Offense?

slufan13

But they don't play the championship defense that we need. The white guy from Xavier comes to mind from a couple years ago. I forget his name. I loved when he would come in when we played Xavier because he would always struggle to guard McCall, KM, or JJ and shoot every time he got it because he felt like that is what he was in there for. And if you can shoot like the Xavier white guy and can actually play decent defense then you are a 4.5-5 star recruit. I would love to have Nik Stauskas....but so would a lot of other BCSers.

No, you're not going to be able to find a guy who can shoot like Claggett and defend like Jett. But are you really saying a guy like Mica Mason couldn't help off the bench, just because he isn't a lockdown defender? There's room for offense on the roster too, after all.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take another Lisch

3 point % by season

FR: 41.4%

SO: 40.9%

JR: 38.4%

SR: 37.8%

Averaged 30+ minutes per game every season and averaged at least two made 3's per game every season

I'd take another Lisch any day of the week. But he was also not just a shooter. He was also a very good defender and a good ball handler.

I'd take another Lisch any day of the week. But he was also not just a shooter. He was also a very good defender and a good ball handler.

That's what I'm saying. Some are acting like the only good shooters that SLU could get can't play defense or do anything else.

Redford?

Ya that's him.

Mica Mason was a 2 star recruit with offers from Colgate and Drake...Any decent coach (not named Majerus) in this day in age would get raked through the coals for that signing. I would take a more complete player who can shoot decently, like Crawford.

Come on, how many 2-star recruits have not just Majerus but Soderberg, Crews, and all the others brought to SLU? If you start ignoring anybody without a higher pedigree, you're not going to be looking at too many players.

Crawford himself was a 2-star recruit, wasn't he? Only other offers he got were Yale, Lamar, Gardner-Webb, and Stetson. He could turn out to be a great player, but it makes no sense to pretend he was a blue chip prospect in comparison with Mason or any of the other shooters being mentioned here.

I'd take another Lisch

3 point % by season

FR: 41.4%

SO: 40.9%

JR: 38.4%

SR: 37.8%

Averaged 30+ minutes per game every season and averaged at least two made 3's per game every season

Wow. Didn't realize Lisch was that good. It's a shame he played with a bunch of retards. Dwayne DP Polk put up more goose eggs than Grant Fuhr.

Really cool video. It's clear that a stretch-4 is required for nearly all of those plays. I wonder if we have been prevented from using a lot of these due to Tanner's lack of PT/production. He's the only stretch-4 on the roster, although Milik could be considered a hybrid-4 who could take his man off the dribble more often than shoot on a few of the plays designed to get the 4 open.

Excellent point about the 4. Again, going back to the first radio interview I recall of RM after getting the job here at SLU, he talked about his own basketball philosophy making sure the 1 (point guard) and the 4 (stretch forward) were the most important players on his teams -- Andre Miller and Keith Van Horne at Utah and KM and CE here at SLU.

This is part of the problem. There is no one other than McBroom to take the 3's. We are shooting 34% from the arc. Not good ...not bad ...just average. But looking into the numbers is disturbing. Subtract McBroom (50%) from the mix and the whole rest of the team is shooting 24% . Without McBroom, we would be in the bottom 4% of all schools in 3pt shooting. The last game was a good example of this. McBroom shot 67% (6-9) from 3pt range. The rest of the team shot 0% (0-10). We won the Bradley game because Bradley wasn't very good. We don't need sharpshooters....a weak 30% from the rest of the team would make a big difference If we can't shoot better from the arc than we have to this point...it could be a long season.

This is where I have been sorely disappointed in Crawford. I thought he would be the other 3 point threat in addition to McBroom. I would think he would spend all of his extra time shooting threes, but, whether he has or hasn't, he's not translating whatever work he has put in into a decent 3 point percentage during games.

I was also hoping that Tanner would help stretch the other team's defense a little.

This is where I have been sorely disappointed in Crawford. I thought he would be the other 3 point threat in addition to McBroom. I would think he would spend all of his extra time shooting threes, but, whether he has or hasn't, he's not translating whatever work he has put in into a decent 3 point percentage during games.

I was also hoping that Tanner would help stretch the other team's defense a little.

I thought both Tanner and Crawford would have been more of a threat to begin the season, but that has not been the case. We need them to be bigger role players, especially Tanner. Having a 4 who can dribble inside as well as moving outside for the 3 pt shot is a huge asset. We all know he has the talent, now it's time to put aside and nervousness or apprehension and start getting it done. He should be much more aggressive with the ball.

I thought both Tanner and Crawford would have been more of a threat to begin the season, but that has not been the case. We need them to be bigger role players, especially Tanner. Having a 4 who can dribble inside as well as moving outside for the 3 pt shot is a huge asset. We all know he has the talent, now it's time to put aside and nervousness or apprehension and start getting it done. He should be much more aggressive with the ball.

Yes... and I thought Ash was a 3 pointer as well.

Tanner isn't seeing the floor because he can't play D. Even against Rockhurst the kid was lost on the defensive end. He is a quality offensive player but in SLU's system it doesn't matter if you have never learned how to play defense. His intensity is not there. He won't play much until that changes.

We haven't topped 60 points since Indiana St (not counting Rockhurst)

We are 311th in the country in ppg

268th in assists per game

294th in field goal percentage

We have 100 assists and 122 turnovers on the season.

Bartley, Roby, and Lancona are the only players on the team with more assists than turnovers.

3 point FG defense - 311th in the country. Yikes. I knew the numbers were bad but this.

Extra disturbing because this has always been one of SLU's strengths, or at least in the past 10-15 years.