GDT: Game of the Year

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody wants to bench him.  We want him to play defense.  Can't play 4 on 5 on one end of the floor.    And if he isn't carrying his weight and fighting with the coach you will also end up with team chemistry issues.  I agree he is the best OFFENSIVE player.  Problem is right now he is the worst defensive player.    

Btw glory,  defense and rebounding are mostly about effort.  The fact Isabell has shown so well offensively we know he is athletic enough to be a good defender.  That means the only reason  he doesn't succeed  defensively is effort. I don't care how great he is offensively if he doesn't want  to play hard he can't play.

rgbilliken likes this

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Nobody wants to bench him.  We want him to play defense.  Can't play 4 on 5 on one end of the floor.    And if he isn't carrying his weight and fighting with the coach you will also end up with team chemistry issues.  I agree he is the best OFFENSIVE player.  Problem is right now he is the worst defensive player.    

Btw glory,  defense and rebounding are mostly about effort.  The fact Isabell has shown so well offensively we know he is athletic enough to be a good defender.  That means the only reason  he doesn't succeed  defensively is effort. I don't care how great he is offensively if he doesn't want  to play hard he can't play.

Further to your point, he averaged 7.5 boards last year so he *can* provide the effort needed. 

As @dlarry said, the issue is about effort and not necessarily whether Isabell is a good defender.  If he just gives the requisite effort then I think we’ll be fine on D with Isabell on the court.  If he doesn’t give the necessary effort, then he’ll see the bench.  

rgbilliken likes this

55 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Isabell is our best player and this board is trying to bench him. Get real

Do you want a guy on the court who scores 20 but gives up 25 or the guy who scores 15 but only gives up 10?

ill take the guy who is +5 over the guy who is -5

Gets the defensive rebound and pushes the ball up the court. Hmm, where have we seen that before? That's great if he can close the deal, but it sounds a little like our old friend Malik. Anyone who's seen him in the exhibitions seen a similarity to Malik? 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Gets the defensive rebound and pushes the ball up the court. Hmm, where have we seen that before? That's great if he can close the deal, but it sounds a little like our old friend Malik. Anyone who's seen him in the exhibitions seen a similarity to Malik? 

He plays nothing like Milik (proper spelling)

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

Isabell's issues are not limited to his poor defense effort, in the last exhibition game he was credited with 7 or 8 (cannot remember exactly) TOs out of a total of 18, too many by anyone's count. On the good side he is a good scorer, will be defended heavily opening up other players, and makes a lot of assists. Ford will have to deal with him in a way that he maximizes the good and minimizes the bad he brings into our game.

Neither of these stats are accurate. Our team had 24 turnovers and Isabell had 4. 

2 hours ago, Water Boy said:

I should introduce myself.  I am a Drexel fan who is here just lurking around to see how Tramaine does.

I think a lot of the observations on him in these first two exhibitions is in line with what he showed at Drexel.  He certainly has his moments of defensive lapses.  There was one game last year where he got benched for probably the last quarter of the game after he kept getting beat on back door cuts (after they had spent the day before in practice stressing that exact thing).  That being said, the numbers show that Drexel opponents scored at a lower rate when he was in the game versus not.  It could have something to do with him pushing the rate of play; I don't know how it would come out on a possession basis.  The +/- was better when he was in the game as well.  Take that with a grain of salt though as Drexel was overall a bad defensive team.

As someone mentioned above, he can do well when he puts in the effort as he rebounding numbers would suggest.  Isabell was often the off-guard last year, but if he got a defensive rebound, he had the green light to push the ball up the floor; I think that was part of what motivated him to rebound. 

Thank you. Some posters are just looking for someone to beat down on for no reason 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He literally validated our views that isabell can be lackadaisical on defense.

He said the team was more efficient when he was on vs off and teams scored less when he was on the court. Re read it. That to me says he is a force multiplier and not a guy who puts up 25 and the team loses 30 

No one is looking to beat down anyone. I don’t know why we ban politics as this board can sometimes be exactly the same extreme right or extreme left. If someone says he needs to work harder on d, someone else will read he’s the worst defender in D1 over the last 79 years. If you say he’s got a nice outside stroke, someone will read his shot is so f..king good Steph Curry goes to him for shooting tips

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I only saw all but 5 minutes of first game and thought he is just what we ordered. His 3 was great, good passer and a couple of dazzling layups. I saw no drive in to 3 guys tendencies whatsoever. I also wasn't picking up on how bad his D was s who knows + it was QU. If he doesn't cut it we have 3 freshman itching for action plus Wiley. This is light years ahead of last year.