Med School Double Secret Probation

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

After making big improvements last year the law school dropped 6 spots to 88 this year 

Where did the law school rank the year before? I know it was a big deal a few years back when it dropped out of the top 100. Hopefully the move to the building downtown is paying off in other measures.

30 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Where did the law school rank the year before? I know it was a big deal a few years back when it dropped out of the top 100. Hopefully the move to the building downtown is paying off in other measures.

It was 87, then 82, now 88. 10-15 years ago we were in the high 60s, low 70s. The reality is it makes very little difference whether a school is ranked 75th vs. 95th. But it is good to be firmly in the top 100 again.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Pestello is doing a great job. 

I don't know if Pestello is to blame here.  His guy didn't take over the medical school until January 1.  I think it is probably safe to assume these issues existed prior to Pestello taking over.

Back when they announced the succession plan of the medical school dean, Pestello hinted that there were going to problems with the accreditation review.  The revamp of med school leadership and the leadership of SLUCare was a response to these problems.  Pestello addressed this just months after it was announced he was taking over.

It appears to me that Pestello is catching blame for many different problems that were actually left for him by Biondi.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/slu-announces-succession-plan-for-medical-school-dean-taps-new/article_9c653dee-1734-52a8-a66e-65fb22bc449c.html

15 minutes ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

Med Student here, very awkward climate today. We have town halls with the new dean over lunch tomorrow and Thursday where I assume we'll hear a little more. Can Bills basketball be the savior the University increasingly seems to need?

More awkward:

Being put on academic probation or having 4 law school deans in 3 years?

What college student is going to want to apply to a med school that is currently on probation.  This is a huge blow that will affect the quality of students the Med School gets for years.

Pestello took over in July of 2014.  He's been at the helm for over two and a half years.  He was in charge when the merger with SSM happened.  At what point do we start holding this guy responsible for the myriad of problems that have arisen since he took over?  The budget is a mess, employees are getting laid off left and right, and the Med School is the only med school in the country currently on probation.  Can the alumni protest down on campus and give Pestello a vote of no-confidence just like the idiots in the faculty did to Biondi a few years ago?

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What college student is going to want to apply to a med school that is currently on probation.  This is a huge blow that will affect the quality of students the Med School gets for years.

Pestello took over in July of 2014.  He's been at the helm for over two and a half years.  He was in charge when the merger with SSM happened.  At what point do we start holding this guy responsible for the myriad of problems that have arisen since he took over?  The budget is a mess, employees are getting laid off left and right, and the Med School is the only med school in the country currently on probation.  Can the alumni protest down on campus and give Pestello a vote of no-confidence just like the idiots in the faculty did to Biondi a few years ago?

To be honest, he inherited a mess. To be perfectly honest.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Is there something wrong with the SSM merger?

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What college student is going to want to apply to a med school that is currently on probation. 

Baylor is mentioned as having been on probation in recent years.  They're currently listed at No. 21 on U.S. News' med school rankings.  

GW was on probation too - they're No. 59.  

We're 67.  

These accreditation reviews are a bit more complicated then just check off a list.  I have seen where a school knew they had a problem in one small area and had a plan in place to address it but since the team did not physically see the results of the plan that was in place then the school gets whacked.  I get it if it is not there then it doesn't exist.  The problem is that they tend to treat all areas equally and we all know that that is not really true.  I am not saying that is not a problem but that lets let the smoke clear before everybody goes crazy.  This situation may already be in the process of being remedied and just needs a little time to be in place.  As far as people applying - the school will not have a problem getting students - the best maybe not but they may not have been getting the top ones anyway.  Pestello has not been here long enough to get shackled with all these issues totally.  In a couple years if things are still not right then I agree he needs to go.

14 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Is there something wrong with the SSM merger?

There's nothing wrong with the SSM merger.  It is a great deal for the Med School.  However, the article mentioned problems after the merger that were associated with the merger as being some of the issues for which we were put on probation.  For instance, I believe it suggested that students were being supervised by SSM doctors that are not school faculty.  Apparently, that is a no-no.  My point was the those problems arose with Pestello in charge.  The great scape goat of many on this board was gone by then.

