2018-19 Schedule

ACE

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The NCAA can put a stop to this if they really care about fair scheduling given that they are using the lack of an SOS/RPI as a reason for selecting NCAA tourney teams.  They can not have it both ways.  If they allow this to continue then they will need to rethink how they select teams or open it up to more teams - maybe the top 3 or 4 from each conference going through a play in process.

Your key comment is "if they really care about fair scheduling".  I really don't think the NCAA will do anything to stop the 20 game conference schedules or P5+1 alliances.  It is all about money, and face it, a Villanova v Kansas game draws a lot more attention (and advertising $$) than Villanova v SLU.   

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put money on the H/H being with DePaul - offers SLU another opportunity to build the Chicagoland alumni network/raise money, Chaifetz lives there, and DePaul is bad enough to not thumb their nose at us when we ask for a H/H knowing that we will beat them (also, history from Great Midwest).

Last time SLU played in Chicago was at UIC for some tournament when Majerus was coaching.  Been too long.

15 minutes ago, slu06 said:

I'd put money on the H/H being with DePaul - offers SLU another opportunity to build the Chicagoland alumni network/raise money, Chaifetz lives there, and DePaul is bad enough to not thumb their nose at us when we ask for a H/H knowing that we will beat them (also, history from Great Midwest).

Last time SLU played in Chicago was at UIC for some tournament when Majerus was coaching.  Been too long.

Agree on all fronts. Plus, It would be nice reminding the Big East that they forgot to add us :)

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agree on all fronts. Plus, It would be nice reminding the Big East that they forgot to add us :)

While DePaul would not be the most attractive Big East opponent obviously, it would be a great game with a ton of SLU support in the city and for traveling STL fans. Plus, I would love to catch a game at DePaul's new arena. It looks pretty cool. 

6 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

While DePaul would not be the most attractive Big East opponent obviously, it would be a great game with a ton of SLU support in the city and for traveling STL fans. Plus, I would love to catch a game at DePaul's new arena. It looks pretty cool. 

Yeah, that arena looks awesome. There are a lot worse Big East cities to visit than Chicago that's for sure!

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Yeah, that arena looks awesome. There are a lot worse Big East cities to visit than Chicago that's for sure!

I would make a pretty confident bet there are as many Bills fans as Demon fans. 

DePaul is an RPI killer.

Teams finishing last season with higher RPI's than DePaul (and might help us get a NCAA Tourney bid over playing DePaul) include:

N. Iowa, Evansville, Missouri State, Indiana State, Bradley, Drake, Illinois State, SIU, and Loyola. 

JMM28 likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

DePaul is an RPI killer.

Teams finishing last season with higher RPI's than DePaul (and might help us get a NCAA Tourney bid over playing DePaul) include:

N. Iowa, Evansville, Missouri State, Indiana State, Bradley, Drake, Illinois State, SIU, and Loyola. 

Agree. Scheduling DePaul would be a miss for this program at this time. 

I would not mind SLU playing Creighton at the CenturyLink next year. They'll be a bit down from last year especially if Khyri Thomas goes to the NBA. Should finish middle of the pack in BE and be very inconsistent again. I could see it being beneficial to McDermott too as it seems like he has been recruiting the STL area recently. Also, it would be a 7 minute drive from the apartment which is a huge plus.

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

DePaul is an RPI killer.

The thing is, it's not important what the RPI ranking of the teams you play is.  What's important is the winning percentage of the teams you play.

Just because Team B has a higher RPI ranking than Team A doesn't mean it's better to play Team B.  You have to look at their winning percentage.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The thing is, it's not important what the RPI ranking of the teams you play is.  What's important is the winning percentage of the teams you play.

Just because Team B has a higher RPI ranking than Team A doesn't mean it's better to play Team B.  You have to look at their winning percentage.

As a moderator, you should really know how to use the functionality of blue font, sir. 

HoosierPal likes this

I'd like to say DePaul will be better, but they probably won't.

They lose Marin Maric and TreDarius McCallum to graduation and Brandon Cyrus, a transfer. Those were the #2, 4, and 5 scorers and were 3rd-5th in minutes.

They bring in an Illinois transfer, Jalen Coleman-Lands (we offered his younger brother Isaiah, a Miami-Ohio player, when Crews was still here). They also bring in a Ukranian big man who played at a prep school in Georgia and yet another Diener cousin, John. I don't think he's projected to be the player on the level of Drake or Travis, probably more of a Drew type but smaller. At least he'll be more athletic than Drew, which isn't saying much.

They return their leading scorer, Max Strus, who is testing the NBA waters but won't go. He averages nearly 17 PPG without any efficiency (.408 from the field, .333 from 3). His percentages are somehow better than Eli Cain's, at 11.7 PPG on .348 from the field and .313 from 3. Basically, these guys are streaky chuckers with no chemistry. Leitao is counting on Coleman-Lands to be a glue guy

They were 11-20 last season, 4-14 in the Big East, and the 10-seed in the BE Tournament, where they lost to Marquette in the first round. They got a big 2019 commitment this week but that unfortunately does nothing for them this season, and that commitment will be at risk if Leitao gets fired.

If you can schedule a Big East team, you schedule them.  Relationship building is important.

The vast majority of casual college basketball fans would rather pay to see SLU play DePaul over any Valley team with the exception of Loyola right now.   Throw the RPI out the window.  People would rather see SLU play DePaul than fricking Evansville.  You people in Evansville would even agree.

22 hours ago, brianstl said:

If you can schedule a Big East team, you schedule them.  Relationship building is important.

Agreed. We keep scheduling Big East teams until Big East teams are the conference schedule. Never let the topic die. NEVER SURRENDER. 

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-is there another place in the universe where BEast expansion is mentioned besides on here?

Reddit.

There was this article on Cincinnati.com in early March with the Big East commissioner that said they are open to it but it's not on horizon Link

23 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Reddit.

There was this article on Cincinnati.com in early March with the Big East commissioner that said they are open to it but it's not on horizon Link

Well, I don't think they would consider Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, Green Bay, IUPUI, Milwaukee, N. Ky., Oakland (Mich.), UI-Chicago, Wright St., or Youngstown St. at this time.