Jump to content

The NCAA tournament will be contained within Indiana's borders


Recommended Posts

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-01-04/ncaa-announces-further-details-2021-division-i-mens-basketball-championship

The tournament will be hosted by Ball State, Butler, the Horizon League, Indiana, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and Purdue, which are lending their facilities and staffs to assist with tournament operations. The Indiana Convention Center will be used as a practice facility, with multiple courts set up inside the venue. Marriott properties, an official NCAA corporate partner, will house most of the tournament teams. The properties are connected to the convention center via skywalks and within a controlled environment. All teams will be housed on dedicated hotel floors, with physically distanced meeting and dining rooms, as well as secure transportation to and from competition venues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little surprised that Lucas Oil Stadium will be used in the prelims.  Any team playing there (they will be using two courts) will have an opportunity to gauge the sight lines.

For yesterday's Colts game, the city and team allowed 10,000 fans into the 67,000 seat stadium. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm a little surprised that Lucas Oil Stadium will be used in the prelims.  Any team playing there (they will be using two courts) will have an opportunity to gauge the sight lines.

For yesterday's Colts game, the city and team allowed 10,000 fans into the 67,000 seat stadium. 

-I'm guessing the Final Four will have one court in LOS at the start of this but in the season of who knows? who knows? so not sure how much of an advantage that will be

-also guessing without a substantial divider that two games could not be played in LOS at the same time as I could see whistle confusion as a problem

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm guessing the Final Four will have one court in LOS at the start of this but in the season of who knows? who knows? so not sure how much of an advantage that will be

-also guessing without a substantial divider that two games could not be played in LOS at the same time as I could see whistle confusion as a problem

The NCAA said only one game at a time will be played in LOS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If things get better COVID-wise, and I'm not counting on it by any means just hoping, this could be a great development for SLU fans if fans end up being allowed in some capacity.  Indy is only a 3 hour 20 minute drive from the Lou.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They should push it back a week or two and get teams there early to keep them in a controlled environment. Like others have said, a team having to drop out of any game would be a disaster for the Tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They should push it back a week or two and get teams there early to keep them in a controlled environment. Like others have said, a team having to drop out of any game would be a disaster for the Tournament.

-that would be a tough pill for CBS to swallow as Championship game is scheduled for Monday and the Masters, a proud feather in the cap of CBS, scheduled to start on Thursday and tv is where much of the money the NCAA gets originates

-that would also mean all 68 teams of kids away from school for at least 2.5 weeks

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-that would be a tough pill for CBS to swallow as Championship game is scheduled for Monday and the Masters, a proud feather in the cap of CBS, scheduled to start on Thursday and tv is where much of the money the NCAA gets originates

-that would also mean all 68 teams of kids away from school for at least 2.5 weeks

I saw in a variety of tweets that selection show will still be March 14 and they still plan to finish on Monday, April 5, but the expectation is the games would only take 2 weeks to play.

My guess is that they'll figure out a way to get many of the teams to Indy prior to the 14th and will start the bubble/self-isolation process with the teams right away. Games could start with full slates on maybe the 20th (Saturday) and not everyone would have to play in the first two days if a team was a late arrival to Indy. You could play every other day as long as you have an opponent to play and there will be some uncertainty about what days you are playing on, but as long as you are in Indy and advancing what does it really matter. I suspect they'll often come up with some contingency plans along the lines of "if one guy tests positive" he is out but the rest of the team can test negative for 3 days straight and still be eligible to play.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I saw in a variety of tweets that selection show will still be March 14 and they still plan to finish on Monday, April 5, but the expectation is the games would only take 2 weeks to play.

