Jump to content

Midtown Madness: S2E3 Full MBB Schedule, Conf. Shakeup & SLU, MSOC Resurgence, WSOC Struggles, BSB Alumni Update


Recommended Posts

  • Men's Basketball Full Schedule Released
  • Men's Basketball Recruiting: New Offers, Thames and Kramer shine in the Ramey Fall League
  • Conference Realignment and SLU
  • Women's Basketball Offers
  • Men's Soccer Recaps and Bronze Boot Preview
  • Women's Soccer Recaps and Dayton Preview
  • Volleyball Results: Maya Taylor 1500 Kills, Kent Miller 150 Billiken wins
  • Baseball Alumni in the Pros Update
  • Field Hockey Updates

Brought to you by ohsnap! The phone grip that doesn't suck. Use promo code MIDTOWN15 for 15% off your order at ohsnap.com


View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

First, let me say that you guys are more than welcome to post and interact in the different SLU sports threads (and other sports threads) here, where the discussion is open to unlimited amounts of people instead of just two. That’s why we’re here, for everyone to be an equal participant in SLU sports discussion. We have some good posters here, and, hopefully we’ll continue to gain more. All levels of sports knowledge (and other sport) knowledge and interest are welcome. Having some interest, and posting respectfully with everyone is all anyone would ask.

I know you guys have been posting your podcast project here frequently in several new threads seeking some feedback.

It’s good that you have SLU affiliated guests. I think there is plenty of SLU sports fan interest to see and hear SLU subjects. Having SLU guest(s) when they are available, in my opinion, would be an effective direction to go w/your podcast content, even if that is less available than weekly. (Something similar to what SLU AD Chris May does with his Billiken podcast. Maybe listening to and discussing other SLU podcasts here in the threads would also be helpful.)

By posting it here, I am sure some people here would also be kind enough to provide helpful prep suggestions, questions, topics, interviewing suggestions, podcast suggestions, when talking with those SLU people. 

I think where you have a lot of challenges is here:

Trying to do a weekly recap on a variety of sports, some of which you might not see, and/or might not know some of the behind the scenes ongoings, yet still speculating about, may not be the most effective direction.

This can often lead to guessing (sometimes incorrectly) about specifics in a game, behind the scenes ongoings, etc and/or lifting/regurgitating information from elsewhere without mentioning where you received the information. Here in this podcast it appears you did this with some games, as well as in other previous podcasts about various topics. 

Sometimes things can be a bit benign such as mentioning that a game is in extra time when it is in fact isn’t, as you did on Twitter during a Men’s Soccer game here:

https://twitter.com/midtownmadpod/status/1427259003206254595?s=21

Being there or seeing the game would avoid this type of thing. Or you can always either avoid a topic or mention where you received the information.

Another example, as you even say, neither of you attended or saw the Purdue game. But then you spoke specifically about the game itself, and specific aspects relating to the game and team. At times phrases and sentences were lifted word for word from elsewhere without referencing those places. (This has also happened other times) For example,’if you get something from here, it might be better form to simply reference Billikens Dot Com. I don’t believe I have seen or heard this website mentioned much if at all in your podcast, which is a little bit surprising, since your podcast is posted here often.

Injuries, suspensions, etc the specifics matter, in order to sound more credible, and to avoid (sometimes inaccurate) speculation when discussing topics. And, sometimes these things change frequently. 

Saying you don’t know something and stopping there, is a perfectly fine approach, and always acceptable. Or asking someone else who may know and referencing it, wherever that may be, can be more effective too. It’s like having a client and not knowing an answer to their question. Saying you don’t know, but you will find out as soon as you can, and get back with them, is always a good acceptable answer.(and stopping there) It can give you more credibility with that client. Or, saying we didn’t see something but here is where and what we learned from some others after the fact, would perhaps be more effective than speculating on something you didn’t see, attend or know. That can also apply to specific games, prep, personnel, adjustments, etc and the changes, variations that apply. 

