Baseball

RiseAndGrind

Chaminade just built a new baseball stadium, and it wouldn't take much more than this for a big upgrade at SLU.

Dayton (above) is a good example.

It doesn't need to be SEC-level. Just a "stadium" instead of a glorified public park field. I don't think anyone's asking for more at this point.

An upgrade to the facility along with committing more to Hendrickson's salary doesn't seem like a huge commitment. Seems very reasonable to me. This is a program that's shown so much progress and promise, and committing to it wouldn't involve a major capital campaign. Why not do it?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the question shouldnt be "why not do it?"   the question should be how do we get the BoT to make athletics or at least baseball more of a priority?  otherwise this debate is futile.   

i'd love to give 05 his dream but 05 hasnt convinced this board of mbm's let alone the community leaders of the BoT.   gotta start there.  otherwise forget it.  it just isnt going to happen.  

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you spent 6 pages detailing all the nices you want for the program and all the investments we are not providing our baseball team.   imo it sounds like you think slu baseball should get the red carpet rolled out i.e. an sec like program.   

romar left to go home to his alma mater and would still be there if he had not been fired.   

you really arent good at this.   

If Romar didn't leave to go to his alma mater he was leaving to go somewhere else. 

Hendrickson probably will do  better we just don't want it to be somewhere else

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

1. You keep making up this SEC dream stadium. There

2. Funny the coach who told you he had to do better with what he had, left for a school with a bigger commitment to basketball. 

Roy's point is still correct.  The school has the money to build a great baseball and soccer facility.  The people running the school choose not to direct currently available funds or fundraising efforts towards athletic facilities beyond Chaifetz.  Get rid of May and that still isn't going to change.  The guy running the BoT posted a decade ago that he agreed with Biondi when it came to funding athletics because of the economic stresses it placed on the university.

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the question shouldnt be "why not do it?"   the question should be how do we get the BoT to make athletics or at least baseball more of a priority?  otherwise this debate is futile.   

i'd love to give 05 his dream but 05 hasnt convinced this board of mbm's let alone the community leaders of the BoT.   gotta start there.  otherwise forget it.  it just isnt going to happen.  

More condescending bullsh!t from you Roy. First of all I think most everyone here agrees that what I proposed isn’t a “dream”. 

Are the BoT actively going to stop Chris May from planning and initiating a fundraising campaign aimed at renovating the Billikens Sports Center? I doubt it. 

My question is how much would one like Chaminade or that 05 wants cost?  Does SLU have a plan for it?  Because that is the main point, if the athletic department hasn't put together a plan for improvement then it doesn't matter what the BoT thinks, it won't happen.  Why can't the way we show the BoT that we want an improved baseball field be when the athletic department sends out an email showing what they plan to do and how much it would cost and we can donate money to it?  Is there a better way to show the higher ups at SLU this is what fans/alumni want then putting money towards it?  I don't want to just send money though without knowing there is a plan.  

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

My question is how much would one like Chaminade or that 05 wants cost?  Does SLU have a plan for it?  Because that is the main point, if the athletic department hasn't put together a plan for improvement then it doesn't matter what the BoT thinks, it won't happen.  Why can't the way we show the BoT that we want an improved baseball field be when the athletic department sends out an email showing what they plan to do and how much it would cost and we can donate money to it?  Is there a better way to show the higher ups at SLU this is what fans/alumni want then putting money towards it?  I don't want to just send money though without knowing there is a plan.  

I'm pretty sure somewhere in this thread someone has mentioned figures between $3 and 7 mil for Illinois State/SIUE/ or another similar school.

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Are the BoT actively going to stop Chris May from planning and initiating a fundraising campaign aimed at renovating the Billikens Sports Center? I doubt it. 

I hate to tell you whether it is Chris may or the head of liberal arts or the med school chair, no one is initiating a fund raising project without the blessing of the BoT.  Your total hatred for all things Chris may blinds you to reality.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I hate to tell you whether it is Chris may or the head of liberal arts or the med school chair, no one is initiating a fund raising project without the blessing of the BoT.  Your total hatred for all things Chris may blinds you to reality.

Fine, if Janet Oberle/Matt Hayden/Brian Kunderman came up with a feasible plan. I don't hate Chris May. I don't see eye to eye with him on most things doesn't mean I dislike the guy on a personal level. People forget that's possible these days.

