Methdale at the Bills GDT

And official attendance, per the box score, was 10015, which is utterly fraudulent given that at least one section in the upper end zone behind the students was at least 1/2 empty and there were many empty seats in the other upper sections at that end of the arena. It appears they distributed that end to CYC or some other promotion and counted those tickets as "sold," even though nobody showed up to use them.

I am okay with this. It may hurt ticket "sales" some in the short run, but giving away tickets to groups I think should be done more often. You never know out of giving 20 tickets away, if you will get a couple fans who want to come back to future games. Maybe don't do this against VCU, Dayton, or Vanderbilt, but if you know you are not going to really "sell out" put some butts in the seats.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I was at the game and these are my impressions of what I saw. First of all, the SLU student section was packed and was very much alive and into it. They did waves with their arms and brought banners, they had a kid in the audience directing the cheers and he was good! This was nice. The band was more alive than last year. The place looked full but not packed (although the empty seats may well have been sold).

The game was a surprise in many ways. As expected (in may cases as hoped) McBroom did not drop the ball and together with Yacobou they dominated the action and the scoring for SLU. Crawford lived up to the expectations of those that said he would be a major contributor and a reliable scorer. That said, Glaze was not present apparently due to his shoulder. Manning did not do much, certainly he did not provide the kind of leadership a senior would be expected to provide. Lancona and Agbeko did not play very well tonight either.

The freshmen played like freshmen in their first game in D1, and yet they were surprisingly good. Gillman did very well in my opinion, moved well and got a 3 pointer. Jolly did not do much with scoring but may have been effective in defense (again he is a freshman). They both looked better than Manning in my opinion. Yarborough and Roby are very good and can throw their weight around, and even thought they did not score much they did contribute heavily in my opinion. Reynolds is very fast and pasess very well, he will be a great addition to the team. Bartley is also fast and can handle the ball, he looked better than in the exhibition game. The refs were totally god awful.

Crews did a very fine job keeping the whole team together and playing as well as they could. The final two minutes were really good, we just outplayed them and won.

What I liked about this game is that, other than McBroom and Yacobou plus Crawford which look like the backbone of the team, we can rest assured that our freshmen have as much potential as we hoped they did and that they are completely capable of playing against a not so easy team and beat them. I expect them to improve steadily over the pre season.

So, my opinion of this game and what I saw our freshmen doing is very positive. We will see how this season develops.

I am okay with this. It may hurt ticket "sales" some in the short run, but giving away tickets to groups I think should be done more often. You never know out of giving 20 tickets away, if you will get a couple fans who want to come back to future games. Maybe don't do this against VCU, Dayton, or Vanderbilt, but if you know you are not going to really "sell out" put some butts in the seats.

I'm fine with giving the tix away. I'm not fine with faking the actual reported attendance. They know damn well exactly how many people went through the turnstiles, and they should report it as such.

I'm fine with giving the tix away. I'm not fine with faking the actual reported attendance. They know damn well exactly how many people went through the turnstiles, and they should report it as such.

Have they ever reported the turnstile count instead of the "tickets sold" count?

I think I heard on go_bills stream (thank you) that it was the largest student crowd ever.

I was told they handed out 1500 student tickets. I think the lower student section holds 1000.

Also, all tickets were distributed the first day and there were a ton of requests for tickets on the SLU marketplace on Facebook.

Good signs

I thought the Wiz's 10 point spread was kind of high ......

As I've said, can't wait,and now that it's here, let's roll. Nice to escape with a win but a youthful club such as this one will mean a lot of choppiness, a lot of youthful mistakes, turnovers, team chemistry/combination issues, bad shooting, poor rebounding and a whole slew of youthful errors. Its called growing up.

Three starters ---- Manning, Lancona and Robey --- go a combined 1-for-6. Gillmann scored six himself. Crawford with ten off the bench and that is just as much as the rest of the bench (10) combined. Where was Glaze? What did I miss there? Missed 10 free throws. Lots of room for improvement.

A win is a win. Take the money and run.

I thought it was a pretty good estimate considering no real data. But more important was the commentary (also the win) in original post....."...2 mystery teams starting a lot of underclassmen who will make lots of mistakes. Between the 2 mystery teams our unknowns are better than their unknowns...."

I still feel that way...our unknowns were better than their inknowns which is why we won. The Bills will get better as the season goes on and so will my point spreads as I accumulate more data

Laptop cropped out and drunk as he'll in the second half. Loved to see our defense stiffen at the end. Gotta give mcbroom credit where credit is due. Need more assists and less to's from you point guard. Nothing from manning. Agbeko looked lost. Gillman and jolly looked like the best freshmen forwards I've ever seen in billiken blue. Crawford looked like a solid role player. Winning is better than losing and I was wrong to despair so easily

Wait a second guys, all the XRay determines is the absence of a bone fracture. He does not have a fracture. All this says is that he does not require a cast at this time. He may indeed have a soft tissue injury the extent of which cannot be evaluated by XRays.

Highly doubt it, especially if the doctors cleared him to practice today.

Impressed with this freshman class. Looks like they will be playing a lot more minutes than anyone might of expected. Like especially that they will be pushing the sophomores making all nine of them better. Bright future for the Bills. Seniors may be playing about the same minutes they saw last season.

Highly doubt it, especially if the doctors cleared him to practice today.

Go ahead and doubt all you want Dwayne's_World but this is what the PD has to say today about the state of McBroom's injured wrist from the SIUC's game just prior to leaving for Terre Haute and the game against Indiana State:

"Austin McBroom had a sore right hand and wrist as of Monday afternoon after being injured in the closing minutes against SIUC.

An X-ray taken after the game was negative, but he said there was still swelling as the team prepared to leave."

To me these are signs of a not yet fully recovered soft tissue injury. Now, mind you, he will play tonight against Indiana State. We will see how well he does and how the wrist progresses before the following game.