Shaka gone?

wgstl

Arkansas had elite players: Todd Day. Lee Mayberry. Oliver Miller. Corliss Williamson. All first round picks who had legit NBA careers.

Maybe Shaka can get that caliber of player at Texas, but he didn't have them at VCU.

He's not a bad coach, but I just think he'd plateaued at VCU.

If VCU replaces him with a better Xs and Os guy who can also recruit the same caliber of players Shaka was getting and they'll be better off.

Oh that would be easy to do - is that not what all the mid majors are trying to hire.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that would be easy to do - is that not what all the mid majors are trying to hire.

VCU are much more established in terms of fanbase/national exposure than "all the mid majors"...it would be a fantastic landing spot for even the most sought after up and comers.

Barnes has at least 1 NBA draftee for ten years. IIRC. Kevin Durant, TJ Ford etc. Texas can get ranked (edited damn autocorrect) players. Hell aTm has 3rd ranked recruiting class all TX guys.

Arkansas had elite players: Todd Day. Lee Mayberry. Oliver Miller. Corliss Williamson. All first round picks who had legit NBA careers.

Maybe Shaka can get that caliber of player at Texas, but he didn't have them at VCU.

He's not a bad coach, but I just think he'd plateaued at VCU.

If VCU replaces him with a better Xs and Os guy who can also recruit the same caliber of players Shaka was getting and they'll be better off.

Will be interesting to see if VCU pursues an established coach or someone up and coming under the radar...

Do they have an assistant on staff now to promote? Xaxier always did this. Not sure how VCU has done this in the past. Any know?

Do they have an assistant on staff now to promote? Xaxier always did this. Not sure how VCU has done this in the past. Any know?

The two people I've read about are Mike Rhoades (VCU assistant from 09-14 and now the head coach at Rice) and Will Wade (VCU assistant from 09-13 and now head coach at Chattanooga). Both are very young...Rhoades is 42, Wade is 32. Wade has turned around Chattanooga pretty quickly in only 2 years (40-25 with a 22 win season this year). I think both of those guys would continue with the Havoc tradition.

As far as current assistants, one is a recently promoted DBO, one is an ex-Tulsa assistant coach, and the other one is an ex-Tulsa/ex-Vanderbilt assistant coach. They're all pretty recent hires/promotions so I'd be surprised if any of them took over.

If VCU makes the right hire they'll be better off in the long run. Shaka is a great motivator and seems to be a good recruiter, but he is no Rick Majerus when it comes to X's and O's.

VCU is very much a national brand now and they are committed to winning. As much as I have despised Havoc at times their future is very bright IMO.

It seems to me people are discounting what Shaka has done. I despise the brand of ball, however to act as if you don't have to be a good X's and O's coach to do well in it ... I disagree. Running a good trapping defense takes a lot of work, coordination and teamwork. It's just as hard to get right as it is to run a good motion offense. Players have to be in the right spots, take the right angles, and help.

Imo what his teams lack are the basic fundamentals and rely more on athleticism than basketball skills. He'll be able to get the same caliber athletes at UT and probably a level higher in skills. I like most question whether you can win it all with Havoc, but it's been a long time since there was a team playing it with the caliber of players he'll have access to at Texas.

I keep hearing "if they can hire a coach who can recruit just as well but be better at the X's and O's they'll continue on or even be better. Who the heck is that? How many schools outside the Big 6 have remained top 20-25 type programs for extended periods of time? These coaches don't grow on trees. They'll be lucky to rplace Shaka and maintain their recent success.

The two people I've read about are Mike Rhoades (VCU assistant from 09-14 and now the head coach at Rice) and Will Wade (VCU assistant from 09-13 and now head coach at Chattanooga). Both are very young...Rhoades is 42, Wade is 32. Wade has turned around Chattanooga pretty quickly in only 2 years (40-25 with a 22 win season this year). I think both of those guys would continue with the Havoc tradition.

As far as current assistants, one is a recently promoted DBO, one is an ex-Tulsa assistant coach, and the other one is an ex-Tulsa/ex-Vanderbilt assistant coach. They're all pretty recent hires/promotions so I'd be surprised if any of them took over.

The VCU Athletic Director stated that he wants a coach to continue to play HAVOC, so those two are likely 1A and 1B. I read that one of the assistants is heading to Austin. I agree with For DaLove that VCU could be better off with a coach that has a better offense than Shaka ran, and also because the annual Shaka Dance is now over.

If VCU makes the right hire they'll be better off in the long run. Shaka is a great motivator and seems to be a good recruiter, but he is no Rick Majerus when it comes to X's and O's.

