OT: Louisville

crymdg2

2 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

The rumor mills are spinning that Mack is out at Louisville. Any chance at all they'd sell their souls to get Pitino back in the folds?

Yes he is out.  And no, I'd be shocked if Pitino at age 70 leaves home to go start a new job.

Just now, thatskablamo said:

Rollie Massimino did. 

Absolutely no Idea who that is.  And yes it has happened.  I just don't think it will with Rick, especially considering how it originally ended. Would be funny tho.

A10Ref likes this

Pitino will take Iona to the final 4 and make his case that he is the GOAT.

Chris Mack is out.  Being finalized today.

Louisville wants Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, Mick Cronin, Eric Musselman

10 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

The rumor mills are spinning that Mack is out at Louisville. Any chance at all they'd sell their souls to get Pitino back in the folds?

The same pride that forced them to cut ties with Pitino will convince them that they can do better than both.  They might be right.  Or that may be on the same road that sent Indiana to basketball purgatory after they canned Bobby Knight.  It's too early to tell.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Beard and Cronin are pipe dreams for Louisville. They have no AD and no President; I don't think the job will be as attractive as they think it is. 

I've also seen Kenny Payne's name tossed around.

JMM28 likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Absolutely no Idea who that is.  And yes it has happened.  I just don't think it will with Rick, especially considering how it originally ended. Would be funny tho.

Yikes

Massimino won the National Title with Villanova in 85 in the upset victory over Georgetown, what is arguably the greatest college basketball game ever.

He later coached at UNLV & Cleveland St.  When he was 70 he coached an NAIA squad in Florida for 10 years.

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

massimino was the legendary villanova coach who was there a trillion years and won a national championship in the 80's there.   pure coach.   not just a salesman. 

that 1985 national championship game was one of my favorites ever.   bigtime underdog to georgetown and they came out and couldnt miss.   i bet the shooting percentage they had that game is a record.  (too lazy to look it up)

dennis_w likes this

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Yikes

Massimino won the National Title with Villanova in 85 in the upset victory over Georgetown, what is arguably the greatest college basketball game ever.

He later coached at UNLV & Cleveland St.  When he was 70 he coached an NAIA squad in Florida for 10 years.

I was 12 the last time we coached D1.  I'm decently educated on history of college basketball and this guy I've never come across. 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

massimino was the legendary villanova coach who was there a trillion years and won a national championship in the 80's there.   pure coach.   not just a salesman. 

that 1985 national championship game was one of my favorites ever.   bigtime underdog to georgetown and they came out and couldnt miss.   i bet the shooting percentage they had that game is a record.  (too lazy to look it up)

gotcha, yea I wasn't born for 99% of his coaching tenure. 

10 minutes ago, NH said:

Beard and Cronin are pipe dreams for Louisville. They have no AD and no President; I don't think the job will be as attractive as they think it is. 

watched an interview with cronin last night on espn sportscenter and he had some soft disguised issues with coaching in the pacific coast time zone at ucla.   without even knowing about this louisville thing going on and an interest in cronin i immediately thought to myself, i bet he isnt long for the leaving of ucla.  

ucla is gotta e a tough place to coach.    whoever takes it is still compared to wooden which is an impossible match up.   

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Bruce would never leave Auburn, Its too prefect of a fit. Mick and Beard are at their dream jobs. Musselman seems like a flake, could see that. Would actually love to see that. 

1 hour ago, NH said:

The Yum Center is one of the best buildings in America. Huge fan base paying big bucks. Don't bet against the almighty dollar.  

1 hour ago, NH said:

Does the board do the firing if there is no AD or President?  You'd think one of those two positions would be filled before hiring a new coach.

6 minutes ago, willie said:

The Yum Center is one of the best buildings in America. Huge fan base paying big bucks. Don't bet against the almighty dollar.  

Texas has more money, better conf. And beard went to Texas. 

25 minutes ago, gister said:

Does the board do the firing if there is no AD or President?  You'd think one of those two positions would be filled before hiring a new coach.

There is a scheduled Board of Trustees meeting tonight at 6 with an executive session as the first item on the agenda after the reading of the previous meeting's minutes.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Bruce would never leave Auburn, Its too prefect of a fit. Mick and Beard are at their dream jobs. Musselman seems like a flake, could see that. Would actually love to see that. 

According to the Googled list, Mack is at $3.8 M and Cronin at $3.6M.  Who knows what that all includes or how accurate it is.  We know that taxes in CA far exceed taxes in KY.  Cronin is from Cincy.  The Pac 12 typically is behind most of the other P6 conferences.  It won't hurt L'ville to ask Cronin if he is interested.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches/