MAC College Basketballs Tip Off Luncheon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They can’t discuss the investigation. That’s literally the only question they’d get 

Understood to the first sentence, but disagree on the second. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to do the same generic interviews as the other three coaches building up some interest for the upcoming season while having a canned answer concerning not being able to comment on an ongoing investigation or telling the reporter on the front end that they are not discussing it. It is odd for me to see a relatively big program not even address a situation like this even if it is a generic it is an ongoing investigation that we cannot comment on, but maybe there is an overall lack of media who really cover SLU basketball? Locking doors and declining to do interviews just seems a little odd on the surface to me.

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Understood to the first sentence, but disagree on the second. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to do the same generic interviews as the other three coaches building up some interest for the upcoming season while having a canned answer concerning not being able to comment on an ongoing investigation or telling the reporter on the front end that they are not discussing it. It is odd for me to see a relatively big program not even address a situation like this even if it is a generic it is an ongoing situation we cannot discuss, but maybe there is an overall lack of media who really cover SLU basketball?

I dont recall that the basketball program has even acknowledged publically anything thus far.   Yes the university has said there is an issue with athletes at this point, and yes the attorney's for the players have made very vague statements, but nothing officially from the AD or the basketball program and i assume by continuing to refuse questions that status remains the same.   

35 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Apparently Ford and May refused to do interviews despite being at this event, kind of an odd decision in my opinion.

Ford has a microphone in his hand in the photo. I assume he is answering a question and not singing karaoke. 

Ford talked about Hines, Roby and Anthony. Talked about their senior leadership. Spoke about completely changing the style of play after the 30 pt loss to URI last year. Spoke about how great of a sports town STL is. Talked about how we were 3rd in attendance in the league the last 3 years even when we were bad

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford has a microphone in his hand in the photo. I assume he is answering a question and not singing karaoke. 

Ok, he must have spoke at whatever this event was, but Ford and May would not do interviews with the media before or after according to Martin K. and Charlie Marlow who questioned that decision.

31 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Understood to the first sentence, but disagree on the second. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to do the same generic interviews as the other three coaches building up some interest for the upcoming season while having a canned answer concerning not being able to comment on an ongoing investigation or telling the reporter on the front end that they are not discussing it. It is odd for me to see a relatively big program not even address a situation like this even if it is a generic it is an ongoing investigation that we cannot comment on, but maybe there is an overall lack of media who really cover SLU basketball? Locking doors and declining to do interviews just seems a little odd on the surface to me.

If he agrees to answer questions, the first one he would get would be about the accusations.  Ford would respond that he can't talk about it.  He would then get three or four other token questions about the season. The only question that would get used on video and in print would be the one about the accusations showing that he refused to talk.  That would become the story.  Best just to avoid giving the press that sound bite.  I think he did the right thing.

It just seems odd to me that a relatively big college basketball program is not addressing a significant situation like this at all even if it is a blanket statement, but maybe that is more of a timing thing where they can control media not being around to ask. Maybe the thought is that this will get resolved fairly quickly, so they feel like they can hold off on addressing it if they even have to. I guess it just surprises me that a big program can essentially go without having to address a situation like this, but again maybe it is just the timing. Like I am sure all programs would prefer handling things like this internally and not having to address the media, but aren't often given that luxury.

I think that this is still at the very beginning stages.  If it gets resolved quickly and within Title IX guidelines and the players involved are not charged and found to not be the subject of discipline, then there would never need to be a reason to divulge their names.  I'm assuming that this is the reason that Ford, the Athletic Dept., and the University are acting the way they are.  They want to, if possible, have a situation where the names don't have to come out.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think that this is still at the very beginning stages.  If it gets resolved quickly and within Title IX guidelines and the players involved are not charged and found to not be the subject of discipline, then there would never need to be a reason to divulge their names.  I'm assuming that this is the reason that Ford, the Athletic Dept., and the University are acting the way they are.  They want to, if possible, have a situation where the names don't have to come out.

That second sentence is what I am reading into this decision to not communicate at all with the media.

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That second sentence is what I am reading into this decision to not communicate at all with the media.

With the players being repped by two high priced lawyers, and the shadows of Title 9 and a criminal investigation hanging over him, I think Ford would rather take the short term bad publicity than open himself or the university up to something more damaging ( names released, tainting the investigation, or being sued by the players) 

Ok, TFord was there. I respect his decision to honor a prior commitment to the MAC and not canceling due to the media blackout. As for the other requests for interviews, you should expect him and CM to not do individual interviews so they weren’t blindsided by a media member (cause the coaches reaction to the ongoing investigation would of been broadcasted over and over again on TV.)

The question no one has brought up is where was Cuonzo? I thought this was home according to Watson’s commitment post and the post about the Bragging Rights game. 

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

With the players being repped by two high priced lawyers, and the shadows of Title 9 and a criminal investigation hanging over him, I think Ford would rather take the short term bad publicity than open himself or the university up to something more damaging ( names released, tainting the investigation, or being sued by the players) 

You can never go wrong with having the appearance that you are willing to take the hit to protect your players.  That sells on the recruiting trail.

8 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Ok, TFord was there. I respect his decision to honor a prior commitment to the MAC and not canceling due to the media blackout. As for the other requests for interviews, you should expect him and CM to not do individual interviews so they weren’t blindsided by a media member (cause the coaches reaction to the ongoing investigation would of been broadcasted over and over again on TV.)

The question no one has brought up is where was Cuonzo? I thought this was home according to Watson’s commitment post and the post about the Bragging Rights game. 

Cuonzo is doing a camp with Ford, Harris, and others in St. Louis later this week

6 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Cuonzo is doing a camp with Ford, Harris, and others in St. Louis later this week

Do you have some sort of auto-alert set up that notifies you when someone on this message board mentions Mizzou or Cuonzo? It typically only take a few minutes for you to respond.

Littlebill likes this

16 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Good question.  I will go out on a limb here, he was either talking to the FBI, or, with Underwood, Hinson, Harris and Ford all at a known location, he was trying to flip a verbal commit.