John Manning

lelbron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John looked decent ..... with the caveat that it was against a height-challenged roster from Wofford. I am guessing the kick in the ribs limited his second half minutes? Seemed to be holding his lower right side after that.

That is what these OOC games are for ... finding out about ourselves. This might have been a game for Reggie to show us something but the injury precluded that from happening. However, I ain't getting many warm and fuzzies on Lancona or Crawford.

If I were defending us right now, I'd pack it in. Dare somebody to shoot. Then, given our current inability to hit shots, Dwayne starts pressing (as he did last night) and the middle is clogged all the more. Damn good thing Jett could drive at will and Loe was finishing his layups.

It's time for RL to show us last night's game every game. If teams are going to double DE then it's got to leave RL, GG and the other bigs open. DE's not going to shake off the doubles down low until he starts hitting the mid range jumper like he did late last year. And Taj Mahal '79 I don't know how you can judge TL and MC based on about a total of about a combined 3 minutes of court time. Seems a bit harsh.

It's time for RL to show us last night's game every game. If teams are going to double DE then it's got to leave RL, GG and the other bigs open. DE's not going to shake off the doubles down low until he starts hitting the mid range jumper like he did late last year. And Taj Mahal '79 I don't know how you can judge TL and MC based on about a total of about a combined 3 minutes of court time. Seems a bit harsh.

Last night is what we have seen from RL most games this year. The problem is they don't run enough plays for Rob to get the ball in scoring position. Rob should have had 30 last night.

RL isn't touching 20 while shooting 23% from 3.

He was 5 for 6 from inside the 3 yesterday. They should have been consistently running sets that would have kept feeding him the ball inside yesterday against a team that had no one over 6'7". It would have took pressure off DE, too. The question is why did Crews have them running sets where Loe was operating on the perimeter most of the game? He should have adjusted.

He was 5 for 6 from inside the 3 yesterday. They should have been consistently running sets that would have kept feeding him the ball inside yesterday against a team that had no one over 6'7". It would have took pressure off DE, too. The question is why did Crews have them running sets where Loe was operating on the perimeter most of the game? He should have adjusted.

Maybe because that won't work against teams that do have guys taller than 6'7"? I would hope that against these cupcakes we aren't just trying to exploit their weaknesses over and over, but are actually trying to work on our offense.

Why couldn't Crews figure out why Evans couldn't score one field goal: same for McBroom?. Does Crews run plays like the British Grenadiers versus the Indian fighters in The 1770's? Can Crews learn or adapt? I wondered (up by 20 in first half wouldn't that have been a great time to let TL and MC have strong minutes but) he stays with his starters and subs instead. Would Majerus have shown several different sets possibly even twin towers in OOC games? Crews is predictable I worry we will be out coached in the A10 if he keeps this up. We also have great defenders- why don't we have junkyard dogs like Spoonhauer's teams that used all those short fast substitute guards to annihilate the more talented Grawer led Bills year after year. We have the talent to wreak our own havoc- why don't we use hard nosed ball to stop those streaks that are just grinding us down and taking leads from us. The loss of big leads is really troublesome. Do we start playing clock and sitting on our leads shutting off our own rhythm? I guess I don't understand but it seems we need floor leaders. Maybe the other teams are shutting down our players by watching films. On paper this coaching staff looks like it has better assistants than Majerus had. Something is not right. Drink the koolaid if you want but that 16 point margin did not get us wins against Wichita or Wisconsin and even a 3-6 Wooford team and newly division 1 SIU-E made us look stiff at times.

Why couldn't Crews figure out why Evans couldn't score one field goal: same for McBroom. Does Crews run plays like the British Grenadiers versus the Indian fighters in The 1770's. Can Crews learn or adapt? I wondered up by 20 in first half wouldn't that have been a great time to let TL and MC have strong minutes but he stays with his starters and subs instead. Would Majerus have shown several different sets possibly even twin towers in OOC games. Crews is predictable I worry we will be out coached in the A10 if he keeps this up.

