Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

Men's Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

On 5/9/2020 at 10:25 AM, slufanskip said:

Anyone know much about him? Hurt last year?  All ACC Freshman team in '18 then barely play in '19 doesn't make sense. 

The short answer is that Pitt is an improving program with multiple recent top 10 classes. Competition for playing time is increasing quickly.

Chandler Vaughn is a former top 50 National Player, DC United Developmental Academy, U.S. 17's residency player.  (Pitt has an assistant that is a former U17 National Team assistant)

Chandler is a skilled, speedy, high motor, left back that moves well, front to back and side to side. He is a good passer from the back. Going into college, his areas of improvement were more consistent 1v1 defending, and ball service. 

Pitt's coach, Jay Vidovich built a power at Wake Forest, National Title, 5 College Cup Final Fours, 5 ACC Titles, ...and left for Portland Timbers 2 after 21 years at Wake Forest as assistant and head coach. (he's friends with Caleb Porter) Despite some of the positives working within an MLS champion organization, he didn't really have the power and control there running his own program. So he left and Pitt was open. Pitt had not made the NCAA's in 54 years until last season. They had not made an ACC Tourney until under Vidovich, etc...

SLU is a good change of scenery for a fresh start, with a chance to return to previous form and show what he can do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, courtside said:

The short answer is that Pitt is an improving program with multiple recent top 10 classes. Competition for playing time is increasing quickly.

Chandler Vaughn is a former top 50 National Player, DC United Developmental Academy, U.S. 17's residency player.  (Pitt has an assistant that is a former U17 National Team assistant)

Chandler is a skilled, speedy, high motor, left back that moves well, front to back and side to side. He is a good passer from the back. Going into college, his areas of improvement were more consistent 1v1 defending, and ball service. 

Pitt's coach, Jay Vidovich built a power at Wake Forest, National Title, 5 College Cup Final Fours, 5 ACC Titles, ...and left for Portland Timbers 2 after 21 years at Wake Forest as assistant and head coach. (he's friends with Caleb Porter) Despite some of the positives working within an MLS champion organization, he didn't really have the power and control there running his own program. So he left and Pitt was open. Pitt had not made the NCAA's in 54 years until last season. They had not made an ACC Tourney until under Vidovich, etc...

SLU is a good change of scenery for a fresh start, with a chance to return to previous form and show what he can do.

 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge new recruit for Billiken men's soccer--Patrick Weah of the class of 2020--was a high school All American and has big time experience and success as a goal scorer and assist man. Kevin beat out some of the biggest programs in the country for this incredible young player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

Huge new recruit for Billiken men's soccer--Patrick Weah of the class of 2020--was a high school All American and has big time experience and success as a goal scorer and assist man. Kevin beat out some of the biggest programs in the country for this incredible young player.

Nephew of George and cousin of Tim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billikenswin said:

Huge new recruit for Billiken men's soccer--Patrick Weah of the class of 2020--was a high school All American and has big time experience and success as a goal scorer and assist man. Kevin beat out some of the biggest programs in the country for this incredible young player.

Patrick, a 16-year-old striker, is in his first year with the Minnesota United academy after playing for Wayzata High School. With 20 goals and 15 assists in 2017, he led the Trojans to the Class AA championship, and he captured the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year Award. He’s now living in Maple Grove.

 

EYVmp3FWsAcqzBu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Patrick moved to Minnesota at age 11. Big, strong, fast, on ball skill, on ball strength, trained with Minnesota United 1st team this Spring and physically he did not look out of place.

Besides uncle George, cousin Tim, Patrick has some relatives in Springfield, Il from the three time NAIA National Championship days of Sangamon State (now U Illinois Springfield) in the 80's and 90's (lots of Liberian players). His brother Clarence plays for Sporting KC 19's (debut was at 16) Patrick is also related to Kyle Duncan of NY Red Bulls. 

