Observations from Section 119

mrjoelabs

22 years at Colorado with the final job of associate athletic director for external affairs.

And the external affairs part is the weakest part of his regime.

I believe that Majerus had some hand in recommending May, or at least that was the story of the time in these parts.

I told you all last January that this was a low talent roster and the freshmen added this year fit the roster well. Neither of them are good enough to play significant minutes after joining this poor team.

The kid for next year indeed is more talented, but he comes from a poorly coached high school and isn't going to come in to our roster with a high level awareness and understanding of basketball. A good coach might fix that. Unfortunately as Mr king points out not only is this coaching staff poor recruiters they are not good at development and floor coaching.

This isn't going to fix easy. We are back to a team level the billikens took 30 years to emerge from. Hopefully it won't take that long again. The best case scenario is 4 years minimum. But that will take a home run coach and staff that just dominates recruiting immeduately.

It can be done. But that level of a four year turnaround will be very expensive.

Thanks Dr chaifetz for the appearance last night. THAT the highlight of the night as it told me he has not given up on our team. Now we need him and other big timers to speak their mind and offer their assistance. We cannot let crews finish his contract. The time is 2016 or we bury ourselves further into ekkertime

Roy.

Roy. Neither you nor I am surprised by what Crews had done to date. Again, it is either one or the other: either Crews was this widely regarded "hot" basketball coach who was a winner, who coached a style that guys wanted to play for (national COY, Ash transferred to play for Crews) and was too good not to retain (way too much public pressure if SLU did not hire him) or not. A coach with type of clout should be able to land four (4) impact players and coach up the remaining veterans to "carry" the team until the new and younger kids develop. I still believe our youngsters (Frosh and Sophs) will be good, they are obviously not the type of guys who can step in and carry the team each night as youngsters and I am not ready to give up on them or say they are as bad at the 1983 guys or label Crews as a horrible recruiter but I do have serious concerns about Crews' ability to evaluate talent and then coach up the talent he gets. If our team shows cohesion and improvement, then we wait for the help which is on its way. But if guys are still not buying in and not playing for him, then he must go sooner than later.

Reggie showed real promise against North Florda but these past three (3) games appears to have reverted back to his old form. MN, BJ and MN simply do not appear ready to be effective now -- and that's a real problem. Ash and Crawford are either team leaders/best players or role players. Team leaders produce each game. Role players do so during the right matchups or only a certain nights.

Quite frankly, though, even assuming most of the Freshman and Sophs turn out good, a program cannot have too many "misses": Grandy, McBroom and the Valpo guard along with Lancona and Reggie and then with Ash and Crawford as marginal players.

I believe that Majerus had some hand in recommending May, or at least that was the story of the time in these parts.

No good and strong coach wants a good and strong athletic director. Instead, they want a career "yes man". Looks like RM got was he wanted.

And again, if the public pressure was too great to not hire Crews and if SLU has no money/boosters to get them out of long term contracts, then a 3 year contract (yes, not a normal situation but we were not in a normal situation either I believe we could have gotten by just fine with a 3 year contract with Crews) and/or a five (5) year contract (for recruiting purposes, etc.) with a low buyout for SLU should have been negotiated. If not, then May should be let go immediately.

Given how the prior athletic director departed, does anyone think that an aggressive and ambitious candidate would have applied for the job? (For the record, I've had several direct interactions with Chris May, and I've found him affable and professional. But no dedicated "change agent" is his or her right mind would have come to work under a Biondi administration.

@ Clock: I'd offer one dissent on Yacoubou --- I recall a story where Yacoubou was most impressed by the beat down Majerus and SLU laid on his then-Villanova team at that Anaheim tournament. If i recall, we beat Boston College, Oklahoma and 'Nova in that run. We got ranked and then promptly lost to Loyola Marymount in our next game. I recall it being said or written that Yacoubou was so impressed by that team, that was why he transferred to us. So that is not on Crews.

People also said Yacoubou would be an answer to long-range sniping as he shot nearly 40+ percent from three that year at Nova. But he took only about 1 to 2 treys a game(31 gp/21 3GM/53 3GA/53 3GA) or .67 three made a game vs. 1.7 threes attempted per game.

Basketball this early in the season is a pass/fail grade. The Bills did just enough to win. Pass.

We haven't been able to sustain an offensive rhythm. Crawford is the only one scoring in the flow of the offense. Everyone else is playing hero ball. These kids have got to learn to trust each other for more than 2-3 minutes at a time.

