Porter/Majerus

bills16

I'd expect if Porter gets the Ramblers back to the dance this year and even loses in round 1, he will have some P5 schools giving his agent phone calls. That sounds like a lot of $$$ for a final 4 appearance, but anything's possible in this day and age of big money sports. I'd really like to see is Loyola get into the A10. However, another good showing in the dance might just get them an invite to the AAC. I'd guess DePaul would argue vehemently against their getting into the Beast. Besides, DePaul already gives the Beast a market presence in Chicago.

Speaking of the A10, one would think since we've appeared to be down the last two years, the commish or some committee would start thinking about how to reinforce the conference. Fordham, while it's in NYC, continues to disappoint even though they reside in one of the best hunting grounds in the world. The right coach there and some added resources could pull them out of the doldrums, but the school doesn't seem to care or make the commitment to improve. Time to send them to the MEACC or the Colonial. LaSalle's another one on shaky grounds given their financial woes. Still, they did make a commitment with their new coach. But why do we need two Philly teams? And Richmond and UMass might be better served by getting into a FB conference like the MAC or even the AAC.

The A10 has teams to pick from to make it a higher quality conference than it's current makeup. Loyola would be a good addition for more reaons than just last year's success. Now that they've been to the promised land and got the money, they'll try and keep it rolling even if Porter departs. Benefit for  the A10 is it gets a bigger footprint in the Midwest and evens out the geography a little more. Other MW programs that seem to be plusses would be Valpo, Belmont, even Detroit Mercy (seems like they're trying to improve and they beat us last year). Bottom line: just seems to me the A10 should be seriously looking at a shake up and some realignment.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

This season would have been really hard to get Loyola on the schedule.  We already had the back end of four home and homes on the schedule.  Next season if Porter want a home and home with, I believe we will see it happen.  Porter is tight with the right person connected to SLU basketball.  SLU won't avoid Loyola with Porter has the coach.

If Loyola strings together a couple more strong seasons, scheduling will get much easier for them.  That is what happened at VCU and Gonzaga.  Plus, Loyola will have Chicago as selling point when trying to schedule.

I hope we can look back a few years from now and both of your paragraphs are true. 

Moser was pretty high on his incoming freshmen (okay, what coach wouldn't be).  He has a Nigerian 'big' from La Lumiere's 2017-18 23-4 team, a shooter who (this is important TGloryTDays) hit 45% of his 3's in AAU action for MOKAN Elite, plus he said Krutwig has dropped his body fat significantly.  Who knows how these guys will work out in the future, but he did say that recruits that wouldn't have given him time before last year are now listening.

I saw where he got a Verbal from a PG from Chicago that wanted to stay home, whose final three were Loyola, Wichita State and Florida State.  That's pretty good company.

Let's hope Loyola has turned the corner and continues a successful run. 

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

That is because you don't have a bromance with Porter like some on the board do.  I agree who cares - I see them as a rival for Chicago talent.

I don't see Loyola as a rival for Chicago talent.  Loyola, DePaul and Northwestern are rivals for Chicago talent that wants to stay home.  IL, IL St., Butler, X, Dayton are bigger rivals for Chicago kids that are looking to get away.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, slu72 said:

I think we'd kick Loyola's ass. I'd just like to see it happen. Not this year. Get them in the A10. 

Whoaaaa.   My hat is off to Loyola for a great year... and always pulling for Cinderella and fellow Jesuit schools.... and wishing best of luck to Porter, a great guy... who is keeping Majerus basketball alive... and yes, Chicago is a great source of future recruits and of students.  Already a ton of SLU Alums in Chicago.   And I get that a closer/Midwest rival is appealing... But Chicago Loyola has a 5,000 seat gym which they cannot sell out with very little winning tradition in modern times.  Chicago pays their head coach $420K and has a total athletic department budget of $14 million.  SLU, by contrast, has a 10,600 Chaivetz, a $22 million budget (and needs to increase it) and pay our head coach $1.__?___ (a lot more than $420k).  I suspect their support of their other sports programs is not that strong...  Why do we want them in our conference?   

