You fire Crews...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The endowment principal is not touched and neither are some of the gains (you want to grow the endowment). The administration decides how to tap it depending on how much profit they make out of it, and how much profit they make out of day to day activities vs the school expenses (personnel, etc...) and previously approved development programs. Believe me a billion dollar endowment does not provide a bottomless yearly capital flow. Do not forget that endowment income is variable and subject to the market trends, and this particular year the market has not been favorable to fixed income and any number of equity sectors, as well as foreign / emerging markets. This means that the projected endowment income may not have been reached because the projected targets were not met, not an uncommon situation when the market is not doing well.

To give you an idea of the magnitude of the flows, the director of the Harvard endowment resigned in 2007 and left to join some firm (as a principal). He had been extremely successful in growing Harvard's endowment during his tenure and left as a conquering hero. The following year the market tanked and Harvard's endowment went down BADLY, if I recall correctly about 30-40% loss on its principal valuation. Harvard responded to this by cancelling a major expansion on the other side of the river (Allston) and scrimped for a few years until they got back to a stable situation. Similar situations occurred in Yale and other schools. Do you think SLU's endowment is protected somehow against the whims of the market and does not go up and down with the market as Harvard's does? You have a billion in endowment today, the market goes south, what makes you think you will have a billion endowment next year? The administration has to think about all of these events that do not fit projections and be able to control cash flow to fit actual income. It is not easy to do, some years go OK, others do not.

If a coach gets fired with two years left on his contract at 700k per year, the school owes him the 700k per year unless there is a buyout clause. If that coach gets another job during those two years making 500k per year, the school only owes him 200k per year. That gives the coach an incentive to negotiate a lump some buyout if he thinks he can go out and get another job. With a younger guy that would be important. Crews doesn't have that incentive. He always said he was happy with retirement. He came back because Majerus was in a bind with Jenkins bailing on him just before the start of the season and it was only going to be a one year deal. Majerus told him they would win a lot of games and have a lot of fun. The second year he came back to stick around because they were winning and it was fun. Then, of course the health issue took over and he became interim head coach and ended up with a 700k per year 5 year deal. I'm sure that is at least double what he ever made before and a real nice way to top off setting yourself up for retirement. Getting fired with two years left @ 700k is the ultimate retirement send off. I don't expect Crews will have much financial incentive to negotiate. If money is Crews motivator SLU will be on the hook for the whole thing. SLU's hope will be that money isn't his only motivator and that he will see value in resigning with a buyout.

maybe he's tanking

If a coach gets fired with two years left on his contract at 700k per year, the school owes him the 700k per year unless there is a buyout clause. If that coach gets another job during those two years making 500k per year, the school only owes him 200k per year.

It is hard for me to imagine that SLU would have to pay Crews anywhere near $700k per year if they fired him after the season unless SLU signed an absurdly favorable contract for Crews. I know when there was some discussion about Mizzou firing Haith with two years remaining on his contract, the buyout would have been $350k per year when he was due to make around $1.75 million per year for the final two years with the $350k representing his base salary. Based on that, I would assume there is a base salary that SLU would have to buyout that would just be a portion of his total compensation.

Crews is clearly not the answer, the question for me is how long it takes the decision makers to make a change or when the ideal time to make that change is. Many of us felt like there was enough question to give him this season, but depending on how the next few weeks look, I wonder if we should just cut bait before the conference season. I didn't watch any of the game last night, but against Morehead State the team could not have looked any less engaged in the game, just gave up. Maybe the guys are done with this coaching staff, be curious to see whether there are any transfers at the end of the semester.

SLU made something like $1.3 million for each game played in the ncaa tournament. 6 games total.

We can afford a buyout of crews even if we have to pay the full amount.

Why is it that whenever someone sees an amount of money they immediately think this is free money available for use in a discretionary fashion. The money made by playing in the NCAA is paid over a number of years, we are still receiving money from this participation in NCAA games. SLU knows this and knows for how long it will get money and how much it will get each year, they know this in advance. What makes you think that this money is not already pledged or assigned to something or the other (salaries, improvements in physical plant, what have you)? If his money is already earmarked for some purpose it is definitely NOT available for other purposes.

Why is it that whenever someone sees an amount of money they immediately think this is free money available for use in a discretionary fashion. The money made by playing in the NCAA is paid over a number of years, we are still receiving money from this participation in NCAA games. SLU knows this and knows for how long it will get money and how much it will get each year, they know this in advance. What makes you think that this money is not already pledged or assigned to something or the other (salaries, improvements in physical plant, what have you)? If his money is already earmarked for some purpose it is definitely NOT available for other purposes.