15 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

There's nothing wrong with the SSM merger.  It is a great deal for the Med School.  However, the article mentioned problems after the merger that were associated with the merger as being some of the issues for which we were put on probation.  For instance, I believe it suggested that students were being supervised by SSM doctors that are not school faculty.  Apparently, that is a no-no.  My point was the those problems arose with Pestello in charge.  The great scape goat of many on this board was gone by then.

Gotcha. Makes sense. That wasn't adversarial, I just wasn't following (i.e. I didn't read closely enough). 

33 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What college student is going to want to apply to a med school that is currently on probation.  This is a huge blow that will affect the quality of students the Med School gets for year

cgelodmacher you obviously never got into the rat race of applying to med school in the US. To start with most med schools, including the lowest ranking most maligned ones in this country have in excess of 10-20 or more applicants per sport available. Some kids do not get accepted the first try. Many go to, let's call them less than great medical centers, places like Grenada, Dominican Republic and the like to get their diplomas. Then they have to go  through hoops to pass the ECFMG before they are allowed to take their boards anywhere. Getting into a reasonable internship/residency program is a problem for these kids and they may wind up practicing in out of the way places, places where generally no one else wants go go practice at. 

Then there is a second group of kids that apply to dental, osteopathy (which are perfectly comparable to med schools by the way) or even to homeopathy schools. Some of the ones that cannot or do not want to get into these types of schools go into graduate studies any number of subjects. They get Masters or even PhD's and then retake the exams and try again. Finally a few go into Veterinary medicine, some go into Podiatry and some get into Pharmacy school, always thinking of heading back to med school some day. Graduate programs in the health sciences are chock full of these failed MD applicants trying to get back in course until they settle in Academia somewhere.

I disagree with you, the SLU School of Medicine will continue going at full quota, the quality of the students will not be the same as at Harvard or Wash U but these kids will uniformly be bright and happy to have made it into med school in the US, believe me there. Besides probation is not the same as losing accreditation.

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It doesn't actually say that.  What it says is affiliates of the med school.  The writer infers that means SSM.  It could mean SLUCare.

I don't think there should be any big surprise now that a year and a half ago Pestello formed a committee that fast forwarded the process of replacing the dean of the med school and he replaced the five member panel that was running SLUCare.  Most of the results of those changes won't be reflected in this accreditation.  Much of the accreditation is based on the 2016 AAMC Graduation Questionnaire. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

cgelodmacher you obviously never got into the rat race of applying to med school in the US. To start with most med schools, including the lowest ranking most maligned ones in this country have in excess of 10-20 or more applicants per sport available. Some kids do not get accepted the first try. Many go to, let's call them less than great medical centers, places like Grenada, Dominican Republic and the like to get their diplomas. Then they have to go  through hoops to pass the ECFMG before they are allowed to take their boards anywhere. Getting into a reasonable internship/residency program is a problem for these kids and they may wind up practicing in out of the way places, places where generally no one else wants go go practice at. 

Then there is a second group of kids that apply to dental, osteopathy (which are perfectly comparable to med schools by the way) or even to homeopathy schools. Some of the ones that cannot or do not want to get into these types of schools go into graduate studies any number of subjects. They get Masters or even PhD's and then retake the exams and try again. Finally a few go into Veterinary medicine, some go into Podiatry and some get into Pharmacy school, always thinking of heading back to med school some day. Graduate programs in the health sciences are chock full of these failed MD applicants trying to get back in course until they settle in Academia somewhere.

I disagree with you, the SLU School of Medicine will continue going at full quota, the quality of the students will not be the same as at Harvard or Wash U but these kids will uniformly be bright and happy to have made it into med school in the US, believe me there. Besides probation is not the same as losing accreditation.

Wow. I had no idea podiatrists are not actual medical doctors, or that there was such a thing as schools for homeopathy. Always learn something from oldguy posts.