Loyola, Detroit, Oral Roberts, Evansville... didn't we do this already under Grawer?  

25 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Whoaaaa.   My hat is off to Loyola for a great year... and always pulling for Cinderella and fellow Jesuit schools.... and wishing best of luck to Porter, a great guy... who is keeping Majerus basketball alive... and yes, Chicago is a great source of future recruits and of students.  Already a ton of SLU Alums in Chicago.   And I get that a closer/Midwest rival is appealing... But Chicago Loyola has a 5,000 seat gym which they cannot sell out with very little winning tradition in modern times.  Chicago pays their head coach $420K and has a total athletic department budget of $14 million.  SLU, by contrast, has a 10,600 Chaivetz, a $22 million budget (and needs to increase it) and pay our head coach $1.__?___ (a lot more than $420k).  I suspect their support of their other sports programs is not that strong...  Why do we want them in our conference?   

Loyola, Detroit, Oral Roberts, Evansville... didn't we do this already under Grawer?  

Speaking of Grawer and Loyola. I have fond memories of a Tip-off Club trip to Chicago to play Loyola. Game was played in an on campus gym that sat around 1000people in an upstairs gym. Our seats were in the first row behind the Billiken bench on bleacher seats with our knees literally touching the players. It was like we were sitting in the huddle. It was like being in the home gym in the movies Hoosiers. Can’t remember if we won or lost but probably lost since we almost always lost on those trips. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

When was the last time Fordham or Duquesne even sniffed making the dance? We need another MW team or two to balance the league. 

Fordham did not finish in the top 125 (per KenPom ratings) at all between 2002 - 2018.  2002 is the farthest KenPom goes back.  Highest finish by Fordham was 127 in 2006.  Therefore, it has been at least 16 years since they've sniffed the dance and likely longer.

Duquesne finished at 55 per KenPom as recently as in 2011.  They didn't make the dance, but I'd say they sniffed that year.  They have a much stronger track record in recent years than Fordham (although more variability year to year).

Edit: Duquesne also made the NIT in 2009.  With CBI appearances in 2010, 2011, and 2016.  Ron Everhart (Duquesne coach 2006 - 2012) probably didn't deserve to get canned.  He was the only Duquense coach since 1982 to end his career with a winning record.

Edited by RUBillsFan
Added more info.

12 hours ago, willie said:

Speaking of Grawer and Loyola. I have fond memories of a Tip-off Club trip to Chicago to play Loyola. Game was played in an on campus gym that sat around 1000people in an upstairs gym. Our seats were in the first row behind the Billiken bench on bleacher seats with our knees literally touching the players. It was like we were sitting in the huddle. It was like being in the home gym in the movies Hoosiers. Can’t remember if we won or lost but probably lost since we almost always lost on those trips. 

The only game I remember winning in Chicago was Roland Gray’s last second shot.

24 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I was also at that game. It was held at the Chicago Arena where the 1968 Democratic convention was held. When we went the whole arena was encircled by barb wire. Even on a bus it was a little scary. 

CBFan and BillikenBoy10 like this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Perhaps the best, single game Billiken performance, ever, occurred at Loyola on 3/1/1990 when Bonner went for 45 points and 20 rebounds in a Billiken 102-86 OT win.  Bonner went 19 of 30 from the field and 2 of 3 from the line.  Only 1,708 were in attendance.  Somewhat unique is that SLU outscored Loyola 18-2 in the OT.  

CBFan likes this

On 9/24/2018 at 10:09 PM, brianstl said:

The A10 features seven programs with facilities that seat under 5,500 people.

Yes. Which is a problem. 8 will make the A10 stronger?  If things are still the same in 5 years drom now, then I would listen. 

SLU72.  Yes. Another Midwestern school is needed. Would I swap Loyola for Duquesne?  Absolutely