Another time(s) you posted on social media how much you didn’t want to be attending a SLU sporting event, etc…but then later you did a recap and promoted the same sport. Those things seem to oppose each other. On social media, when applicable, it may also be more effective to simply retweet some things on Twitter rather than quote tweet and say the same thing that’s in the quoted tweet.

I think making your podcast and social media about speaking with guests can avoid some of those other types of things, and the guest interactions can speak for themselves.

We haven’t seen you guys take part here very often in some of the various sports threads, referenced in your podcasts. You seem to have a lot of interest in some of those topics elsewhere. You’re more than welcome to join us here in those discussions. Again, that’s why we’re here. I think that is the odd thing for me. I think engaging in the discussion here can help you with some of those things. 

Hope the feedback helps. Good luck with your other project.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, courtside said:

Hey guys, 

First, let me say that you guys are more than welcome to post and interact in the different SLU sports threads (and other sports threads) here, where the discussion is open to unlimited amounts of people instead of just two. That’s why we’re here, for everyone to be an equal participant in SLU sports discussion. We have some good posters here, and, hopefully we’ll continue to gain more. All levels of sports knowledge (and other sport) knowledge and interest are welcome. Having some interest, and posting respectfully with everyone is all anyone would ask.

I know you guys have been posting your podcast project here frequently in several new threads seeking some feedback.

It’s good that you have SLU affiliated guests. I think there is plenty of SLU sports fan interest to see and hear SLU subjects. Having SLU guest(s) when they are available, in my opinion, would be an effective direction to go w/your podcast content, even if that is less available than weekly. (Something similar to what SLU AD Chris May does with his Billiken podcast. Maybe listening to and discussing other SLU podcasts here in the threads would also be helpful.)

By posting it here, I am sure some people here would also be kind enough to provide helpful prep suggestions, questions, topics, interviewing suggestions, podcast suggestions, when talking with those SLU people. 

I think where you have a lot of challenges is here:

Trying to do a weekly recap on a variety of sports, some of which you might not see, and/or might not know some of the behind the scenes ongoings, yet still speculating about, may not be the most effective direction.

This can often lead to guessing (sometimes incorrectly) about specifics in a game, behind the scenes ongoings, etc and/or lifting/regurgitating information from elsewhere without mentioning where you received the information. Here in this podcast it appears you did this with some games, as well as in other previous podcasts about various topics. 

Sometimes things can be a bit benign such as mentioning that a game is in extra time when it is in fact isn’t, as you did on Twitter during a Men’s Soccer game here:

https://twitter.com/midtownmadpod/status/1427259003206254595?s=21

Being there or seeing the game would avoid this type of thing. Or you can always either avoid a topic or mention where you received the information.

Another example, as you even say, neither of you attended or saw the Purdue game. But then you spoke specifically about the game itself, and specific aspects relating to the game and team. At times phrases and sentences were lifted word for word from elsewhere without referencing those places. (This has also happened other times) For example,’if you get something from here, it might be better form to simply reference Billikens Dot Com. I don’t believe I have seen or heard this website mentioned much if at all in your podcast, which is a little bit surprising, since your podcast is posted here often.

Injuries, suspensions, etc the specifics matter, in order to sound more credible, and to avoid (sometimes inaccurate) speculation when discussing topics. And, sometimes these things change frequently. 

Saying you don’t know something and stopping there, is a perfectly fine approach, and always acceptable. Or asking someone else who may know and referencing it, wherever that may be, can be more effective too. It’s like having a client and not knowing an answer to their question. Saying you don’t know, but you will find out as soon as you can, and get back with them, is always a good acceptable answer.(and stopping there) It can give you more credibility with that client. Or, saying we didn’t see something but here is where and what we learned from some others after the fact, would perhaps be more effective than speculating on something you didn’t see, attend or know. That can also apply to specific games, prep, personnel, adjustments, etc and the changes, variations that apply. 

Another time(s) you posted on social media how much you didn’t want to be attending a SLU sporting event, etc…but then later you did a recap and promoted the same sport. Those things seem to oppose each other. On social media, when applicable, it may also be more effective to simply retweet some things on Twitter rather than quote tweet and say the same thing that’s in the quoted tweet.

