Last 10 Games

b.hayes

The biggest difference I see in DE from his last 8 or 9 games last year, when he really showed his talents, and this year is he's not popping the mid range jumper as much. Last night he hit one and I hope we see more of that from him. Of course, he was at the 3 last year and now he's the 4. Still, he draws a lot of double and even triple teams down low, so it's gonna be hard to beat that on a consistent basis. If GG had stayed at the 4 and DE was free to hit that mid range jumper, no one would be saying he's in a funk. I still think the staff has to find a way to get RL more involved in the inside game to free up DE from getting mugged every time he's on the low post. Although I like that high low RL and DE run from time to time.

As for the Butler issue, the Beast jumped at them because of the two final 4s. Plain and simple. From the Horizon to the Big Time in two years is a big leap. Heck they didn't do all that well in the A10 last year. W/ Stevens leaving they lost some of their cache, and the short time frame of the jump from mid major to major is starting to show. But let's not cast stones, we could be in the same predicament next year after our SR's are gone.

I hate that Butler got picked to be in the BE as much the rest of you, but they earned that invite. Making back-to-back Final 4's is a very impressive feat and the program (as much as I hate to admit it) has historically been much stronger than ours. We're clearly the better team right now, but we were a pretty mediocre program until this run. Butler, on the other hand, went to something like 9 NCAA tournaments in 14 years.

That being said, I think this program is on the right path to emulating that type of success for the next decade. Unfortunately, success for smaller schools like us is tenuous at best and any little slip up can derail the ship (see SIU).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but, as I watched the Richmond game last night, I started thinking about a topic I hadn't thought about in weeks- The Billikens need to get the hell out of the A-10!

Richmond is one of the better teams this year, and they suck! UMass, GW, maybe St. Joes, or Dayton every now and then are going to have good season, but in general they will be mediocre, and other than VCU everybody else stinks. Bringing in GM this year, and Davidson next year is a downgrade.

Any news on the Big East? It should be clear by now that their Butler experiment has failed. They had a couple of good coaches in the past, but now they are fading back into their normal obscurity. In a perfect world, the powers that be would kick out Butler and bring in SLU immediately. They can site a lack of due diligence, stating they didn't know Butler wasn't Catholic

Following Frank's show today on 920, Rene Knott and Charlie Marlow had a positive discussion of SLU and the game last night (about 5 minutes). They then said that as that discussion was going on they got messages from State U fans saying that the discussion of SLU building a program was clearly intended to be a shot at State U. It seems that State U fans are super sensitive to the fact that they have NOT built a program.

After this conversation, Knott went on to make a pitch for SLU to get into the MVC where they could develop rivalries with team like MO St. and SIU and that doing so would help attendance since the A-10 was not a big time conference and Dayton was our closest rival in that league.

Has this guy been asleep the last 5 years or so??????????????

I appreciate the coverage but Rene, get a clue.

By the way, the station that covers the Bills games was primarily talking about the Rams today-I guess Wheeler didn't hear about the game last night.

I hate that Butler got picked to be in the BE as much the rest of you, but they earned that invite. Making back-to-back Final 4's is a very impressive feat and the program (as much as I hate to admit it) has historically been much stronger than ours. We're clearly the better team right now, but we were a pretty mediocre program until this run. Butler, on the other hand, went to something like 9 NCAA tournaments in 14 years.

That being said, I think this program is on the right path to emulating that type of success for the next decade. Unfortunately, success for smaller schools like us is tenuous at best and any little slip up can derail the ship (see SIU).

I wonder if Butler gets in without that second trip to the Final Four? Obviously we'll never know. And yes, what they did certainly is impressive, but I was always skeptical of the sustainability (they were over 100 rpi just one year after the second Final Four) and the leap from Horizon to Big East is a huge one. Plus, keep in mind most of those 9 NCAAs came while competing in a weak Horizon, often winning the conference tourney. Their Final Four success just happened to come together at just the right time. I get why it happened, but still frustrating. Frankly, also a little ticked that the other BE Catholic school didn't stick together. Where's the loyalty? B)

I don't want to be a Butler apologist, but they've been to the Tourney 9 times since 2000, including 4 Sweet 16s. That demonstrates to me at least recent sustainability. Let's give credit where credit is due. This season, without arguably their best player, they've lost 6 of their 9 games by less than 10 points and 4 of those games have been in OT. To declare their Big East move already a failure is definitely premature.

