A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

We don't have a spot for him, but Duke transfer Joey Baker would be a really good player in the A10.

I saw he had hip surgery after the season ended. Definitely an intriguing name though, I liked him quite a bit out of high school. Looking at his stats, Coach K boned him his freshman year (played in just 4 games, but all at the end of the season so unable to get a redshirt I assume).

Shane Dezonie is back in the transfer portal per sources at St. Joes.  Had verballed from the portal after leaving Vanderbilt.  Former 4-star guard from NE PA.

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Not a transfer.  Likely has 4 years of eligibility.  The A10 will be taller next season.

Do you think the A10 is improving with better players in this crazy time of college free agency.

It appears to me that the A10 is  improving however I claim to be a poor evaluator of players.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Do you think the A10 is improving with better players in this crazy time of college free agency.

It appears to me that the A10 is  improving however I claim to be a poor evaluator of players.

I think the A10 for the most part has seen a net benefit.  It has definitely been helped be the influx of some new coaches that have done well in the portal.

rgbilliken and Bizziken like this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I have no idea.

Predicting the finish order of the A10 will be challenging this year.  You can probably take a decent shot at three tiers, but there will be a lot of guesswork for even that.  The new guys UMass is bringing in, how good are they and/or how good a coach is Martin?  Fordham has a very good freshman class coming in plus a starter off of Georgia Tech's team.  But are they strong enough to power the Rams into the Top Tier?  Archie will have a fairly young class coming in, but are they a year away?  Schmidt will have an entirely new and young team including three who have played serious D1 minutes and a freshman whom SBUnfurled says may be the highest rated recruit in recent history.  Who wants to predict what the Bonnies will do?  Start slow and finish fast?  A year away?  Has VCU reloaded with what they are bringing in plus Watkins and McCallister coming back from injury?  And Loyola?  What will they bring.

It's certainly going to be fun.  My personal top 5, with NBA draft dodgers still uncertain, are SLU, Dayton, VCU, Loyola and UMass.  But I could be totally wrong. If Lee, Burton and/or Oduro return, Davidson, Richmond and George Mason all get better. 

The middle 5 and bottom 5 are a wild card.

CBFan likes this

This is as precipitous a drop as Jordan Nesbitt at SLU.    Which equation is worse:

USC -------- Dayton ---------- Chicago State

Memphis ---- Saint Louis ------ Hampton.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

This is as precipitous a drop as Jordan Nesbitt at SLU.    Which equation is worse:

Chi State won't have a conference after June 30, for any of their sports. The MEAC voted earlier this month not to let Chicago State join. I don't think there's a single DI school that's completely independent. Maybe CS will change that.

7 hours ago, Compton said:

Chi State won't have a conference after June 30, for any of their sports. The MEAC voted earlier this month not to let Chicago State join. I don't think there's a single DI school that's completely independent. Maybe CS will change that.

That place is in terrible financial shape.  Several articles about it on line.  Apparently the coaches can’t recruit in person if they have to travel over 200 miles from campus. Graduation rate is abysmally low too. 

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The Chicago State drop is much worse.  Chicago St. has never been to the NCAA tournament.  Hampton has been to the Big Dance five times  in the last 21 years, including a historic upset over Iowa St.  And they're one of the top HBCUs academically.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, brianstl said:

I think the A10 for the most part has seen a net benefit.  It has definitely been helped be the influx of some new coaches that have done well in the portal.

New coaches are improving the conference. 

brianstl likes this

On 5/26/2022 at 6:39 AM, CBFan said:

There are more players on high major rosters who will wind up playing at the mid major level than the other way around.  They have players 11-13 who aren't getting on to the floor just like we do.  

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

James Bishop is returning to GW. I don't think he was in the portal but was going through the draft evaluation process.

I believe Lee, Burton and Oduro are still out in the NBA evaluation program.  They have until Tuesday to come back in.  None of the three are listed on Verbal Commits Transfer list. So if they come back, it should be to their A10 team.

I have zero inside information, but I'm guessing Lee stays and Burton and Oduro return.  Lee has had a bunch of workouts with NBA teams. 

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I believe Lee, Burton and Oduro are still out in the NBA evaluation program.  They have until Tuesday to come back in.  None of the three are listed on Verbal Commits Transfer list. So if they come back, it should be to their A10 team.

I have zero inside information, but I'm guessing Lee stays and Burton and Oduro return.  Lee has had a bunch of workouts with NBA teams. 

I thought it had already been announced somewhere a while back that Lee was staying in the draft.  This is the most recent thing I'm seeing on Twitter about it, but I recall seeing something even more concrete:

HoosierPal likes this

Transfer protal still growing ... up to 1707 now.  Michael Jones, Davidson, is transferring to Stanford.  Also, just as an FYI, Matthew Mayer of Baylor is going to the Illini.

6’4” guard. Three year Tarheel average of 3.5 ppg. Career 36% three point shooter. Tore his ACL freshman year.  Apparently he got into Coach Davis' doghouse second half of this past season.  For those enamored by stars, he had 4 coming out of HS.

Rams roster is full for this upcoming season.

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Big news for George Mason.

GMU is a hard one to figure out.  Feels in most years this may be a T-4 pre season team, but could still be picked 5-8 next year

As of this morning, fifteen A10 players have yet to find transfer homes.  I have changed the main page to reflect only bold-faced players still out there from the A10.  Amdre Lorentsson is the lone Bill.  

Of the 82 or so transfers out of the A10, six remainin the PRO/evaluation ranks (Burton, Hall, Curry, Williams Brajkovic and Lee).  A quick (opinionated) review of the transfer destinations show me that only 13 transferred "UP" while the other 69 went "DOWN" to play in lesser ranked conferences.  Who Went up?  The Mitchell twins to Arkansas; Welch to Alabama; Ward, Osunniyi and Holmes to Iowa State; Lofton to Florida; Jack Clark to NC State; Clifton Moore to Providence; Hima to Syracuse and Spear to (maybe) Georgetown; Bamisile to Oklahoma; Jones to Stanford.  That's a 16% uptick rate,