I think making your podcast and social media about speaking with guests can avoid some of those other types of things, and the guest interactions can speak for themselves.

We haven’t seen you guys take part here very often in some of the various sports threads, referenced in your podcasts. You seem to have a lot of interest in some of those topics elsewhere. You’re more than welcome to join us here in those discussions. Again, that’s why we’re here. I think that is the odd thing for me. I think engaging in the discussion here can help you with some of those things. 

Hope the feedback helps. Good luck with your other project.

 

I appreciate you taking the time to write out such detailed feedback and we will definitely discuss the points you've made as a way to improve our coverage. I will say this, Peter and I are both here participating in discussions and threads for all sports under our personal handles which, myself at least has tried to keep as an "open secret" that doesn't take much to figure out if you really want to. I am also pretty self conscious about my writing ability compared to my verbal skills(which are still barely above average). Personally I don't like writing and don't think I'm very good at it. I can't tell you how many times I've written out posts on this board and deleted them before posting. Same with twitter, it's just not worth it for me to get sucked into written discussions online. It's probably part laziness and part lack of an attention span. Also if I'm going to talk about something on the pod, I'd rather people listen to what I have to say there than read it here. When I do post it's generally silly and lighthearted stuff.  I don't think Peter and I are ever intentionally referencing posts or regurgitating posts(unless they are our own) on purpose. I know personally I don't script much of anything, I have an outline in front of me with queues and just go with my opinion I'm feeling at that moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for listening, truly.

Also, thanks for letting us know we're welcome to post and interact here, which I've been doing for 15 years and Zac - @billikenfan05 - even longer. We both plan to continue doing so.

At a high level, the aim of our show is to be a fun, welcoming, positive, and informative place for all SLU sports fans. We could make it men's basketball-only, as that is unquestionably the largest draw of the athletic department in general interest, attendance, traffic here, and our show/Twitter feed. But covering the other sports has given us another dimension and we've gained traction especially with soccer fans. The Katie Shields interview, for example, was by far our most successful show until we had Travis Ford on. We got word that a lot of players and their families listened to it and enjoyed it, which was great for us to hear.

I don't want to get into the weeds by addressing every individual item in your post, but want to address them in a more general sense by saying this:

  • We've only been doing this together for 7 months. It's new, it's early, and it's a work in progress. We're learning and always trying to improve.
  • We make mistakes. We have an outline but we're covering a lot of topics in a relatively short time and some things get overlooked or mixed up. We don't have a producer.
  • There are two of us, which means sometimes things get said/posted that might contradict (or correct) something that was said/posted previously. I think our chemistry continues to get better but we're still two minds.
  • We're also two busy people with full-time jobs. Mine also happens to be in the busiest time of the year. I also have a 5- and 2-year-old and between them and work, this show is the bulk of my vanishingly small amount of free time. I would love to be able to get deeper into the details of everything we cover to improve my knowledge but it just isn't possible. And it means we also can't watch or attend every single event.
  • We have a finite amount of time on every show. If we were to cover every game with the level of detail put into your posts on individual soccer games, each show would be longer than a Marvel movie - something we neither have the time or desire to do, and something that would also alienate listeners because we have to give them something they can digest.
  • A lot of our commentary is the result of reading this board, the official site, social media, and whatever else we come across. We will try to do a better job of attribution moving forward (not necessarily a standard all of sports media is held to, but still). If you think we've stolen individual ideas from your posts, it's not our intention.
  • We love having guests on, but we don't just have an open line to every SLU sports-affiliated person at any time. We're not credentialed media members and there are certain unofficial barriers between those employed by the AD/school and an unofficial podcast by and for fans. Guests come on our show out of pure graciousness on their part - we can't pay, and we only have so much reach to promote what they do.

This is a labor of love and takes a lot of time and energy, and we don't make a dime from it. We see covering the non-revenue sports as a value add for SLU fans, most of whom are more casual when it comes to those sports. As we've picked up more soccer, volleyball, and other fans along the way, we're continuing to work to get better. The basketball season is really our bread and butter and the thing we follow closest all year long - and keep in mind, we only started toward the end of last basketball season.

