Med School Double Secret Probation

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It doesn't actually say that.  What it says is affiliates of the med school.  The writer infers that means SSM.  It could mean SLUCare.

My understanding is that all SLUCare physicians are technically faculty of the school. They are all officially employed by the school, at least. My understanding of the internal medicine clerkship not being taught by faculty was that they were referring to either St Mary's staff or Mercy staff which take 3rd year students but aren't SLUCare physicians. Also, students have to spread out throughout the region to have enough places to go for family medicine experiences and that means private practice physicians teach as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

My understanding is that all SLUCare physicians are technically faculty of the school. They are all officially employed by the school, at least. My understanding of the internal medicine clerkship not being taught by faculty was that they were referring to either St Mary's staff or Mercy staff which take 3rd year students but aren't SLUCare physicians. Also, students have to spread out throughout the region to have enough places to go for family medicine experiences and that means private practice physicians teach as well.

That would do it.

To have the students do a medical clerkship's the instructor docs have to go through a rather extensive vetting process and usually get a faculty appointment. With the transition I could see that be a problem.

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

Whatever the problem is, it appears to be of an administrative and vetting nature rather than a real issue. Things like this are solvable with a lot of extra added paperwork.

I been involved in a similar situation. It can be challenging when the docs are in good standing, practiced in the US for decades but graduated from obscure places like the Univ. of Kharkov in E. Ukraine or Univ East Bengal in India.

Interesting, SLU provided the 'action plan' in the for the press response. Smart move. In reassures the public that this has no impact on the 'quality of care' at the the new affiliate hospitals and quality of SLU Medical School grads. Unfortunately, Tenet Health Care abruptly left, as they did here in Atlanta.   

I would say it was fortunate that Tenet Health Care left and open the door for association with SSM. However all that is good has blemishes in it and we have to deal with straightening up the credentialing of all of these MDs. By the way, this reinforces what I said about the disadvantages of getting a degree in a foreign school. Yes you are an MD but you are going to have trouble and suspicion coming at you from everywhere (even patients) and credentialing will be more difficult for you. Not a good thing to deal with.

22 hours ago, Old guy said:

cgelodmacher you obviously never got into the rat race of applying to med school in the US. To start with most med schools, including the lowest ranking most maligned ones in this country have in excess of 10-20 or more applicants per sport available. Some kids do not get accepted the first try. Many go to, let's call them less than great medical centers, places like Grenada, Dominican Republic and the like to get their diplomas. Then they have to go  through hoops to pass the ECFMG before they are allowed to take their boards anywhere. Getting into a reasonable internship/residency program is a problem for these kids and they may wind up practicing in out of the way places, places where generally no one else wants go go practice at. 

Then there is a second group of kids that apply to dental, osteopathy (which are perfectly comparable to med schools by the way) or even to homeopathy schools. Some of the ones that cannot or do not want to get into these types of schools go into graduate studies any number of subjects. They get Masters or even PhD's and then retake the exams and try again. Finally a few go into Veterinary medicine, some go into Podiatry and some get into Pharmacy school, always thinking of heading back to med school some day. Graduate programs in the health sciences are chock full of these failed MD applicants trying to get back in course until they settle in Academia somewhere.

I disagree with you, the SLU School of Medicine will continue going at full quota, the quality of the students will not be the same as at Harvard or Wash U but these kids will uniformly be bright and happy to have made it into med school in the US, believe me there. Besides probation is not the same as losing accreditation.

I agree with you about the class still filling up and SLU still turning people away.  That's going to happen regardless.  What I'm worried about is that they will be filling up on lesser applicants, because the stronger applicants will want to go to a school that is not on probation.  I don't think there is any doubt that it will play a role in the thought process of potential applicants.

• 9 months later...

I've heard new dean is very sharp and well respected. However, take Billichek and Brady and throw them on the Cleveland Browns and they won't succeed. That's his situation right now. He is fighting city hall and the old guard. Again how could a parent send their child to a school on probabtion with no clear plan on how they are restructuring? Oh and spend $100s of thousands of dollars on that experience. Again, lower bar get students who are just happy to get into a med school of lesser ability. I have one request please permently Mark or tattoo those students because I don't want them taking care of me when they graduate. I'll find a Wash u doc. It's systemic complicated problem and we have a sociology professor on the case to lead us to the solution. That's one hell of a paperwork mess up!

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Where is @Billikenswin to tell us that fear of retaliation is a simple paperwork error?

Obviously the residents that gave  the responses in the survey that triggered the investigation meant to respond positively, but they had bad penmanship and the accreditation board read them as something regarding fear of retaliation.