I don't want to be a Butler apologist, but they've been to the Tourney 9 times since 2000, including 4 Sweet 16s. That demonstrates to me at least recent sustainability. Let's give credit where credit is due. This season, without arguably their best player, they've lost 6 of their 9 games by less than 10 points and 4 of those games have been in OT. To declare their Big East move already a failure is definitely premature.

Shut it.

Off topic, but, as I watched the Richmond game last night, I started thinking about a topic I hadn't thought about in weeks- The Billikens need to get the hell out of the A-10!

Richmond is one of the better teams this year, and they suck! UMass, GW, maybe St. Joes, or Dayton every now and then are going to have good season, but in general they will be mediocre, and other than VCU everybody else stinks. Bringing in GM this year, and Davidson next year is a downgrade.

Any news on the Big East? It should be clear by now that their Butler experiment has failed. They had a couple of good coaches in the past, but now they are fading back into their normal obscurity. In a perfect world, the powers that be would kick out Butler and bring in SLU immediately. They can site a lack of due diligence, stating they didn't know Butler wasn't Catholic

Richmond may have been outclassed in all facets last night, but they don't stink. Moreover, that's the school most likely to join the Big East along with SLU in the next couple of years.

Richmond may have been outclassed in all facets last night, but they don't stink. Moreover, that's the school most likely to join the Big East along with SLU in the next couple of years.

I agree. Richmond doesn't stink. Even after the whupping we gave them, they are still a B+ team....Better than Butler ( B ). In fact, of the 35 conferences, Richmond would be in 1st in 20 of them on their way to the Big Dance. Meanwhile, lowly Butler, would lead 17 of those conferences.

Bottomline, neither of these teams are bad.

Just shows you how good we are.

The biggest difference I see in DE from his last 8 or 9 games last year, when he really showed his talents, and this year is he's not popping the mid range jumper as much. Last night he hit one and I hope we see more of that from him. Of course, he was at the 3 last year and now he's the 4. Still, he draws a lot of double and even triple teams down low, so it's gonna be hard to beat that on a consistent basis. If GG had stayed at the 4 and DE was free to hit that mid range jumper, no one would be saying he's in a funk. I still think the staff has to find a way to get RL more involved in the inside game to free up DE from getting mugged every time he's on the low post. Although I like that high low RL and DE run from time to time.As for the Butler issue, the Beast jumped at them because of the two final 4s. Plain and simple. From the Horizon to the Big Time in two years is a big leap. Heck they didn't do all that well in the A10 last year. W/ Stevens leaving they lost some of their cache, and the short time frame of the jump from mid major to major is starting to show. But let's not cast stones, we could be in the same predicament next year after our SR's are gone.

Agree. Next year will be fun to watch as our young players develop but we won't be rattling off any 13 game win streaks.

The Richmond win was impressive, we took them apart, the kids and Crews really convinced me we might be better than we think despite no victories against big name top teams. Blowouts against solid teams matter. The NCAA's will be the test... we need The Sweet 16.

We need an 8-2 finish, I do not think UMass and VCU are as good as advertised, but it is always tough to win on the road so I am expecting 2 losses somewhere along the line, not necessarily against these two. 9-1 would be outstanding.

RE: the A-10, it is is overrated, sure VCU and U Mass are decent teams, but there are too many slugs (Duq, Fordham, GM, etc.), the middle teams will fall when they beat each other, and the A-10 has almost no name recognition and absolutely no relevance to St. Louis. It would be optimal for us to get into the Big East, with the name recognition (several former NCAA Champions, traditions, etc.), some closer geographical competition (Marquette, Creighton, X, DePaul, Butler) and the superior TV package. Some of our 4* and 5* locals will finally, finally stay home. It would be grand if we can get in... we'd finally fill The Fetz.

