Now that non-conference season is over

We found some good things out of this non-conference year.

1. Milik Yarbrough is a player. He's going to be big-time. He has all the skills to be a force in the league.

2. Ash Yacoubou is starting to assert himself more on the offensive end. He struggled from the FT line, but otherwise, he was pretty good and has gotten better recently.

3. Austin McBroom has improved a ton on the defensive end. He probably won't make it to the level of Mike McCall or Jordair Jett, but he's really worked at his game on that end of the floor.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We found some good things out of this non-conference year.

1. Milik Yarbrough is a player. He's going to be big-time. He has all the skills to be a force in the league.

2. Ash Yacoubou is starting to assert himself more on the offensive end. He struggled from the FT line, but otherwise, he was pretty good and has gotten better recently.

3. Austin McBroom has improved a ton on the defensive end. He probably won't make it to the level of Mike McCall or Jordair Jett, but he's really worked at his game on that end of the floor.

Those three are getting it done. Too bad the sophomore class has severely disappointed and the senior class is nonexistent. At least we don't lose any of the big three after this year. Just continue to improve in conference play.

Those three are getting it done. Too bad the sophomore class has severely disappointed and the senior class is nonexistent. At least we don't lose any of the big three after this year. Just continue to improve in conference play.

Have we improved?

We are competing very well and getting better as a team. I am sure there are more than 3 players on the court. AM, AY, and MY standout but that can change tomorrow at the next game. My thing is that guys give a solid defensive effort and score the ball. It will come together soon and everyone will buy in. I just hope it is not after we have dropped alot of conference games and eliminated our chance to be a top team in A10 or win conference outright.

We are competing very well and getting better as a team. I am sure there are more than 3 players on the court. AM, AY, and MY standout but that can change tomorrow at the next game. My thing is that guys give a solid defensive effort and score the ball. It will come together soon and everyone will buy in. I just hope it is not after we have dropped alot of conference games and eliminated our chance to be a top team in A10 or win conference outright.

They should have bought in by now. It is obvious the only way this team is going to do anything is with defense.

They should have bought in by now. It is obvious the only way this team is going to do anything is with defense.

Hard to buy in when starting rotation changes at the drop of a hat sometimes for no obvious reason and there are guys getting minutes whose productivity is not there. Obviously it is a new team and staff will keep playing with the lineup to find the right combos. There should be less of that going into conference play but I guarantee you that will change as well.

From my point of view as an MBM many of our players have improved since the start of the season. Of course AM, MY, and AY are the outstanding players in the team. However Roby is playing very well, defensively, and JM has been contributing much better than at the start of the season. AG, is developing like a very good addition to the team, BJ managed to score last night with a bunch of defenders on top of him, MB, and MR are playing better. Of the sophomores, RA brings in energy, rebounding and a big body bouncing around inside (also many fouls). Crawford is a good ball handler and can generaly shoot and penetrate, but generally does not. TL has improved and is taking shots, hope to see more of these. Of what I have seen this season, I think the poor FT shooting is one issue that must be corrected now.

Yes, it is a team being rebuilt, but I think we are doing better now, and as the Wiz posted elsewhere, we have nowhere to go in A10 this season except for up.

Hard to buy in when starting rotation changes at the drop of a hat sometimes for no obvious reason and there are guys getting minutes whose productivity is not there. Obviously it is a new team and staff will keep playing with the lineup to find the right combos. There should be less of that going into conference play but I guarantee you that will change as well.

With a young team the line up is going to change. I understand the frustration, but it's not necessarily a bad thing for the line up to change every now and then.

From my point of view as an MBM many of our players have improved since the start of the season. Of course AM, MY, and AY are the outstanding players in the team. However Roby is playing very well, defensively, and JM has been contributing much better than at the start of the season. AG, is developing like a very good addition to the team, BJ managed to score last night with a bunch of defenders on top of him, MB, and MR are playing better. Of the sophomores, RA brings in energy, rebounding and a big body bouncing around inside (also many fouls). Crawford is a good ball handler and can generaly shoot and penetrate, but generally does not. TL has improved and is taking shots, hope to see more of these. Of what I have seen this season, I think the poor FT shooting is one issue that must be corrected now.

Yes, it is a team being rebuilt, but I think we are doing better now, and as the Wiz posted elsewhere, we have nowhere to go in A10 this season except for up.

Now if he would just put them IN the basket!!!!

