Putting Up Your Dukes (GDT)

Taj79

It's befuddling when you don't know what's actually happening. We're making assumptions that it's based on play, could be. I don't know. Maybe he did something else when he came out of the game that warranted sitting that long. Coach Crews wasn't doing this the last 2 years. What's changed? The players.

MY's mysterious absence aside, what message does it send to RA when JM gets more minutes than RA? JM doesn't even give a sh1t out there and I can see that from here. From all accounts RA is busting his butt and the improvement is noticeable. Yet, JC has been inconsistent at best with RA's time.

We ran a lineup out in the 2nd half that completely lost control of the game. Were RA, MB, and MY all in the doghouse (RA's doghouse wasn't as big).

Where did AM go this year? AM has deficiencies, but he was solid early in the season. Honestly, it seems to me that JC is losing some of these guys. TL, no improvement and rumored to be gone. JM, no improvement and definitely gone. AM banished to the bench and wouldn't be surprised if he left. MY benched for long periods when he makes mistakes, which isn't consistent with JC's treatment of others. I wouldn't be surprised if MY is fed up and leaves and MY isn't (or wasn't earlier in the season) a head case.

Our defense hasn't improved. We still double big men down low leaving shooters (and lanes) wide open all day long. What is our offense? Do the kids know? Does JC know?

There are serious questions to be asked of JC. And yes, our players also play a role in many of the above factors. But what evidence is there that we are any better as a team at Game #27 than we were at Game #1?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given up on lineups. You guys should too. It's more fun.

Yarbrough is a stud but for some reason all his big games come in losses.

3 rebounds, 4 assists, 9 points for Crawford. I'll take that. Even if the points came at the end. At least he didn't quit.

Yacoubou has no flow on offense. 0-8.

Roby was off especially from the line but again he doesn't quit.

Bartley is a shooter. That's not a knock on him. He's slow to move the ball on offense at times but so is Reynolds. Just stop picking up your dribble Marcus.

McBroom. He's in Cali right?

Manning. I'm sorry but he's just going through the motions.

I guess Jolly was still hurt.

Gillmann. 4 assists. Yay.

7 rebounds for Reggie. Everything else is gravy

Lancona. He's in Cali too.

Hopefully we beat Mason. They're beatable. So is Bonaventure.

Jolly came in at the end, right? I think Crews just likes effing with people on the lineups. He played eight the first 30+ minutes, then throws Lancona out there for some reason.

The announcers mentioned Jolly met the team in Pittsburgh a day late because he was sick

Billikens win: "The future is bright" "Crews just plain out coached xxxxx." "We have a lot of potential" "We could run the table and make noise in the tournament"

Billikens lose: "We suck" "There's no improvement in the team" "We're in trouble" and of course, the obligatory "Fire Crews"

Bi-polar disorder has a new face: Billikens' fans

Billikens win: "The future is bright" "Crews just plain out coached xxxxx." "We have a lot of potential" "We could run the table and make noise in the tournament"

Billikens lose: "We suck" "There's no improvement in the team" "We're in trouble" and of course, the obligatory "Fire Crews"

It's one thing to lose and another to get blown out by bottom feeder teams (see Fordham and Duquesne)

Once Bartley stops picking up his dribble as soon as he gets to the perimeter he could be a decent point guard.

But I don't see much in him outside of being a shooter

Totally see your point, but I'd much rather a player come into the program with shooting as a skill, and hope we can develop the other attributes vs. the other way around... given our recent track record with outside shooting/improvements.

Just some stats:

With last night's 0-8 performance, Yacoubou has missed 21 straight shots on the road. He's shooting 11% over his last 4 road games.

Bartley is averaging 14.5 PPG vs Duquesne. 3.9 PPG against everyone else.

Bartley has moved passed McBroom in 3FG% and Crawford is .02% behind.

Crawford and Roby will very likely end as our third and fourth leading scorers this season.

Yarbough 8.3 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 1.9 TPG, and 2.2 APG in wins. 12.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 2.1 TPG and 0.9 APG in losses.

More speculation since none of us knows the facts, but here goes:

Milik was on his way to an 8 turnover game. He's as careless with the ball now as he was at the start of the season. If you can't bench your best player at the end of a developmental season, when can you bench him?

Now, I agree with that disciplining tactic in principle. But realistically, there is nobody behind Malik on the bench who can push him to be better. All you do by benching him is give the game to the other team.

