Grandy Glazed off into the sunset

I agree -- I had just never seen an entire student body use altitude that way. I think most Mountain West foes (save for Fresno, SDSU, SJSU and Hawaii) are pretty acclimated to their own local altitude. Mexico City 68 was a little before my time, Old Guy -- Fosbury Flop and the famous black power salute are all etched in the minds of most sports fans when recalling those summer games.

Bob Beamon's 29' 2 long jump as well, a record which lasted 23 years.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised New Mexico has expressed interest in Grandy. I recall Harriman speaking very highly of GG in an interview with Rammer. Grandy was in the rotation on two of the best SLU teams in the modern era. Of course he was not a star, but he did have some key contributions to team success. In 2012-13, the team is scuffling early in conference play. GG gets a double-double in a game we struggled to win at Duquesne. The team goes on a roll after that. In 2013-14, GG gets double-digit rebounds in a tough victory at Vandy.

It's interesting the perceptions people have of different players. GG will often get ripped, yet guys like Tom Frerichs, who was a mediocre starter on a mediocre team is held in high regard by some for giving "great effort" and "doing the little things." As a sophomore, GG was limited by a serious shoulder injury. As a junior he put up 3.8 ppg and 4.5 rpg in just 12 mpg. With a healthy shoulder, he shot 70% from the free throw line. Not great, but gave great effort and served a role. Sometimes I think GG's biggest problem with some fans is he wasn't from St. Charles or Washington, Mo. As a sophomore, Chris Sloan averaged 3 ppg and 3 rpg in 20 mpg for a mediocre team. As a junior, he averaged 7.6 ppg and 3.8 in 25 minutes of play. Not great production in those minutes. In 2005-06, Luke Meyer had a whopping 3.9 ppg and 2.4 rpg in 17 minutes on a mediocre squad.

I think GG's main problem was his shoulder. Shoulders are not mechanical parts that are broken or not broken. Shoulders, particularly after significant injury (like the one he had in his sophomore year) may never fully recover and are prone to sustain subsequent partial injuries which are by themselves not disabling for the joint but which limit its function to some degree. Situations such as these tend to generate repetitive small injuries which eventually really limit joint function. I cannot but think that GG played with a partially injured shoulder during his Junior year. In such cases the injury becomes chronic and much harder to repair. He could not play during his senior year because of this, and had surgery as we know. The real question with GG is whether his shoulder is ready to play or not. This is something that is not easy to evaluate. I do not think he will be able to play fully with that shoulder, however he may be able to make a valuable contribution to his team next year, or perhaps not...

Not surprised New Mexico has expressed interest in Grandy. I recall Harriman speaking very highly of GG in an interview with Rammer. Grandy was in the rotation on two of the best SLU teams in the modern era. Of course he was not a star, but he did have some key contributions to team success. In 2012-13, the team is scuffling early in conference play. GG gets a double-double in a game we struggled to win at Duquesne. The team goes on a roll after that. In 2013-14, GG gets double-digit rebounds in a tough victory at Vandy.

It's interesting the perceptions people have of different players. GG will often get ripped, yet guys like Tom Frerichs, who was a mediocre starter on a mediocre team is held in high regard by some for giving "great effort" and "doing the little things." As a sophomore, GG was limited by a serious shoulder injury. As a junior he put up 3.8 ppg and 4.5 rpg in just 12 mpg. With a healthy shoulder, he shot 70% from the free throw line. Not great, but gave great effort and served a role. Sometimes I think GG's biggest problem with some fans is he wasn't from St. Charles or Washington, Mo. As a sophomore, Chris Sloan averaged 3 ppg and 3 rpg in 20 mpg for a mediocre team. As a junior, he averaged 7.6 ppg and 3.8 in 25 minutes of play. Not great production in those minutes. In 2005-06, Luke Meyer had a whopping 3.9 ppg and 2.4 rpg in 17 minutes on a mediocre squad.

John Manning was also on the team so should he also receive props? Billiken HOF for John?

3.8 pts along with 4.5 boards a game in 12.8 minutes in his last year playing. That comes to 7.6 and 9 in 26 mpg. Points aren't great but the boards are fantastic. He also shot 48% from the field and 70% from the line. Were we a good team in 13' - '14? Looks to me like he was a good bench/role player for a good team. So why would anyone think he couldn't do that again for a good team?

Skip. Why stop at 26 mpg? 3.8 pts in 12.8 mpg is 11.875 for 40 minutes!! OMG, no wonder we struggled last year without those 12 mpg!! Seriously, stats can be so misleading. Last I checked, minutes are earned and not given or assumed for stat purposes. The reason that GG never played more than 12.8 mpg is b/c he was not good enough to play 26 mpg much less 40 mpg. GG was never the target or offensive threat --- ever. GG rarely got the ball in the post as our primary threat. Instead, he let the other 4 handle the offense and decided he would rebound for them and play hard-nosed defense. Well, that's fine to a point --- 12.8 mpg with 4 really good offensive players like RL, JJ, MM and DE --- but let's not act like GG was anything other an energy guy who had minimal success rebounding b/c he conceded being an offensive threat.