LANCONA, Tanner 0-4 0-3

-MC, PLEASE stop with dribbling one time and then holding the ball with no idea what to do next, I can't believe he still does that every game

-folks, JM is what he is, he just isn't quick enough many times to defend and then get the rebound, but I thought he defended their best player nicely

-so while JM was defending their kid yesterday why when their kid was on the bench was JM playing and why when their kid was playing was JM on the bench?

-why can't we leave a lineup on the floor for more than 5 minutes at a time to get a feel for the game? my thought is that we don't know why we are subbing, it appears willy-nilly

-free throws and rebounding are amazing woes for us

-to echo what someone mentioned in the GDT, who has come to our program and become a better shooter? TL is the last one I remember and that was under Brad

-I guess it is pick your poison with DR, good on defense and not sure I would guard him on offense

-I used to say under Rick the offense got plenty of open shots we just didn't make enough, now we don't get open looks very often it seems

-MY, loved your aggressiveness yesterday, keep it going, just don't try to do too much but I can understand that mindset in the current time

-72 I agree in what has happened to MR's minutes? we make a run yesterday with him in the game and then he disappears

-guessing that TL is like a baseball player in a slump who is trying too hard, get a 3 to go in and hopefully he goes on a nice run of making them

-let's improve in all facets

Have we improved? - I would think so but have we improved significantly - probably not. Jolly still has no idea what to do on defense. How many back doors did Vandy get against whoever was in there. Crawford has not shown any consistency and there is nothing more to be said about TL and AG - I know some on here like AG but he does not get many results - good effort but it has to amount to something that you can count on. I agree that AM, MY, and AY have shown the most so far and should be starting. After that you can put them all in a hat and draw people out blind folded and you would get about the same results. I do not fault the freshmen completely but they need to show more improvement this second half. JM - he did not have a very good game yesterday but that has been his story. By the way how many picks did you see by us yesterday on offense - it is as if that is not part of our game - Vandy on the other hand did an excellent job with setting picks and that is why they scored so consistently. FT shooting has not been good and that is critical for a team that has trouble scoring. I am not ready to throw JC under the bus but he does not seem to be getting his message through.

All I can add is that it's hard watching this team grow up. We are dysfunctional on offense. Getting 4 Conf wins is gonna be hard. One plus yesterday was seeing AY hit those 3s. Pretty sure we're gonna see this turnstyle rotation continue since we're not seeing much separation among the other 9 players. Our best shot is to see that our leading 3 get 30mpg and wing it from there. Soph's are really disappointing, ie little development so far, and that's what's killing us.

To win. Defend. Rebound.

This group can't win until it totally buys into RM's edict.

RM is gone. They have to buy into Crews' edict, which we don't really fully understand or know at this point in the rebuilding process. Hopefully we will by next year, or it's going to be a hard time the next few years...

Some thoughts

Roby is playing better, he moves the ball quicker on offense though not able to create himself or take advantage of the outside shot usually just given to him. Hard to drive if you aren't ultra quick when the opponent doesn't respect your shot. For a frosh 12 games in his on the ball defense is pretty good

For all our guards ... quit overplaying the pass to the wing and then getting beat back door. It happens numerous times every game. If you are going to overplay be technically sound. ball side hand and ball side foot, stay balanced quit lunging and stepping through with the opposite foot. This has been frustrating the hell out of me. One session of film should correct it but it hasn't seemed to.

Austin had better start getting some arch on his shot or he will never be the consistent outside threat we want him to be.

Guards have to block out not just chase the board. Bigs have to be able to block out and rebound, not just block out. Once you catch, be strong and patient. Every game once or twice we have someone get the ball knocked away after they've corralled the rebound and it's turned into quick points. Twice a game here and 2-3 times a game getting beat back door is at least 6 to 8 points a game that shouldn't happen

Mike Crawford can you catch and shoot?

Malik ... Don't ever let a guy take you out of your game again, you were lost for 10 minutes, once you got your confidence back and attacked we fought back. I don't care how many shots you take from within 5 feet or how many you miss, just stay aggressive.

Ash ... fast body, soft hands and you'll finish more often.

We have more athletic frosh than I can ever remember having but they are not very technically sound players. I'm undecided on whether I'd trade a little less athleticism for more fundamentally sound players and please can we recruit a shooter, just a pure 3 point shooter. Mike seems like he could be that guy, he just doesn't seem to have the mentality.

