Jump to content

Attendance? SLU/Brian Kunderman do you have a response?


Cowboy
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-saw this photo and caption on STL Today

image.png.0d6259838c0f26c30d854c8cb3bf2239.png

-last time I checked Vashon was in the City

-to me begs the question of how can fans be here but not in Chaifetz to watch the Billikens? 

probably because pesty says not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-saw this photo and caption on STL Today

image.png.0d6259838c0f26c30d854c8cb3bf2239.png

-last time I checked Vashon was in the City

-to me begs the question of how can fans be here but not in Chaifetz to watch the Billikens? 

Because the City has a lot more to lose if Billiken basketball is shut down than if a local high school is forced to.  We're kind of a big deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-saw this photo and caption on STL Today

image.png.0d6259838c0f26c30d854c8cb3bf2239.png

-last time I checked Vashon was in the City

-to me begs the question of how can fans be here but not in Chaifetz to watch the Billikens? 

I'm guessing that is family members only attendance. Regardless of whether average Joe fans can attend SLU games, family members should be allowed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm guessing that is family members only attendance. Regardless of whether average Joe fans can attend SLU games, family members should be allowed!

totally agree.   put them in the luxury suites.   one family per suite.   seems like an easy fix.   but it is a shame the likes of the goodwin family is missing his senior year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

There's 12,000 seats in there.  I think spacing is not a problem for family and they can sit in the plus seats.  C'mon, man.

Capacity is 10,600, but your point remains the same.  There are 16 sections in the lower bowl.  You could close off the upper bowl and suites, give each player's family their own lower bowl section and force social distancing by strategically placing the fan cardboard cut outs within those lower bowl sections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Capacity is 10,600, but your point remains the same.  There are 16 sections in the lower bowl.  You could close off the upper bowl and suites, give each player's family their own lower bowl section and force social distancing by strategically placing the fan cardboard cut outs within those lower bowl sections.

Here’s my hesitation and I’ve been far from a “corona bro”. We are in the midst of a potentially historical season. Safety aside, it only takes one player getting the virus to potentially cause a terrible outbreak on the team shutting us down. I’m not sure we should be willing to take the risk that fans in the arena could lead to a + test in the team 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here’s my hesitation and I’ve been far from a “corona bro”. We are in the midst of a potentially historical season. Safety aside, it only takes one player getting the virus to potentially cause a terrible outbreak on the team shutting us down. I’m not sure we should be willing to take the risk that fans in the arena could lead to a + test in the team 

To be clear, I'm talking about immediate families (parents and siblings) only not fans in generally.  Still you have an excellent counter argument.  I assume that some of the players especially locals may have some level of contact with their immediate families regardless.  However publicly, you would have to enforce different families not getting together / congregating during games and also enforce players not congregating with their families or others.  If you don't want to have to police that stuff it is much easier to just not allow anyone into the arena.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here’s my hesitation and I’ve been far from a “corona bro”. We are in the midst of a potentially historical season. Safety aside, it only takes one player getting the virus to potentially cause a terrible outbreak on the team shutting us down. I’m not sure we should be willing to take the risk that fans in the arena could lead to a + test in the team 

that's why i said put each family in a box high up.   they get the comfort and luxury of a box but the trade off they are away from the floor, however almost certainly keeps the players safe.   trick might be enforcing the players staying away from their families as in years past i have seen players fan out to the seats after the game to talk to their loved ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that's why i said put each family in a box high up.   they get the comfort and luxury of a box but the trade off they are away from the floor, however almost certainly keeps the players safe.   trick might be enforcing the players staying away from their families as in years past i have seen players fan out to the seats after the game to talk to their loved ones. 

This would almost certainly cause a problem. You would want to change the current layout of the seating in Chaifetz. You'd have retract the seats all around the court to the cement steps(where you could start seating), Cover all of the tunnels with tarps. I would also install plexi-glass all the way around the first row of seating. Now the University having to decide who gets in and who doesn't would cause some friction(another downside to allowing fans)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-saw this photo and caption on STL Today

image.png.0d6259838c0f26c30d854c8cb3bf2239.png

-last time I checked Vashon was in the City

-to me begs the question of how can fans be here but not in Chaifetz to watch the Billikens? 

If you really want an answer from Brian, email him.  [email protected].  He does respond to his emails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This would almost certainly cause a problem. You would want to change the current layout of the seating in Chaifetz. You'd have retract the seats all around the court to the cement steps(where you could start seating), Cover all of the tunnels with tarps. I would also install plexi-glass all the way around the first row of seating. Now the University having to decide who gets in and who doesn't would cause some friction(another downside to allowing fans)

You seem to have taken the leap from answering Roy's concern about players mingling with families to a plan for general fan attendance.