Your soccer posts show a level of detail that we just can't realistically manage. It's also not what we're shooting for. But hopefully this gives you a better idea of who we are and what we're trying to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Midtown Madness said:

I appreciate you taking the time to write out such detailed feedback and we will definitely discuss the points you've made as a way to improve our coverage. I will say this, Peter and I are both here participating in discussions and threads for all sports under our personal handles which, myself at least has tried to keep as an "open secret" that doesn't take much to figure out if you really want to. I am also pretty self conscious about my writing ability compared to my verbal skills(which are still barely above average). Personally I don't like writing and don't think I'm very good at it. I can't tell you how many times I've written out posts on this board and deleted them before posting. Same with twitter, it's just not worth it for me to get sucked into written discussions online. It's probably part laziness and part lack of an attention span. Also if I'm going to talk about something on the pod, I'd rather people listen to what I have to say there than read it here. When I do post it's generally silly and lighthearted stuff.  I don't think Peter and I are ever intentionally referencing posts or regurgitating posts(unless they are our own) on purpose. I know personally I don't script much of anything, I have an outline in front of me with queues and just go with my opinion I'm feeling at that moment.

Respectfully, it happens every podcast. I will give you a new example from this week’s podcast. 

I wrote on this board the other day, “Fortunate play for SLU to get the handball in the box. But if you keep pressing and forcing corners and free kicks, you create more opportunities for yourself.”

Here’s what Peter said at 41:40 of your most recent podcast about the same game topic:

“Lucky handball in the box. If you keep getting the ball in the box and keep giving yourself corner kicks (he mixed up corners and free kicks and blended them together) a little luck is going to go your way.”

I have lots and lots of other examples from your podcasts. I’m not trying to embarrass you guys but at some point I think It’s important to say something because there may be people out there that listen to your podcasts and think this is your own material. It isn’t some of the time, and I’m not the only person whose information was used as if it was your own. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, courtside said:

Respectfully, it happens every podcast. I will give you a new example from this week’s podcast. 

I wrote on this board the other day, “Fortunate play for SLU to get the handball in the box. But if you keep pressing and forcing corners and free kicks, you create more opportunities for yourself.”

Here’s what Peter said at 41:40 of your most recent podcast about the same game topic:

“Lucky handball in the box. If you keep getting the ball in the box and keep giving yourself corner kicks (he mixed up corners and free kicks and blended them together) a little luck is going to go your way.”

I have lots and lots of other examples from your podcasts. I’m not trying to embarrass you guys but at some point I think It’s important to say something because there may be people out there that listen to your podcasts and think this is your own material. It isn’t some of the time, and I’m not the only person whose information was used as if it was your own. 

 

With all due respect, we both watched that game and the idea that if you keep putting pressure on you're going to make your own luck, is not some deep dive analysis. Peter and I both read this board and if he's like me most of it is on cruise control skimming posts so again if we're paraphrasing it's subconscious or just that we also had that same thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks for listening, truly.

Also, thanks for letting us know we're welcome to post and interact here, which I've been doing for 15 years and Zac - @billikenfan05 - even longer. We both plan to continue doing so.

At a high level, the aim of our show is to be a fun, welcoming, positive, and informative place for all SLU sports fans. We could make it men's basketball-only, as that is unquestionably the largest draw of the athletic department in general interest, attendance, traffic here, and our show/Twitter feed. But covering the other sports has given us another dimension and we've gained traction especially with soccer fans. The Katie Shields interview, for example, was by far our most successful show until we had Travis Ford on. We got word that a lot of players and their families listened to it and enjoyed it, which was great for us to hear.