John Manning was also on the team so should he also receive props? Billiken HOF for John?

No and no.

If GG played on less talented Billiken teams like LM, CS and TF, he gets more minutes in his career and puts up comparable or better numbers as them.

No and no.

If GG played on less talented Billiken teams like LM, CS and TF, he gets more minutes in his career and puts up comparable or better numbers as them.

Not if jump shot shooting % is still a number. GG couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat

No and no.

Grandy Glaze love fest.

Glaze never plays ahead of Meyer or Sloan.

Remember Lancona looked good playing with Evans, Jett, McCall, and Loe too.

Glaze = Varner

Grandy Glaze love fest.

Glaze never plays ahead of Meyer or Sloan.

Remember Lancona looked good playing with Evans, Jett, McCall, and Loe too.

Glaze = Varner

Nothing will equal the Meyer/Sloan lovefests we've seen on this board. They played hard and were scrappy. Sloan's 3 ppg and 3 rpg in 20 mpg on a mediocre team was just spectacular.

Varner does not get in the rotation on the two NCAA teams that GG got minutes on, so you are way off on that comparison. In fact, Varner is not even offered a scholarship.

Skip. Why stop at 26 mpg? 3.8 pts in 12.8 mpg is 11.875 for 40 minutes!! OMG, no wonder we struggled last year without those 12 mpg!! Seriously, stats can be so misleading. Last I checked, minutes are earned and not given or assumed for stat purposes. The reason that GG never played more than 12.8 mpg is b/c he was not good enough to play 26 mpg much less 40 mpg. GG was never the target or offensive threat --- ever. GG rarely got the ball in the post as our primary threat. Instead, he let the other 4 handle the offense and decided he would rebound for them and play hard-nosed defense. Well, that's fine to a point --- 12.8 mpg with 4 really good offensive players like RL, JJ, MM and DE --- but let's not act like GG was anything other an energy guy who had minimal success rebounding b/c he conceded being an offensive threat.

Why are you such an #$@hole?

I'm not sure what you read. What I said was he was a role/bench player and did a decent job in that role for a good team. Someone said he couldn't fulfil that role for a good team and I was just pointing out he already has

Nothing will equal the Meyer/Sloan lovefests we've seen on this board. They played hard and were scrappy. Sloan's 3 ppg and 3 rpg in 20 mpg on a mediocre team was just spectacular.

Varner does not get in the rotation on the two NCAA teams that GG got minutes on, so you are way off on that comparison. In fact, Varner is not even offered a scholarship.

So you are comparing Sloan's freshman year totals to Glaze's cumulative stats? Sloan was a defensive stopper early in his career. Later on he became a more well rounded player. C'mon you are better than that. Sophomore, Jr and Sr year Sloan is easily a rotation player on both the 11-12 & 12-13 teams. He starts and plays heavy minutes on the 13-14 team. Grandy would have never gotten off the bench his entire career if Sloan is on the same team with him. A Sloan level player added to the roster makes Glaze expendable, Majerus never offers him a scholarship.

Can Glaze lovers defend this? SLU the last 4 seasons while being a good to average defensive rebounding team was a horrible offensive rebounding team. Some of it is scheme of course...but it did hurt those teams to never have any O boards. Yet on our roster we had a player who is lauded on this board as being a great offensive rebounder. Yet he received little to no playing time? Instead we usually went with a 3 guard lineup playing an offensively challenged swingman over Grandy. Offensive rebounding was our biggest weakness, yet we don't address it by simply giving Grandy more time? Think of all the garbage buckets we missed out on.

I really don't mean to pile on Grandy but the facts are 1. Despite his strengths being the teams weaknesses he never got playing time. 2. He was always hurt. 3. He was a headcase. Good luck to him wherever he lands but portraying him as a valuable member of any of our NCAA tourney teams is nonsense. Not holding him accountable at least partially for the dysfunction within the team that occurred last season is also nonsense. Even if he was a contributor on the prior seasons teams, his lack of leadership and direction helped cause the disaster that was last season. It negates anything positive, which isn't much, that was accomplished earlier in his career.

Rothstein says New Mex, Wyoming and Grand Canyon (the one with the commercials?) are in the mix

Grand Canyon is interesting. I believe they're the first for-profit Division I basketball program. Dan Majerle is their coach.

I knew all the powerhouse schools would be all over McBroom and Glaze once they transferred.

Hearing Lancona is gonna to visit the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

I knew all the powerhouse schools would be all over McBroom and Glaze once they transferred.

Hearing Lancona is gonna to visit the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

UC SCruz...a weak D3...Lower than Wash U & Webster.....equal to Westminister (Fulton)...you might say they are slugs...course that would be a compliment

Geez, everyone else knows our players stink too.

I hope we are done recruiting the pretty boys who like selfies more than practicing.

Not really surprised Lancona will go D3. He is a non-rebounding stretch 4 who shot about 13% from 3 this year. It is absolutely crazy to think he was getting major mins down the stretch In the tourney win against NC St.

UC SCruz...a weak D3...Lower than Wash U & Webster.....equal to Westminister (Fulton)...you might say they are slugs...course that would be a compliment

You track D-3 teams?