Grawer's Final Home Game

kshoe

I wasn't old enough to drive at the time, but does anybody else remember Grawer's final home game? I seem to recall that when the team was announced and when Grawer was announced the crowd gave him a standing ovation. I think it was more of a show of support for him given all the defections than an acknowledgement that everyone knew he was gone after the season.

I expect nothing but crickets when Crews is announced on Saturday.

On a related note, any idea if Ash's ceremony will be pre-game or post-game. Post game is great when you win the game and have had a great season. It sucks when you've had the kind of season we've had this year. Hopefully it's pre-game.

I wasn't old enough to drive at the time, but does anybody else remember Grawer's final home game? I seem to recall that when the team was announced and when Grawer was announced the crowd gave him a standing ovation. I think it was more of a show of support for him given all the defections than an acknowledgement that everyone knew he was gone after the season.

I expect nothing but crickets when Crews is announced on Saturday.

On a related note, any idea if Ash's ceremony will be pre-game or post-game. Post game is great when you win the game and have had a great season. It sucks when you've had the kind of season we've had this year. Hopefully it's pre-game.

It's postgame according to SLU's website

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=210762494

It should never be postgame at a slu game we could be about to go into overtime against the golden state warriors and 1/3 of the crowd would leave at the last time out to "beat the traffic". For a last game of the season and likely loss to st bonnie and no David burns or Anthony bonner like senior there will be less than 500 people left to watch. That's just wrong and disrespectful but reality.

Since opening Chaifetz in 2008, we are 2-5 on Senior Days/Nights, with losses over LaSalle (09), Temple (10), Xavier (11), Dayton (14) and Bonnie (15). Only wins were in 2012 (Xavier) and 2013 (LaSalle)

BTW: before the Duquense loss at home in 2014, we were 87-18 at Chaifetz - a 82.9% winning percentage overall and 36-10 (78.3%) in conference. Since that loss we are 16-21 (43.2%) and 6-13 (31.6%) in the A-10.

Hopefully, Saturday will be the Senior Day for Crews/Platt. #FireJimCrews

Got to feel a little remorseful for Ash ..... a four-star high school recruit, goes to Villanova where it all goes south enough to transfer, picks a team/coach in Saint Louis he likes but is really not the team he saw by the time he gets there, surrounding talent weak, coaching staff questionable, game not consistent, an empty house come senior day. Not everything comes up roses when moving to the next level, unfortunately.

I wish him well. He's always a Billiken.

By the time Grawer left, I was living in Washington, DC and unable to attend. Grawer's final season bookended identical 5 and 23 seasons from his first year and his last. His final home game was an 88 to 71 loss to DePaul on February 29, 1992. Have no clue what total attendance was at the Checkerdome/Arena that night. That was loss #23; that team then went to Birmingham and got shellacked 104 to 76 before closing in Chicago at the Great Midwest Tournament in a 74 to 63 verdict to Marquette.

By the time Grawer left, I was living in Washington, DC and unable to attend. Grawer's final season bookended identical 5 and 23 seasons from his first year and his last. His final home game was an 88 to 71 loss to DePaul on February 29, 1992. Have no clue what total attendance was at the Checkerdome/Arena that night. That was loss #23; that team then went to Birmingham and got shellacked 104 to 76 before closing in Chicago at the Great Midwest Tournament in a 74 to 63 verdict to Marquette.

By that time I was entering my 7th year in the Golden State. But I do remember listening to that game, and Rich Grawer did receive a lengthy and loud standing ovation from the SLU fans, and deservedly so. Although things unraveled that last year, SLU was 19-14 the year before and played but lost the MCC Tournament Championship Game that previous year and was the NIT Runner-Up each of the 2 years before that.

As an Ekker Era Survivor, it says here without any reservation that Rich Grawer is the Savior of Billiken Basketball.

Got to feel a little remorseful for Ash ..... a four-star high school recruit, goes to Villanova where it all goes south enough to transfer, picks a team/coach in Saint Louis he likes but is really not the team he saw by the time he gets there, surrounding talent weak, coaching staff questionable, game not consistent, an empty house come senior day. Not everything comes up roses when moving to the next level, unfortunately.

