2019-20 Season

Just maybe this team is better than lasts years. Not just talking in the starting 5, but unlike last year this team could weather the rough stretches of conference play that last years couldn’t. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Just maybe this team is better than lasts years. Not just talking in the starting 5, but unlike last year this team could weather the rough stretches of conference play that last years couldn’t. 

I admit I’m fully torqued for this year and have us making the tourney. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

In my mind there is no question that we will be better than last years' team, but lets remember that we didn't even finish in the top 4 of the conf. last year.  In addition, the top of the conf. this year is expected to be much better than it was last year.  I am always positive ( at this point of the season) but I would be more than happy to finish in the top 4 of the league in 19-20.  The following year (20-21) , assuming all the key players return, is the year I think we should be in the hunt for the A-10 regular season crown.

7 hours ago, davidnark said:

Maybe this doesn't matter, but in all the recent practice videos, the mystery guard who is practicing in the unit with the starters is...................

Jacobs!

I have heard he has been the biggest surprise. Don’t be shocked if he starts the season as your point. 

43 minutes ago, willie said:

I have heard he has been the biggest surprise. Don’t be shocked if he starts the season as your point. 

But Yurimania will finish as the starter. I wish nothing but good for Jacobs and hope he fully blossoms. But is he a true PG? 

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

But Yurimania will finish as the starter. I wish nothing but good for Jacobs and hope he fully blossoms. But is he a true PG? 

i would much rather see jacobs flying down the sidelines RECEIVING the pass and finishing fast breaks.   his athleticism will be somewhat wasted being the point guard imo.  

NextYearBill likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i would much rather see jacobs flying down the sidelines RECEIVING the pass and finishing fast breaks.   his athleticism will be somewhat wasted being the point guard imo.  

True enough. Plus, I can't get those weak passes of his last year erased from my data base. They were truly pathetic even for a FR. 

8 hours ago, bauman said:

In my mind there is no question that we will be better than last years' team, but lets remember that we didn't even finish in the top 4 of the conf. last year.  In addition, the top of the conf. this year is expected to be much better than it was last year.  I am always positive ( at this point of the season) but I would be more than happy to finish in the top 4 of the league in 19-20.  The following year (20-21) , assuming all the key players return, is the year I think we should be in the hunt for the A-10 regular season crown.

Well, we're deeper than last year, and guys should be more refreshed. I just don't know how you get by the experience factor of Foreman, Bess, and Isabell. Especially, w/ Bess and Foreman on D. Face it, we weren't blowing anyone out last year, it was largely our D that got us into the dance. Takes a while for FR and JUCO's to pick up on how to play D at this level. That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing this team develop over the next 6 months. 

A note on Jacobs, if he's the mystery guard at this point, my guess is he's showing the staff something on defense. I really figured Weaver might get the nod in the early going, as he comes in with a good rep on D. If Jacobs, and I have no way of knowing, is beating him out then it's got to be because of he's playing some good D. 

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

True enough. Plus, I can't get those weak passes of his last year erased from my data base. They were truly pathetic even for a FR. 

I'm in the camp that says give Jacobs a fair shot this season.  His 89 minutes last season is an extremely small sample.  He got more than mop up duty in only 5 or 6 games.  He was injured a good part of the second half of the season. 

He will either sink or swim, but Jacob's last season is off my radar.

Old guy, Zink and billiken_roy like this

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I have no problem seeing what Jacobs can do. We were very excited about landing him, and he was injured last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he more of a 2 than a PG. I'll admit to my Yurimania bias. 

Jacobs was a very good high school open court player that's trying to figure out how to be an effective offensive player in the halfcourt. He needs to see his jumper fall. It will open up his slashing game.  He has to become a scorer so we're not playing 4 on 5 when he's on the floor.   Jacobs doesn't have Yuri's court vision to make defenders pay with the pass for playing off of him.

