Baseball

RiseAndGrind

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nobody has said that. You and 72 fan seem to agree that it is on the alumni to just write a check for a new facility which is fuoking nonsense . I’m sure they solicit donations It’s clearly not going well or they are completely ignoring the fact that the Billiken sports complex is lagging decades behind its peers. 

So where's the money going to come from then if not donations targeted for athletic facilities?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

So you guys think slu doesn't try to solicit donations?  Wow

It's not whether or not they try. It's whether or not they are any good at it. Here's a fact. I had season tickets for approx. 15 years, I gave enough that I was moving up the Billiken Club points system pretty quickly (Much more than the minimum donation). I let my season tickets and therefore my Billiken Club membership go as I just couldn't make many games due to coaching and work.  I went on trips with the team to Memphis and NoLa, had soccer season tickets also for quite a few years, attended the end of season banquet most years, hell the Billiken Club even had me to lunch and asked me if I wanted seats closer to the court at the Savvis. I brought hundreds of people to see the Lady Bills play every year and got promises rescinded and lied to more than once until we quit going. I'm not even an alum. Never once did the AD even say Hello to me despite my seeing him at many events over and over again. I've never spoken a word to him. When I let my season tickets go, no one called me and asked why. Not that year or any other year. I was a very vocal fan who invested a lot of time and money on the Bills and multiple sports who just quit and no one cared. You wonder why we can't raise money? 

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

So where's the money going to come from then if not donations targeted for athletic facilities?

Again. How does Chaminade raise money or SIUE? Why can't SLU and superstar AD? He's been there 10 years and only thing he can maybe take credit for is that overpriced storage shed and bad rebrand of the Billiken everyone hates. Maybe Travis Ford can go get money for baseball field for the AD. Then AD can take credit. AD couldn't sell cleaning supplies to a maid.

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy, you aren’t an idiot. Please try to keep up. You and 72 fan have said multiple times to write a check. If I had the money why should I or anyone be expected to approach the athletic department to write a donation check? Is it the alumni’s job to provide a vision for a new facility? Should they commission an architect to design a new stadium? Fuok no. That’s on the Athletic Department. Without a vision in place to build a new stadium it’s pointless to approach the athletic department with a donation. 

almaman likes this

SLU has always had a preference for donations to other things at the school over athletic facilities.  May is not one of the greatest AD’s ever, but the fault for the athletic facilities rest with the people running the school.  You can start with the trustees.

You can hire all the ADs you want, but nothing will change until the BoT decides that more of focus needs to be placed on athletic facilities.

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Roy, you aren’t an idiot. Please try to keep up. You and 72 fan have said multiple times to write a check. If I had the money why should I or anyone be expected to approach the athletic department to write a donation check? Is it the alumni’s job to provide a vision for a new facility? Should they commission an architect to design a new stadium? Fuok no. That’s on the Athletic Department. Without a vision in place to build a new stadium it’s pointless to approach the athletic department with a donation. 

Your myopic vision of slu would seem to be idiotic though.  For you to not be able to prioritize needs and justify where donations are best served for "the best bang for the buck" is amazing.   A baseball stadium which likely will never cash flow would be a horrible utilization of funds when you consider the big picture of running a private university imo.  

I'm a sports nut.   And slu athletics in general will always have  my attention and concern, but I'm realistic enough to  know at this point in time for slu there are far more  important  fund raising concerns and visions.  

But don't let that stop you from being a slu legend.   Find that benefactor and bring them to the table to build Zak stadium.    Good luck!  We are all counting on you.

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

Funny I just talked to my buddy we go to basketball games with and he said Maryville, minus Chaifetz is nicer than SLU. It's laughable! What timing. And yes I'm sure SLU wants donations, what school doesn't....why don't they have them is the question? Everyone but them seems to have it figured out. Not SLU and anyone on this board that says write a check, donate the money, good for you, you've done more than AD has!

Curious what your friends connection to Maryville is? I have heard a lot of positive things about Maryville and the development going on there to the point they likely wish they didn’t sell so much of their land for corporate development.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

But don't let that stop you from being a slu legend.   Find that benefactor and bring them to the table to build Zak stadium.    Good luck!  We are all counting on you.

Not his job. Chris May and the development staffs job. And they apparently got cucked by the business school for new Chaifetz money. 

I do agree I think SLU could do a much better job.  Last year we tried to upgrade our basketball seats to a higher donation location and struggled to get somebody to help.  Even went down to Chaifetz and still not the best help.