Individual player thoughts:

McBroom - impressed although he's had some games where he disappears and that can't happen in A10 play. Hope he doesn't fade like he did last year after a strong non-conference showing. Definitely improved

Yacoubou - picking it up lately. What happened to him from the free throw line? Like that he plays with an edge and shows some anger out there.

Yarbrough - Maybe the most impressive freshmen since Kwamain. Teams will focus on him in A10 play but seems like he can score in a variety of ways.

Crawford - Expected more but has looked better since he's been healthy disregarding last game. Not a focal point guy but clearly can have a game or two where he leads us and a game or two where he does nothing.

Manning - Will play for his defense. Did a pretty good job yesterday. But he's just not quick enough to defend a stud and then go get the rebound. Not all on him though.

Roby - Impressed with his defense and seems like he's definitely bought in to that role. He has offensive potential, but not sure it'll show this year.

Gillmann - Great vision and good passer. Has a decent jump shot, but as seen by yesterday, he's going to be taken out of the game against bigger stronger post players.

Bartley - Not as sold on him as others, but he is the most true PG on the team. Needs to improve though or else it doesn't matter what kind of player he is.

Reynolds - Think he's a good spark and maybe could be a Briante Weber type player. Pest on defense. Energy guy. Scores getting to the bucket and getting fouled.

Jolly - He has to learn to defend in the post. Has a solid jump shot, but he's even behind Gillmann right now in post defense.

Lancona - I think a stretch 4 is essential to our style, but hasn't shown he can be that guy. Still haven't given up on him. Could be a confidence issue.

Agbeko - Wondering if his highlight video made him overhyped coming in. Best post moves on the team but can't finish. Need his rebounding.

Bronson - Still seems like the brains behind the operations in terms of in-game X's and O's which isn't uncommon for an assistant. Like him over Cheaney as Crews' eventual successor.

Cheaney - Like the emotion he shows from the bench. When he gets on a guy, they definitely give him their attention.

Platt - Definitely the defensive guy. Watching him on the bench, he's constantly shouting out defensive instructions.

Crews - Expected a slightly more impactful recruiting class, but he definitely brought in multiple guys who can play. Some of his lineup combinations don't make sense, but seems like he's starting to stick with certain combinations. No coach should be immune from criticism and Crews definitely deserves some (he did the last 2 years too. All coaches do), but assuming we improve and don't roll over and die in A10 play, I don't think you can fault him too much yet.

Team overall - Slightly worse than I expected. Always assumed we'd have significant development and we'd be a different team by February. We're headed down that path but it's bumpy. Offense is still unidentifiable too often. Defense is probably ahead of where I thought it'd be. We'll have our games but it won't be pretty this year.

Why does everyone think Mike is a 3 point shooter? He was quoted in the paper saying he scored most of his point in highschool shooting layups . Can he make an open 3 ? Yes,but I don't see him filling it up.

For his Billiken career, Mike Crawford is 16 of 40 for 40% behind the arc. McBroom is also 40% for his Billiken career, (72 of 180). Draw your own conclusions.

Minutes for the seven subs, last five games. Simply information for your consideration when discussing the 12 man rotation.

Crawford 105 minutes

Bartley 88 minutes

Gillmann 76 minutes

Lancona 49 minutes

Agbeko 45 minutes

Reynolds 32 minutes

Jolly 23 minutes

Some comments .....I expect McBroom will disappear during conference time just as last year if only because your conference knows who you are and what you do. Plus it happened last year. So unless something extraordinary happens, Austin should expect a tougher go of it for the rest of the year. Yacoubou appears a nice piece or cog in the machine. I don't know if he can be a leading man right now. I don't recall Kwamain being that "impressive" as a freshman. Good? Yes. But again, let's see what the conference brings. I believe Stallings laid the blueprint --- pack it in, make some Billiken do something outside the lane to beat someone consistently enough to win a game. iIf it were me on defense, I'd beg Reynolds, Robey, Crawford, Bartley, Lancona and Jolly to take a shot --- any shot and often. Don't let McBroom alone. Play Yacoubou to drive. And keep two bodies around Yarbrough when in the paint. You can like Yabrough all you want (I do) but he seems to let emotions drive his game too much right now. I also see Roby and Reynolds taking it bad out there ---- maybe they don't know how to lose given where they came from.