It's only a few more games. You'd hope the coach could swallow his pride in pursuit of a couple more wins. Then in the spring he can bring in an alternative to Malik at the 4 spot. Because we have alternatives to Malik at the guard positions. Next season, if Malik is having one of those high turnovers games, Crews can go to another guard without a significant drop off in offense. But benching your 4 man this year when you've got nothing behind him but Lancona (now that Reggie is playing the 5) is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm not sure the same people are saying both of these things.

I also don't think blind faith in Crews is particularly useful.

Substitutions patterns of JC do have me confused. A few questions in that I missed a few parts of the second half and my feed also went out twice:

1..Is the consensus that MY was on the bench from the 14 minute mark to the 3 minute mark as suggested by majerus mojo?

2, Was this the same time that JM and TL received playing time? I doubt both played 12 straight minutes but did get time during this time frame.

3. How many of Ash's 8 shots were non-layups. IMO, streaky is an understatement when used to described Ash.

4. AG may have assists and good hands, but he is simply not blocking out his man or putting a body on him. IMO, until he does this, he simply should not be playing the minutes he has. Again, I like his future and I do want the youngsters to get playing time.. but they must earn the playing and do the basics: block out their man, use screens, properly set screens, cover their man on the perimeter, get a hand up in the shooter's face...

5. I have sure not heard much from Jim Crews himself this year. Am I missing the article, post game interviews, radio show? Is no one asking him direct questions?

Substitutions patterns of JC do have me confused. A few questions in that I missed a few parts of the second half and my feed also went out twice:

1..Is the consensus that MY was on the bench from the 14 minute mark to the 3 minute mark as suggested by majerus mojo?

2, Was this the same time that JM and TL received playing time? I doubt both played 12 straight minutes but did get time during this time frame.

3. How many of Ash's 8 shots were non-layups. IMO, streaky is an understatement when used to described Ash.

4. AG may have assists and good hands, but he is simply not blocking out his man or putting a body on him. IMO, until he does this, he simply should not be playing the minutes he has. Again, I like his future and I do want the youngsters to get playing time.. but they must earn the playing and do the basics: block out their man, use screens, properly set screens, cover their man on the perimeter, get a hand up in the shooter's face...

5. I have sure not heard much from Jim Crews himself this year. Am I missing the article, post game interviews, radio show? Is no one asking him direct questions?

1. Subbed out with 13:59 to go. Returned with 3:55 left

2. Lancona came in for him. He was subbed out after a little less than 2 minutes. Reggie played the rest

3. According to ESPN play by play. He missed 4 jumpers and 4 layups

4. Crews insists on playing with a true 5 most of the time. I guess he's our best option.I disagree with the idea though.

5. The PD doesn't send anyone on road games anymore and our other media members ask cupcake questions.

More speculation since none of us knows the facts, but here goes:

Milik was on his way to an 8 turnover game. He's as careless with the ball now as he was at the start of the season. If you can't bench your best player at the end of a developmental season, when can you bench him?

Now, I agree with that disciplining tactic in principle. But realistically, there is nobody behind Malik on the bench who can push him to be better. All you do by benching him is give the game to the other team.

It's only a few more games. You'd hope the coach could swallow his pride in pursuit of a couple more wins. Then in the spring he can bring in an alternative to Malik at the 4 spot. Because we have alternatives to Malik at the guard positions. Next season, if Malik is having one of those high turnovers games, Crews can go to another guard without a significant drop off in offense. But benching your 4 man this year when you've got nothing behind him but Lancona (now that Reggie is playing the 5) is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

-IF MY is going to the bench because of turnovers or defense or anything else he seems banished there longer than other players making much the same mistakes

-I don't see coaches going to him on the bench while he is there - maybe there is a reason for no coaching visits but the only ones coming to mind are not good

Gillmann played 23 minutes and had zero points. If you add Manning, Lancona and Jolly, they all combined for 0 points. Needless to say, our bigs are brutal. Keep giving RA more minutes. Neufeld definitely has an opportunity to get some major minutes if he has any game. I'm just not expecting much from Wellmer.

It looks like AM is being phased out. They either know he is leaving or want him to leave. For a team that is offensively challenged, it seems we could be getting more out of McBroom.

Things are worse than I thought they would be at this point in the season.