What I don't get is why doesn't SLU a couple times a year put together some marketing and email (or mail) it out to basketball season ticket holders and alumni?  Hey here are some other athletic projects we are looking at doing and here is the fundraising amount that we need to get it done.  That way we can see what SLU plans and donate to a specific upgrade that we would like.  Each email update can include the amount closer they are to the goal so you know where your money is going.  I am not somebody that can cut a check for a million or even hundred thousand but doesn't mean I can't give anything and if I saw a new baseball stadium or soccer stadium was in the plans and needed some money, I'd try to help out. 

It's easy to say to help out write a check but I also don't think it's that difficult to email out what they want me to write that check for.  

Shoot if I have learned anything the past couple years, St. Louis seems to be the capital of sport stadium renderings that won't ever get built, SLU would fit right in even if none of them get done.  

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

It's not whether or not they try. It's whether or not they are any good at it. Here's a fact. I had season tickets for approx. 15 years, I gave enough that I was moving up the Billiken Club points system pretty quickly (Much more than the minimum donation). I let my season tickets and therefore my Billiken Club membership go as I just couldn't make many games due to coaching and work.  I went on trips with the team to Memphis and NoLa, had soccer season tickets also for quite a few years, attended the end of season banquet most years, hell the Billiken Club even had me to lunch and asked me if I wanted seats closer to the court at the Savvis. I brought hundreds of people to see the Lady Bills play every year and got promises rescinded and lied to more than once until we quit going. I'm not even an alum. Never once did the AD even say Hello to me despite my seeing him at many events over and over again. I've never spoken a word to him. When I let my season tickets go, no one called me and asked why. Not that year or any other year. I was a very vocal fan who invested a lot of time and money on the Bills and multiple sports who just quit and no one cared. You wonder why we can't raise money? 

Stop the fight. It’s over. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

This reads like a company that has zero sales focus and lacks customer service focus too. A true death cycle for any organization.

Anytime a season ticket holder does not renew, the ticket manager should know why that specific account did not renew - death, move, lack of interest, schedule, whatever. They should then backmarket to those people via whatever means to get them to at least buy single game seats, reengaged in the program, etc. Maybe that stuff happens, but I’m assuming it doesn’t. 

I do laugh at people who say “just write a check then” For what?! Would you go into a car dealer and just write a check? Or would you expect someone to sell you a goddamned car. You don’t get the money unless you ask for the money. It’s simple sales. 

18 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This reads like a company that has zero sales focus and lacks customer service focus too. A true death cycle for any organization.

Anytime a season ticket holder does not renew, the ticket manager should know why that specific account did not renew - death, move, lack of interest, schedule, whatever. They should then backmarket to those people via whatever means to get them to at least buy single game seats, reengaged in the program, etc. Maybe that stuff happens, but I’m assuming it doesn’t. 

I do laugh at people who say “just write a check then” For what?! Would you go into a car dealer and just write a check? Or would you expect someone to sell you a goddamned car. You don’t get the money unless you ask for the money. It’s simple sales. 

I stopped my Blues season tickets after the last lockout 5 or 6 years ago now.  I still get emails and calls each year from a representative asking if I want to return and even offering to help me out with purchasing single game tickets.  

24 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Hi JM- please give me some money. I like you and it appears we have a common interest in the Billikens. I have no concrete or definitive plans for your money, but since I’ve asked, can i please have some? I promise even though you’ve given me money in past and i don’t really have anything to show for it, I’ll do better this time. I’m sure your super excited to give your hard earned dollars to me — because you know— we are alums! 

^

slu marketing  

The Billiken baseball field is one of only 2 parks in the conference without an enclosed pressbox. That automatically excludes the ability to stream video or audio of baseball games and makes the Billiken Sports complex in the bottom 1/3 of facilities in the league. Can’t wait for BillikenRoy to ask why Darin Hendrickson leaves SLU after this year for a program that gets more institutional support. The program that’s on the greatest upswing in the department should be prioritized to AT LEAST keep pace with HIGH SCHOOL baseball fields.

10 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I have heard a lot of positive things about Maryville and the development going on there to the point they likely wish they didn’t sell so much of their land for corporate development.

We should've hired their president.

JMM28 and SLU_Lax like this

Really all you can do is laugh. Everytime I walk up from garage to games in winter and see tires, sheds or field equipment spread out behind outfield it's not a good look. I guess AD doesn't walk down there much over last ten years. He is what he is, I keep expecting a donkey to run races like a race horse and it's just not there. SLU can do better and should. After sleeping on it, SLU won't move forward until you get a new President and that person hires right people to run athletics, and private and university money are pushed majorly to that program. The President can't handle protestors, faculty/staff raises or the med school. So, athletics is not a priority. It looks like some of the players mom's decorated softball and baseball with banners. Lipstick on a pig. That's about what we should expect and just wait and hope the right people are put in place. It just too much to expect a division one AD to be able to raise money like every other area high school and university that isn't D1. What was I thinking, can't do that at SLU. I know write a check, AD gets it, AD is great, I'm an idiot. Oh I get all of it I think. 

