• Hasahn French
    • Demarius Jacobs
    • Fred Thatch Jr.
    • KC Hankton
    • Ingvi Thor Gudmundsson
    • Elliott Welmer
    • Luis Santos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/2018 at 01:13 PM

Since we are coming up on 36 hours with no posts, we can try to get a little discussion going. 

Who will lead the team in PPG?  After 48 hours or so, I will close the poll, take out the winner, and move on to Leading scorer #2.  We can also do a leading rebounder poll-  that may be where the most competition is.

For me, this is a three way race.  Goodwin, Isabell, and Bess seem the most likely contenders IMO.  

I think a lot of votes will go to Goodwin, deservedly.  I'm voting Bess.  I think he is the most consistent scorer on the team.  Goodwin will have some high scoring games, but I think will also facilitate a lot in search of more triple doubles.  Isabell would be most likely to have a 30 point game, I think, but I don't know how consistent his scoring will be.  

I think Hasahn will be highest scoring big, though Carte'are and Luis will have their games too.

18 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I voted Bess.  He just gets buckets.  He's not necessarily a go-to scorer, and he probably won't explode for 30 to 40 points, but he'll probably have the fewest single-digit scoring games.

Good points.  I voted for Bess also, but he was a single digit scorer in 10 of his 33 games.  Goodwin was in single digits 14 of his 26 games. What may be interesting is whether or not each exceeds last year's season ppg of 13.3 ppg for Bess and 11.8 ppg for Goodwin.

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Good points.  I voted for Bess also, but he was a single digit scorer in 10 of his 33 games.  Goodwin was in single digits 14 of his 26 games. What may be interesting is whether or not each exceeds last year's season ppg of 13.3 ppg for Bess and 11.8 ppg for Goodwin.

Ya id be surprised if anyone is higher than 14 ppg.  Could also see a player like wiley/thatch average 4-5 ppg yet have games where they go nuts

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya id be surprised if anyone is higher than 14 ppg.  Could also see a player like wiley/thatch average 4-5 ppg yet have games where they go nuts

Well, I could see Bess around 15 or 16 ppg, particularly with a team-wide bump in scoring this season.  I'm looking for the team to average in the high 70s.  And I could see Goodwin over 13/game.

5 to 6 averaging double figures with JGood averaging 18 to 20 this team will roll offensively.

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think you're a year ahead.

I'm not feeling the "we'll be even better in a year" thought process. We are losing 4 seniors after this season at a minimum and who knows who else could leave for whatever reason. Yes, Ford has a way of finding more talent to put on the roster but that's a large ask, especially given we only have one player committed for next year

slufan13 likes this

We'll miss Bess for sure.  Foreman?  We've got the beef without him.  Isabell and Wiley who knows? 

We could easily better next year with juniors Goodwin and French, and sophomores Thor, Jacobs, Hankton, and Gordon.  Also Santos and who ever else I forgot and who we may recruit........  

14 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm not feeling the "we'll be even better in a year" thought process. We are losing 4 seniors after this season at a minimum and who knows who else could leave for whatever reason. Yes, Ford has a way of finding more talent to put on the roster but that's a large ask, especially given we only have one player committed for next year

I don't know that we'll for sure be better, but I don't expect a drop off until Goodwin/French graduate.  Sort of like the recent 3 year run of NCAA teams, we lost Conklin/Cassity one year, then Kwamain/Ellis/Remekun the next, but all 3 years teams were pretty close to each other in terms of how "good" they were.

We certainly have potential to get better if Ford can continue to recruit the qualify of players he has so far.

30 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I am a big fan of Thatch.  So I do agree with your statement that on not feeling the "we'll be even better in a year" thought process.

Outside of recruiting, I am hopeful that Thatch will effectively replace Bess (that is how high I am on him).  It is early though, so we will see.

We will still have Wiley and Isabell creating real voids.  Foreman is someone I really like, but thankfully we already have good depth on the frontline.

37 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I was really just talking about Goodwin's averaging 18-20 points per game.  I think he may do that as a junior and/or senior, but I don't think he'll get there this year.  If he does push 20 ppg in 2018-19, then he won't likely be here beyond his sophomore season.

I do, though, think expectations for 2019-20 should be no less than expectations for this season, because then the core of Goodwin, French, and Gordon will then be two juniors and a sophomore instead of two sophomores and a freshman.  It makes a big difference.