Collegesportsmadness' Top 144

bauman

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

@philliken has 54 and I have 53. I think one of us is going to snag this.

Also, Billy Kitty at 53.  I think you are too high, but we'll see.  You don't have much wiggle room since since #52 would go to 2 other posters.   The #  45 is the most picked # remaining with 4 people on it, #48 next most popular with 3 posters.  Might have to employ the tie-breaker rules!

A-10 so far:  VCU  128; DUQ  105;  UMASS   88;  URI  78;  SJ   63;   GMU   61;  DAV   57;   SLU   ?????

I hope this web site is wrong about the A-10 being a one-bid conference-I see two for sure---SLU & SJ (if they can stay healthy).  The mag, Athlon, has two in  (Dav & us).  I just don't understand the love for Davidson-a 2 player team, but they do have a great coach.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to see this site pick the Bills over Davidson. Like others on here, I just didn't see Davidson as the class of the A10. They'l definitelyl be in the hunt, but they are playing on a razor's edge should anyone of their starters or contributors suffer an injury. I think our depth is the reason for my optimism re the Bills. While we don't like to think or talk about injuries, they are a sad fact of life. Right now I can only see one position that would really be a severe blow to us if this player were to go down. I won't mention a name because I don't want to curse them.

16 minutes ago, bauman said:

I hope this web site is wrong about the A-10 being a one-bid conference-I see two for sure---SLU & SJ (if they can stay healthy).  The mag, Athlon, has two in  (Dav & us).  I just don't understand the love for Davidson-a 2 player team, but they do have a great coach.

I mean, better chance than not their wrong. They said last year only two A10 teams get in, there were three.

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Happy to see this site pick the Bills over Davidson. Like others on here, I just didn't see Davidson as the class of the A10. They'l definitelyl be in the hunt, but they are playing on a razor's edge should anyone of their starters or contributors suffer an injury. I think our depth is the reason for my optimism re the Bills. While we don't like to think or talk about injuries, they are a sad fact of life. Right now I can only see one position that would really be a severe blow to us if this player were to go down. I won't mention a name because I don't want to curse them.

72, your 'severe blow' comment got me to thinking about who we would miss the most.  Not naming names, but I think we would be ok, even if impacted a bit, by all but the #3 / SF position.  I just don't see as much  depth there as at other spots.  Of course, there are players that we would absolutely miss (a few of our bigger stars) but I think our depth would get us through at the 2 Big spots and the 2 guard spots even if the unthinkable happened.  Let's just have a great injury-free season where we run the Conference and play a few games in the NCAA.  This should be the most fun I have had at Billiken games since the Claggs/Highmark/Waldman years.

I googled several 'way too early' brackets, most from spring 2018, and a few have only one A10 team. It has been consistently Davidson.  This is the first one with Davidson missing.  Guesses are free so I’m guessing three A10 teams make it, SLU/Davidson/GeorgeM or St.Joe. 

If you take care of business and win, then the speculation over how many teams from what conference get bids does not matter.  I have watched this league since we came in in 2005.  What I have learned has been in generalities ---- generally, picking this dog fight down to the wire is futile.  Shoulda/coulda/wouldas always seem to fall flat.  There is always a team out there that no one expects and no one sees coming.  And there is always at least one "upset" in the league tournament so you have to be prepared to be that team.

Every year, the top team in the A10 spends a whole lot of time churning its way through the borderline waters of #26 through #40.  Usually, even good wins gets overlooked because the big boys are romping all over the lower ranks, media is focused on tournaments, and only the shocking upsets command attention.  For that to be us and for us to crack the stratosphere between now and the conference season, we are likely going to have to go undefeated and beat Seton, Hall, Pitt, Butler, Oregon State and Houston as we then head into the Florida State game.  And that means losing to none of our dregs.  If that happens, the shine on that State game is huge.  If we lose to say Seton Hall and Florida State, notice will be served but we will be no closer to the Top 25 than we are now.  Then its into the conference slate.

If your key is to be ranked, this is how we can do it.  Solely.  Then you have to win the conference.  If that were to happen, who gives a shite about Brooklyn, we'll be in and the tournament winner can get the auto bid.  If two teams do this, ala Rhodey and the Bonnies last year, then a Davidson can sneak in and make it three.  But if you recall, the Bonnies were sweating bullets last year.  And I don't think any of last year's three A10 teams have any stored cachet from last year --- unlike Rhodey did the season prior into last. 

I think the top three are us, Mason and the Joeys.  Given the propensity for the selection committee going to all Power 5's to fill the bracket holes, that's not good for one of us.  I think Grady will break down.  I am not sold that all of Duqesne's and Umass' transfers will mesh and work.  Dayton's roster is shallow.  VCU has many unknowns.  Rhodey lost a lot in players and even a coach.  It takes time.  The rest are shoddy at best.  I think two bids are most likely, but could see even one.  Three will be a happy maximum.

9 hours ago, bauman said:

72, your 'severe blow' comment got me to thinking about who we would miss the most.  Not naming names, but I think we would be ok, even if impacted a bit, by all but the #3 / SF position.  I just don't see as much  depth there as at other spots.  Of course, there are players that we would absolutely miss (a few of our bigger stars) but I think our depth would get us through at the 2 Big spots and the 2 guard spots even if the unthinkable happened.  Let's just have a great injury-free season where we run the Conference and play a few games in the NCAA.  This should be the most fun I have had at Billiken games since the Claggs/Highmark/Waldman years.

On the same wave length. 