SLU_Lax likes this

3 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

Really all you can do is laugh. Everytime I walk up from garage to games in winter and see tires, sheds or field equipment spread out behind outfield it's not a good look. I guess AD doesn't walk down there much over last ten years. He is what he is, I keep expecting a donkey to run races like a race horse and it's just not there. SLU can do better and should. After sleeping on it, SLU won't move forward until you get a new President and that person hires right people to run athletics, and private and university money are pushed majorly to that program. The President can't handle protestors, faculty/staff raises or the med school. So, athletics is not a priority. It looks like some of the players mom's decorated softball and baseball with banners. Lipstick on a pig. That's about what we should expect and just wait and hope the right people are put in place. It just too much to expect a division one AD to be able to raise money like every other area high school and university that isn't D1. What was I thinking, can't do that at SLU. I know write a check, AD gets it, AD is great, I'm an idiot. Oh I get all of it I think. 

SLU endowment is still over $1 billion correct?  i.e. slu has no problems raising money.     we could afford the SEC like Baseball program dream.   somehow the program has to prove they are worthy of a much bigger investment over the current priorities or imo in addition to the current priorities.   

I believe that means more than winning the A-10 with a 119 RPI.   Is the program today under Darren better than previous?  absolutely.   but apparentely our BoT doesnt see the cost benefit yet at this point.   I am sure you dreamers will argue you need that investment to get to the college world series.   unfortunately i would bet we never win that chicken or the egg argument.   

back in romar's days, lorenzo constantly would tell me SLU is what it is and he as the coach just has to do better with the cards dealt to him.  all the whining and complaining and begging for improvements likely isnt going to help.    i would tell Darren, great job.   now do even better.  

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

SLU endowment is still over $1 billion correct?  i.e. slu has no problems raising money.     we could afford the SEC like Baseball program dream.   somehow the program has to prove they are worthy of a much bigger investment over the current priorities or imo in addition to the current priorities.   

I believe that means more than winning the A-10 with a 119 RPI.   Is the program today under Darren better than previous?  absolutely.   but apparentely our BoT doesnt see the cost benefit yet at this point.   I am sure you dreamers will argue you need that investment to get to the college world series.   unfortunately i would bet we never win that chicken or the egg argument.   

back in romar's days, lorenzo constantly would tell me SLU is what it is and he as the coach just has to do better with the cards dealt to him.  all the whining and complaining and begging for improvements likely isnt going to help.    i would tell Darren, great job.   now do even better.  

1. You keep making up this SEC dream stadium. There

2. Funny the coach who told you he had to do better with what he had, left for a school with a bigger commitment to basketball. 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

1. You keep making up this SEC dream stadium. There

2. Funny the coach who told you he had to do better with what he had, left for a school with a bigger commitment to basketball. 

you spent 6 pages detailing all the nices you want for the program and all the investments we are not providing our baseball team.   imo it sounds like you think slu baseball should get the red carpet rolled out i.e. an sec like program.   

romar left to go home to his alma mater and would still be there if he had not been fired.   

you really arent good at this.   

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but apparentely our BoT doesnt see the cost benefit yet at this point. 

SLU hasnever, in the 20 years I’ve been around, had a real vision or plan for athletics. I’d love to say ChaifetzArena-Majerus was some grand plan, but it was more of a happenstance. If you have no plan, you will never get anywhere. Lack of a plan comes from lack of any vision. They try these few and far between silver bullet approaches and fuok  up the end game. 

I wish better for them, but the more time goes by I drift further away from caring about SLU as a school and athletic department and just focusing on SLU basketball. 

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you spent 6 pages detailing all the nices you want for the program and all the investments we are not providing our baseball team.   imo it sounds like you think slu baseball should get the red carpet rolled out i.e. an sec like program.   

romar left to go home to his alma mater and would still be there if he had not been fired.   

you really arent good at this.   

Everything I’ve detailed that I’d like for a baseball stadium.

a single permanent concession stand

500 seats

a press box 

all of these can can be found at UD Baseballs stadium

http://daytonflyers.com/sports/2013/8/8/BB_0808130506.aspx?path=baseball

I’m fine at this, you’re just a stubborn ass.