O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

The word on some of the Notre Dame blogs is if the ACC implodes, ND would likely look to join the Big East for as many sports as possible (not football or hockey, to name two that come to mind quickly).  That possible scenario has implications for SLU's hopes to join the Big East.

SLU doesn't have hopes of joining the big east. We suck and have demolished our fanbase by being OK with mediocrity. Check the attendance numbers.

We have hopes of joining the Valley if VCU or Dayton ever leave the A10, and from that perspective ND joining the beast is a good thing for us. We have to tie VCU and Dayton to our sinking ship.

We have a one bid league now. This is not good.

13 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

The word on some of the Notre Dame blogs is if the ACC implodes, ND would likely look to join the Big East for as many sports as possible (not football or hockey, to name two that come to mind quickly).  That possible scenario has implications for SLU's hopes to join the Big East.

ND is going to end up in the SEC or the Big 10.  Scheduling is just going to become too difficult for ND when the SEC goes to a nine game conference schedule like the Big 10.

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

ND is going to end up in the SEC or the Big 10.  Scheduling is just going to become too difficult for ND when the SEC goes to a nine game conference schedule like the Big 10.

People have been saying this for 20 years. While the big 10 would make sense there is no way they would ever join the SEC. They just renewed their contract with NBC so I wouldn't hold my breath on either. 

36 minutes ago, willie said:

People have been saying this for 20 years. While the big 10 would make sense there is no way they would ever join the SEC. They just renewed their contract with NBC so I wouldn't hold my breath on either. 

I hadn’t heard they renewed. Evidently NBC must be making money off their FB legacy. Surprised since it is going to be tougher for the Irish to get games against the bigs of the SEC , Big10 and Big 12. But, they are ND and teams know that means a bowl atmosphere every time they play them. So who knows. 

36 minutes ago, willie said:

Scheduling trouble has been the one stated reason from ND that they would change their position on joining a conference.  The Big 10 going to nine games has already made it harder for them to schedule schedule Big 10 opponents.  ND has future series with A&M, Arkansas, and Alabama.  Those games all become at risk as soon as the SEC goes to a nine game schedule.  The USC series isn't schedule past 2026 and USC isn't an automatic play every year extension because they have to deal with the the loss of one non con date every year now that they are joining the Big Ten.  If the ACC blows up they lose quality games against Florida St, Clemson, Miami, UNC and NC State going forward.  To have a schedule that will put them in playoff contention and games their fans want to see, they are going to have to join a conference for football if/when the ACC blows up.

The would join the SEC for the same reason as the joined the ACC, exposure in the southeast/south.  That is where the most future students are. 

The NBC deal wouldn't prohibit Notre Dame from joining a conference.  First, I would assume for their own protection ND has an out in the deal if they have to join a conference.  Second, both the Big 10 and the SEC would come to some accommodation if needed with NBC if it meant adding the ND brand to the conference.  Both the SEC and the Big 10 will distribute for more money to their members going forward than the rumored $44 million that the ND is getting from NBC in their new deal.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Scheduling trouble has been the one stated reason from ND that they would change their position on joining a conference.  The Big 10 going to nine games has already made it harder for them to schedule schedule Big 10 opponents.  ND has future series with A&M, Arkansas, and Alabama.  Those games all become at risk as soon as the SEC goes to a nine game schedule.  The USC series isn't schedule past 2026 and USC isn't an automatic play every year extension because they have to deal with the the loss of one non con date every year now that they are joining the Big Ten.  If the ACC blows up they lose quality games against Florida St, Clemson, Miami, UNC and NC State going forward.  To have a schedule that will put them in playoff contention and games their fans want to see, they are going to have to join a conference for football if/when the ACC blows up.

The would join the SEC for the same reason as the joined the ACC, exposure in the southeast/south.  That is where the most future students are. 

The NBC deal wouldn't prohibit Notre Dame from joining a conference.  First, I would assume for their own protection ND has an out in the deal if they have to join a conference.  Second, both the Big 10 and the SEC would come to some accommodation if needed with NBC if it meant adding the ND brand to the conference.  Both the SEC and the Big 10 will distribute for more money to their members going forward than the rumored $44 million that the ND is getting from NBC in their new deal.

You certainly have a lot of if's and conditions in there. ND is not a cultural fit for the SEC. 

billiken_roy likes this

For what it’s worth, “Front Office Sports” reported that Notre Dame is getting $50 million annually through 2029 from NBC. (This is in addition to their current $17.4 million annually from the ACC. Also below)

https://frontofficesports.com/notre-dame-and-nbc-extend-media-rights-agreement-to-2029/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-leads-power-five-conferences-with-845-6-million-in-revenue-in-2022-fiscal-year-per-report/

Notre Dame has publicly said that it wants its TV money to be within $10-15 million annually, or striking distance, from the Big 10/SEC, where they can make up the $ difference.