In regards to family, it seems pretty straight forward to me to just tell the players and family not to inter-mingle. I'm pretty sure that would solve the potential problem.

In regards to general fan attendance, it seems like overkill to have plexi-glass all around. There are plenty of locations, including the one 90 minutes to the west, that have fans in limited scope but you just see them far enough away from the court that plexiglass isn't necessary. I also don't understand your comment about retracting seats. Do you mean the seats need to be removed or just that you wouldn't have people sit in the first few rows? Clearly I wouldn't have fans sitting close to the court, but I'm not sure why any seats would need to be pulled out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

You seem to have taken the leap from answering Roy's concern about players mingling with families to a plan for general fan attendance.

In regards to family, it seems pretty straight forward to me to just tell the players and family not to inter-mingle. I'm pretty sure that would solve the potential problem.

In regards to general fan attendance, it seems like overkill to have plexi-glass all around. There are plenty of locations, including the one 90 minutes to the west, that have fans in limited scope but you just see them far enough away from the court that plexiglass isn't necessary. I also don't understand your comment about retracting seats. Do you mean the seats need to be removed or just that you wouldn't have people sit in the first few rows? Clearly I wouldn't have fans sitting close to the court, but I'm not sure why any seats would need to be pulled out.

I really would just retract the seats so nobody would even attempt or be able to get 20-30 feet from the court if they wanted to. 
 

Overkill should be the name of the game in my opinion. Do anything and everything you can to completely eliminate any possibility of contact between players and spectators. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-article on STL Today about Blues working with the City on a plan for allowing fans at some point during the NHL season that is scheduled to start on Jan 13 - https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-city-work-on-phased-approach-to-return-of-hockey-at-enterprise/article_50620097-f9f2-5d76-b89f-344d16c3058a.html - 

-from the article - 

Under current city COVID-19 protocols, the largest venues in St. Louis are allowed to have up to 50% capacity, but that’s with the caveats of social distancing and several health and infection guidelines, which almost certainly would lead to less than 50%.

Although Long didn’t provide an initial percentage, it’s more likely that when fans return to Enterprise, it would be something like 25% capacity — or 4,500 spectators.

“If you think about it, 50% doesn’t do you any good if they’re all — the 50% — huddled on one side of the building,” Long said. “Yeah, it’s 50% on our large attractions and venues, but you gotta think through the 6-feet thing, you gotta think through all those infection control plans.

“So we’re flexible. It’s ongoing. We’re still in conversation with them and hope to have more to share soon. Because I know hockey fans are anxious.

Ultimately, Enterprise — and any other venue in the city —is required to submit an operational plan for review and approval by city health officials. So even though the current guideline is 50 percent, the actual number of spectators allowed comes down to what gets approved.

---who that has ever attended an event of any kind thinks or would even say something like  all of the people in attendance would be 'huddled on one side of the building'? I hope this person is really just the Mayor's Communication Director and not involved in making a decision on how to get butts in the seats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-article on STL Today about Blues working with the City on a plan for allowing fans at some point during the NHL season that is scheduled to start on Jan 13 - https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-city-work-on-phased-approach-to-return-of-hockey-at-enterprise/article_50620097-f9f2-5d76-b89f-344d16c3058a.html - 

-from the article - 

Under current city COVID-19 protocols, the largest venues in St. Louis are allowed to have up to 50% capacity, but that’s with the caveats of social distancing and several health and infection guidelines, which almost certainly would lead to less than 50%.

Although Long didn’t provide an initial percentage, it’s more likely that when fans return to Enterprise, it would be something like 25% capacity — or 4,500 spectators.

“If you think about it, 50% doesn’t do you any good if they’re all — the 50% — huddled on one side of the building,” Long said. “Yeah, it’s 50% on our large attractions and venues, but you gotta think through the 6-feet thing, you gotta think through all those infection control plans.

“So we’re flexible. It’s ongoing. We’re still in conversation with them and hope to have more to share soon. Because I know hockey fans are anxious.

Ultimately, Enterprise — and any other venue in the city —is required to submit an operational plan for review and approval by city health officials. So even though the current guideline is 50 percent, the actual number of spectators allowed comes down to what gets approved.

---who that has ever attended an event of any kind thinks or would even say something like  all of the people in attendance would be 'huddled on one side of the building'? I hope this person is really just the Mayor's Communication Director and not involved in making a decision on how to get butts in the seats

Thanks for sharing - good info

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, reading the article and paying particular attention to the 25% issue and seeing that the earliest that could occur for a professional team is 2/1/21 tells me IF any fans get into Chaifefz this season it won't be many and it won't be for many games.

  I hope the Ath Dept is making plans for a chance to allow fans to pay tribute to our seniors.  The three of them certainly deserve it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...