I don't want to get into the weeds by addressing every individual item in your post, but want to address them in a more general sense by saying this:

  • We've only been doing this together for 7 months. It's new, it's early, and it's a work in progress. We're learning and always trying to improve.
  • We make mistakes. We have an outline but we're covering a lot of topics in a relatively short time and some things get overlooked or mixed up. We don't have a producer.
  • There are two of us, which means sometimes things get said/posted that might contradict (or correct) something that was said/posted previously. I think our chemistry continues to get better but we're still two minds.
  • We're also two busy people with full-time jobs. Mine also happens to be in the busiest time of the year. I also have a 5- and 2-year-old and between them and work, this show is the bulk of my vanishingly small amount of free time. I would love to be able to get deeper into the details of everything we cover to improve my knowledge but it just isn't possible. And it means we also can't watch or attend every single event.
  • We have a finite amount of time on every show. If we were to cover every game with the level of detail put into your posts on individual soccer games, each show would be longer than a Marvel movie - something we neither have the time or desire to do, and something that would also alienate listeners because we have to give them something they can digest.
  • A lot of our commentary is the result of reading this board, the official site, social media, and whatever else we come across. We will try to do a better job of attribution moving forward (not necessarily a standard all of sports media is held to, but still). If you think we've stolen individual ideas from your posts, it's not our intention.
  • We love having guests on, but we don't just have an open line to every SLU sports-affiliated person at any time. We're not credentialed media members and there are certain unofficial barriers between those employed by the AD/school and an unofficial podcast by and for fans. Guests come on our show out of pure graciousness on their part - we can't pay, and we only have so much reach to promote what they do.

This is a labor of love and takes a lot of time and energy, and we don't make a dime from it. We see covering the non-revenue sports as a value add for SLU fans, most of whom are more casual when it comes to those sports. As we've picked up more soccer, volleyball, and other fans along the way, we're continuing to work to get better. The basketball season is really our bread and butter and the thing we follow closest all year long - and keep in mind, we only started toward the end of last basketball season.

Your soccer posts show a level of detail that we just can't realistically manage. It's also not what we're shooting for. But hopefully this gives you a better idea of who we are and what we're trying to do.

That’s a lot of words to say you take other people’s info (not just mine) sometimes word for word, and not credit where you received the information. Your response is what someone would say whose hand was caught in the cookie jar. It’s one thing to post “your” podcasts on social media. It takes pretty big onions to come here, self promote frequently, copying lots of material of the same people here, and re-posting it to them as if to say come listen to us talk about the information you provided as if it were our own.

I could have been much more harsh about it and I could have reached out much sooner about it. 

All you had to do was say this info from xyz etc….

That’s why I politely suggested limiting your podcasts to interviewing a SLU guest and leaving it at that. Between using non credited information elsewhere and incorrect wild speculation of other things, that may be a better fit.

Respectfully, this is Billikens Dot Com not Peter and Zac Dot com.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Midtown Madness said:

With all due respect, we both watched that game and the idea that if you keep putting pressure on you're going to make your own luck, is not some deep dive analysis. Peter and I both read this board and if he's like me most of it is on cruise control skimming posts so again if we're paraphrasing it's subconscious or just that we also had that same thought.

Respectfully,

This is the time you may want to stop trying to back and forth me. I am happy to post quote after quote game after game, time stamps, including the games you didn’t see. And from your podcasts you freely admit  you are unaware of some of the behind the scenes things as well. 

Should we do the Purdue game which neither of you saw? “Limited minutes” “Back post goals.”? 

If neither of you saw the game, and neither of you knew from behind the scenes conversations, how would you know about a specific player’s return to play under very specific conditions…other than word for word from what i previously posted? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was trying to be polite before. I don't read your full posts. I have skimmed them before.

We generally record on Sunday nights. I don't read the board much if at all on weekends.

If you think I'm stealing, I'll go ahead and put you on the ignore list to make it impossible.

The bottom line is: When you post every single possible detail about a game and then two guys talk about that game for a few minutes and make a few points about it, the odds are pretty high that one or more of those few points are going to sound similar to the exhaustive list of thoughts shared previously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think @Midtown Madness really needs to be defended and I also can't claim to have read all of the above posts (which I'm sure are fascinating) but I think these threads are automatically posted as a billikens.com feature. This same account makes similar posts for several SLU podcasts (which I appreciate).