ND football games had some of the highest ratings of this season in college football. At midseason, only Colorado had more viewers. They had at least 5 top 25 (at the time) games through that period. (Nielsen)

willie likes this

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

True SEC teams can win the FB National Championship.

And let's not forget the Big 10 has been far more scandal plagued over the last 15-20 years than the SEC has.  It isn't even close in the scale of the scandals or total number.  

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

And let's not forget the Big 10 has been far more scandal plagued over the last 15-20 years than the SEC has.  It isn't even close in the scale of the scandals or total number.  

Maybe the SEC does a better job of sweeping them under the rug. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

You mean like a school Dr molesting over 150 athletes or a coach doing the same at the team facility?

Nah SEC schools hate each other they love to help expose any issue at other schools. Hell the Atlanta Journal Constitution went at UGA before the season because they had multiple driving incidents.

But I agree if ND were to join a conference the B10 has their more traditional rivals.

brianstl likes this

2 minutes ago, willie said:

The stuff the Big 10 has been guilty of can't just be swept up under the rug like a bag of money being handed to a player or some funny stuff going on with grades.  Maybe the SEC schools just care more about not hiring sexual predators.  Penn St., Michigan, Michigan St and Ohio St all had monsters working for decades for them who used their athletic departments to get their victims.

Soderball likes this

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The stuff the Big 10 has been guilty of can't just be swept up under the rug like a bag of money being handed to a player or some funny stuff going on with grades.  Maybe the SEC schools just care more about not hiring sexual predators.  Penn St., Michigan, Michigan St and Ohio St all had monsters working for decades for them who used their athletic departments to get their victims.

ND might not have this problem, it's hard to molest a fake online girlfriend.

Soderball likes this

Back on the A-10 this 20-game-A10-schedule is preposterous. There's already way too many games against weak, soft bottom feeders. More "League games" with this already soft schedule is not beneficial. It's just more meaningless games against the OVC and stuff that does nothing for the conference as a whole and cements us as one-bid rather than starts digging us out of that hole.

We have dead weight like LaSalle, Fordham, SLU, Loyola in here already. Lame. VCU and Dayton have to be looking for the exits at that point. The MVC might have a higher average NET if we keep going down this path of adding more ho-hum programs.

4 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Back on the A-10 this 20-game-A10-schedule is preposterous. There's already way too many games against weak, soft bottom feeders. More "League games" with this already soft schedule is not beneficial. It's just more meaningless games against the OVC and stuff that does nothing for the conference as a whole and cements us as one-bid rather than starts digging us out of that hole.

We have dead weight like LaSalle, Fordham, SLU, Loyola in here already. Lame. VCU and Dayton have to be looking for the exits at that point. The MVC might have a higher average NET if we keep going down this path of adding more ho-hum programs.

This FSU move could further shake up the landscape.  Look for big CFB to perhaps break off.  Perhaps that makes it necessary for basketball/non-football schools to do something different. Just maybe you see alliances to get better schedules.

Maybe you could see "mid-major" conferences make a dynamic scheduling agreement. In that better teams get a chance to play each other to get more quad 1, 2 games. Just an idea could have open dates for TBD home/away games vs a top team in another conference.

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This FSU move could further shake up the landscape.  Look for big CFB to perhaps break off.  Perhaps that makes it necessary for basketball/non-football schools to do something different. Just maybe you see alliances to get better schedules.

Maybe you could see "mid-major" conferences make a dynamic scheduling agreement. In that better teams get a chance to play each other to get more quad 1, 2 games. Just an idea could have open dates for TBD home/away games vs a top team in another conference.

With Bernadette in charge at the A10 and CM in charge at SLU? I expect failure, mediocrity, and one bid per year(not SLU.)

11 minutes ago, Soderball said:

With Bernadette in charge at the A10 and CM in charge at SLU? I expect failure, mediocrity, and one bid per year(not SLU.)

I share your lack of confidence in any new ideas to help competitiveness.

Yormark B12 Commissioner annoyed me with his remarks at TTU and I booed him lustily at the B12 CCG but you gotta respect his hustle. 

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I share your lack of confidence in any new ideas to help competitiveness.

Yormark B12 Commissioner annoyed me with his remarks at TTU and I booed him lustily at the B12 CCG but you gotta respect his hustle. 

For all the crap I or we or this board dump on the MVC, they do have much better leadership than we do. UIC looks like the cream of the crop for Chicago D1 teams this year.

Loyola "jumps" from the MVC to A10, what happens to A10? UIC ends up with a better NET rating, and the A10 drops to a one-bid-league. MVC has just as much of a chance of landing 2 bids this year as we do.

TaLBErt likes this

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

UMass is leaving the A-10 for the MAC after next season. 

https://theathletic.com/5301023/2024/02/26/mid-american-conference-umass-expansion/

I know this is for the football program, but this is like UMass joining the OVC for every sport outside football.  The MAC is a bad conference and makes no sense geographically.  It would be like SLU deciding to join the American East conference.  At least the A10 made sense for us on a competitive level when we joined it.