GDT: SIUe Cougars (11/13/13)

b.hayes

-I agree that SIUE got to the basket more than I would have thought possible, most early in the game

-the coaches were still coaching throughout the game and were not happy about how we closed the game from what I observed

-good to see us make some outside shots

-gosh I hope in a tight game ft's don't bite us

-I wonder about RA, hope to see him on the floor in Methdale

-good to see the other frosh get minutes in the first half, they did ok, lots of room to grow

-was great to see the Billiken being worn by many fans at a road game, albeit very close to home

-SIUE had some talent in the cheer/dance squads, I will disagree with whoever said their band was quality

-let's improve on Saturday and whip the dogs

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also liked what I saw from Lancona. Looks confident for a freshman and demonstrated a good looking shot at the line and from 3. Also, looks pretty mobile for a big guy. He has the potential to have a nice career. I can't believe Washington State has 13 players who are better. Glad we got a gift from that dope Ken Bone. I hope they can the Bonehead after this year. http://seattletimes.com/html/cougarbasketball/2022197559_wsumenpreview06xml.html

After last night our defense is ranked 8th in the country according to Pomeroy. I was a little surprised when I looked at that. Maybe, we all are expecting too much perfection against bad opponents.

+1

We've won games by 23 and 24 points and there's more negativity on the board than positive comments. I'm sure its not unique to Billiken fans to focus on the perceived bad but its certainly interesting.

+1

We've won games by 23 and 24 points and there's more negativity on the board than positive comments. I'm sure its not unique to Billiken fans to focus on the perceived bad but its certainly interesting.

I think there are still people waiting for something bad to happen. The competition gets better this weekend. Coach Crews backed it down pretty quickly after being up 25 at the half.

+1

I am a Chiefs fans and the board of the 9-0 Chiefs are at least 75% negative. We are not alone here

After last night our defense is ranked 8th in the country according to Pomeroy. I was a little surprised when I looked at that. Maybe, we all are expecting too much perfection against bad opponents.

I'm probably guilty of this. I'm just surprised that two relatively bad teams without their best players were able to get as many open looks as they did. SIUe couldn't hit the ocean from the beach for a long stretch, but they had a number of open looks, CS in particular. Our defense has been good, but I believe there are definite areas of improvement and expect our team will be better in those areas as we move further into the season.

I'm probably guilty of this. I'm just surprised that two relatively bad teams without their best players were able to get as many open looks as they did. SIUe couldn't hit the ocean from the beach for a long stretch, but they had a number of open looks, CS in particular. Our defense has been good, but I believe there are definite areas of improvement and expect our team will be better in those areas as we move further into the season.

I'd have to agree with this. Expectations are sky-high with this extremely talented, well-coached basketball team.

23 and 24 point wins...that's a pretty good start. I think we're waiting for that Billiken explosion where they simply destroy somebody for 40 minutes.

Chin up guys, we're already 100% better than we were at this point last season. Our big 3 look like they're already in mid-season form. And our weak-link from last year's starting lineup looks significantly improved. It's gonna be another GREAT season.

Chin up guys, we're already 50% better than we were at this point last season. Our big 3 look like they're already in mid-season form. And our weak-link from last year's starting lineup looks significantly improved. It's gonna be another GREAT season.

You are wise beyond your years, SShoe !

Chin up guys, we're already 50% better than we were at this point last season. Our big 3 look like they're already in mid-season form. And our weak-link from last year's starting lineup looks significantly improved. It's gonna be another GREAT season.

Torch tweeted this late last night but yesterday was only our second true road (i.e. not neutral court) non-conference victory since Majerus took over. The first was SIUC two years ago. The third will be SIUC in two days.

This idea that we tend to pick on the 8-10th players is really a mirage in my opinion. If you think about the rotation without putting names on it then of course it is going to be the last 3-4 players who are getting looked at critically unless the ones in front of them are failing. After all this is where the movement can take place most logically. These are the players who stand the best chance to be replaced by a younger more upside kid. So, when you have a player who has been around for 3 or 4 years and they are still a 9 or 10 in the rotation it makes you wonder if they are worth letting them see the floor especially if you think a younger player may have more potential. Unfortunately, that is where a JB and JM find themselves and last year, it was CR also. We will see this situation every year in my opinion. By the way, the idea that some players in the past are held in greater esteem even though they were only avg as compared to the current roster is another thing that just naturally happens - Presidents who leave office with low approval ratings over time become thought of more highly as time passes - same thing with past players.

