Chris May

Cheddar Bear

4 hours ago, Billiken Bob said:

Thank you very much Brian.  It is nice to be appreciated. 

I am a former Billiken with two degrees from SLU and quite proud of it.  I went through undergrad school on a partial baseball scholarship.  There was only 1 full scholarship per year and therefore money was divided up among several players. We were very good (College World Series years), and we had a great time.  Some of the most fun years of my life. I look at the time that I spent helping the Billiken Booster CLub  in later years (Tip Off Club and then the Billiken Club) in the past and the money I have donated over the years merely as me giving back to the school that was partially responsible for my later success.  I do have to include SLUH as well as The Mayo Clinic to that list and I treat them the same way.  I am proud to still be part of " THE BILLIKEN TEAM". 

So, instead of name calling why don't we all ask what we can do to either give back to our university or what we can do to help the teams that we follow.

Have you seen the movie Everybody Wants Some? wonder how realistic

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Billiken Bob said:

That is totally untrue.  If you want to blame someone you can blame Fr. Biondi for not backing the players during the last incident.  Why would Chris May hang the arguably two best players out to dry and cost us a possible NCAA bid, and of course, the money that goes with it.  Nice first post.  It's obvious that there is one or maybe a few more people that have just signed up to this site for the sole purpose of bad mouthing Chris May. 
FYI, I go back as far as Larry Albus being our athletic director (when I was a baseball player on the team that finished 3rd in the College World Series).  I have lived through Ron Ekker as AD, as well as Larry Preo, who was a good guy but couldn't handle the administration (Charles Schroeder), Jim Bakken, Joe Yates (now there was a real scandal), Debbie Yow who had a vendetta to fire Rich Grawer whom she said couldn't recruit (please look at the leading scorers in the history of Billiken basketball) Doug Woolard, Cheryl Levick, and now Chris May.  Chris has raised more money for the department and been responsible for doing more to help the individual teams and their coaches succeed than any one of the former AD's.

I think it is time for the moderators to step in and do something about these trolls and their slanderous comments.

I am a longtime fan who grew up going to Grawer's and Spoon's basketball camps. I have lurked here for a decade and finally signed up when it was required for access. 

Overall I like Chris and recognize all the good he has done. In this particular instance I was disappointed that the players were denied the same representation that the accusers got and thought it was unfair. Of course I recognize Biondi and others role in creating that situation. I was just always disappointed that the Athletic Dept didn't know or otherwise couldn't ensure the rules of the j-board were fairly applied. After all it may have cost them NCAA money, donations, sales, and other benefits. 

Either way, I apologize if my short comment had an overly negative tone as I didn't intend that. I also believe the distasteful acts of Situation 1.0 put everyone in a compromising situation and ultimately led to people and the Athletic Dept as a whole being compromised.  I am hopeful the players getting legal representation (indicating they are trying to have more control of the process) this time will help ensure a fair and proper resolution.

I have enjoyed reading your posts. 

Edited by SLU_Lax
jimbofive likes this

29 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I am a longtime fan who grew up going to Grawer's and Spoon's basketball camps. I have lurked here for a decade and finally signed up when it was required for access. 

Overall I like Chris and recognize all the good he has done. In this particular instance I was disappointed that the players were denied the same representation that the accusers got and thought it was unfair. Of course I recognize Biondi and others role in creating that situation. I was just always disappointed that the Athletic Dept didn't know or otherwise couldn't ensure the rules of the j-board were fairly applied. After all it may have cost them NCAA money, donations, sales, and other benefits. 

Either way, I apologize if my short comment had an overly negative tone as I didn't intend that. I also believe the distasteful acts of Situation 1.0 put everyone in a compromising situation and ultimately led to people and the Athletic Dept as a whole being compromised.  I am hopeful the players getting legal representation (indicating they are trying to have more control of the process) this time will help ensure a fair and proper resolution.

I have enjoyed reading your posts. 

Thanks SLU Lax.  I think we are all upset and some of us short tempered because of the latest  incident.  Me included.  If you think about it, the Willie/Kwamain situation probably cost us an NCAA birth and the money that goes with it.  It also makes it easier for CHRIS May to go to prospective donors to raise money.  There was no logical reason for  CHRIS to intentionally not defend those players.  Remember that situation--the female acuser's parents were supposedly connected with Cook, as in The Cook Business School.  With Fr. Biondi, money talked and CHRIS was going to lose that battle.

As far as the current situation I know that the current Chairman of our Board,and CHRIS are on each other's speed dial and I am sure they have been working on this problem together.  It appears that our players have very good representation  and now let's hope the facts prove them to be innocent and maybe this thing can go away.

RUBillsFan and Pistol like this

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Good stuff, @Billiken Bob. Don't let the trolls or negative posters scare you away. Just put them on your Ignore List, and roll right on past them.