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Jacobs was a very good high school open court player that's trying to figure out how to be an effective offensive player in the halfcourt. He needs to see his jumper fall. It will open up his slashing game.  He has to become a scorer so we're not playing 4 on 5 when he's on the floor.   Jacobs doesn't have Yuri's court vision to make defenders pay with the pass for playing off of him.

thus with his high flying and overwhelming speed, he is the perfect wing...........assuming the billikens finally run the floor like they should have been doing since Ford came to town.  

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

What's he supposed to do the other 50 possessions?

not handle the ball.   find/create opening to slash or receive a pass above the rim.   he does that 10x a game he is a star. 

Just now, Sheltiedave said:

If he has Bess’ height and strength, he can slash at will. 

if he is still under 6’2” and under 180 lbs, it rarely happens in a half court offense.

see david thompson.    north carolina state 1974

Roy, David Thompson was 6’4”, 195 lbs, lightning fast, and the first pick in the NBA draft. And he had about a 45” vertical.

While you are to be commended for casually connecting a deep bench freshman Billiken with a supreme physical specimen NBA talent, you still wouldn’t write Jacobs a used car loan based on his NBA contract forecast.

dlarry and cgeldmacher like this

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

Roy, David Thompson was 6’4”, 195 lbs, lightning fast, and the first pick in the NBA draft. And he had about a 45” vertical.

While you are to be commended for casually connecting a deep bench freshman Billiken with a supreme physical specimen NBA talent, you still wouldn’t write Jacobs a used car loan based on his NBA contract forecast.

actually jacobs is an extremely talented athlete.   he has a very very good vertical leap and in fact is one of the fastest straight ahead runners on the team.  while he might not be david thompson and is indeed 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, i see no reason he cant have more than a rare success slashing and cutting to the basket.   even if it 4 times out of the 50 times 3 star mentioned that would mean he is averaging near double figures and would likely be a top 4 scorer on the team if not more.   

the point is jacobs is not some worthless player.   he was in a position last year that did not utilize his god give talent to the best of what it could have been.   if we speed up the game, and if he plays wing instead of fish out of water point guard, he can be an extremely talented spoke in our offensive wheel in my opinion.   

now if you want to send him down the road, fine.  your opinion is noted.   

btw, you said he was under 6'2" and under 185 lbs.   that is not what the billiken roster says.  but i probably do the same thing when trying to win my point on debates.   

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

actually jacobs is an extremely talented athlete.   he has a very very good vertical leap and in fact is one of the fastest straight ahead runners on the team.  while he might not be david thompson and is indeed 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, i see no reason he cant have more than a rare success slashing and cutting to the basket.   even if it 4 times out of the 50 times 3 star mentioned that would mean he is averaging near double figures and would likely be a top 4 scorer on the team if not more.   

the point is jacobs is not some worthless player.   he was in a position last year that did not utilize his god give talent to the best of what it could have been.   if we speed up the game, and if he plays wing instead of fish out of water point guard, he can be an extremely talented spoke in our offensive wheel in my opinion.   

now if you want to send him down the road, fine.  your opinion is noted.   

btw, you said he was under 6'2" and under 185 lbs.   that is not what the billiken roster says.  but i probably do the same thing when trying to win my point on debates.   

No one is saying he is.  What we are saying is you're asking the impossible: for a 6'2 player to be an impact player without handling the ball or having a jump shot you have to respect.  Where is that happening anywhere in D-1 basketball?

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

No one is saying he is.  What we are saying is you're asking the impossible: for a 6'2 player to be an impact player without handling the ball or having a jump shot you have to respect.  Where is that happening anywhere in D-1 basketball?

I think to expect to snap your fingers and make him a point guard is more impossible than letting him play his normal position of wing in an up tempo game.   

Just now, billiken_roy said:

I think to expect to snap your fingers and make him a point guard is more impossible than letting him play his normal position of wing in an up tempo game.   

And I think he will have more impact locking down small guards defensively than he would offensively as a 6'2 wing. We've got better offensive options at the 3. But Jacobs has the potential to be our best defensive option at the 1.