5 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I've heard new dean is very sharp and well respected. However, take Billichek and Brady and throw them on the Cleveland Browns and they won't succeed. That's his situation right now. He is fighting city hall and the old guard. Again how could a parent send their child to a school on probabtion with no clear plan on how they are restructuring? Oh and spend $100s of thousands of dollars on that experience. Again, lower bar get students who are just happy to get into a med school of lesser ability. I have one request please permently Mark or tattoo those students because I don't want them taking care of me when they graduate. I'll find a Wash u doc. It's systemic complicated problem and we have a sociology professor on the case to lead us to the solution. That's one hell of a paperwork mess up!

The new dean came into a mess of a situation for sure, but these issues have absolutely nothing to do with the overall quality of students coming out of the medical school. SLU's match rate for residency is above the national average and students have consistently matched at some of the best residency programs in the country. Look, I agree with you that the AD is a mess but you're off base about the medical school situation. It's in very good hands, especially with the two new curricular affairs deans, who are just as impressive as Dr. Behrns. One of them is a Jesuit from Georgetown who managed the 3rd/4th year curriculum there. 

We're also talking about a surgical resident who sued the department because she was upset about having to repeat her 4th year. Whether or not that's because they discriminated against her, or she was just a bad resident, is all up in the air. 

5 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

The new dean came into a mess of a situation for sure, but these issues have absolutely nothing to do with the overall quality of students coming out of the medical school. SLU's match rate for residency is above the national average and students have consistently matched at some of the best residency programs in the country. Look, I agree with you that the AD is a mess but you're off base about the medical school situation. It's in very good hands, especially with the two new curricular affairs deans, who are just as impressive as Dr. Behrns. One of them is a Jesuit from Georgetown who managed the 3rd/4th year curriculum there. 

We're also talking about a surgical resident who sued the department because she was upset about having to repeat her 4th year. Whether or not that's because they discriminated against her, or she was just a bad resident, is all up in the air. 

How many programs get visits from two separate accrediting entities in one year? 

16 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

How many programs get visits from two separate accrediting entities in one year? 

Like I said, Dean Behrns came into an absolute mess of a situation. These problems have been snowballing for years. The school is in excellent hands now, and God only knows what would have happened to the med school if we hadn't hired Behrns to clean up the mess. These are just the unfortunate manifestations of years of administrative neglect. If you want people to blame, blame the previous curricular affairs dean who was fired last year, the previous med school dean (who honestly should have retired 5 years before he did), and the university president who preceded Pestello and let these issues build up over the years. 

However, the actual issues themselves don't have much to do with the quality of the students graduating from the school because SLU students have matched very well into great residencies over the past decade. The news about the residency programs is indeed a little concerning, but only about 5 out of the 60 something programs had a warning from the agency in 2017. Behrns hired two quality control experts last year because he anticipated these problems and so he was already way ahead of the game. 

Box and Won likes this

25 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

That was my point about Bellichek and Brady going to the Browns. That guy is sharp and walked into a bigger mess than he was led on to believe. It is very complicated and more sensitive than people realize.

2 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Like I said, Dean Behrns came into an absolute mess of a situation. These problems have been snowballing for years. The school is in excellent hands now, and God only knows what would have happened to the med school if we hadn't hired Behrns to clean up the mess. These are just the unfortunate manifestations of years of administrative neglect. If you want people to blame, blame the previous curricular affairs dean who was fired last year, the previous med school dean (who honestly should have retired 5 years before he did), and the university president who preceded Pestello and let these issues build up over the years. 

However, the actual issues themselves don't have much to do with the quality of the students graduating from the school because SLU students have matched very well into great residencies over the past decade. The news about the residency programs is indeed a little concerning, but only about 5 out of the 60 something programs had a warning from the agency in 2017. Behrns hired two quality control experts last year because he anticipated these problems and so he was already way ahead of the game. 

Wait - you mean "Damn the Torpedo Biondi" let this happen because he could not make a decision on the problem - can't be,  he would have had Situation #2 decided and done with before it happened!

• 4 weeks later...

We all need a little bit of good news during these trying times. Residency and Fellowship programs at SLU are all accredited, all is going very well for the medical school under Dean Behrns' leadership:

Dear School of Medicine Faculty and Staff,

We are delighted to announce the notification from ACGME that we have received "Continued Accreditation" status for Graduate Medical Education at the School of Medicine. After completing an institutional site visit in mid-January,  the ACGME's Institutional Review Committee has given us the highest accreditation status during our 2018 annual accreditation review.  This reflects the dedication and great effort of all of our faculty, staff, clinical partners, and trainees.  Our teaching mission would not be successful without the hard work of our educators, researchers, and clinical providers.

Congratulations, and thank you for all your work with our trainees and our training programs.

Sincerely,
Julie Gammack, MD
Associate Dean, Graduate Medical Education
Billikid and Basketbill like this

• 8 months later...