Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

No haha not at all. I didn't say that either. If we don't make the tourney (but finish the year decently) I will be slightly disappointed, but happy the team exceeded my expectations (both pre-season and throughout).

Re-adjusting expectations as the season goes on doesn't mean you expect NCAA auto-bids after every win and losing the rest of the games after every loss. There's a middle ground.

Then we probably agree more than this mini debate was worth.  Of course, I will be disappointed if we were in the discussion about making the tournament, but then didn't.  From what I can tell, we both agree that altering expectations is appropriate during the year.  That being said, I think it's bad for a fan to allow altered expectations to color his or her view of what a team does over an entire season.  If they exceeded your pre-season expectations, be happy about it.  If they don't make the tournament when, at some point during the season you thought they had a chance, by upset by that.  Just don't evaluate the program(coaches, players) based upon the one moment in time where you were the happiest during the season and had the highest (adjusted, altered...whatever) expectations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My expectation is that we can beat anyone left on our schedule and we can lose to anyone left on our schedule. 

Ok boss man. 

We shouldn’t talk about tourney unless we pull a massive upset at Dayton. Then we can discuss 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Then we probably agree more than this mini debate was worth.  Of course, I will be disappointed if we were in the discussion about making the tournament, but then didn't.  From what I can tell, we both agree that altering expectations is appropriate during the year.  That being said, I think it's bad for a fan to allow altered expectations to color his or her view of what a team does over an entire season.  If they exceeded your pre-season expectations, be happy about it.  If they don't make the tournament when, at some point during the season you thought they had a chance, by upset by that.  Just don't evaluate the program(coaches, players) based upon the one moment in time where you were the happiest during the season and had the highest (adjusted, altered...whatever) expectations.

I would agree with 90% of that. However, I think putting any stock into pre-season expectations in college basketball for a team that had 2-3 players that we really knew anything about doesn't make much sense. Any projections of 20-25 wins or whatever people were guessing before the season were just that... guesses. Not expectations based on anything other than highlight reels and coach speak. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

this is like Kentucky fans making predictions when most of the players are frosh.  Of course at some point in the season the fans will then make a second prediction based on what they've seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

That makes less than zero sense. Our pre-season predictions/expectations are just guesses. No one knew how Perkins/Collins/Bell/Jimerson/Weaver/Jacobs/Hankton/Diarra/Hargrove/Thatch were going to play. So yes it does make way more sense to update expectations after seeing the team play some games. If not, you're just guessing at the beginning of the year?

You have to change expectations practically every game then, because you're not sure what team you're going to get. Coach Ford doesn't even know. It isn't at all like watching Rhode Island or VCU play.  These kids are trying to learn how to play together, achieve something that looks like consistency and win games at the same time.  I don't know how you can make predictions when all that it is going on, but to each his own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Then we probably agree more than this mini debate was worth.  Of course, I will be disappointed if we were in the discussion about making the tournament, but then didn't.  From what I can tell, we both agree that altering expectations is appropriate during the year.  That being said, I think it's bad for a fan to allow altered expectations to color his or her view of what a team does over an entire season.  If they exceeded your pre-season expectations, be happy about it.  If they don't make the tournament when, at some point during the season you thought they had a chance, by upset by that.  Just don't evaluate the program(coaches, players) based upon the one moment in time where you were the happiest during the season and had the highest (adjusted, altered...whatever) expectations.

You make some good points. My attitude is different in the fact I cannot stand the very existence of the NIT. This has been a wild year so far, and expectations have changed many times throughout the year. I think Coach Ford has handled a difficult set of circumstances very well. I was somewhat sarcastic when I said that we should fire the AD for accepting a bid to the NIT...but I have my reasons why I despise it. 

This is a growing team that has fought through adversity when they could have mailed it in to the tune of 17-5 so far. We are starting 2 freshmen, one soph who didn't do much last year, and the two cornerstone juniors. I'm hoping they can keep this ball in the air as long as they can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You have to change expectations practically every game then, because you're not sure what team you're going to get. Coach Ford doesn't even know. It isn't at all like watching Rhode Island or VCU play.  These kids are trying to learn how to play together, achieve something that looks like consistency and win games at the same time.  I don't know how you can make predictions when all that it is going on, but to each his own.

