The Dukes from a Couch in Ames, Iowa

Taj79

I really don't understand the substitution patterns. I thought we has pretty much settled into a rotation, but I guess not. I know it can be a relatively fluid situation that can potentially fluctuate from game to game, but we weren't up by THAT much.

For the most part we played really well on the offensive end and, in my opinion, really poorly on the defensive one.

I got the feeling being up 15-20 vs. a team of Duquesne's caliber did have a pretty big impact on the rotation. Only explanation for giving MR, TL, BJ so much run. Almost like a non-con Dec. game.

Bartley had to have been benched for celebrating. Putting up the 1 finger will not go over well with a Bobby Knight disciple.

Yarbrough is so good. He should have had double digit assists.

I didn't think Reynolds was awful. Not fantastic, but he plays better defense than Bartley.

We played much better offensively without McBroom. Hopefully this lineup continues. McBroom has to find his role and it is not as the lead guard.

Also I thought Jolly gave some decent minutes. An improvement.

Sorry, if this is true then JC will not get any kid to come who is worth anything. By the way, he had just hit is 4th 3 in 4 minutes - cut the kid some slack. I don't think that was it at all - RM let them celebrate like MB did. Not sure why he did not play MB again but my guess maybe he wanted to have MR get some floor time.

Sorry, if this is true then JC will not get any kid to come who is worth anything. By the way, he had just hit is 4th 3 in 4 minutes - cut the kid some slack. I don't think that was it at all - RM let them celebrate like MB did. Not sure why he did not play MB again but my guess maybe he wanted to have MR get some floor time.

I'm not sure what is driving all the speculation on JC being upset with Bartley? MB stayed in the game after his mini-celebration until the end of the 1st half. He then started the second half and played in essence the first 5 minutes of that half. Hardly an indication that the coach was upset with him. He even made a couple of very nice passes/assists in the second half, but he does ball-watch which causes him to lose his man too often. That should be something the coaches could correct very easily.

I'm not sure what is driving all the speculation on JC being upset with Bartley? MB stayed in the game after his mini-celebration until the end of the 1st half. He then started the second half and played in essence the first 5 minutes of that half. Hardly an indication that the coach was upset with him. He even made a couple of very nice passes/assists in the second half, but he does ball-watch which causes him to lose his man too often. That should be something the coaches could correct very easily.

Crews lit him up after his celebration.

But yeah he played after that. In retrospect I'm thinking I overplayed the importance of it. He had 3 fouls, Reynols got some run, we also played without a point for a little bit and then Mcbroom got some time.

Crews basically said MB got lost in the shuffle. This statement bothers me more than him being benched because it kind of indicates a loss of knowledge or lack of understanding on the part of our coaches. Kid hit 4 threes ...... and got lost. Hmmmmmm.

The Dukes had 6 steals to our 2.

Lancona passing at the high post took control and broke the zone defense. Jolly was not as good at it and since AG is such a good passer and has such floor vision I was surprised he did not get his chances at high post. What game were people watching Lancona shooting tolerable last two games and Manning had zero rebounds in 13 minutes while RA had 3 in eight minutes- not saying RA should get minutes just that Manning needs to learn at 6-11 and 250 pounds to get position instead of heading for the other end as soon as shot is hoisted.

Literal interpretations of coach speak is great.

I'm sure Crews wasn't going to publicly toss out that Bartley was showboating and that's why he sat. So he made a throw away comment about the shuffle. This wasn't Crews's first game coaching.

Literal interpretations of coach speak is great.

I'm sure Crews wasn't going to publicly toss out that Bartley was showboating and that's why he sat. So he made a throw away comment about the shuffle. This wasn't Crews's first game coaching.

plus one. like when they interview coaches @ 1/2time.

And 3 posts later we baselessly accusing the coaching staff of not keeping track of players.

Actually I thought the coaches had time cards and you did not get in the after game party unless your minutes were all accounted for in the rotation.

How did TL and MR get out of the doghouse- we better tell AM. I would think it would be good if MB had the feeling he left the game on fire and would come back next game and do the same thing-comparing him to AM he makes me nervous when he dribbles up floor at the edge of the sideline where it easy to get boxed in and his passes do not give me the floor general feeling. Hitting 4 threes is fantastic but he is a long way from point guard material. I hope he develops into our point guard. MR has speed (but seems deer in the headlights freshman lost) it has been so long since something on the basketball floor clicked for him. Crews trying to keep them all happy instead of trying to win is different.

And what was it with our older assistant yelling at the sitting players at first time out at same time Crews was yelling at them-does that work with 18 year olds.

You could see Jolly easing away from CC when he was trying to coach him up and he was not even yelling. CC was the most active this game of any previous games. Tanner B seems to be hearing more than one voice now.

Data does not support a Benching..

He played the first 4.5 minutes in the first half, then came back in with 7 minutes left in the game.

Then after his celebration that Crews is supposed to have benched him for, he started the second half and came out after 4.5 minutes.....

My suspicion is as the lead got up to 18, the substitution pattern changed.

As for Miles Reynolds, what I saw is a kid trying to run the offense. That is a good thing as in the past he would gun, or drive quickly throw up a prayer and hope for a foul call...

The Dukes had 6 steals to our 2.

Lancona passing at the high post took control and broke the zone defense. Jolly was not as good at it and since AG is such a good passer and has such floor vision I was surprised he did not get his chances at high post. What game were people watching Lancona shooting tolerable last two games and Manning had zero rebounds in 13 minutes while RA had 3 in eight minutes- not saying RA should get minutes just that Manning needs to learn at 6-11 and 250 pounds to get position instead of heading for the other end as soon as shot is hoisted.

I recall one play in the first half where Manning was in great position for an offensive rebound when the shot went up, but by the time the ball came down to the area he had been standing he was ten feet away with his back to the play running to the defensive end. He must be told to head to the defensive end when the shot goes up. May not be a bad strategy since he doesn't have the hands to pull down the rebound. I guess that falls in with the mindset to not put anybody at the foul line to rebound when we're shooting free throws.

I recall one play in the first half where Manning was in great position for an offensive rebound when the shot went up, but by the time the ball came down to the area he had been standing he was ten feet away with his back to the play running to the defensive end. He must be told to head to the defensive end when the shot goes up. May not be a bad strategy since he doesn't have the hands to pull down the rebound. I guess that falls in with the mindset to not put anybody at the foul line to rebound when we're shooting free throws.

I saw that too. I hope that's not what he's been coached to do. I couldn't figure out why our tallest guy turned away and ran back on defense with the shot in the air. Maybe he just thought it was going in.

Edit: You know, on second thought, maybe that keeps him out of foul trouble. Most rebounds go to the defense anyway and he has been more valuable on the defensive end. So maybe there is some strategy there.