VCU is very much a national brand now and they are committed to winning. As much as I have despised Havoc at times their future is very bright IMO.

Well, no sh*t Shaka isn't majerus when it comes to X's and O's. There are probably less than 5 current coaches who get close to equaling Majerus' basketball acumen. Is anyone actually advancing that argument?

Agree with skip, shaka is a good coach and a great recruiter. He's going to have a lot of success at Texas.

Well, no sh*t Shaka isn't majerus when it comes to X's and O's. There are probably less than 5 current coaches who get close to equaling Majerus' basketball acumen. Is anyone actually advancing that argument?

Agree with skip, shaka is a good coach and a great recruiter. He's going to have a lot of success at Texas.

I shouldn't have used that comparison. That isn't fair. My point is I question how good of an in game coach Shaka is. And I think their program is big enough now to keep bringing in good recruiting classes. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Do you guys think he'll be able to keep playing the same type of basketball at Texas? Will one and done type guys buy in enough to run it? I don't know, but I think they are valid questions.

I shouldn't have used that comparison. That isn't fair. My point is I question how good of an in game coach Shaka is. And I think their program is big enough now to keep bringing in good recruiting classes. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Do you guys think he'll be able to keep playing the same type of basketball at Texas? Will one and done type guys buy in enough to run it? I don't know, but I think they are valid questions.

I agree VCU will be fine.

It doesn't seem Shaka has a backup plan/adjustment for when havoc is relatively ineffective. I think 1 and done bigs are the least impacted by havoc so I think he'll have success recruiting these guys. I think havoc appeals to more recruits than some (not you) are suggesting.

I recently met the father of one of VCU's players. Very nice guy. He knew Shaka and told me a story about how Shaka was recruiting a player who, of course, was being recruited by another team. The player's father came to Shaka and said, "Well, XYZ University offered us $xx,xxx, what will you offer?" Shaka told him that he was done recruiting his son. According to this guy, who I believe, Shaka didn't play that game at VCU (which I admire).

So, what does that mean for coaching and recruiting at a school like Texas?

Rhoades was previously a HC at DIII Randolph-Macon (north of Richmond). Rhoades has to take a lot of credit for the F4 in 2011. He convinced Shaka to run zone, and Rhoades ran most of the offense. If you watch tape of that run, you'd see an amazingly run offense - the likes of which we haven't seen in Richmond since.

Last summer before his first season, Rhoades received a 3* commit and then just received a verbal from a 4* for 2016. Again these are great recruits for a school like Rice. He knows most of the current players and can recruit well. He'd be an upgrade at Xs and Os, but won't have the name brand and popularity with the media.

VCU offered north of 2.5 mm/year to keep Shaka to come awfully close to match Texas' initial offer. He just thought he could be more successful at Texas.

I recently met the father of one of VCU's players. Very nice guy. He knew Shaka and told me a story about how Shaka was recruiting a player who, of course, was being recruited by another team. The player's father came to Shaka and said, "Well, XYZ University offered us $xx,xxx, what will you offer?" Shaka told him that he was done recruiting his son. According to this guy, who I believe, Shaka didn't play that game at VCU (which I admire).

OK, Smart gets a big high five because he did not break the rules? Sorry, I don't think we should be patting him on the back. I know others cheat but that does not make those who don't some kind of saint.

OK, Smart gets a big high five because he did not break the rules? Sorry, I don't think we should be patting him on the back. I know others cheat but that does not make those who don't some kind of saint.

Who pisses in your corn flakes EVERY morning? Are you ever positive? No one is proposing beatification; it was a simple comment about a situation which, at some big BCS schools like Texas, may prove to have different outcomes. Obviously, you do not have an opinion on the question I raised which is perfectly fine, but what motivates you to make such a sarcastic, cynical comment? I have to admit though, when I see someone like you, I always feel thankful that I don't go through life seeing the negative in everyone and everything. Serious suggestion: Try to think of a positive, noncynical comment next time you reply to someone. Try it, just a few times. I will bet you will feel better. Good luck.

The media has already bought into what Shaka is selling. They will do their part to market him as the hot, young new face of the Big 12. Recruiting will actually be a lot easier than at VCU.

And he doesn't need one and doners to run Havoc so there's no need to fill his roster with Hamburger All Americans. He just needs great athletes. But now Shaka will also have access to more skilled offensive players. If he can recruit top 50 guys and get the occasional one and doner, that will be a lot more offensive talent than he's ever had. A program that is disruptive on defense and also has an above average offense is going to make it to the Sweet 16 on a regular basis.