I wish him well. He's always a Billiken.

Not only that, but he sees ghosts as the ghost of majerus recruited him to slu?

-I expect like the last few games I will just be sitting there on Saturday with no emotion

-I will have a few beers before the game to get me through it

-the dumpster fire of this season and last have taken their toll on me

-I look forward to the announcement of the new coach and hope it will rejuvenate me as this is not fun

By that time I was entering my 7th year in the Golden State. But I do remember listening to that game, and Rich Grawer did receive a lengthy and loud standing ovation from the SLU fans, and very deservedly so. Although things unraveled that last year, SLU was 19-14 the year before and played but lost the MCC Tournament Championship Game the previous year and was the NIT Runner-Up each of the 2 years before that.

As an Ekker Era Survivor, it says here without any reservation that Rich Grawer is the Savior of Billiken Basketball.

Rich Grawer is the reason I love Billiken basketball. My first game was sitting on the floor at Kiel with a season ticket holder playing Loyola. I remember Jim Roder, Ted Mimlitz, Rheditt Hudson and Pee Wee Lenard playing in that game. I have been a Billiken fan ever since and have always appreciated what coach Grawer did for the program. Coach Grawer was so close to the big dance it is a shame he did not get there.

Rich Grawer is the reason I love Billiken basketball. My first game was sitting on the floor at Kiel with a season ticket holder playing Loyola. I remember Jim Roder, Ted Mimlitz, Rheditt Hudson and Pee Wee Lenard playing in that game. I have been a Billiken fan ever since and have always appreciated what coach Grawer did for the program. Coach Grawer was so close to the big dance it is a shame he did not get there.

If not for the Upchurch fiasco, what could have been?

I've said this before- in Biblical terms, Rich Grawer was SLU's Moses, he led us to the Promised Land but was not allowed to enter it himself (the NCAA Tournament). Charlie Spoonhour was SLU's Joshua, who actually led us into the Promised Land of the NCAA Tournament, with 2 of Rich Grawer's best recruits, Erwin Claggett and Scott Highmark, who were young Freshmen on Coach Grawer's last SLU team, but Juniors on Spoon's first NCAA team. Spoon added very good pieces in Donnie Dobbs and H Waldman.

And I agree, if not for the Craig Upchurch fiasco (but after all, this is SLU, where this stuff happens), Grawer without any doubt would have had an NCAA Tournament team.

If not for the Upchurch fiasco, what could have been?

Agree. And imagine if Rich had a Chaifetz Arena in his recruiting arsenal.

I always felt he went to war with 1 arm behind his back. Maybe an arm and a half.

Most of Charlie's team was recruited by Rich.

We owe him a lot.

I've said this before- in Biblical terms, Rich Grawer was SLU's Moses, he led us to the Promised Land but was not allowed to enter it himself (the NCAA Tournament). Charlie Spoonhour was SLU's Joshua, who actually led us into the Promised Land of the NCAA Tournament, with 2 of Rich Grawer's best recruits, Erwin Claggett and Scott Highmark, who were young Freshmen on Coach Grawer's last SLU team, but Juniors on Spoon's first NCAA team. Spoon added very good pieces in Donnie Dobbs and H Waldman.

If so, then it would seem that — and I really hate to say this — Jim Crews is King Solomon, who, after starting off well based on what King David (Coach Majerus) established, went south and caused the disruption of everything.

Ghosts are in the past and the past is 20/20. Ash noticed and eventually picked SLU after watching Majerus' team destroy his Nova outfit in Anaheim. The ghost that confirmed this was Ash's brother.

What kshoe gems are out there? How about what, 18 wins this year? Maybe the fact guys get better just by being older? Why don't you bring up the fact I saw Jett transferring after his sophomore year. Never mind --- did that for you. You can argue against all my projections, that is what they are there for, to stir debate.

Ash's reason for being here is reality. No amount of blather will change that.