We've essentially been in the same spot since we beat KState though.. We are on the outside of the bubble, need a big win or 2 vs Dayton/VCU and have to keep finding a way to win the games vs bad teams. That hasn't changed in months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoBills73 said:

AO is my worst nightmare. We have an AO stuffed animal thing. My 9 y/o can get obsessed over those damn videos then the 7 y/o joins in.

Hell on earth.

I'll take u 2's word on the Orange, seems impossible to be worse than purple Dino of my caddying days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, almaman said:

Time for my yearly plea to either add to dance by adding a big fat play-in round instead of 4 make it 16. Or better yet let everyone play like in HS. 

Another way to look at is everyone IS in the tournament, it just starts with the league tournament. Win out there (like we did last year) and you’re in.

mhg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

You have to change expectations practically every game then, because you're not sure what team you're going to get. Coach Ford doesn't even know. It isn't at all like watching Rhode Island or VCU play.  These kids are trying to learn how to play together, achieve something that looks like consistency and win games at the same time.  I don't know how you can make predictions when all that it is going on, but to each his own.

My expectation is that we can beat anyone left on our schedule and we can lose to anyone left on our schedule. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

We shouldn’t talk about tourney unless we pull a massive upset at Dayton. Then we can discuss 

If we beat both URI and VCU and lose only to SVU the rest of the way, we'll be on everyone's last 4 in list going into conf tourney week. We don't have to beat SVU, but that's likely the only game we can afford to lose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

My expectation is that we can beat anyone left on our schedule and we can lose to anyone left on our schedule. 

I understand where you are coming from, but this is the opposite of what has happened so far this season. We've beaten the teams that we are better than, lost to the teams that we are worse than and split the close/toss up games (Richmond, @Duq, @Davidson @KSU)

However, I agree that anything can happen and we could win any game or lose any game (though that's just a statement of fact about sporting events)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

That makes less than zero sense. Our pre-season predictions/expectations are just guesses. No one knew how Perkins/Collins/Bell/Jimerson/Weaver/Jacobs/Hankton/Diarra/Hargrove/Thatch were going to play. So yes it does make way more sense to update expectations after seeing the team play some games. If not, you're just guessing at the beginning of the year?

So does downgrading your expectations due to losing players. If our season since losing Jimerson says NCAA tourney bound I think you'd be drinking Kool-Aid. We had 2 really good games since but just as many mediocre games 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So does downgrading your expectations due to losing players. If our season since losing Jimerson says NCAA tourney bound I think you'd be drinking Kool-Aid. We had 2 really good games since but just as many mediocre games 

It makes no sense to lower expectations due to injuries? I'm of the belief that losing your players to injury generally makes you a worse team haha but I guess that's not a universally held belief. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, glazedandconfused said:

It makes no sense to lower expectations due to injuries? I'm of the belief that losing your players to injury generally makes you a worse team haha but I guess that's not a universally held belief. 

 

Ask Trent Green.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

It makes no sense to lower expectations due to injuries? I'm of the belief that losing your players to injury generally makes you a worse team haha but I guess that's not a universally held belief. 

 

He was responding to this part of your quote:

"So yes it does make way more sense to update expectations after seeing the team play some games"

slufanskip's response:

"So does downgrading your expectations due to losing players."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He was responding to this part of your quote:

"So yes it does make way more sense to update expectations after seeing the team play some games"

slufanskip's response:

"So does downgrading your expectations due to losing players."

Got it thanks 3star...I was confused by his response

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He was responding to this part of your quote:

"So yes it does make way more sense to update expectations after seeing the team play some games"

slufanskip's response:

"So does downgrading your expectations due to losing players."

Thanks for the Assist

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

My expectation is that we can beat anyone left on our schedule and we can lose to anyone left on our schedule. 

I think this nails it. From what we've seen we can play up to our competition or down to it. I think this is what frustrates Ford about this team. Good D would help a ton, especially when our O is so up and down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

We shouldn’t talk about tourney unless we pull a massive upset at Dayton. Then we can discuss 

Shiiiiit JGood and Has won 4 games in 4 days anything can happen 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...