+1 It's almost like he isn't even familiar with his players or with the different lineups. Frustrating

Maybe because that won't work against teams that do have guys taller than 6'7"? I would hope that against these cupcakes we aren't just trying to exploit their weaknesses over and over, but are actually trying to work on our offense.

What game have we made an adjustment in? What has been the offensive identity we would have been straying from by pounding the ball inside? I would argue we have no offensive identity except for being a bad shooting team. I would argue that Rob has shown himself to be a better inside player than outside player this season, but there has been no adjustment made for that.

What game have we made an adjustment in? What has been the offensive identity we would have been straying from by pounding the ball inside? I would argue we have no offensive identity except for being a bad shooting team. I would argue that Rob has shown himself to be a better inside player than outside player this season, but there has been no adjustment made for that.

I'm not happy with the offense and I don't think we have an identity yet. I'm just saying that I think we should be using these games to find that identity rather than just repeatedly going to Loe inside against an over-matched team.

Why couldn't Crews figure out why Evans couldn't score one field goal: same for McBroom?. Does Crews run plays like the British Grenadiers versus the Indian fighters in The 1770's? Can Crews learn or adapt? I wondered (up by 20 in first half wouldn't that have been a great time to let TL and MC have strong minutes but) he stays with his starters and subs instead. Would Majerus have shown several different sets possibly even twin towers in OOC games? Crews is predictable. I worry we will be out coached in the A10 if he keeps this up. We also have great defenders- why don't we have junkyard dogs like Spoonhauer's teams that used all those short fast substitute guards to annihilate the more talented Grawer led Bills year after year. We have the talent to wreak our own havoc- why don't we use hard nosed ball to stop those streaks that are just grinding us down and taking leads from us. The loss of big leads is really troublesome. Do we start playing clock and sitting on our leads shutting off our own rhythm? I guess I don't understand but it seems we need floor leaders. Maybe the other teams are shutting down our players by watching films. On paper this coaching staff looks like it has better assistants than Majerus had. Something is not right. Drink the koolaid if you want but that 16 point margin did not get us wins against Wichita or Wisconsin and even a 3-6 Wooford team and newly division 1 SIU-E made us look stiff at times.

Are you talking about that Jim Crews who won a national coach of the year award or two last year? The one who led SLU to double A-10 championship? That same "predictable" coach?

John looked decent ..... with the caveat that it was against a height-challenged roster from Wofford. I am guessing the kick in the ribs limited his second half minutes? Seemed to be holding his lower right side after that.

That is what these OOC games are for ... finding out about ourselves. This might have been a game for Reggie to show us something but the injury precluded that from happening. However, I ain't getting many warm and fuzzies on Lancona or Crawford.

If I were defending us right now, I'd pack it in. Dare somebody to shoot. Then, given our current inability to hit shots, Dwayne starts pressing (as he did last night) and the middle is clogged all the more. Damn good thing Jett could drive at will and Loe was finishing his layups.

Taj.

Sometimes a guy just can't win. In all fairness, JM has often not even played against teams with smaller bigs b/c it was deemed to be poor match-ups for him. Now, JM has a good game against smaller bigs and his performance is diminished b/c it was against a "height challenged roster?" Really??

As to the youngsters, they just need to play more. IMO, our goal should be to get TL, MC and RA to each play at least 5 minutes per game -- and if they are playing well that game, then of course they should get more time. In short, our 5 Seniors, along with JM, GG and AM, are simply not playing well enough to keep them on the bench. At the same time, playing time is earned (not given) so all I can assume is that MC, TL and RA (when healthy) are not doing enough in practice (or games) to earn the minutes.