I'm tired of hearing JM playing for his defense. That's stretching for a crumb. And because that's settling. And we've settled now for 7/8's of big John's Billiken career. He and Grandy appear more Soderberg-type recruits ---- turrible. I don't mind Roby but his lack of an offensive game is amplified when on the court with Bartley, Crawford, Lancona, Manning, Agbeko and so on. You can have one, half-filled tire on offense, but not two or three. We're not good enough to compensate for that. Gillmann and Jolly are projects. WARNING WARNING WIL ROBINSON: so too was John Manning. How did that turnout? Are Neufeld and Welmer projects? And Jolly is NOT a freshman --- he played a year at prep school. Bartley has nowhere to go but up. Like his potential and skills. Can't shoot but whatever. Have no clue who or what Miles Reynolds is. And Jolly, Lancona and Agbeko? Well, that's enough mention to be made. And I'll refrain from using the "T" word ---- rhymes with "fransfer."

All in all, I think we're right where I thought we'd be. Problem is, with so many roster spots needing their own individual development, the trials and tribulations are amplified. I'm going to agree with the genius who said Agebko was our most "game ready" recruit last year. Wow! What does that say? But the kids are all great guys and good people. No argument there. So what is it? The coach? If so, right now not too impressed with Crews' recruiting or coaching.

Season two is about to begin.

Individual player thoughts:

McBroom - impressed although he's had some games where he disappears and that can't happen in A10 play. Hope he doesn't fade like he did last year after a strong non-conference showing. Definitely improved

Yacoubou - picking it up lately. What happened to him from the free throw line? Like that he plays with an edge and shows some anger out there.

Yarbrough - Maybe the most impressive freshmen since Kwamain. Teams will focus on him in A10 play but seems like he can score in a variety of ways.

Crawford - Expected more but has looked better since he's been healthy disregarding last game. Not a focal point guy but clearly can have a game or two where he leads us and a game or two where he does nothing.

Manning - Will play for his defense. Did a pretty good job yesterday. But he's just not quick enough to defend a stud and then go get the rebound. Not all on him though.

Roby - Impressed with his defense and seems like he's definitely bought in to that role. He has offensive potential, but not sure it'll show this year.

Gillmann - Great vision and good passer. Has a decent jump shot, but as seen by yesterday, he's going to be taken out of the game against bigger stronger post players.

Bartley - Not as sold on him as others, but he is the most true PG on the team. Needs to improve though or else it doesn't matter what kind of player he is.

Reynolds - Think he's a good spark and maybe could be a Briante Weber type player. Pest on defense. Energy guy. Scores getting to the bucket and getting fouled.

Jolly - He has to learn to defend in the post. Has a solid jump shot, but he's even behind Gillmann right now in post defense.

Lancona - I think a stretch 4 is essential to our style, but hasn't shown he can be that guy. Still haven't given up on him. Could be a confidence issue.

Agbeko - Wondering if his highlight video made him overhyped coming in. Best post moves on the team but can't finish. Need his rebounding.

Bronson - Still seems like the brains behind the operations in terms of in-game X's and O's which isn't uncommon for an assistant. Like him over Cheaney as Crews' eventual successor.

Cheaney - Like the emotion he shows from the bench. When he gets on a guy, they definitely give him their attention.

Platt - Definitely the defensive guy. Watching him on the bench, he's constantly shouting out defensive instructions.

Crews - Expected a slightly more impactful recruiting class, but he definitely brought in multiple guys who can play. Some of his lineup combinations don't make sense, but seems like he's starting to stick with certain combinations. No coach should be immune from criticism and Crews definitely deserves some (he did the last 2 years too. All coaches do), but assuming we improve and don't roll over and die in A10 play, I don't think you can fault him too much yet.

Team overall - Slightly worse than I expected. Always assumed we'd have significant development and we'd be a different team by February. We're headed down that path but it's bumpy. Offense is still unidentifiable too often. Defense is probably ahead of where I thought it'd be. We'll have our games but it won't be pretty this year.

Nicely done. The "rational expectations" theory of Billiken fandom.

Why does everyone think Mike is a 3 point shooter? He was quoted in the paper saying he scored most of his point in highschool shooting layups . Can he make an open 3 ? Yes,but I don't see him filling it up.

You can watch his shot and tell he could or even should be a good 3 pt shooter. Just my opinion but I'd like to see him more prepared to catch and let it rip more often. He seems like you imply to be more likely to want to put the ball on the floor and attack though he seems to lack the pure athleticism to do it against certain opponents which is probably why you get the frequent hesitation. It's why I wrote he doesn't seem to have the mentality.