As priorities change shouldn't the decision making process as well? Are you trying to argue that decisions are made in stone and there is NO flexibility when it comes to "earmarking for some purposes"?"

Priorities change and men's basketball is the only sport that brings in revenue thanks to that 3 year NCAA run.

As priorities change shouldn't the decision making process as well? Are you trying to argue that decisions are made in stone and there is NO flexibility when it comes to "earmarking for some purposes"?"

BigMouthBilliken, there is some flexibility in the budget but only until the money is assigned to the budget for some heading or purpose and the budget is finalized, after that it is fixed and changing it is a major issue. The budgeting process is a lengthy yearly process. Every department and project in the University has to know exactly what their budget is and has to be able to depend upon this number, this is the only way the money flow can be maintained under control. Trying to change the budget is not an easy to do thing after the budget is finalized, and is something that will cause conflict in many ways. Perhaps fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) the final budgeting for the coming year is done at mid year, that is June July. Since most fiscal years end in December 31st, the budget for next year is probably fixed already and will be hard to change. It is therefore not likely that money will be available for a change in coaches until the next budget for 2017 is finalized sometime mid 2016. The decision to do or not to do the change in coaches, which will have to be incorporated in the budget, has to be made prior to the budgeting process start for the following year. I would say there is very little chance to do anything about this issue until the end of this season. However the decision to do or not to do is entirely in the administration's hands, they may decide not to take action in 2016.

Roby is intriguing as I do think he could be part of the rotation on an NCAA tournament team, and I do still like his upside...but offensively I'm not sure he's ever going to be at the level of a primary scorer or playmaker for a good team.

The verdict on Crews hinges on whether that 2014 class can get their sh|t together over the next few weeks and turn in a competitive A10 season.

I have no idea who this DR is compared to what I watched last season. Had his trajectory much higher, though I never saw him as a ball handler. Super glue guy

JMM care to explain why I am wrong about budgets?

Probably because you are neglecting to take into account the huge decrease in basketball program revenues as a result of the walking, talking, disaster that is Jim Crews- No post-season tournaments of any kind, significantly lower attendance, less TV revenue, etc. Basketball income has to be down, at minimum, $1million/yr compared to the Majerus days; probably a lot more. It doesn't take a financial genius to forecast the future downward trajectory of revenues as a result of continuing Jim Crews' reign of error.

Bottom line is Crews is gone at the end of year. That's a lock. The big question is who will replace him?

There were a number of fortunate circumstances that led to SLU's unlikely hire of Coach Majerus, But I am confident that the positive influences behind that hire are still around today. I heard that Dr Chaffetz has PJ Carlesimo on speed-dial.

Off topic- Soderberg was a much better coach than Crews ever was!

You really can't evaluate a recruiting class until the 2nd year. Say whatever you want about red flags being there while Crews was winning back to back outright A10 titles with Majerus' players, but the incoming 2014 freshmen was the first class Crews was able to recruit as the permanent coach.

Bigs can take longer to develop - but your 'star' guards and wings usually identify themselves by this point of their 2nd season...and who of the Reynolds, Roby, Yarbrough, Bartley crop look poised to challenge for all conference recognition?

At points during last season, I'd have said Yarbrough and maybe Bartley for his outside shooting and passing vision...but neither of those guys have progressed and have seemingly regressed.

Roby and Reynolds each bring different things to the table as combo guards, but neither look like the starting point guard of an NCAA tournament team - nor do they look capable of shouldering the offensive load. To me Reynolds is backup who can come in and make things happen in spurts, but so much of his game relies on drawing fouls...he needs to be able to absorb contact and finish because he's not getting those calls against good teams on the road.

1. Gary comma on flu, tdap deadlines

2. Survey

3. Xmas solicitations, Xmas tree picks

5. Brochure copy to creative services

4. Expense reports

5. Get organized-desktop, computer desktop, files

Roby is intriguing as I do think he could be part of the rotation on an NCAA tournament team, and I do still like his upside...but offensively I'm not sure he's ever going to be at the level of a primary scorer or playmaker for a good team.

The verdict on Crews hinges on whet her that 2014 class can get their sh|t together over the next few weeks and turn in a competitive A10 season.

Crews recruited Crawford, Agbeko,Lancona and Ash....Crews may have had the interim tag during some of that time, but they're his players.

LOL, pull up one my old posts from last year when Howland was doing the color commentating of a Bills game TV broadcast, he was overly complimentary of SLU.

I said May and Chaifetz should have been at the door with a contract for him to sign.

LOL, pull up one my old posts from last year when Howland was doing the color commentating of a Bills game TV broadcast, he was overly complimentary of SLU.

I said May and Chaifetz should have been at the door with a contract for him to sign.

LOL, I posted similar things.