I think it's going to take getting blown out by North Florida or Louisville before these kids commit to playing how they practice. Trying to out-athlete those teams isn't going to work.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26749&page=17

That's what I wrote after three games going into the North Florida game. That's the only game of the season we didn't play hero ball. We reverted back to hero ball in the next game once we were faced with a clearly superior opponent. Unfortunately, we got away with playing hero ball for about 25 minutes against Louisville and I think the kids were lulled into a false sense of security. And we see where that got them in the Morehead State and Wichita State games.

There's still time to establish good habits before the conference season. But time is running short.

That's what I wrote after three games going into the North Florida game. That's the only game of the season we didn't play hero ball. We reverted back to hero ball in the next game once we were faced with a clearly superior opponent. Unfortunately, we got away with playing hero ball for about 25 minutes against Louisville and I think the kids were lulled into a false sense of security. And we see where that got them in the Morehead State and Wichita State games.

There's still time to establish good habits before the conference season. But time is running short.

Time is up. It takes too long to write long posts like clock, old guy, etc, so i'm going to try the MB way. Here are some bullet points for why it's time for crews to go:

• team regressed last year after showing some promise
  • team is regressing this year after showing some promise
  • except for miles - none of the freshman are showing improvement
  • staff hasn't recruited a single traditional big in 3 years
  • our assistant coaches have not proven themselves capable of being d1 coaches. Tanner? I get it, Majerus liked him. Majerus also liked Crews. Calbert? I was fooled too. He can't recruit. Jim Platt? 55-89 as a head coach at Charleston Southern
  • local recruits aren't interested in SLU.
  • fan enthusiasm is way down. I think back to that weekend in Columbus and I don't see that happening again for a longgggggg time.
  • doesn't appear the team has any interest in what Crews is saying.
  • We have the nicest arena in the a10. We have Chaifetz. We have good facilities. We should not settle for a 61 year old coach w/ a .500 record.

Quick ways that would ensure improvement: screening off the ball, consistent cutting at a good speed, willingness to pass, more attention to details such as footwork ( most of our players catch the ball wrong to set up their shots), and an emphasis on improving FT shooting. Though that's a long list, it is not rocket science. It is basketball.

i saw coach wining and dining him at 5 or it Five now on the Hill but then in Mangrove. As I recall it was all coach's call to make the hire of May.

I believe I was sitting last night in a row way up, and the row right behind me had a whole bunch of Riverview players, and I believe Zeke Moore was there among them, there were some adults farther down the row. They were making comments upon how we were missing open shots and saying "they need you" (probably meaning Zeke). If he is as good a shooter as has been told, they are probably right. It was nice, I did not say much to them but it was nice to hear them talk about SLU and the game. I think Zeke will be a really fine addition to our team.

Zeke will be great ---- providing he shoots from the one spot on the floor Crews has reserved for him. Maybe at the elbow.

Zeke is coming from a bad program short in fundamentalks coached by his dad. And then Crews. Yeah, that will go well.

I'm not much of a student of the game, but what I noticed, especially last night, is that most of the time most of our players don't seem to even think about what they're going to do with the ball until they have it in their hands. Vivid contrast with Van Vleet.

I'm not much of a student of the game, but what I noticed, especially last night, is that most of the time most of our players don't seem to even think about what they're going to do with the ball until they have it in their hands. Vivid contrast with Van Vleet.

Crews is a big proponent of being prepared to take action before you get the ball in your hands and using the time you don't have the ball (which is most of the time) to cut and screen with a purpose. Only a couple of our players actually do this. Until more guys pick it up, they are going to be extremely easy to guard.

Zeke and Riverview Gardens will be in the Midwest Showdown at CBC on Dec 19 if you want to take your mind off our present troubles.

Doesn't Crews deserve some blame here? These are his recruits that he is failing to get through to.

I don't remember who made the post - I was not talking specifically about anyone person just the idea how people can jump on and off the bandwagon. I guess what you are saying is that you meant it as simply a question to be responded to and so I may have misinterpreted it.

It's hard not to jump on and off sometimes. I'd like to hear from anyone who predicted 12 wins saying they didn't question that even a little after our good start ... and it wasn't just the wins, it was the way we looked, the emergence of Reynolds, and what looked to be improvement from Ash, Crawford, and Reggie. I also can't imagine those who predicted 15, 16 or more questioning it after the last 3 games. I always tend to be optimistic especially since it's just a pick on a message board, but it's also just my nature. I picked 18 I think, I'm questioning that big time. Not just because we lost, but due to how bad we looked in loosing