A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NBA released the 283 players who have filed as Early Entry Candidates.  Kyle Lofton from St. B and Camara from Dayton are A10 notables on that list that I was unaware had filed.

Let's see.  NBA drafts 60 players, including foreign and G-League based players from the 2 HS teams.  Odds aren't very good if you are on this list.

https://pr.nba.com/nba-announces-early-entry-candidates-for-nba-draft-2022-presented-by-state-farm/

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The NBA released the 283 players who have filed as Early Entry Candidates.  Kyle Lofton from St. B and Camara from Dayton are A10 notables on that list that I wa unaware had filed.

Let's see.  NBA drafts 60 players, including foreign and G-League based players from the 2 HS teams.  Odds aren't very good if you are on this list.

https://pr.nba.com/nba-announces-early-entry-candidates-for-nba-draft-2022-presented-by-state-farm/

Hoosier, it is like Power Ball, if you do not get in (buy a ticket) you have no chance, if you get in the list you have a very small chance of making it.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The NBA released the 283 players who have filed as Early Entry Candidates.  Kyle Lofton from St. B and Camara from Dayton are A10 notables on that list that I wa unaware had filed.

I've seen a lot of folks (you included?) throwing shade at the gigantic number of these "early" entry players who have very little chance of being drafted.  People need to keep in mind that the "early" entry number is inflated because of the extra COVID year of eligibility.  Lofton, for example, played 4 years at St Bonaventure.  I'm assuming he'll get his undergraduate degree this spring if he doesn't already have it.  He normally would not be an early entry at all.  If you're in his shoes and likely going to play basketball professionally somewhere other than the NBA, it makes no sense NOT to put your name in the draft.  NBA also allows players to enter while maintaining their college eligibility and later withdraw before June 13th after the evaluation process.  Jordan Goodwin & Hasahn French did this after their junior years.  For healthy & talented players with remotely realistic NBA hopes, it means no sense NOT to put your name in, get the feedback & later withdraw.

I'd imagine that very few of these players are guys without undergrad degrees who will stay in the draft pool past the deadline, go undrafted and have little chance at an NBA deal as an undrafted free agent.  The few who do are probably making a bad life choice, but college isn't for everyone and they may have a chance to earn good money playing professionally elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I take this to mean Lee is gone, that's bad for the A10

In an interview, he said he’s “Turning pro, hiring an agent, and looking for a management company.” IOW, he gone.

There seems to be a trend of more and more applying for early entry.

2016-162

2017-182

2018-236

2019-233

I left out the Covid years for better comparison.  The vast majority of these withdrew from the draft.  As long as there is no cost to the student, why not see what feedback they get? Most of these players are going to end up heading back to school.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

There seems to be a trend of more and more applying for early entry.

2016-162

2017-182

2018-236

2019-233

I left out the Covid years for better comparison.  The vast majority of these withdrew from the draft.  As long as there is no cost to the student, why not see what feedback they get? Most of these players are going to end up heading back to school.

Are those numbers the guys who entered or the guys who ultimately stayed in the draft?  I know NCAA has tweaked the early entry rules now to generally make them more favorable to college players entering and being able to return later.  Unsure of the timing on all the rule changes, but I'm sure they had an impact on the numbers.

If I recall correctly, the original rule was you couldn't enter at all or you'd lose college eligibility.  Next, they allowed a one time early entry and withdrawal without losing college eligibility as long as you didn't hire an agent.  Now, you can have an agent/advisor as long as they are approved by the NCAA and enter / withdraw as many years as you want.

Those were the guys who entered. In 2019, only 91 of them stuck around for the draft, the rest withdrew and preserved their eligibility for college. I would say it’s safe to assume that a very large number of the ones who are exploring the NBA as underclassmen will withdraw after getting their evaluation.

17 hours ago, stmdragons said:

I wonder if there's a small part of Schmidt that now regrets not taking the UMass job. Bona just doesn't seem like the type of program that can sustain success in this new era of NIL and the portal. 

I think St. Bona is much smaller in size and in numbers of alumni than SLU is. If we are headed for trouble in the NIL environment, it may hit St. Bona much worse than it will hit us.

Man --- go away for eight days and the list keep growing.  So I believe I updated the first post of this thread to reflect who is coming and who is goin int he A10.  One-stop shopping hopefully as we move towards May 1.