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I guess now we are getting into who is to blame for the lack of athletic facilities beyond Chaifetz Arena (which was really well done), but I think those of us saying the facilities should be better or that the programs (specifically soccer and baseball in my opinion) need to find some way to generate interest and connect with the community don't overly care who is to blame. I would just like to see it change. And what we are talking about is just making our facilities competitive with the lower level college facilities in the area and even high school facilities in the area. I don't think that is a crazy expectation to have. SLU loves to point to the endowment, yet it can't fund athletic scholarships? It's like having a massive cock and being so unattractive and repulsive that no female would ever bang you, congrats on the cock, but at least I am getting laid.

billiken_roy and Billy Ken like this

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I guess now we are getting into who is to blame for the lack of athletic facilities beyond Chaifetz Arena (which was really well done), but I think those of us saying the facilities should be better or that the programs (specifically soccer and baseball in my opinion) need to find some way to generate interest and connect with the community don't overly care who is to blame. I would just like to see it change. And what we are talking about is just making our facilities competitive with the lower level college facilities in the area and even high school facilities in the area. I don't think that is a crazy expectation to have. SLU loves to point to the endowment, yet it can't fund athletic scholarships? It's like having a massive c@ck and being so unattractive and repulsive that no female would ever bang you, congrats on the cock, but at least I am getting laid.

Great post, I agree with most but what I don't quite understand is why it's on us specifically to do this? Yes it's a great idea to try to spread the gospel of Billiken baseball but there is a group of people that get paid by the athletic department to figure that out.

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Great post, I agree with most but what I don't quite understand is why it's on us specifically to do this? Yes it's a great idea to try to spread the gospel of Billiken baseball but there is a group of people that get paid by the athletic department to figure that out.

its on us to convince our BoT that it is a priority.   otherwise they likely frown on any cross solicitation of favored alumni/boosters.   until you make the BoT see the need and the benefit, nothing will change.   

We have plenty of alums - and baseball alums - posting here, all wanting the same thing. Why not start making some noise?

If we've already decided that this is futile because the powers that be aren't going to do it on their own, then let them hear about it.

This is a very reasonable expectation. Like @TheChosenOne says, we'd be catching up with smaller local colleges and even high schools by building a half-decent baseball stadium. This isn't another new arena or new dorms we're talking about here.

I'd rather be productive than defeatist. How about some phone calls, emails, and Tweets?

Forget about baseball stadium just for one second and soccer and softball facilities...the whole arguement is area high schools are better than a D1 program! They all matter, it's the whole package. I love how people think an organization especially people at SLU think you can't do more than one thing at a time! In real world, companies and other schools can actually multi-task. I know crazy! Not at SLU. The chairman of the board is Judge Smails from Caddyshack, but real! He's literally said SLU will never be like Creighton or Xavier, he's a moron and has ZERO business being on a board of trustees at any university, muchless the chair. SLU is in such financial turmoil and has been keeping a lid on it, it's not even funny and if anyone tells you otherwise they either are lying or honestly don't know. The med school is a trainwreck and they don't want that getting out because that will sink the whole ship. It's so sad. Pestello isn't able enough to run a catholic grade school. Add all that together and it's the compounding of stupidity at its finest. 

Back to facilities, Roy, who says anything about SEC??? How about MCC level, and to expect more from baseball coach???? Are you serious and do you know where the program was before he took over? He raises all his own money too I heard as well! He goes, that whole program goes. Expect more out of leadership first. And the AD...why is he still at SLU? Because he loves it? Loves St. Louis? Loves the Arch? The record breaking success has had over last ten years? All this winning we are doing? Or because he's got no where else to go and is stuck? But, with morons as bosses and no expectations or being held accountable, he's luckiest guy on earth. Has them snowed. I wouldn't hire him to dry cars off at waterway. 

I'm a former student athlete and former university employee as well. The athletic department is so dysfunctional and the leadership is very bad. I have countless examples and stories of awful things that the AD so-called “leaders” have done to coaches, student athletes, and even recruits. Billy Ken is not wrong. Medical school is in a very bad place, that is accurate.  I keep thinking that the BoT will see through all of this and start making better decisions about who stays and who goes from the University’s leadership team...but I’m beginning to think they are unwilling to do anything to fix the problem. 

Edited by JMT050700
Just want to change something
Spoon-Balls and SLU_Lax like this

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I guess now we are getting into who is to blame for the lack of athletic facilities beyond Chaifetz Arena (which was really well done), but I think those of us saying the facilities should be better or that the programs (specifically soccer and baseball in my opinion) need to find some way to generate interest and connect with the community don't overly care who is to blame. I would just like to see it change. And what we are talking about is just making our facilities competitive with the lower level college facilities in the area and even high school facilities in the area. I don't think that is a crazy expectation to have. SLU loves to point to the endowment, yet it can't fund athletic scholarships? It's like having a massive cock and being so unattractive and repulsive that no female would ever bang you, congrats on the cock, but at least I am getting laid.

Great post. What's Wash U's endowment? Too big to mention, make SLU look like Little Flower Catholic Grade School. But you are right, they throw that number out real quick don't they. It's just the same old, same old. I just want a change too. Everything is stale, and that's my frustration. Plus leadership is bad, look at the place. Honestly, is it better than it was before Father left? I know all education is struggling especially private. But, it's not breaking news and other catholic private schools are doing much better. It's sad. Love the place but it needs a heart and brain transplant top to bottom. Again, very good post.

