Changes in Branding for Athletics

As the official "Mikey" on the board, I have to say that I like it, at least the Billiken himself. I'm confused about the logotype -- was that weirdo retro cursive one for real? Are there multiple logotypes?

And the U. logo is a very nice refresh. Did Gus pronounce "fleur de lis" correctly? (Aw, I have to give him a pass on that one. I'd bet that >90% of this board doesn't know how to pronounce "fleur de lis." :P )

image.JPG

-he couldn't get Jon Smiff correct and you want him to get a French phrase?? if ever there was a call for them, this calls for Warning Points

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, let's analyze the dominant anthropomorphic fetures of the new Billiken, which I do like so this is not intended as a put down on the Billiken or SLU. The new Billiken has as salient features a strong jaw with a smile which are the dominating features of the ensemble. These features denote strength (stubbornness?) and friendliness. However these features may also denote someone who may talk incessantly (the mouth is the main feature), like my ex mother in law. The open eye has a certain look of amusement to it, the closed eye is closed; maybe this is a wink, maybe there is no eye (doubtful, there would be a patch there if there was no eye). The pointy ears are elfish and large, this creature will hear all that is said around it. Together with the large jaw and mouth this may be a combo indicative of gossip. There is a tuft of rebellious hair on top of the head. And, the brain is very small, not to call it miniscule.

MMMHH, talks a lot, gossips, is amused and is woefully equipped to think, certainly not deep thoughts. Voila! the new Billiken is a charicature of our culture. Lots of tweeting, not much thought involved. Not impressive from a higher education point of view, but certainly friendly looking and familiar or acceptable to vast numbers of people out there. I think it will be a successful logo. As a final thought, my wife thinks the new Billiken is scarier than the old one.

OK, let's analyze the dominant anthropomorphic fetures of the new Billiken, which I do like so this is not intended as a put down on the Billiken or SLU. The new Billiken has as salient features a

strong jaw with a smile which are the dominating features of the ensemble. These features denote strength (stubbornness?) and friendliness. However these features may also denote

someone who may talk incessantly (the mouth is the main feature), like my ex mother in law. The open eye has a certain look of amusement to it, the closed eye is closed; maybe this is a wink,

maybe there is no eye (doubtful, there would be a patch there if there was no eye). The pointy ears are elfish and large, this creature will hear all that is said around it. Together with the large jaw and

mouth this may be a combo indicative of gossip. There is a tuft of rebellious hair on top of the head. And, the brain is very small, not to call it miniscule.

MMMHH, talks a lot, gossips, is amused and is woefully equipped to think, certainly not deep thoughts. Voila! the new Billiken is a charicature

of our culture. Lots of tweeting, not much thought involved. Not impressive from a higher education point of view, but certainly friendly looking and familiar or acceptable to vast numbers of people out there. I think it will be a successful logo. As a final thought, my wife thinks the new Billiken is scarier than the old one.

I disagree. The Billiken is a deep thinker. He is also wiser than you, Old Guy.

This is much better than the Grinch mascot, a weird, goofy thing, or the original, pudgy, Buddah type Billiken.

The new one is strong, smiles at you while he kicks your ass.

It is tough to win a game when your uniform has something on it that looks like it would be pushed around, bullied.

I like it.

Like many others I don't hate the new university logo. I didn't dislike the old one, but "clean lines" is all the rage these days.

As for the Billiken, it's certainly not as bad as could have been, but that's not saying much. To me it seems like change only for change sake, and also not particularly original. Does anyone else think the new Billiken logo looks way too much like the TCU mascot?

B-avsiMIAAAVOg-.jpg

All in all, SLU is yet another causality in the long line of college "rebranding" efforts but Nike and others. Mercifully the damage here was minimal.

It was broke though. I believe the new logo will look much better on clothing and in turn lead to more people buying gear.

I agree that a new logo was needed and is a good thing, but I won't buy more gear than in the past based solely on the new logo. Hopefully the new logo leads to new/better options though, that could lead to me buying more SLU gear. Is there anywhere to get clothing with vintage Billiken logos like the one with the crown?

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Saint_Louis_Billikens_Mens/Saint_Louis_Billikens_Cure_T-Shirt_-_Royal_Blue

I've stared at this for 10 minutes and still don't know what the hell it means. Anyone figure it out?

Pretty sure it's a micro aggression and Pestello and the Pope will be forced to step down by Concerned Students 1818.

Or maybe just anti UD?

Really is a dumb shirt, for once I agree with you. I do advocate sharia law penalties for anyone that wears this in public

Pretty sure it's a micro aggression and Pestello and the Pope will be forced to step down by Concerned Students 1818.

Or maybe just anti UD?

Really is a dumb shirt, for once I agree with you. I do advocate sharia law penalties for anyone that wears this in public

Why you violating his safe space?