Secondly, they are very obviously creating this content as fans. They are not paid journalists, nor do they ever pretend to be. Frankly, I encourage them to use more wild speculation and non credited information. Nobody is gaining or losing anything from it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, courtside said:

Respectfully,

This is the time you may want to stop trying to back and forth me. I am happy to post quote after quote game after game, time stamps, including the games you didn’t see. And from your podcasts you freely admit  you are unaware of some of the behind the scenes things as well. 

Should we do the Purdue game which neither of you saw? “Limited minutes” “Back post goals.”? 

If neither of you saw the game, and neither of you knew from behind the scenes conversations, how would you know about a specific player’s return to play under very specific conditions…other than word for word from what i previously posted? 

 

httpBs://twitter.com/SLUWSoccer/status/1434589990827212802?s=2The SLU women's soccer twitter account posted both goals. After closely watching them it was determined both were back post headers.

This is insane. This kind of stuff is why Ben Wiexelmann and Nate Latsch quit doing Billiken Report(besides the lack of monetary compensation).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Midtown Madness said:

httpBs://twitter.com/SLUWSoccer/status/1434589990827212802?s=2The SLU women's soccer twitter account posted both goals. After closely watching them it was determined both were back post headers.

This is insane. This kind of stuff is why Ben Wiexelmann and Nate Latsch quit doing Billiken Report(besides the lack of monetary compensation).

I’m happy to go back through what I wrote and what was said on that podcast or others. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midtown Madness said:

httpBs://twitter.com/SLUWSoccer/status/1434589990827212802?s=2The SLU women's soccer twitter account posted both goals. After closely watching them it was determined both were back post headers.

This is insane. This kind of stuff is why Ben Wiexelmann and Nate Latsch quit doing Billiken Report(besides the lack of monetary compensation).

It's a fan podcast.  You can't please everybody.  Taking MBM commentary too seriously will turn your labor of love into plain old labor.  Don't do it.   We already have offline life for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, courtside said:

Respectfully,

This is the time you may want to stop trying to back and forth me. I am happy to post quote after quote game after game, time stamps, including the games you didn’t see. And from your podcasts you freely admit  you are unaware of some of the behind the scenes things as well. 

Should we do the Purdue game which neither of you saw? “Limited minutes” “Back post goals.”? 

If neither of you saw the game, and neither of you knew from behind the scenes conversations, how would you know about a specific player’s return to play under very specific conditions…other than word for word from what i previously posted? 

 

ebdacffa7ebe3db849b6b1284e720ef5.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NH said:

I don't think @Midtown Madness really needs to be defended and I also can't claim to have read all of the above posts (which I'm sure are fascinating) but I think these threads are automatically posted as a billikens.com feature. This same account makes similar posts for several SLU podcasts (which I appreciate).

Secondly, they are very obviously creating this content as fans. They are not paid journalists, nor do they ever pretend to be. Frankly, I encourage them to use more wild speculation and non credited information. Nobody is gaining or losing anything from it. 

I also appreciate original content.

They often aren’t creating new content unless it is an interview with a subject. That’s why I suggested possibly limiting their podcasts to that, or reference where you receive information. 

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a fan podcast.  You can't please everybody.  Taking MBM commentary too seriously will turn your labor of love into plain old labor.  Don't do it.   We already have offline life for that.

I simply suggested limiting the podcast to interviews. If you go back to the Katie Shields podcast, I posted in support and encouragement of what you were doing despite it being a little rough around the edges with delivery. I even said people would be happy to offer question suggestions for you. Go ahead and go back and look for yourself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just want to say that I really appreciate what @billikenfan05 and @Pistol do with the Podcast.  It can be a little rough around the edge at times compared to professionally produced sports Podcasts that we're likely used to.  However, for a couple MBMs, it is fantasic.

I also really appreciate what @courtside does with the soccer threads here on the board.  I don't follow soccer that closely, so detailed recaps are nice.

I've listened to all the Podcasts and read most of the soccer stuff and have never once thought that the Midtown Madness guys were ripping, you off @courtside.  I think you're being a little paranoid.

There also isn't some kind of struggle for attention between the Podcast and this message board.  People who read the board can/will listen to the Podcast and vice versa.  You can do both.  Having both is a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, courtside said:

I also appreciate original content.