1 hour ago, JMT050700 said:

I'm a former student athlete and former university employee as well. The athletic department is so dysfunctional and the leadership is very bad. I have countless examples and stories of awful things that the AD so-called “leaders” have done to coaches, student athletes, and even recruits. Billy Ken is not wrong. Medical school is in a very bad place, that is accurate.  I keep thinking that the BoT will see through all of this and start making better decisions about who stays and who goes from the University’s leadership team...but I’m beginning to think they are unwilling to do anything to fix the problem. 

Be careful. Posters here will tell you that you’re just saying all of this because you have sour grapes and have a vendetta against the powers that be 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Be careful. Posters here will tell you that you’re just saying all of this because you have sour grapes and have a vendetta against the powers that be 

Thanks for the heads up. This really isn’t sour grapes, but I guess I can’t control what people think. I chose to leave SLU because the environment was horrible and getting worse by the minute. I have a lot of friends still there who haven’t been so lucky as to find a job outside of SLU and they’re just stuck watching things get worse and worse. I want to see change because SLU is better than what it has become. I want positive change for my friends who are still there, and I want change because I would love to go back under the right circumstances. More than anything, I want to be proud of my alma mater. Right now, that’s pretty tough. 

The biggest problem with powers that be at SLU is that they live in an alternate reality, a bubble if you will. They think it's 1990 before AL Gore supposedly invented the Internet. Very out of touch and frozen in time. Maybe certain posters have a sister or a brother or whatever who is a doctor, nurse, researcher, admin, whatever at SLU and they know "stuff" and if anyone says med school is fine, just ask how the dean is doing? Ask about the type of students they are admitting that has them saying enrollment is great! The next Dr. Nick, from the Simpsons will one day graduate from SLU. So probably something like new facilities IS too much to ask from the leadership. I'll leave it at that. As far as the previous poster talking about AD culture, no shock there...and in other breaking news water is wet. 

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

More condescending bullsh!t from you Roy. First of all I think most everyone here agrees that what I proposed isn’t a “dream”. 

You obviously are unaware of the recent history at SLU.  When Chaifetz was under construction a group of alumni raised the funds to commission and install an Easy Ed statue for outside the Arena, Biondi told them no thank you.  Said the school would gladly take the money to apply to the arena construction cost or for the school in general.

The President and the BoT determine what SLU will fundraise for.  The people below them or from the outside don’t  to get to freelance.

MB73 and billiken_roy like this

6 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

The biggest problem with powers that be at SLU is that they live in an alternate reality, a bubble if you will. They think it's 1990 before AL Gore supposedly invented the Internet. Very out of touch and frozen in time. Maybe certain posters have a sister or a brother or whatever who is a doctor, nurse, researcher, admin, whatever at SLU and they know "stuff" and if anyone says med school is fine, just ask how the dean is doing? Ask about the type of students they are admitting that has them saying enrollment is great! The next Dr. Nick, from the Simpsons will one day graduate from SLU. So probably something like new facilities IS too much to ask from the leadership. I'll leave it at that. As far as the previous poster talking about AD culture, no shock there...and in other breaking news water is wet. 

What dean??  I heard he got pushed out weeks ago!  Have they been able to find a replacement already?

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You obviously are unaware of the recent history at SLU.  When Chaifetz was under cronstruction a group of alumni raised the funds to commission and install an Easy Ed statue for outside the Arena, Biondi told them no thank you.  Said the school would gladly take the money to apply to the arena construction cost or for the school in general.

The President and the BoT determine what SLU will fundraise for.  The people below them or from the outside don’t  to get to freelance.

100%. You nailed it. I'm old and know it, have no idea what kids would want today. Why have a sixty something sociology professor run a school like SLU? Also, look at his history at LeMoyne! He was getting run out of there. And you think he knows basic business skills??? Ok. And Judge Smails, another guy with vision for 2018. He eats dinner at 4 pm everyday probably. Ok. That's why AD is sad and truthfully just a stuffed suit. Great post. 

58 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You obviously are unaware of the recent history at SLU.  When Chaifetz was under construction a group of alumni raised the funds to commission and install an Easy Ed statue for outside the Arena, Biondi told them no thank you.  Said the school would gladly take the money to apply to the arena construction cost or for the school in general.

Fair enough. Also MB lives!!!!

Baseball won tonight. One more win and coach is all time wins leader at SLU. Took him only 11 years, took over bad program,  guy he is passing, I think coached almost 20 years? 7 years it says of 35 wins or more. That's impressive. But, he better win more according to Roy. That's funniest thing in entire thread. Hope he wins and gets that record!  Maybe he will get Roy off his back too! 

DirtyRican likes this