-this is one way to handle it, the other is for those with the ability to get rid of the trolls and their posts, we've lost too many good posters because of crap

15 hours ago, Billiken Bob said:

Thanks BRIAN for the verification on what you CAN spend on a locker room.  Since I posted earlier I have been told by another donor that we are going to end up spending over the 1.3 Million. So any of you that want to get involved just call CHRIS May at his office. The number is 977-3167.

Wow. I mean I believe it since Oklahoma St apparently spent 4 million in TBoone cash for theirs. It just seems crazy to me that a couple rooms in an existing facility can cost more than a really nice house fully furnished in the STL area. I'm glad that SLU is keeping up or keeping pace with the Joneses. 

That basically is what it comes down to JMM.  If we are recruiting against the likes of Penn St and Wichita for players like Rhoden you can bet that he will be comparing facilities.  And don't forget the place down in Columbia Mo for all of the local recruits.  We have to be competitive. It is the cost of doing business.  Granted 4 million is a bit much, but we don't have a T Boone

6 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

That basically is what it comes down to JMM.  If we are recruiting against the likes of Penn St and Wichita for players like Rhoden you can bet that he will be comparing facilities.  And don't forget the place down in Columbia Mo for all of the local recruits.  We have to be competitive. It is the cost of doing business.  Granted 4 million is a bit much, but we don't have a T Boone

Not yet, at least. 

25 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

Someone needs to convince Rex that basketball is just chess with a ball and hoops.

On 9/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, Billiken Bob said:

Cheryl seemed like a very nice person, but she was not the major force responsible for raising the money for the Arena.  That was Fr, Biondi and the Development office.  If she was responsible for the arena fundraising then why was she fired.  Do you know that the University still has not raised the money to completely pay off the arena.  I know the reason she was fired but it was told to me in confidentiality by Fr. Biondi therefore I cannot repeat it here.  I am not trying to play Mr. Big shot, but just trying to get the facts out there.

As I recall, Cheryl Levick was not fired, but she resigned because she wanted to continue with Soderberg but Biondi fired him over her recommendations and then hired Majerus without involving her.

On September 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Billiken Bob said:

Examples that I have been solicited by Chris May and contributed to:

1.  CHarter flights on a yearly basis for the basketball team since Majerus took over (yes, he raises the money for that, not the University)

2.  The Baseball team Outdoor, enclosed batting cage

3.  The artificial turf for the baseball field's infield

4.  The new locker rooms that were requested by the two current basketball coaches and will be opened to the donors next Tuesday.

I am quite sure that there are numerous examples, and I by no means am the only person aware of these projects and how the money was raised.

My understanding from sources is that 2 came from a person whose son was in the program and 3 was from a local HS Travel Program who uses it during the summer. Needless to say yes he gets money for Charter flights for BOTH Basketball teams. 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is ridiculous. There are people who have legitimate gripes with Chris May. Why do you wanna silence that? 

Sometimes boosters get too close with an AD or head coach. I’ve personally done it before. It clouds your judgement of their job performance. They become more friend and less guy who is getting your favorite team where it needs to go. Things get excused because “he’s a great guy” and similar expressions. It happens at every program. Eventually the guy moves on and there’s a new guy. It is what it is. 

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Sometimes boosters get too close with an AD or head coach. I’ve personally done it before. It clouds your judgement of their job performance. They become more friend and less guy who is getting your favorite team where it needs to go. Things get excused because “he’s a great guy” and similar expressions. It happens at every program. Eventually the guy moves on and there’s a new guy. It is what it is. 

Yeah I bet they think strippers like them too. Thank god we didn’t end up with Joe Dooley

2 hours ago, TheGrandLife said:

My understanding from sources is that 2 came from a person whose son was in the program and 3 was from a local HS Travel Program who uses it during the summer. Needless to say yes he gets money for Charter flights for BOTH Basketball teams. 

Wonder what my checks were used for, given this!  

20 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

Fair question to ask..Just going off what I've been told/know. 

Well your information could be correct. The people you say could have funded a majority of the project, but other boosters contributed as well. No different than Chaifetz Arena was funded by a large donation from Chaifetz but not completely funded by him. 

On 9/29/2017 at 11:52 AM, Billiken Bob said:

But we have a Chaifetz who was instrumental in the hires of Majerus and Ford, and will do anything he can to get our team to a Final Four AND attends nearly 50% of home games - even while living out of state.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Well your information could be correct. The people you say could have funded a majority of the project, but other boosters contributed as well. No different than Chaifetz Arena was funded by a large donation from Chaifetz but not completely funded by him. 

Don't disagree with you. But across the board, facilities are down aside from Chaifetz which houses 3 sports. It is inexcusable V-Ball has fallen off the wayside. Stone has done a tremendous job building that program. On the flip side, soccer needs improvements as does baseball and softball. You can argue all day that they don't generate revenue but it is better branding for the University. Vanderbilt for example wasn't relevant until 2004. 

AD needs to fight for facility upgrades, that is the world we live in, he has not done well in that department looking at it from a non bias perspective.