2020-21 Season

2 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Maybe I'm missing it but I actually don't know what this tweet means. 

Besides the obvious, the Siena game is part of the tourney, it also means we won't be drawing Siena in the first round in Orlando.  We could meet them later in the tourney through the bracket.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OT, but posting because it's (almost) A10 related - UMass just cancelled its football season - following in the footsteps of fellow independent UConn.

Hopefully Covid will give UMass and UConn cover to just scrap their football programs and get their basketball programs back to the heights they've previously achieved. 

11 minutes ago, Compton said:

OT, but posting because it's (almost) A10 related - UMass just cancelled its football season - following in the footsteps of fellow independent UConn.

Hopefully Covid will give UMass and UConn cover to just scrap their football programs and get their basketball programs back to the heights they've previously achieved. 

I had nooo clue umass was FBS in football 

NextYearBill likes this

19 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Like another poster, I am confused about what our beat writer is saying.  He says our home game against Siena is part of the Orlando tournament, but then goes on to say that we are supposed to play 3 games IN Orlando and that we COULD schedule one more game against a team from the field.  That would seem to mean that we are playing 4 games in the tournament and I've never seen that mentioned as a possibility.

Can any poster explain this?

BTW, for what it's worth, Minnesota comes in to the top 144 list at #105

Edited by bauman
Addl Info

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

Like another poster, I am confused about what our beat writer is saying.  He says our home game against Siena is part of the Orlando tournament, but then goes on to say that we are supposed to play 3 games IN Orlando and that we COULD schedule one more game against a team from the field.  That would seem to mean that we are playing 4 games in the tournament and I've never seen that mentioned as a possibility.

It doesn't make any sense to me either.

I don't think it's all that strange. It's not so different from the Men Who Speak Up Tournament (2016), 2K Classic (2017) and Barclays Classic (2018) in which there were the main tournament weekend match-ups (at the MGM Grand, Garden and Barclays respectively) and then some random tacked on home games at Chaifetz (Ball State/Southern Utah, Seattle/Detroit, Troy/Alabama respectively) that fell under the tournament umbrella.

The only difference in this instance is that it sounds like the random home match-ups that don't really effect the scheduling of the Orlando tournament weekend are more optional depending on participants' needs/availability.

dlarry likes this

39 minutes ago, bauman said:

BTW, for what it's worth, Minnesota comes in to the top 144 list at #105

If I remember correctly, teams may have a limit to how many games they can play each season, but tournaments/events count differently than if you just scheduled several games. As an example, the Orlando tournament can include 4 games, but may only count for 1 or 2 towards the limit. It’s a loophole to play more games.

HoosierPal likes this

31 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Here we go...

Not a medical expert but why make a decision on only the first half of College basketball, which starts in November, in the middle of August? Obviously if things stay the same the season might be delayed but you don’t have to make that decision now...

57 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Here we go...

PAC 12 killed off their OOC schedules. That impacts a lot of schools that had PAC 12 on their schedules. Many schools now needing games. Ten MTE's now need teams.  I didn't find any single games with A10 v Pac 12 teams on the schedule.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-wA0XgxXDFuK0FD0lPayMevSNwM8dxm2QVYKVRFVIY/edit#gid=1967653363

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

PAC 12 killed off their OOC schedules. That impacts a lot of schools that had PAC 12 on their schedules. Many schools now needing games. Ten MTE's now need teams.  I didn't find any single games with A10 v Pac 12 teams on the schedule.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-wA0XgxXDFuK0FD0lPayMevSNwM8dxm2QVYKVRFVIY/edit#gid=1967653363

Sorry, but what is an MTE?

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Sorry, but what is an MTE?

Orlando. Tourney's in Brooklyn (2), Honolulu, KC, Ft. Myers, Niceville, Cayman Islands, Maui, Anaheim, Vegas, Bahamas, all need teams.

Creighton, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, Iowa State and Mizzou all lost games.  Dump TN State and pick up one of these.  All could drive to the Lou.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Did they kill off their winter bball schedule?  I thought just fall sports were cancelled.

4 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Not a medical expert but why make a decision on only the first half of College basketball, which starts in November, in the middle of August? Obviously if things stay the same the season might be delayed but you don’t have to make that decision now...

It gives them the flexibility to reschedule some of those noncon games in early 2021, which is the earliest a vaccine will be available, according to most of our epidemiology experts.

In the comments, it is mentioned several times that the Illini are already using the saliva tests. I don’t know much about them. Just thought I’d post Rothstein’s tweet.

4 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

My guess is that this special tournament will involve a drastic reduction in the number of teams, perhaps as few as 32 but perhaps more. 

You may be right. But I think we have a long time, where a lot of different things could happen, before that decision gets finalized.

My bet is that the NCAA and conferences will delay the start until January. However, if the plague is still raging then they’ll wait for a vaccine. For Gavitt to say we will have a tournament leads me to think they’re expecting a vaccine will be in place by early ‘21. 

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

You may be right. But I think we have a long time, where a lot of different things could happen, before that decision gets finalized.

For sure, it's all speculation and that's a decision that I would  think is at least 4 months away, but I don't trust the NCAA to do anything except grab for the cash and if that means shrinking the tournament in an effort to get through it as quickly as possible my gut tells me that's what they'll do. But who knows what will happen, a vaccine happening would be nice.