Retired Jerseys/Numbers

Littlebill

Bonawelders announced they're going to retire Andrew Nicholson's number. For the sake of discussion, what Billiken (past or present) would you most want to see retired that hasn't been already?

Retire a number is a big deal and should only be done for those super elite players that pass through the program, moved the program to national prominence, and have or had an outstanding pro career. We only have had one and that's Maucauley.

Less prestigious but still very special are retired jerseys. We have 3: Boushka, Bonner & Ferry.

Perhaps if Hughes stayed and graduated with his class and moved us each year to the dance, his # would had a good chance to be retired.

If Nicholson would been at SLU, no way I retire his #. Only one I can think of for a retired # at SBU would have been Lanier.

Nicholson deserves it for SBU. Outside of him and Lanier, what else do they have?

The first name for me that jumps to mind is Roland Gray. I did not see Harry Rogers play but some will call for him. Others will include Monroe Douglass, Scott Highmakr, Erwin Claggett. Some more recent could see calls for Lisch, Liddell and Mitchell.

I think you have to play for four years/graduate and would even make graduation a prerequisite (so no to Hughes). I know this hurts some JUCOs but so be it. Maybe if they do indeed get the degree, then that is lifted. Problem is, in these heady times, the pool may be diluted due to overachievements recently.

In my opinion, there is no way that Lisch, McCall or Mitchell deserve their number retired.

I think you could definitely make a case for Claggett.

I also don't think pro success should matter, as one poster said.

Pro success? Who said that? And I agree -- it's only the time in our uniform and it has to be of substantial accomplishments for the individual, team and university. Puck the fros.

In my opinion, there is no way that Lisch, McCall or Mitchell deserve their number retired.

I think you could definitely make a case for Claggett.

I also don't think pro success should matter, as one poster said.

Totally agree on Lisch. He had a great career, but never made the NCAAs much less the NIT. The best thing he has going for him is the academic All-American honors.

McCall and Mitchell each have over 1,000 points and were/are key parts of NCAA teams. I think you can make a case for them, but I don't think they make the cut.

I think Conklin has a pretty good case. NCAA appearance - check. 1,000 points - check, Academic All-American - check. Evans will have a better case if he is an Academic All-American this year.

Claggett has a better case than McCall or Mitchell, but I think Highmark actually has the best case of anyone not currently honored (NCAA appearance (x2 + after a long drought), well over 1,000 points, Academic All-American (x2), plus he continues to be somewhat involved in the program).

I would set some minimum requirements like this:

1. Has to have graduated from SLU - JUCOs/Transfers are okay as long as they get their degree from SLU. Possible exception could be made for someone leaving early for the NBA, but they would need to have had a tremendous influence on the program before leaving and perhaps come back later to complete their degree.

2. Has to have scored over 1,000 points for SLU - This isn't all that difficult in today's game when the team plays at least 30 games each year. JUCOs and transfers still have a shot if they are really good.

3. Has to have made an NCAA appearance with SLU - Possible exception for a deep NIT run (see: Bonner/Gray/Douglas)

4. Has to have made All-Conference 1st team, be an Academic All-American, or All-American

After applying those criteria, you judge the remaining candidates on their own merits.

Pro success? Who said that? And I agree -- it's only the time in our uniform and it has to be of substantial accomplishments for the individual, team and university. Puck the fros.

I said that and still feel for a number and bend for a jersey. Still feel a number retirement should be that super elite player both as a SLU player and as a pro.Remember, Macauley set the benchmark.

You don't want 100s of jerseys and numbers hanging from the ceiling and it becomes irrelevant.

I agree that retiring jerseys needs to be a highly selective endeavor, but for a school that historically doesn't go to the Tournament very often, I think Kwamain has the stats to support retiring his jersey...

- 7th All-Time in Total Points

- 5th All-Time in 3-Point FG Made (and 5th in 3-Point FG Attempted)

- 3rd All-Time in Total Assists

- 3rd All-Time in Steals

- 6th All-Time in Minutes Played

- 8th All-Time in Average Minutes Played

- 10th All-Time in Games Played

- 3rd All-Time in Games Started

- All-Rookie Team 2008-2009

- 2nd Team All-Conference 2009-2010 (3rd Team Preseason All-Conference)

- 3rd Team All-Conference 2011-2012 (2nd Team Preseason All-Conference)

- 3rd Team All-Conference 2012-2013 (1st Team Preseason All-Conference)

- 2011-2012 Anaheim Classic All-Tournament Team

- 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances (1 CBI Appearance)

He showed tremendous loyalty to the program, graduated, and demonstrated outstanding leadership throughout his tenure at SLU. Add in the fact that these stats don't do his clutch gene justice (game winning shot vs Bonaventure, 3 vs Dayton to send the game to overtime, big 3s vs VCU in the A-10 Championship game and Memphis in the Tourney) and I think Mitchell has a pretty good case

Kevin Lisch probably has slightly better overall stats, and I could likely be coaxed into supporting the retiring of his number too, but he never lead us to any sort of post season appearance...that's a huge knock in my opinion, even though he is my favorite Billiken of all time.

I agree that retiring jerseys needs to be a highly selective endeavor, but for a school that historically doesn't go to the Tournament very often, I think Kwamain has the stats to support retiring his jersey...

- 7th All-Time in Total Points

- 5th All-Time in 3-Point FG Made (and 5th in 3-Point FG Attempted)

- 3rd All-Time in Total Assists

- 3rd All-Time in Steals

- 6th All-Time in Minutes Played

- 8th All-Time in Average Minutes Played

- 10th All-Time in Games Played

- 3rd All-Time in Games Started

- All-Rookie Team 2008-2009

- 2nd Team All-Conference 2009-2010 (3rd Team Preseason All-Conference)

- 3rd Team All-Conference 2011-2012 (2nd Team Preseason All-Conference)

- 3rd Team All-Conference 2012-2013 (1st Team Preseason All-Conference)

- 2011-2012 Anaheim Classic All-Tournament Team

- 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances (1 CBI Appearance)

He showed tremendous loyalty to the program, graduated, and demonstrated outstanding leadership throughout his tenure at SLU. Add in the fact that these stats don't do his clutch gene justice (game winning shot vs Bonaventure, 3 vs Dayton to send the game to overtime, big 3s vs VCU in the A-10 Championship game and Memphis in the Tourney) and I think Mitchell has a pretty good case

Kevin Lisch probably has slightly better overall stats, and I could likely be coaxed into supporting the retiring of his number too, but he never lead us to any sort of post season appearance...that's a huge knock in my opinion, even though he is my favorite Billiken of all time.

And missed 1/2 a season with a broken foot

Retire a number is a big deal and should only be done for those super elite players that pass through the program, moved the program to national prominence, and have or had an outstanding pro career. We only have had one and that's Maucauley.

Less prestigious but still very special are retired jerseys. We have 3: Boushka, Bonner & Ferry.

Perhaps if Hughes stayed and graduated with his class and moved us each year to the dance, his # would had a good chance to be retired.

If Nicholson would been at SLU, no way I retire his #. Only one I can think of for a retired # at SBU would have been Lanier.

retired jerseys? WTF is that. like grammy's record of the year, song of the year, release of the year etc. do we need separate retirement levels. so does that mean if a 7'4" guy named Ferry comes along he has to forgo wearing his name on his uniform?

There are no numbers that need to retired besides those already retired. The retired numbers are all-americans and the program's all time leading scorer/rebounder.

+1. The only way a number should be retired is all American status going forward. The Billiken HOF is the best place for guys like Kwamain.