Changes in Branding for Athletics

-bonwich, curious where's the line on this? I'm all for buying or supporting local and try to live that. Should admittance preference be given to Johnny Vianney over Pete from Peoria?

That is easy. Pete from Peoria all the way.

I can see arguments on both sides of the local/not argument. In this scenario, I think there are more positives to staying local - although that is clouded by the hindsight of a 'meh' result on everything. The University needs to do what is in the best interests of the university, but should always try to go local/alumni all else being relatively equal. There is a lot more to be gained from that sort of relationship than there is from random agency x in random metro area y.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is easy. Pete from Peoria all the way.

I can see arguments on both sides of the local/not argument. In this scenario, I think there are more positives to staying local - although that is clouded by the hindsight of a 'meh' result on everything. The University needs to do what is in the best interests of the university, but should always try to go local/alumni all else being relatively equal. There is a lot more to be gained from that sort of relationship than there is from random agency x in random metro area y.

-Dr Chaifetz is from NYC and was apparently financially challenged, just sayin'

Had the chance to go into the bookstore today and see the new merchandise. While I am someone who is a fan of the rebranding effort and think the logos look pretty sharp on apparel, I was disappointed in the merchandise that is already out. The designs on some of the items are very sharp and look like great shirts and so forth, but the material that they have been printed on is sub-par. A lot of is is champion apparel, which sometimes can be nice but on the new items it feels cheap. It might be smart to l hold out until some of the new Nike and Under Armour items roll out, of which there was only 1 I saw at this point.

The University needs to do what is in the best interests of the university, but should always try to go local/alumni all else being relatively equal. There is a lot more to be gained from that sort of relationship than there is from random agency x in random metro area y.

This. It's my basic point. I don't know whether SLU implemented this approach for the rebrand, nor do I know if it has a standing policy to use this approach. I do know that there are several marketing and graphic design agencies in St. Louis who had at least the qualifications of the folks who did the rebrand, and who could have done a job of at least equal quality to what was provided.

I also know that at least a few of those agencies, knowing St. Louis and SLU well from either prior experience or actual attendance there, would have at least counseled SLU to handle the rollout better.

For the record, even SPUMAC has this written into its procurement policies (and it's not a state mandate -- it's from the system Board of Curators):

24. The Curators of the University of Missouri have adopted a policy which is binding upon all employees and departments of the University, and which by contract shall be binding upon independent contractors and subcontractors with the University, whereby all other things being equal, and when the same can be secured without additional cost over foreign products, or products of other states, a preference shall be granted in all construction, repair and purchase contracts, to all products, commodities, materials, supplies and articles mined, grown, produced and manufactured in marketable quantity in the State of Missouri and to all firms, corporations or individuals doing business as Missouri, firms, corporations, or individuals. By virtue of the foregoing policy, preferences will be given to materials, products, supplies, or provisions, and all other articles produced, manufactured, mined or grown within the State of Missouri, and to all firms, corporations or individuals doing business as Missouri firms, corporations or individuals. Each bidder submitting a proposal agrees to comply with and be bound by the foregoing policy.

Had the chance to go into the bookstore today and see the new merchandise. While I am someone who is a fan of the rebranding effort and think the logos look pretty sharp on apparel, I was disappointed in the merchandise that is already out. The designs on some of the items are very sharp and look like great shirts and so forth, but the material that they have been printed on is sub-par. A lot of is is champion apparel, which sometimes can be nice but on the new items it feels cheap. It might be smart to l hold out until some of the new Nike and Under Armour items roll out, of which there was only 1 I saw at this point.

a lot of the stuff is cheaply screen printed on sweatshirts and tees. Not exactly exciting

Did the Nike pullover and polos finally get your dick hard?

Us out of towners will just have to imagine what all this stuff looks like, or plan a trip when the bookstore and/or arena store are open. It's unfortunate there isn't any way to sell that stuff to people that don't live in the area via something like a computer and UPS or something.

Us out of towners will just have to imagine what all this stuff looks like, or plan a trip when the bookstore and/or arena store are open. It's unfortunate there isn't any way to sell that stuff to people that don't live in the area via something like a computer and UPS or something.

I'll agree that's less the ideal. Idk how to improve that given they outsource the stores operation.

They aren't available online that I know of. At the arena

05 was rocking out a sweet pullover last night. Solid upgrade from the game worn jersey that was never washed.

You're a big fan why haven't you been to the last 2 games?

Went to the St. Francis game, left for Thanksgivinf break yesterday afternoon but watched on laptop. Went into the arena store and bookstore after the unveiling and the owner said more stuff would be posted the upcoming Sunday. I have checked online everyday since and have not been impressed. I'll go back once I return to school. Do I pass the "fan" test?

Went to the St. Francis game, left for Thanksgivinf break yesterday afternoon but watched on laptop. Went into the arena store and bookstore after the unveiling and the owner said more stuff would be posted the upcoming Sunday. I have checked online everyday since and have not been impressed. I'll go back once I return to school. Do I pass the "fan" test?

they had the new nike gear at The stf game.