Patrick switched to the Academy team after winning state undefeated as a high school Sophomore, and, being named Gatorade player of the year.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Billiken soccer head coach Dan Donigan has been named Technical Director of Sporting St. Louis soccer, overseeing all programs. Former Billiken assistant Dave Beck became the boys director last year replacing club founder, Tommy Howe. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kalish was very, very excited to pick up Weah.  Topped off his 2020 class.  To be sure, Weah has serious professional potential and if SLU gets two years out of him like we did with Brad Davis, then that will be fantastic.  Apparently, other schools got into the hunt later with Weah but Kalish and crew had made a significant impression through their communication and consistent show of interest that SLU came out ahead in the recruiting game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 year old Vedad Ibisevic continues to keep doing Vedad things. Another goal and assist for Hertha BSC today after the same last week. The former Billiken All American, and NCAA National Freshman of the year, is the only player in the German Bundesliga to score a goal in each calendar year from 2006-2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weah is huge get for the program.  Elevates the team immediately.  We should be expecting conference championships and deep tournament runs with him.  Deent chance he could be a top 5 player in the NCAA before he leaves SLU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 12:34 PM, SLUBALLS said:

Kalish was very, very excited to pick up Weah.  Topped off his 2020 class.  To be sure, Weah has serious professional potential and if SLU gets two years out of him like we did with Brad Davis, then that will be fantastic.  Apparently, other schools got into the hunt later with Weah but Kalish and crew had made a significant impression through their communication and consistent show of interest that SLU came out ahead in the recruiting game.

Given this huge get, what are reasonable expectations next year? I would guess the floor is making the NCAA but how far can they realistically go?

Is it safe to say that Kalish is an upgrade over the previous regime or is it too early to say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

Given this huge get, what are reasonable expectations next year? I would guess the floor is making the NCAA but how far can they realistically go?

Is it safe to say that Kalish is an upgrade over the previous regime or is it too early to say?

Agree they have a very solid team coming in. 

Whether they advance to the NCAA depends on a large part on the strength of the A10.  Are there any NCAA At-Large teams in the league this upcoming season?  Last season only Rhode Island went to the NCAA. They won the conference championship.  No At-Large teams.  If anyone knows if the Rams are solid again this season, please let us know.  VCU normally has a strong program.  Any VCU Ram fans know what this season will look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aj_arete said:

Is it safe to say that Kalish is an upgrade over the previous regime or is it too early to say?

Yes. We have had space fillers Bob Warming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former BIlliken great, Tim Ream, plays tomorrow for a chance for promotion to EPL when Fulham takes on Brentford.  Doesn't appear to be available on TV here in the States but let me know if anyone finds a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SLUBALLS said:

Former BIlliken great, Tim Ream, plays tomorrow for a chance for promotion to EPL when Fulham takes on Brentford.  Doesn't appear to be available on TV here in the States but let me know if anyone finds a way.

ESPN+ has it. 

 

I really hope they win.  Craven Cottage is a great place for the PL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

ESPN+ has it. 

 

I really hope they win.  Craven Cottage is a great place for the PL. 

Plus is there another PL league team that has the history with US players as Fulham? Right off the top of my head I can think of McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Ream, and I think Keller played there for a year or 2. So really not just US players but some of the really best US players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Plus is there another PL league team that has the history with US players as Fulham? Right off the top of my head I can think of McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Ream, and I think Keller played there for a year or 2. So really not just US players but some of the really best US players. 

There is also Marcus Hahnemann, Eddie Lewis, Eddie Johnson, Emerson Hyndman and Luca de la Torre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

There is also Marcus Hahnemann, Eddie Lewis, Eddie Johnson, Emerson Hyndman and Luca de la Torre.

Wow, I really did not realize all those Americans came through there.  McBride is certainly revered, to the point he has a pub at Craven named after him.

Eddie Johnson....talk about someone who just did not take it to the next level although it appeared he had the tools.  I remember watching him as a 17 year old at SLU when they hosted a U17 World Cup qualifying game.  He stood out for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Speyburn said:

There is also Marcus Hahnemann, Eddie Lewis, Eddie Johnson, Emerson Hyndman and Luca de la Torre.

NM, had thought hyndman hadn’t played at Fulham but was incorrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More broadly in terms of Americans in the premier league, there isn't a ton of representation. Tottenham has had Kasey Keller, Dempsey, Brad Friedel and a little bit of Deandre Yedlin. Claudio Reyna was at Man City, where Zach Steffen is expected to play next season. Obviously Howard and Donavan at Everton. I think a number of players have made pitstops at Aston Villa, including Brad Guzan who was there goalie for an extender period.

Currently we have Pulisic at Chelsea, and it sounds like Weston Mckennie is likely to move to a premier league team this transfer window. Deandre Yedlin is at Newcastle, though he is also likely to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...