Chris May

Cheddar Bear

7 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

Your right billikenfan05 I am ranting and raving but I wouldn't call it childish.  Perhaps I am too passionate a Billiken fan.  Let's just say for all intense purposes I am angry.  Status quo is what makes me angry.  Seeing women possibly sexually assaulted makes me angry, writing thank you cards to teams that defeat you makes me angry, terrible marketing and total incompetence makes me angry, holding onto an AD that has been trying to leave but can't seem to find anyone interested in him...but he remains at SLU makes me angry...May didn't do his homework and once everything comes out I think people will be floored and it will all be on Chris May.  Chris May is a con artist.  He has fooled a lot of unsuspecting fans on this board...who knows how far this really goes...I am confident the truth will come out and eventually Chris May will be exposed for the person he really is.

Now, I am new to this board as a poster, but I am not a new follower.  BillikenRoy  jumps on the "Troll" bandwagon?  I remember a time your posts were very negative about May...what do you do?...go with the flow without a thought process of your own?  Be true to this board and pick a side BillikenRoy ...either you like this guy or not.  

You keep talking about him not doing his homework. And everyone will be floored? Do you know something about Ford that we don't?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

I am new to this board as a poster, but I am not a new follower.  BillikenRoy  jumps on the "Troll" bandwagon?  I remember a time your posts were very negative about May...what do you do?...go with the flow without a thought process of your own?  Be true to this board and pick a side BillikenRoy ...either you like this guy or not.  

well that's a lie.  with the exception of my dislike for crews and an initial uneasiness for the hiring of ford, (which i am more than on board with now) chris may and I have pretty much agreed on everything.   he has treated me with nothing but respect and has always shown at least a willingness to listen to me and and seemed to consider thoughts and concerns i presented.   as i stated before, imo i say chris may is the best athletic director we have had in my billiken fandom (which goes back to 1978).   what i think you continue to miss is the bigger picture of all things that affect our athletic department, the biggest being funding, which chris may has limited control over.   unfortunately slu is not a huge public university that can feed at the trough of a state government.   slu is self supported and there is a lot more that gets to bite out of the apple than the athletic department which sometimes results in difficult compromised decisions and outcomes.  

i am sorry you didnt get to keep your job at slu.   hopefully things will get better in your career going forward and your life will get better.   blaming others for your own apparent missed responsibilities and outcomes will not result in very good outcomes for yourself going forward.   good luck.  

4 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

You keep talking about him not doing his homework. And everyone will be floored? Do you know something about Ford that we don't?

No kidding. Ford has never had a brush with the NCAA. Marcus Smart shoved a fan and it seems has had no other problems since. I am probably the most critical person of the athletic department staff but I don't see how May could have prevented this ALLEGED assault.

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

He did not hire baseball coach and jury is out on WBB I feel as well. People forget how bad that program was when Lisa Stone was hired. If that team doesn't make NCAA this year, fair to start wondering if she is a bust. Has had plenty of time.

Seriously, the jury still out on Lisa Stone? If she settles in as a mid to higher level A10 team she'll be the best coach they've ever had. Hell, she's already that. Lisa Stone is an A hire even if the teams current level drops a little

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Seriously, the jury still out on Lisa Stone? If she settles in as a mid to higher level A10 team she'll be the best coach they've ever had. Hell, she's already that. Lisa Stone is an A hire even if the teams current level drops a little

What? Soft schedules and no NCAA appearances. Compared to what was before her she is Lenny Wilkins sure. But if they don't make NCAA this year, she is a bust hire. That's problem, expectations are so low and we settle for "better." Let's just say we agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

What? Soft schedules and no NCAA appearances. Compared to what was before her she is Lenny Wilkins sure. But if they don't make NCAA this year, she is a bust hire. That's problem, expectations are so low and we settle for "better." Let's just say we agree to disagree.

I think they called Gino when Shimmy left but he already had a job. This program was in complete shambles under Jill and Shimmy didn't improve it. I don't seriously understand how you could call a coach who took us from where we were to where we are now a bust.  My expectations aren't a problem the problem is the NCAA or bust expectations. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I don't think it's fair to say she's a bust hire. I loved Shimmy as a person but SHE was a bust hire. Lisa Stone has at least raised the profile of the program. I think she is deserving of at least 3 more years to get to the NCAA tournament. The womens basketball program has never been as consistently good as it has been under Stone. Has she failed to make the NCAA, yes. Has she failed to challenge her teams in the Non-Con, yes. But she has raised the talent level here and changed the kind of recruit we can expect.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't think it's fair to say she's a bust hire. I loved Shimmy as a person but SHE was a bust hire. Lisa Stone has at least raised the profile of the program. I think she is deserving of at least 3 more years to get to the NCAA tournament. The womens basketball program has never been as consistently good as it has been under Stone. Has she failed to make the NCAA, yes. Has she failed to challenge her teams in the Non-Con, yes. But she has raised the talent level here and changed the kind of recruit we can expect.

Even if she doesn't make the NCAA tourney, I can't imagine labeling her as a bust. It's insane

Just now, slufanskip said:

Even if she doesn't make the NCAA tourney, I can't imagine labeling her as a bust. It's insane

For the amount of money she gets paid I imagine and the amount of money spent on that program, expectations should be higher. Three years to make NCAA fine, my point is that if you think she is great based on what she replaced that's not a starting point imo. I jus think she has peaked and granted program is much better but I don't see her taking it any further than she has already. That's why I have a feeling it's a bust hire.

