O.T. Conference Shuffle ( OU and Texas inquire about joining SEC)

BLIKNS

It will be interesting to see the makeup of the AAC in 1 to 3 years.  Memphis has made it know that they want an invite to the big table.  So far, it hasn't come.  With whatever happens to the Pac  2 and MWC, perhaps Memphis upgrades?  Today, Tulane is playing solid football.  Their football hasn't seen steady success, but it is 'what can you do for me tomorrow' that is important.  Are they invited also?

The AAC has FAU, which is last year's NCAA hoops cinderella, and they returned everyone for this season.  But what happens when they get a new squad?  Will they become the next Florida Gulf Coast U?  The Too Early Brackets show AAC as likely a two bid league, with FAU and Memphis, but that is not a sure thing.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

If VCU leaves we should really reconsider pushing for membership in the AAC. It would clearly be a stronger basketball conference than the A-10 and a better geographic fit too. Yes, they aren't catholic schools but that is overrated as a reason to be in a conference. Plus, with our recent NCAA tourney drought we won't be leaving behind but one NCAA Unit with only a couple years remaining.

-would they want us?

Looking forward to waking up in 5 years to find ourselves in a flaccid A10 conference with no Dayton or VCU, where our top 3 home and home series are against Richmond, a Schmidt-less Bonnie’s team, and the fighting Sister Jean Blers of Chicago.  Talk about getting the blood flowing!

13 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Looking forward to waking up in 5 years to find ourselves in a flaccid A10 conference with no Dayton or VCU, where our top 3 home and home series are against Richmond, a Schmidt-less Bonnie’s team, and the fighting Sister Jean Blers of Chicago.  Talk about getting the blood flowing!

look forward to 5 years from now when were 4 years into our rivalry with Creighton in the Big East. 

30 minutes ago, gabriel said:

look forward to 5 years from now when were 4 years into our rivalry with Creighton in the Big East. 

I'm thinking we end up in the ACC. After Florida State and Clemson bail to the SEC and ND (fully), UNC and Duke to the Big Ten, the ACC will need a 'natural rival' for SMU and for newcomer Memphis.  😎

29 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Ackerman says "Geography Matters".  That is until/if they get Gonzaga on the hook.  Then it won't matter as much.

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ackerman says "Geography Matters".  That is until/if they get Gonzaga on the hook.  Then it won't matter as much.

Along those lines, any Big East self-congratulation about geographic considerations is brought into question by Providence-to-Omaha.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-we have to be one of these, Ackerman told Front Office Sports, even though it has received inquiries from a number of schools interested in joining. -- don't we?

You would think that, but this is a department that can't even successfully get a euro guy through the clearinghouse...

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Not true ..... Djordje Curcic made it!

I’m sure this has been posted previously so my deepest apologies but do we pronounce his name Georgie Kerr-chich? Actually never mind I’ll just ask Gus Phillips. 

AGB91 and Billikenbooster like this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I'm of the opinion that the Big East as we know it today won't exist after their current Fox contract expires.

interesting Brian, can you expand on your opinion?   what would it evolve to in your opinion?

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

interesting Brian, can you expand on your opinion?   what would it evolve to in your opinion?

I don't think the money that the Big East programs expect to be in a new media deal is going to be there and that is going to lead to schools like Georgetown, UConn, and Marquette looking at other options.  I think that is the moment Yormark swoops in to add the basketball focused Big 12 expansion he has expressed a desire for.  I expect Gonzaga to be part of that. That expansion also gives the Big 12 a way to split into 3 to 4 subconferences for sports outside of football and dramatically reduce operating expenses for those sports.

37 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't think the money that the Big East programs expect to be in a new media deal is going to be there and that is going to lead to schools like Georgetown, UConn, and Marquette looking at other options.  I think that is the moment Yormark swoops in to add the basketball focused Big 12 expansion he has expressed a desire for.  I expect Gonzaga to be part of that. That expansion also gives the Big 12 a way to split into 3 to 4 subconferences for sports outside of football and dramatically reduce operating expenses for those sports.

Definitely could happen.  Conference reshuffle is far from done. 

The Big 12 isn't set. The Big 10 will take Notre Dame with 3 minutes notice. The ACC will have some deserters soon.  The Pac 2 +MWC, or whatever, will rearrange the lower P5 and non-P5 landscape.   The AAC will be prime poaching territory for this new mix. 

Gonzaga will eventually move where the money is the greatest.  For my 2 cents, they need to move before Coach Few retires.  Their future post-Few is unknown.  (Example, Wichita State post Marshall.)

I am looking for UMass to be the first A10 deserter.  They either need to abandon football, which they won't, or get into a position where they don't continually bleed money.  I'm not sure where they will land, but it most likely won't be a current power conference.  MAC?  CUSA?

brianstl likes this

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

-to follow this to its conclusion, we get in the BEast and all of the good programs have left for greener pastures

-that would be so us

billiken_roy and CenHudDude like this

Consider the ramifications of this possibility.  Michigan is being investigated by the NCAA for using technical means to steal signs.  Now imagine there is no determination this FB season by the NCAA because they're really slow. But you may notice there is immense public scrutiny and outcry.  The College Football Playoff Committee could act and punish Michigan. That undercuts the NCAA and leads everyone to know recognize their weakness. When that falls what happens?

Get ready. We can all get our popcorn or malox. Because SLU will be affected. 

• 2 weeks later...