They often aren’t creating new content unless it is an interview with a subject. That’s why I suggested possibly limiting their podcasts to that, or reference where you receive information. 

I simply suggested limiting the podcast to interviews. If you go back to your Katie Shields podcast, I posted in support and encouragement of what you were doing despite it being a little rough around the edges with delivery. I even said people would be happy to offer question suggestions for you. Go ahead and go back and look for yourself. 

This is wild.  @Pistol creates an insane amount of NEW content with his recruiting work.  I guess you could make an (incorrect, IMO) argument that he is just compiling things you could find yourself on Twitter or elsewhere.  That's totally wrong though because he's the one putting in the work to find & compile all that stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks for listening, truly.

Also, thanks for letting us know we're welcome to post and interact here, which I've been doing for 15 years and Zac - @billikenfan05 - even longer. We both plan to continue doing so.

 

-dripping, I'll take a guess without having read the rest that no meeting of the minds takes place

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I just want to say that I really appreciate what @billikenfan05 and @Pistol do with the Podcast.  It can be a little rough around the edge at times compared to professionally produced sports Podcasts that we're likely used to.  However, for a couple MBMs, it is fantasic.

I also really appreciate what @courtside does with the soccer threads here on the board.  I don't follow soccer that closely, so detailed recaps are nice.

I've listened to all the Podcasts and read most of the soccer stuff and have never once thought that the Midtown Madness guys were ripping, you off @courtside.  I think you're being a little paranoid.

There also isn't some kind of struggle for attention between the Podcast and this message board.  People who read the board can/will listen to the Podcast and vice versa.  You can do both.  Having both is a good thing.

Thank you RU. This is the last thing I'm going to post about the subject because like I said, I hate writing and furthermore hate posting back and forth on message boards or twitter. The accusation of plagiarism courtside is leveling is completely ridiculous. As much as I hate writing, I also don't read very much, especially long posts or articles. The idea that I not only read enough of Courtside's posts to digest and paraphrase or just straight up plagiarize is laughable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I just want to say that I really appreciate what @billikenfan05 and @Pistol do with the Podcast.  It can be a little rough around the edge at times compared to professionally produced sports Podcasts that we're likely used to.  However, for a couple MBMs, it is fantasic.

I also really appreciate what @courtside does with the soccer threads here on the board.  I don't follow soccer that closely, so detailed recaps are nice.

I've listened to all the Podcasts and read most of the soccer stuff and have never once thought that the Midtown Madness guys were ripping, you off @courtside.  I think you're being a little paranoid.

There also isn't some kind of struggle for attention between the Podcast and this message board.  People who read the board can/will listen to the Podcast and vice versa.  You can do both.  Having both is a good thing.

Like I said, the non interview portion often either takes info from elsewhere without referencing that, (they know this) or often speculates incorrectly about things they didn’t see or don’t know. (some of which I know)

It’s a bit strange to me that neither of those guys take part in the back and forth of thread discussion about some topics, yet take part in that type of discussion on their podcast. It’d be different if they engaged in back and forth discussion in the threads first. If I am going to take the time to attend and watch games and post about them, at the very least I expect that others aren’t going to use it elsewhere without referencing that it came from Billikens Dot Com. I don’t need to be singled out. If they are supposed to be recapping things here, why don’t they reference this place when they speak.? 

Why aren’t they  directing more traffic to Billikens Dot Com or wherever they get their information, if that’s what it’s supposed to be about? If their podcast is supposed to be in part, a recap of this site,’I would think they would be encouraging people on their podcast to come here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is wild.  @Pistol creates an insane amount of NEW content with his recruiting work.  I guess you could make an (incorrect, IMO) argument that he is just compiling things you could find yourself on Twitter or elsewhere.  That's totally wrong though because he's the one putting in the work to find & compile all that stuff.

No. Pistol has copied, often times word for word things I’ve written in the Soccer threads as if it were his own material in his podcasts. That isn’t really ethical to me. Again, any sort of friendly Billikens Dot Com reference in general would suffice. If I take the time to watch the games and post about them, that’s the least I would ask. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...