As to the roster, I believe that it IS essentially set. JC is going with our 5 Seniors (RL, DE, JJ, MM and JB) along with GG and AM -- a 7 man rotation. JM, TL and RA seem to be in the next tier and MC seems to be in the final tier. The problem, of course, is that our Top 7 are simply just not playing as well as we would like them to. IMO, TL's, RA's and MC's time will be in the future. This year, though, we are going to win or lose with JB and AM's shooting but I don't see the freshmen adding all that much this year.

Are you talking about that Jim Crews who won a national coach of the year award or two last year? The one who led SLU to double A-10 championship? That same "predictable" coach?

I understand where you're coming from, however can you really say Crews looks as good this year as he has the last two years? Shouldn't a coach as great as himself be able to adjust to teams' weaknesses and create some kind of floor leader out of all the talent we have? I sure would think so. This team definitely has some problems to work out before conference play, but regardless I'm anxious to see it play out.

Agree 100% that TL and MC need to get some PT before conference begins. Crews should have been getting them more work now. It really does seem like this team misses leadership on the floor and they need to learn how to play to each others strengths. The lapses we've had in these OOC games will be magniifed in conference if they are not corrected.

If Crews is going to continue to give Crawford less than a minute a game, he should have redshirted him. It seems to me he is wasting Crawford's freshman season.

yeah except 1) what if someone gets hurt?? and 2) what if the kid says no to red-shirting?? there are lots of athletes who figure 4 years is enough. And generally coaches do not force it on a kid who does not want it, and will not play (i.e. Cory Remekun).

I want to also add my 2 cents on JM: that is the kind of game I would like to see, and have been expecting, from him. I'm still bullish on JM for the rest of the year -- and certainly as a senior ! ! !

If Crews is going to continue to give Crawford less than a minute a game, he should have redshirted him. It seems to me he is wasting Crawford's freshman season.

Crawford has already played 32 total minutes this year which is more than Grady played his entire freshman year (29) and approaching the amount Manning played his freshman year (47). We are used to seeing freshman play big minutes because there were no other options. I think most freshman getting less than 100 minutes will be the new norm if Crews can keep the program at it's current level of success.

You don't redshirt those kids because in most cases if they can't crack the rotation their freshman year, you don't want them eating up a scholarship for an extra year. Also, as others have said, you need them in case of an injury.

Red shirting MC would have been a mistake. The only reason you would do that for any player is if you believed with more time he would become bigger and stronger and could really be a force for your team for 4 years after that. MC - I am not dissing him but do you really want to risk keeping him around another and year and him basically using an additional schollie - don't forget just because you red shirt a kid he still keeps his schollie slot - do you really think he would become such a great defender and bomber that you would risk not having the schollie to give after 4 yrs for possibly even a better player. MC may end up being a big surprise but honestly, what makes you think he would be better then others we could recruit with the schollie?

I agree if JM could have the type of game he had Saturday on a consistent basis he would be serviceable - only time will tell.

JC - I agree I am not sure we have seen what he wants this team's offensive identity to be - they seem to be all over the place during games. I heard him say he likes to run more and honestly when the team does that they tend to be better offensively to me but then they make a couple of poor shooting decisions and then it all comes unraveled. Being a running team does not mean you just jack up shots early in the shot clock unless it is the best one you think the team will get in that possession.

@larry72: harsh may be harsh but I am not judging Lancona and Crawford on the Wofford game, rather it's on the body of work to date. You are absolutely right when you say judging on three or four minutes is tough but at the real issue for me is we are playing arguably some dregs of basketball society here ---- SEMO, SIUE, SIUC, Wofford, etc. --- and our freshmen are getting nothing or just one to five minutes. I know the OOC schedule is about 60% complete and yes it takes a while, but I see nothing promising on the horizon base don performances to date to suggest that these guys will contribute even an iota of usefulness right now.

Can that change? Absolutely. Luckily if I'm right, we have 40% to go and left in the OOC. Will it change? I doubt it. Short of Crawford's machine gun run in his first or second appearance, I have seen nothing to indicate otherwise. Which basically means we are riding the horse that brung us. I was hoping for a little help somewhere down the bench.