I for one think the competition for playing time is a good thing and the rotation should always be a bit in flux - not the starters per se but the 3rd wave for sure. This is how you get better as a team. Remember at the meeting the other night, JC said he plans to have a 9 man rotation but the 9 will change according to who is producing.

Chin up guys, we're already 100% better than we were at this point last season. Our big 3 look like they're already in mid-season form. And our weak-link from last year's starting lineup looks significantly improved. It's gonna be another GREAT season.

+1 Very true

evansville cheerleaders look mature and slutty. pale with bright red lipstick types. love it.

Why were these guys at the game in Southern Illinois?

So slutty!!!!!!

Besides all the tough requirements!!

The blond on the left kind of reminds me of your cousin.

I'm sure the Aces aren't the only thing purple after the game.

+1

Very simple approach you have there -- end of game score is the only stat that matters?

How about playing at home to a not very good team, w/o 2 of its better players (plus a 3rd who will become eligible later) and being down by 1 point at half-time. Also, playing a Wiz-rate "F" team in SIUE and playing them even in the second half? Sorry, but this is cause for concern. Panic? no. Concern and some negativity? yes.

Jett and McCall got to where they wanted whenever they wanted. I was surprised Jordair got blocked a few times and I think he was too. McCall had a great first half and was aces again defensively. Not really concerned about the lack of production in the second half there. Evans did his usual good and Loe was shutout until he went low blocks in the second half. There were a couple of instances where Dwayne tried to set up shop and had Grandy down in the blocks as well. That allows the second and even third defender to collapse on Dwayne which was not the case when the 4/5 combo of Ellis and Loe were perimeter bombers and needed to be accounted for. Have to figure out the how and when of that particular combo when on the court.

Great comments about DE. We all agree that he is a great player. Grandy is playing well and, of course, so is Jett, so now comes the problems of lineup combinations and team of chemistry. In short, we need an outside shooting game and while Jett can make an outside shot, he is best at driving to the hoop, Evans is best at posting-up/inside game and Glaze is now producing but with an even shorter distance/range than Evans. Unless we want to watch our PG and Center be our only real outside threat, we become much easier to defend with Jett, Evans and Glaze in the lineup together.

I believe Crews is well aware of the above and knows that he/we need an outside shooter. If not Barnett, then we will need Lancona and/or Crawford to be the outside threats that both KM and CE were and also to help break the press (against VCU) in that I still don't like Evans, Glaze and Loe being on the floor together trying to break the press. Not only did KM (dribble/passing) and CE (tall/point man passing) help break the press, then then made open 3 to punish VCU for pressing in the first place.

I know its only two games, but JB does NOT look like a 5th year senior. Goes up with the ball and comes down with it then fouls shortly afterwards. As I said a month or so ago, I thought he would start losing minutes to MC as we started into conference play. e.

Nice prediction

Nice prediction

Had second thoughts on your initial post, calling me a dirtbag-nice and very professionial! Good recovery with the edit-there really is no need for namecalling. I hope JB plays better than he did in the first two games, but 4-5 good minutes against Methdale does not make a season.

I guess that also means we shouldn't write him off for his poor outings against SEMO and Methdale Jr.

my point in numerous posts over the past month or so is not to write off Jake but rather to say I think Crawford will get some of his minutes as the season progresses for the simple reason that we will need MC to have some meaningful experience heading into next year and at this point I think he and Jake are interchangeable parts. By that I don't mean that MC is as good as JB at this point but that they are similar in qualities e.g. height, position type of game.

As far as assessing JB at this point of the season, two very poor games from a 5th year senior we were counting on vs 4-5 good minutes in game #3 don't balance out. I hope we see more of what he showed at the end of the 1st half yesterday, in future games because we need it.

my point in numerous posts over the past month or so is not to write off Jake but rather to say I think Crawford will get some of his minutes as the season progresses for the simple reason that we will need MC to have some meaningful experience heading into next year and at this point I think he and Jake are interchangeable parts. By that I don't mean that MC is as good as JB at this point but that they are similar in qualities e.g. height, position type of game.

As far as assessing JB at this point of the season, two very poor games from a 5th year senior we were counting on vs 4-5 good minutes in game #3 don't balance out. I hope we see more of what he showed at the end of the 1st half yesterday, in future games because we need it.

Anything from Jake at this point is unexpected gold .........