Shaka gone?

wgstl

@CDiSano44: Wish Smart the best. Class act. Fit was right. VCU will b fine. That's difference b/t a team & a program. Cont'd buy-in. Make nxt great hire

The difference between a team and a program.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25133700/shaka-smart-leaves-vcu-for-texas

Shaka to TEXAS is a done deal according to multiple sources.

So he previously turned down UCLA, USC, NCSt, Maryland, Ill, and Wake Forest now takes UT job.

How does that jive with the list of top positions posted on this board? Pretty awesome when you think about it because there's some traditional power houses in that list. I've often heard Richmond is like Austin so maybe Shaka likes the character of the city. I think Austin is the coolest town in the world and has so much to offer. That plus fertile recruiting grounds in DFW (3 hr drive) and Houston (2 1/2 hr drive) with no true significant basketball powerhouses to battle for in state recruits. Can Shaka do for UT what Donovan did for UF?

The A10 just took a big hit. Maybe bigger than how Butler only stuck around for one ###### year and moved on

Not even close to losing Butler. VCU has gone through 3 head coaches now and not missed a beat.

The "Shaka is leaving VCU" yearly show is over?, hard to believe. Well, good luck to you in the next school. VCU will be fine.

Agree. If anything I expect it to hurt perception of the A-10 more than the VCU program. The conference has been using him as the face ever since VCU joined. Not sure who's going to step into that void, but I'm sure VCU will find someone to keep putting good teams on the court.

Agree. If anything I expect it to hurt perception of the A-10 more than the VCU program. The conference has been using him as the face ever since VCU joined. Not sure who's going to step into that void, but I'm sure VCU will find someone to keep putting good teams on the court.

Archie

With the right hire I think VCU is better off without Shaka.

No doubt he built the program, and got them to the dance every year, was able to get top 100 recruits to buy into his system, and had a pipeline of long physical players who could employ his pressing style.

but he wasn't Brad Stevens or Rick Majerus when it comes to Xs and Os...and after going to the Final 4 in his first NCAA tournament, he's been unable to get back to the sweet 16 and the last 2 years his teams have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the round of 64.

Havoc is style over substance. It's basically committing fouls at faster rate than the officials can call them. It works a lot better at home where they were virtually unbeatable until Weber got hurt. It doesn't work as well on neutral courts and against teams that have the ball handlers to break the press.

With the right hire I think VCU is better off without Shaka.

No doubt he built the program, and got them to the dance every year, was able to get top 100 recruits to buy into his system, and had a pipeline of long physical players who could employ his pressing style.

but he wasn't Brad Stevens or Rick Majerus when it comes to Xs and Os...and after going to the Final 4 in his first NCAA tournament, he's been unable to get back to the sweet 16 and the last 2 years his teams have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the round of 64.

Havoc is style over substance. It's basically committing fouls at faster rate than the officials can call them. It works a lot better at home where they were virtually unbeatable until Weber got hurt. It doesn't work as well on neutral courts and against teams that have the ball handlers to break the press.

Except for when they adjusted from losing two of their best players and then winning 5 games in a row including the A10 tournament.

40 Minutes of Hell won at Arkansas. I think Shaka's system works and there are weaknesses in all schemes. The weakness in this one was exposed by a very disciplined SLU team running a very good half court offense. Not all teams are that disciplined. Running the scheme with even better athletes could be exceptional. He and VCU are easily hatable the bravado and gimmick name is annoying but looking past that they've achieved and done well.

Except for when they adjusted from losing two of their best players and then winning 5 games in a row including the A10 tournament.

40 Minutes of Hell won at Arkansas. I think Shaka's system works and there are weaknesses in all schemes. The weakness in this one was exposed by a very disciplined SLU team running a very good half court offense. Not all teams are that disciplined. Running the scheme with even better athletes could be exceptional. He and VCU are easily hatable the bravado and gimmick name is annoying but looking past that they've achieved and done well.

Arkansas had elite players: Todd Day. Lee Mayberry. Oliver Miller. Corliss Williamson. All first round picks who had legit NBA careers.

Maybe Shaka can get that caliber of player at Texas, but he didn't have them at VCU.

He's not a bad coach, but I just think he'd plateaued at VCU.

If VCU replaces him with a better Xs and Os guy who can also recruit the same caliber of players Shaka was getting and they'll be better off.

Arkansas had elite players: Todd Day. Lee Mayberry. Oliver Miller. Corliss Williamson. All first round picks who had legit NBA careers.

Maybe Shaka can get that caliber of player at Texas, but he didn't have them at VCU.

He's not a bad coach, but I just think he'd plateaued at VCU.

If VCU replaces him with a better Xs and Os guy who can also recruit the same caliber of players Shaka was getting and they'll be better off.

Besides Mark Few, what coach making high mid-major money fits that description?