Collegesportsmadness' Top 144

bauman

On 9/11/2018 at 7:53 AM, drkelsey55 said:

Has them as #2 in the A10 but projected to the NIT??? One bid year???

I picked this off another site.  I didn't take the time to verify it.

Since the field expanded in 1985, the Atlantic 10 has been a one-bid conference four times in 34 seasons. The last two of those were the 2001-02 and 2004-05 seasons. Here are the rest of the numbers:

Two bids (6 times)

Three bids (16 times)

Four bids (4 times)

5 bids (3 times)

Six bids (once).

Obviously, the league could have a down year, but, over the last 34 seasons the A10 has averaged 3 bids each year.

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

I guess that will be a tough road game.  I didn't think they were going to be that good based on who they lost from last year.

which is why i think SLU is still a week or two away from being on the list.

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

I guess that will be a tough road game.  I didn't think they were going to be that good based on who they lost from last year.

Or: I guess SLU will be a tough home test for them. They didn't think we were going to be that good based on who we added to last year's team.

41 minutes ago, bauman said:

All road games are tough, but this is a biggie for us.  I think we'll need a split of the big 6 non-conference games (@SH, @SIU, @Houston, @Pitt, Butler, and @FSU).   

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

All road games are tough, but this is a biggie for us.  I think we'll need a split of the big 6 non-conference games (@SH, @SIU, @Houston, @Pitt, Butler, and @FSU).   

I think every one but Florida St should be a win if we are truly going to be as good as we are expecting. 

SShoe likes this

Seton Hall will be tough. Down a little from last year, but still tough.

We also still haven't seen Butler, Florida State, or Houston. Butler should be coming up soon, FSU should be in the 15-20 range, and Houston should be around 40 or so.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

We also still haven't seen Butler, Florida State, or Houston. Butler should be coming up soon, FSU should be in the 15-20 range, and Houston should be around 40 or so.

-with their BEast contract I hope the Seton Hall game is on one of the Fox Sports channels

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I think every one but Florida St should be a win if we are truly going to be as good as we are expecting. 

I think we CAN be the type of team that wins 5 of these, but simply from a "make the tourney" standpoint, I think 3 and 3 during this set and no trip-ups elsewhere in the non-conference should put us on track.  Road games are difficult no matter what and we've essentially got 5 of them here.  

gobillsgo and slufanskip like this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Seton hall checks in at 55

This is good. If you want to make an assumption that this arbitrary rating is somewhat indicative of a NCAA NET, we have a shot at a Quadrant 1 win @ Seton Hall. With the A10 being trashed by the national media, we need to build up as many Quad 1 wins in OOC as possible. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

By  the way, kuddos to the folks that do scheduling.  We've always had difficulties scheduling quality opponents.  This year's schedule should leave no complaints in the selection committee's eyes.

Billiken Rich likes this

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

By  the way, kuddos to the folks that do scheduling.  We've always had difficulties scheduling quality opponents.  This year's schedule should leave no complaints in the selection committee's eyes.

Completely agree. We had some pretty good non-conference schedules under Romar and Soderberg, but it's been mostly weak since then. Majerus liked softer schedules for his transitional and younger teams, and wasn't around long enough to have an established veteran program with tougher schedules. We didn't end up with great schedules under Crews, either. But Ford seems to get what it takes for a non-power conference program these days. This is a really nice schedule.

Brighton likes this

It will be interesting to see who will be on the schedule for next season since Seton Hall seems to be the only series continuing after this season. This season is the 2nd game of Oregon State, Houston, Butler, and SIU(could see this being extended). I am guessing the Florida State and Pitt games are a one-time thing too.

This should've been in the Schedule thread but only brought it up because of the above posts.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Completely agree. We had some pretty good non-conference schedules under Romar and Soderberg, but it's been mostly weak since then. Majerus liked softer schedules for his transitional and younger teams, and wasn't around long enough to have an established veteran program with tougher schedules. We didn't end up with great schedules under Crews, either. But Ford seems to get what it takes for a non-power conference program these days. This is a really nice schedule.

I forget, did Majerus start the series with Wichita St, or was that Crews?  I feel like it was Majerus but I could be wrong. 

That would’ve been a nice one to keep going. 

18 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I forget, did Majerus start the series with Wichita St, or was that Crews?  I feel like it was Majerus but I could be wrong. 

That would’ve been a nice one to keep going. 

We played in 2013-2016, so that would've been Crews' doing. Four straight losses, unfortunately, but the first one was at least close.

20 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-excellent!

-fwiw, on their schedule Butler has tv as tbd, I get it, road game, perhaps our ADept won't have to pay full freight to get that one on the tele

I’m interested in your second comment. What does it cost $ the Athletic Dept to get games on TV?  

12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-wish I knew

If any poster has knowledge on this topic, I would be interested in knowing more.  What does it cost in $ for SLU to have a game broadcasted on both national and then local TV?  Does SLU pay the network and McLaughlin and Highmark when they do a game?

Also, what about radio?  Are Rammer and Earl and 101.1 paid by SLU or by the advertisers when they broadcast the games? 

almaman likes this

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If any poster has knowledge on this topic, I would be interested in knowing more.  What does it cost in $ for SLU to have a game broadcasted on both national and then local TV?  Does SLU pay the network and McLaughlin and Highmark when they do a game?

Also, what about radio?  Are Rammer and Earl and 101.1 paid by SLU or by the advertisers when they broadcast the games? 

The advertisers do not pay the commentators directly. Our payments are to Learfield.

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Don't know the answer but here is my guess. We sell the rights to our production to Learfield Communications. They give the U x dollars for the rights. Learfield then goes out and sells the advertising ,pays the annoucers etc.