2 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

For the amount of money she gets paid I imagine and the amount of money spent on that program, expectations should be higher. Three years to make NCAA fine, my point is that if you think she is great based on what she replaced that's not a starting point imo. I jus think she has peaked and granted program is much better but I don't see her taking it any further than she has already. That's why I have a feeling it's a bust hire.

Seriously who else is going to come here? Majerus is the reason Stone came here. He suggested her to the AD. It's not as though this is a job people are clamoring to take. Getting Stone was an incredible fluke.

When a program has zero history of winning and then a coach comes in that puts them on the map, that coach can never be called a bust.  If, after several years, the school decides to go in another direction, because we don't improve on the initial success, I could understand that.  However, even in that scenario, Stone should never be viewed as a bust.

TheChosenOne likes this

53 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well that's a lie.  with the exception of my dislike for crews and an initial uneasiness for the hiring of ford, (which i am more than on board with now) chris may and I have pretty much agreed on everything.   he has treated me with nothing but respect and has always shown at least a willingness to listen to me and and seemed to consider thoughts and concerns i presented.   as i stated before, imo i say chris may is the best athletic director we have had in my billiken fandom (which goes back to 1978).   what i think you continue to miss is the bigger picture of all things that affect our athletic department, the biggest being funding, which chris may has limited control over.   unfortunately slu is not a huge public university that can feed at the trough of a state government.   slu is self supported and there is a lot more that gets to bite out of the apple than the athletic department which sometimes results in difficult compromised decisions and outcomes.  

i am sorry you didnt get to keep your job at slu.   hopefully things will get better in your career going forward and your life will get better.   blaming others for your own apparent missed responsibilities and outcomes will not result in very good outcomes for yourself going forward.   good luck.  

I have never worked for SLU but hey thanks for the compliment BillikenRoy...if I did work for SLU at least I was capable of moving on and actually have someone hire me unlike Chris May who has been turned down job after job...

7 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

What she replaced is absolutely a starting point. Where else would you start? 3 years seriously? We were terrible, your expectations are unrealistic. Should our goal be the NCAA tourney? Certainly, and if she doesn't make it in the next 3-4 years maybe a change would be needed. However, even then her coaching tenure at SLU would have to be labeled a successful one

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

What she replaced is absolutely a starting point. Where else would you start? 3 years seriously? We were terrible, your expectations are unrealistic. Should our goal be the NCAA tourney? Certainly, and if she doesn't make it in the next 3-4 years maybe a change would be needed. However, even then her coaching tenure at SLU would have to be labeled a successful one

ok

10 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

I have never worked for SLU but hey thanks for the compliment BillikenRoy...if I did work for SLU at least I was capable of moving on and actually have someone hire me unlike Chris May who has been turned down job after job...

You sure seem to have a personal insight (and ax to grind) for someone that has never worked for Chris May.   My apologies for my assumptive perspective.  

I will say that now makes your views even less credible.  

21 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

You sure seem to have a personal insight (and ax to grind) for someone that has never worked for Chris May.   My apologies for my assumptive perspective.  

I will say that now makes your views even less credible.  

Well lets just say Billiken Roy... I never got any free t-shirts from Chris May.  So you see its going to take his credibility that's going to win me over...not a free t-shirt.

22 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I think they called Gino when Shimmy left but he already had a job. This program was in complete shambles under Jill and Shimmy didn't improve it. I don't seriously understand how you could call a coach who took us from where we were to where we are now a bust.  My expectations aren't a problem the problem is the NCAA or bust expectations. 

Remeber, Majeus suggested Stone-   (which I see that someone mentioned above and I overlooked)

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/college-women-s-basketball-lisa-stone-building-up-saint-louis/article_46ec4a45-913f-5085-be9c-208e9c3aad45.html

"...

Saint Louis contacted her, thanks in part to a recommendation from SLU men’s coach, the late Rick Majerus, whom she’d known since his days at Marquette.

“If you’re in this profession and he liked you, I guess that was pretty good endorsement,” she said.  "

Chris May hung Kwamain and Willie out to dry in the last situation.  He was the person that was suppose to be looking out for the student athletes and failed to do so.

I would not assume he is behaving any differently this time.  I would assume Chris May is keeping his distance and not getting directly involved.

4 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Chris May hung Kwamain and Willie out to dry in the last situation.  He was the person that was suppose to be looking out for the student athletes and failed to do so.

I would not assume he is behaving any differently this time.  I would assume Chris May is keeping his distance and not getting directly involved.

That is totally untrue.  If you want to blame someone you can blame Fr. Biondi for not backing the players during the last incident.  Why would Chris May hang the arguably two best players out to dry and cost us a possible NCAA bid, and of course, the money that goes with it.  Nice first post.  It's obvious that there is one or maybe a few more people that have just signed up to this site for the sole purpose of bad mouthing Chris May. 
FYI, I go back as far as Larry Albus being our athletic director (when I was a baseball player on the team that finished 3rd in the College World Series).  I have lived through Ron Ekker as AD, as well as Larry Preo, who was a good guy but couldn't handle the administration (Charles Schroeder), Jim Bakken, Joe Yates (now there was a real scandal), Debbie Yow who had a vendetta to fire Rich Grawer whom she said couldn't recruit (please look at the leading scorers in the history of Billiken basketball) Doug Woolard, Cheryl Levick, and now Chris May.  Chris has raised more money for the department and been responsible for doing more to help the individual teams and their coaches succeed than any one of the former AD's.

I think it is time for the moderators to step in and do something about these trolls and their slanderous comments.

HoosierPal and billiken_roy like this