9 hours ago, bauman said:

Goodwin, Wiley, Bess and Isbell are the veteran guards. Surely one or two of them could slide over if Bess must sit. Or, there may be times depending on matchups and fouls that two guards and three forwards are out there. TFord recently indicated Shaft/Thatch was ahead of the rest of the freshmen & he could be a good option for subbing at the 3, so that's encouraging.

10 hours ago, bauman said:

Also, Billy Kitty at 53.  I think you are too high, but we'll see.  You don't have much wiggle room since since #52 would go to 2 other posters.   The #  45 is the most picked # remaining with 4 people on it, #48 next most popular with 3 posters.  Might have to employ the tie-breaker rules!

A-10 so far:  VCU  128; DUQ  105;  UMASS   88;  URI  78;  SJ   63;   GMU   61;  DAV   57;   SLU   ?????

49 is the number

4 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

I picked 51 with the comment that no one would pick us in the top 50 - what happened to that post?

I still have you at #51.  No one picked #52 and two people, you and wgstl both picked #51 so if #52 or #51 is our Top 144 website pick you and wgstl would be tied for the win, before going to the tiebreaker.

Edited by bauman
Addl. info

This guy sadly seems to continue to demonstrate a level of immaturity that is as large as his ego.  I don't know what this is all about but school's been in session, what, two weeks?  In reading the release/story, I did not know his off-the-court antics have not only continued, but show a pattern of increasingly stupid behavior.  Theft of a cell phone in 2016 (charges dropped).  Driving on a suspended license in 2017.  Later arrested for failure to appear in court on those charges.  Then just this summer an arrest after an incident with an ex-girlfriend (reckless conduct).  Maybe the young lady upped the charges. 

Back in February 2016, I watched Yarbrough and Jolly yucking it up on the bench at St. Joes, not the least bit concerned with anything going on on the floor.  To me, this was the epitome of the crumbling [dead] regime.  At that moment, I decided that not only did [dead] have to go, but so too did his no talent recruits and head cases.  Jolly and Yarbrough were the poster boys for this. 

Yarborugh may have been talented but he is just another in a long line of wasted talents who somehow overestimate their athletic worth.  Now, this kid may get exonerated in the long run.  I don't care, the pattern is enough for me.  So glad to know and fully appreciate his leaving. 

EDIT:  Since writing the above, the Bloomington Pantagraph is reporting he has been suspended for another traffic incident.  That's all I got before the subscription requirement kicked in.

dlarry likes this

27 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

EDIT:  Since writing the above, the Bloomington Pantagraph is reporting he has been suspended for another traffic incident.  That's all I got before the subscription requirement kicked in.

"Yarbrough was in custody Wednesday morning in connection with a traffic citation for failure to provide information and aid in an injury-related accident... He is expected to appear in court Wednesday afternoon on the charges... In July, Yarbrough pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and was sentenced to 12 months of court supervision after a dispute with a former girlfriend at his apartment...Yarbrough also was placed on six months court supervision in May after he pleaded guilty to driving on a suspended license."

55 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

This guy sadly seems to continue to demonstrate a level of immaturity that is as large as his ego.  I don't know what this is all about but school's been in session, what, two weeks?  In reading the release/story, I did not know his off-the-court antics have not only continued, but show a pattern of increasingly stupid behavior.  Theft of a cell phone in 2016 (charges dropped).  Driving on a suspended license in 2017.  Later arrested for failure to appear in court on those charges.  Then just this summer an arrest after an incident with an ex-girlfriend (reckless conduct).  Maybe the young lady upped the charges. 

Back in February 2016, I watched Yarbrough and Jolly yucking it up on the bench at St. Joes, not the least bit concerned with anything going on on the floor.  To me, this was the epitome of the crumbling [dead] regime.  At that moment, I decided that not only did [dead] have to go, but so too did his no talent recruits and head cases.  Jolly and Yarbrough were the poster boys for this. 

Yarborugh may have been talented but he is just another in a long line of wasted talents who somehow overestimate their athletic worth.  Now, this kid may get exonerated in the long run.  I don't care, the pattern is enough for me.  So glad to know and fully appreciate his leaving. 

Fully agree

Taj for some reason the news reported in the Pantagraph opened in my computer with no problems. This is what was reported. Sunday 9/9 at 2:27 A, a car driven by Milik hit a woman as she was stepping down the curb. The woman was treated for injuries to her L foot and elbow. Milik allegedly did not stop or offer assistance to the woman. The incident was closed until two passengers in Milik's car reported the possible hit and run incident to the police on Tuesday, following which the police arrested Milik at 9:44 P Tuesday. Again, this is what was reported today by the Pantagraph regarding Milik.

Meanwhile, back in the land of actual basketball topics, especially those covered by the thread topic,  Bama at # 56.  That puts Billikan Fan_Dan and Tonka out.  A #54 or #55 for SLU would make philliken the winner.  I'm still liking my #48, which I share with a couple others.

Just a question for the mods---can we move all the Milik stuff to his own thread?

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

Meanwhile, back in the land of actual basketball topics, especially those covered by the thread topic,  Bama at # 56.  That puts Billikan Fan_Dan and Tonka out.  A #54 or #55 for SLU would make philliken the winner.  I'm still liking my #48, which I share with a couple others.

Just a question for the mods---can we move all the Milik stuff to his own thread?

why dont we just quit talking about yarborough.   he was nothing but trouble at slu and he left that should have been good riddance from the fandom.  why do we care what he does on or off the court?

slu72 and HenryB like this

6 hours ago, bauman said:

We don't need a thread on an errant ISU player. Their problem not ours.