something good to say

billiken_roy

let's take a run at trying to say something good about last night. i will start.

i thought the billiken club christmas party was nice. thank you billiken club.

Best thing I can say about it is ... I only watched 10 minutes but read the board and can't make myself watch the rest. First time in 25 years that I haven't watched an available Bills game. Having practice on Mon and Wed and working Saturdays, I have to tape many. However, as bad as I sometimes know the game is, I always watch. I'm just to the point of not caring enough to bother and that's sad.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" ..... to the point of not caring enough to bother and that's sad."

This is probably the most valid statement on the board, likely attributable to all even though skip is this one's author. When this happens to even the most loyal of the fan base, you got trouble, right here in River City.

I started feeling just like that, earlier this year (i.e. Feb. 2015). I got my hopes up a tiny bit when we looked decent against North Florida. But right now, I am just about to that point of apathy : I don't really care and I don't feel like being bothered, and I am a little sad about that. I'm pretty diehard, too: I was hugely interested all through the Soderberg years, for example.

I suppose things might get better, and maybe we can even surpass our win total of last year in the A10 (by winning 4??). But I doubt it. And wow, I'm surprised at how far my interested has fallen. What a debacle season so far. It's sad when even the coach admits his team has "fallen off the ledge."

ps: I have 4 tickets for tonight and no friends have the time, or interest, to go with me. In fact, I don't, either...

" ..... to the point of not caring enough to bother and that's sad."

This is probably the most valid statement on the board, likely attributable to all even though skip is this one's author.

I started feeling just like that, earlier this year (i.e. Feb. 2015). I got my hopes up a tiny bit when we looked decent against North Florida. But right now, I am just about to that point of apathy : I don't really care and I don't feel like being bothered, and I am a little sad about that. I'm pretty diehard, too: I was hugely interested all through the Soderberg years, for example.

I'm not trying to bring up any past back-and-forth on Soderberg, but I was thinking the other night about how it seems the collective desire to see Crews fired has far surpassed the number of people that wanted Soderberg gone. I can't think of a time when the board was this much in agreement about firing a coach.

I'm not trying to bring up any past back-and-forth on Soderberg, but I was thinking the other night about how it seems the collective desire to see Crews fired has far surpassed the number of people that wanted Soderberg gone. I can't think of a time when the board was this much in agreement about firing a coach.

That's true. Soderberg had his supporters - including Levick and some prominent boosters - up until the end.

I think Crews still (somehow) has some who wouldn't want to fire him after this season. If they ever posted here, they're not posting currently. Which is understandable - in terms of ratio, it's like wearing an opposing team's jersey to a hostile arena.

I agree.

I don't know if anyone questioned Soderberg's ability as a coach of basketball. He could take a shitbag team and keep them in games. His recruiting prowess seemed to be what most didn't like about him.

Crews doesn't seem to have either thing in his favor. His teams get blown out and makes recrutiing mistakes like Brett Jolly.

Sodie's last season was like a war on here. It got pretty ugly.

This board almost isn't fun because everyone agrees about everything now.

I agree, Moy. It has to do with expectations: after breaking the Top Ten, #4 seed, and nearly knocking off MSU, etc., we got our collective hopes way up....

In the Soderberg era, we just wanted some bread crumbs from off the big boy's table; once you get a better taste, who wants crumbs?? It was the "engine that could" thing -- and we had guys like Kevin, who symbolized the desire and commitment and toughness of the engine that could. I know we all disliked the recruiting, and that held us back. But actually, as frequent attender of practices under Brad -- he could coach, and he could get a lot out of those kind of players, within a system that worked somewhat.

in fact, now that I think about it -- I'm sure you are right --it's much more hateful now.

Brad Soderberg was cashiered after a season in which his team won 20 games; he led the Bills to two NIT appearances and managed to bring in all-conference caliber players in Ian Vouyoukas, Tommie Liddell, and Kevin Lisch (though the supporting cast wasn't strong enough for NCAA Tournament or conference championship runs). In contrast, Jim Crews has built a program of teams struggling to win half that number of games against a weaker schedule, and while some of the individual players have individual talent, the team is less than the sum of its parts and the coaches are unable to bring the talent out of the players. To me, that justifies a greater groundswell for change now than then.

I suppose things might get better, and maybe we can even surpass our win total of last year in the A10 (by winning 4??). But I doubt it. And wow, I'm surprised at how far my interested has fallen. What a debacle season so far. It's sad when even the coach admits his team has "fallen off the ledge."

ps: I have 4 tickets for tonight and no friends have the time, or interest, to go with me. In fact, I don't, either...

I'm with you on this. You feel just like I feel. I'm directing my interest to the UCONN women's team. They play the game the way it was meant to be played. I'm also following the SLU women.

I opened a Stone/4 Hands/Bale Breaker Sorry Not Sorry (imperial IPA with peaches) during the second half. Still working on it. It's 9% ABV, which is about the minimum boost level I need to watch a SLU game and keep my nerves from exploding. It really should be a double-digit ABV offering consumed during games from now on, though. Still, this is a very good beer.

I opened a Stone/4 Hands/Bale Breaker Sorry Not Sorry (imperial IPA with peaches) during the second half. Still working on it. It's 9% ABV, which is about the minimum boost level I need to watch a SLU game and keep my nerves from exploding. It really should be a double-digit ABV offering consumed during games from now on, though. Still, this is a very good beer.

Good call, I sipped on some Eagle Rare and found that I didn't even get frustrated watching the 2nd half.

Good call, I sipped on some Eagle Rare and found that I didn't even get frustrated watching the 2nd half.

Oooh, nice. 10-year or 17?

10-year Eagle Rare is an awesome buy for the price. It's become my go-to bourbon at home in the past couple years.