OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I’m assuming you mean that a promoted team has never won the EPL in their first year after promotion? Because I think Leicester City won in their 2nd year, 3rd at most, after promotion. If you’re saying no team that ever had to get promoted to reach the EPL in the Premier League era has won a title, I’d cite Leicester City, and I think Manchester City was relegated and regained promotion at least once in the PL era.

I agree though that while it’s an interesting aspect of European leagues, relegation is a very questionable concept in MLS.

No, I stand corrected on Leicester City. The source I found must have published that statement before their surprise championship a few years back, which most consider the most unlikely regular season championship in the history of major sports. 

I think Promotion/Relegation is fine and interesting in the many leagues where it exists today, but I still don't understand how it solves any competitive problems in the US. On his podcast this week, Alexi Lalas was pointing out that with the championship streaks by Bayern, Juventus, and PSG (together with the duopoly in La Liga), the so-called top leagues are actually the lease competitive pro leagues in the world at the top. So what would you rather have? Real competition at the top or battles for relegation at the bottom?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, davidnark said:

No, I stand corrected on Leicester City. The source I found must have published that statement before their surprise championship a few years back, which most consider the most unlikely regular season championship in the history of major sports. 

I think Promotion/Relegation is fine and interesting in the many leagues where it exists today, but I still don't understand how it solves any competitive problems in the US. On his podcast this week, Alexi Lalas was pointing out that with the championship streaks by Bayern, Juventus, and PSG (together with the duopoly in La Liga), the so-called top leagues are actually the lease competitive pro leagues in the world at the top. So what would you rather have? Real competition at the top or battles for relegation at the bottom?

I agree with what you’re saying, but I think relegation would eliminate a lot of the intentional tanking that goes on in a lot of American professional sports. Like the Marlins holding a fire sale just after winning a World Series, twice. With relegation, if they did that, they’d be dropped down a level. I’m not saying it could or would work logistically or financially over here, but I do like the idea of having extra motivation to not finish dead last. And it also gives fans of not-so-good teams a reason to pay attention throughout the entire season, instead if just turning it off as soon as the team becomes irrelevant.

44 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I don't think it has to be either or. Relegation + real financial fair play rules would be the ideal combination. In the NFL, for example, the salary cap ensures parity; however, there is no mechanism to keep teams from tanking.

St. Louis will now have a top division US soccer team playing in a brand new stadium. Why would any fan ever want to risk having our team relegated because they have a bad season? I used to follow Bolton when Stu Holden was there; it is now an irrelevant club. Plus, in US soccer you would never tank to improve your draft position because player pool comes from the development academies and the global market with hardly any meaningful players coming out of the draft system. 

8 hours ago, Littlebill said:

They'll be better next year. Arteta's masterclass against City showed me he's the real deal. They need to spend to shore up the defense, and could also use some help in midfield, but they'll be better next season and should challenge for top 4. The 2-8 places will be getting a lot better before next season. Chelsea and City have already spent to plug up their holes and I expect United to do the same.

8 hours ago, Littlebill said:

They'll be better next year. Arteta's masterclass against City showed me he's the real deal. They need to spend to shore up the defense, and could also use some help in midfield, but they'll be better next season and should challenge for top 4. The 2-8 places will be getting a lot better before next season. Chelsea and City have already spent to plug up their holes and I expect United to do the same.

Thanks so much.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:25 AM, Littlebill said:

Agreed.  Arteta clearly showed he is building on the youth with him using Nketiah and Saka, for instance.  Those that don't adapt to his style will be shown the door.  Love to see Smith-Rowe come back from loan and take up the attacking mid responsibility from Ozil.  The back line is abysmal and embarrassment to any Arsenal fan.  Bellerin and Tierney are keepers but, Luiz, Mustafi, and Kolasnic (sp) need to be shown the door.  Love to get Holding back to 100% and get that one Greek centerback kid we signed playing.  Hell wasn't there a veteran La Liga centerback we signed to help shore things up?  I think injuries were a major impact on our goals-against this year.

Heading into Sat, yea, Chelsea certainly has the edge  right now.  But I hope we can grab another FA trophy just to save face from failing to qualify for Champions league and Europa.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The name, crest, colors, etc will be announced in just under 90 minutes. Any last minute predictions?

The obvious answer is Saint Louis United SC/FC with a logo that uses the colors of the St. Louis City flag. I have no inside info, but that seems to be the odds on favorite.  

18 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The name, crest, colors, etc will be announced in just under 90 minutes. Any last minute predictions?

Im going with St Louis city fc, red and yellow, with a fleur de lis and a arch. Praying its not that. I hope its Saint Louis 1764

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

spoiler:

unfortunately  its st louis city fc. 

Interesting that they’d go with City in the name after their campaign to include metro cities and towns. Maybe they are compensating for potential backlash that it isn’t an inclusive name? 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Interesting that they’d go with City in the name after their campaign to include metro cities and towns. Maybe they are compensating for potential backlash that it isn’t an inclusive name? 

My guess is that they’ll spin it as a message that it doesn’t matter what counties or suburbs we live in, we are all one city. St. Louis.

dlarry likes this

5 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

My guess is that they’ll spin it as a message that it doesn’t matter what counties or suburbs we live in, we are all one city. St. Louis.

they've been doing that the last 2 weeks. 

I just can't believe that they did such a great job of keeping this under wraps all this time and then it gets leaked on their own YouTube page an hour before the event. They did a great job but just shows how hard it is to keep anything private in these days. 

I love the name, crest, and colors. 

Is the color pink? Being dense, why do folks love that? I don't think any of this is overly good nor overly bad, but also don't care in the grand scheme of things. I guess the move is to say how great it is? To be fair, I don't know what would have "blown" me away, so there is also that.

I probably would have preferred a more true/literal connection to the city flag at least in color, but I doubt I am in anyway the target market. I did grow up playing sports with the husband of the owner, so I am a little pissed he ignored my repeated Facebook messages...

BilliesBy40 likes this