My guess is that they'll figure out a way to get many of the teams to Indy prior to the 14th and will start the bubble/self-isolation process with the teams right away. Games could start with full slates on maybe the 20th (Saturday) and not everyone would have to play in the first two days if a team was a late arrival to Indy. You could play every other day as long as you have an opponent to play and there will be some uncertainty about what days you are playing on, but as long as you are in Indy and advancing what does it really matter. I suspect they'll often come up with some contingency plans along the lines of "if one guy tests positive" he is out but the rest of the team can test negative for 3 days straight and still be eligible to play.   

half the teams leave after each round, so only 4-8 teams would be there the last week

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview today between Gavitt and Rothstein.  NCAA Selection Sunday date is set, Final Four date is set, everything else in between is in flux.  They will NOT have games on the Tuesday (first four) following Selection Sunday.

NCAA wanted one location as to not have varying protocols, travel bans, etc. from numerous Health Departments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interview today between Gavitt and Rothstein.  NCAA Selection Sunday date is set, Final Four date is set, everything else in between is in flux.  They will NOT have games on the Tuesday (first four) following Selection Sunday.

NCAA wanted one location as to not have varying protocols, travel bans, etc. from numerous Health Departments. 

-makes sense

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, HoosierPal said:

Sorry for some of the repeats, but I couldn't grab these individually.  There is some interesting information in here.

Do they consider it 37 at large bids or 1 extra Big 10 school?

Link to post
Share on other sites

More information from Indy.

Are there any other changes to the 2021 NCAA tournament?

The tournament field is expected to remain at 68 teams with Selection Sunday through the Final Four remaining on schedule.

Gavitt expects the venues in Bloomington and West Lafayette to be used for first-round games

What city has hosted the most NCAA tournament games?

According to the NCAA, Indianapolis will move to No. 1 in NCAA tournament games hosted after this event.

How many Indianapolis hotel rooms will be used for the NCAA tournament?

Vaughn said there will be approximately 2,500 hotel rooms needed for players, coaches, officials and staff for the NCAA tournament. According to Visit Indy, there are 34,000 hotel rooms available in the Indianapolis Metro area.

Can I buy March Madness tickets for the 2021 NCAA tournament?

Fan attendance for Indianapolis venues and sporting events has varied since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. The answer to whether tickets will be available for fans is still to be determined.

Currently, Gavitt has said family members of NCAA tournament participants, such as players and coaches, will be allowed to attend games.

As for fans buying tickets, the NCAA is "working with health officials" to determine if fans will be allowed to see games in person.

"We'll be planning every day up until that tipoff," said Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

More information from Indy.

Are there any other changes to the 2021 NCAA tournament?

The tournament field is expected to remain at 68 teams with Selection Sunday through the Final Four remaining on schedule.

Gavitt expects the venues in Bloomington and West Lafayette to be used for first-round games

What city has hosted the most NCAA tournament games?

According to the NCAA, Indianapolis will move to No. 1 in NCAA tournament games hosted after this event.

How many Indianapolis hotel rooms will be used for the NCAA tournament?

Vaughn said there will be approximately 2,500 hotel rooms needed for players, coaches, officials and staff for the NCAA tournament. According to Visit Indy, there are 34,000 hotel rooms available in the Indianapolis Metro area.

Can I buy March Madness tickets for the 2021 NCAA tournament?

Fan attendance for Indianapolis venues and sporting events has varied since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. The answer to whether tickets will be available for fans is still to be determined.

Currently, Gavitt has said family members of NCAA tournament participants, such as players and coaches, will be allowed to attend games.

As for fans buying tickets, the NCAA is "working with health officials" to determine if fans will be allowed to see games in person.

"We'll be planning every day up until that tipoff," said Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb.

Remember Covid, 68 teams constrained into playing game after game until they reach the end run, does not appear to be a good way to prevent the spread of the damned virus. Just keep that in mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pacers announced today they will be allowing fans beginning mid Jan.  County Health Dept dictates a max of 25% capacity, which is about 18,000 - so about 4500 in house.  It's a start towards the NCAA tourney.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-01-15/new-bracketing-principles-adopted-2021ncaa-tournament

There will be some minor, yet obvious changes to bracketing.  No need to consider geographic location when all teams are in Indy.  Also discussed is when same conference teams can meet in the tourney, depending on how many times they played throughout the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...