DE stuck in a stage of mediocrity. Seriously? His numbers aren't far off from last year up a point per game and down a board and a half while shooting a little less of a percentage

In comparison to his play for the majority of the season up until lately, his numbers look mediocre right now. Am I saying he's a bad player? That he's lost his game? Of course not; that's ludicrous. But I had come to expect so much out of him after the first number of games when he was dominating.

With DE, I just want him to play smart, like he has for most of the season. It seems we bang it down low to him early, he makes a few buckets, and then the other team starts the double and triple teams. He had some great passes out of the post against Richmond. And that's exactly what he should do, make the other team pay for overcommitting to him.

Although it won't show up in the box score, DE can have a big game without having 20 and 10. If he can limit the times he forces it against double and triple teams and make the other team pay, then he is just as effective as he's always been. I know it's probably frustrating for him to not be the primary scorer at times and that's why he probably tries to force it.

DE is solid, our key player, our MVP.

But moytoyboy is right, he cannot hit 20-10 every night, it depends on the matchups.

Right now, we need someone to step up every night --- JJ seems to be the one that most often does --- and hit 16-20 points when an opponent has a matchup problem with us. McCall, Loe, even McBroom are always possible to step up. Or spread it around.

We are getting ahead of ourselves but if/when DE faces a primo big that can bother DE... say in the NCAA's... then we can have some problems, and will need TWO others to step up for 16-20 and pick up the slack.

The Richmond win was impressive, we took them apart, the kids and Crews really convinced me we might be better than we think despite no victories against big name top teams. Blowouts against solid teams matter. The NCAA's will be the test... we need The Sweet 16.

We need an 8-2 finish, I do not think UMass and VCU are as good as advertised, but it is always tough to win on the road so I am expecting 2 losses somewhere along the line, not necessarily against these two. 9-1 would be outstanding.

RE: the A-10, it is is overrated, sure VCU and U Mass are decent teams, but there are too many slugs (Duq, Fordham, GM, etc.), the middle teams will fall when they beat each other, and the A-10 has almost no name recognition and absolutely no relevance to St. Louis. It would be optimal for us to get into the Big East, with the name recognition (several former NCAA Champions, traditions, etc.), some closer geographical competition (Marquette, Creighton, X, DePaul, Butler) and the superior TV package. Some of our 4* and 5* locals will finally, finally stay home. It would be grand if we can get in... we'd finally fill The Fetz.

I agree on the bolded part. Win it again and hope that is the ticket out.

In comparison to his play for the majority of the season up until lately, his numbers look mediocre right now. Am I saying he's a bad player? That he's lost his game? Of course not; that's ludicrous. But I had come to expect so much out of him after the first number of games when he was dominating.

His last 5 games have been pretty good except for the one he was in foul trouble. Here they are working back

15-10

5-2

21-10

18-6

22-9

so even with the bad game he's at 16.2 and 7.4. He's been pretty darn good lately

David King, if we were going to the new Big East anytime soon we would have heard about it by now....won't happen for at least 2 more years.

At least SLU is the obvious choice and teams like Richmond, Dayton and others have to fight for the second spot.

Hey Debbie Downer; why don't you go over to the Methdale board and rain on their parade?!!

David King, if we were going to the new Big East anytime soon we would have heard about it by now....won't happen for at least 2 more years.

At least SLU is the obvious choice and teams like Richmond, Dayton and others have to fight for the second spot.

We'll be in the Big East within the next 2 years. Guaranteed.

• 2 weeks later...

We are now down to 7 regular season games remaining. According to RPIforecast, we are now most likely to finish at 27-4 (14-2), with a 56.37% chance we'll finish with a record that good or better.

Remaining games:

V. VCU 64%

@ GMU 79%

V. GWU 68%

V. DUQ 94%

@ VCU 41%

V. DAY 75%

@ UMASS 43%

We are expected to finish with an RPI of 16. According to the "RPI Wizard" (not to be confused with The Wiz), if we do finish with two more losses were @ VCU and @ UMASS, our RPI would be 10.