MVP for the year

I know it's stupid to start such a thread at this time of year, but for my money, RIGHT NOW, it is JJ. When he is on, we do well, when not we struggle. He can control the game like no one else on the team, with D, assists, driving, outside shots, 3s. He has learned how to take what the other team gives him.

The play on Wed that sealed it for me was when he drove the R side in the first half, had three opponents around him, GOT THE REBOUND, then put it back in. Simply amazing. He has incredible fire to succeed like no one else I can remember in the recent past.

DE is the man, but JJ is my MVP right now.

mhg

If it is truly most valuable, you have to consider Rob Loe in the conversation. He has been great defensively (ask Dan Dakich) and actually very good posting up- a place where he has struggled in the past. Rob has improved his all-around game drastically this year and I think we need to give him more credit. If Rob's shots start falling.... watch out.

I know it's stupid to start such a thread at this time of year, but for my money, RIGHT NOW, it is JJ. When he is on, we do well, when not we struggle. He can control the game like no one else on the team, with D, assists, driving, outside shots, 3s. He has learned how to take what the other team gives him.

The play on Wed that sealed it for me was when he drove the R side in the first half, had three opponents around him, GOT THE REBOUND, then put it back in. Simply amazing. He has incredible fire to succeed like no one else I can remember in the recent past.

DE is the man, but JJ is my MVP right now.

mhg

I agree with your first part of the first sentence.

If it is truly most valuable, you have to consider Rob Loe in the conversation. He has been great defensively (ask Dan Dakich) and actually very good posting up- a place where he has struggled in the past. Rob has improved his all-around game drastically this year and I think we need to give him more credit. If Rob's shots start falling.... watch out.

I would give my vote to Rob or Dwayne. We couldn't come close to replacing what either do if they went down this year. JJ is great, but we have options outside of JJ at the 1.

Loe may not be the best athlete out there but for a near 7 ft player he is tremendous. Two plays against Richmond stood out.

One whe he helped on a ball screen and proceeded to cover Lindsey by moving his feet, forced a travel.

Second on a loose ball that one of their guards picked up near mid court. Loe got down stole the ball picked it up and dished to McCall...excellent hands

Loe may not be the best athlete out there but for a near 7 ft player he is tremendous. Two plays against Richmond stood out.

One whe he helped on a ball screen and proceeded to cover Lindsey by moving his feet, forced a travel.

Second on a loose ball that one of their guards picked up near mid court. Loe got down stole the ball picked it up and dished to McCall...excellent hands

That is the one that astounded me, too! I was extremely impressed...Freshman, sophomore, or junior Rob Loe would have fouled in that position...

Just wait until defenses realize they have to double team dwight AND jordair. gonna get real interesting.

Even when they do we still have scoring threats in AM and RL, especially if they're hitting their shots! And with how versatile we are, when everybody is playing their A game, we're unbeatable.

Anyone else notice how JJ drove almost exclusively to the right in the Richmond game? Almost like he knew people were thinking he only finishes and drives to the left and wanted to show he goes where ever he pleases not just to the left.

I've also noticed his little 5-10 foot pull up looks so much better. He actually uses his off hand, and doesn't just push it up with his right hand only anymore. You can clearly see how much work he's put into it the last couple of years. Same goes for free throws.

I have been extremely impressed by JJ of late

It is too early but you have to lean to DE as the MVP, the backbone of the team, consistently scoring and rebounding and brings so much toughness and leadership.

I agree that JJ has stepped up and is the difference maker when we need him, takes responsibility to run the "O", drives to the hoop and scores when the clock is running out, plays great "D". RL is in the mix, too, not just his numbers, but his whole portfolio, a big man that can shoot, his presence impacts the game on both ends, but he's not quite on the same tier as DE & JJ.

IMO at the end of the year our MVP will be DE or possibly JJ.