Front Court

slu72

Grandy is developing a decent jump shot in practice. Not sure how that will translate to games.

I would really like to know how Grandy was PRIOR to his shoulder injury. No way did UNLV, and then RM/SLU, recruit a guy like him to only be an energy guy. I just have to believe he did his best last year but a should injury has to be devastating to the a basketball player.

Fully agree about the probable effect the shoulder injury may have had upon Grandy's play last year, and this should be extended to the effect the concussion had upon Manning's play last year. Assuming they are fairly well recovered from these their play should improve this season.

Most have written off Crawford as a redshirt candidate but because of our frontline depth I think it will be Lancona or Agbeko.

Standing next to Glaze at Billiken Madness he's changed his body. Lost weight, he's still built like a tree trunk but he's leaner. I had a couple friends at the coaching clinic. Glaze does have a jump shot (and a 3 pointer). He may have had the Conklin summer on this team. Discipline will be the key for him. Staying on his man defensively and not drifting, also picking his spots offensively, and he has to rebound better.

We'll see Loe pick up some of the slack from Ellis. Loe will shoot 5 3s a game, bare minimum, probably more, maybe much more. Ellis took nearly 190 last year. Loe only had 90. Rob will get a good portion of those left over, as will Barnett. Loe also shot much better from 3 in conference. If he can shoot better than 35% he's absolutely deadly.

Manning has to stop picking up fouls and must hit shots from the field. He's highly skilled on both ends. Gets off any shot he wants, his release is really high, his shots are unblockable. He just has to hit them. He'll have some games where he doesn't show up but I bet Manning goes 15-20 points in at least 3 games this year.

Agbeko and Lancona are wild cards. Lancona seems to have the playing time edge for now. If Glaze and Manning are deemed ready to step up and can stay on the court for major minutes I'd expect one of the frosh bigs to redshirt.

A couple things in replacing Ellis. One obviously the charges. He created tons of turnovers every game. Do we have somebody in the frontcourt who can do something similar? Not necessarily getting charging calls? Will Loe pick up his defense? Can Manning get a couple blocks a game? The other thing is small ball. We had some great stretches the last couple seasons during games going small with Conklin or Ellis at the 5. This was sometimes to counteract bigger teams but also teams would go small against us as well and we had to matchup. Who plays the 5 in these scenarios now? We have two 7 footers without much defensive range. Loe and Manning can't handle a perimeter player. Can Glaze rebound enough and play well defensively for a long stretch to pull off this role? Can Lancona do it maybe? This will come up in our league. There aren't many traditional big men for Loe and Manning to match up against. If they get in foul trouble who do we turn to? We don't have a smaller player who can replicate what Ellis and to some extent Remuken did last year in this situation.

The NCAA is trying to change how they call charges this year. The defender now has to be set before the player picks up his dribble. They want to eliminate the slide over move. It will be good for Jordair. It would have been a killer for Cody. Who knows if they will actually call it though.

@torch: Manning is "highly skilled on both ends of the floor." I know what you're trying to say but 5.7/1.7/0.6 is not substantial evidence in my book. I beg to disagree but I also hope you re right. Kevin Larsen did 24.3/8.0/5.2 last year. Jordan Hare did 19.6/5.2/4.0. Both were freshemen albeit in much more depleted rosters. Given that there aren't a whole lot of traditional centers in this league, Manning could/should dominate if indeed highly skilled. Big year coming for the big man.

Fully agree about the probable effect the shoulder injury may have had upon Grandy's play last year, and this should be extended to the effect the concussion had upon Manning's play last year. Assuming they are fairly well recovered from these their play should improve this season.

Yes, you're right, they are similar but I'd also suggest a little different as well in that Manning did play (and play well) before the concussion but then appeared to be limited, injured or just lost his confidence/momentum (or at least the confidence of Crews). In contrast, GG was really injured the whole year and we really didn't get to watch what he could ever do prior to the injury. I sure hope he can do more than aggressively set screens, hustle for rebounds and shoot 5 footers.

Most have written off Crawford as a redshirt candidate but because of our frontline depth I think it will be Lancona or Agbeko.

Standing next to Glaze at Billiken Madness he's changed his body. Lost weight, he's still built like a tree trunk but he's leaner. I had a couple friends at the coaching clinic. Glaze does have a jump shot (and a 3 pointer). He may have had the Conklin summer on this team. Discipline will be the key for him. Staying on his man defensively and not drifting, also picking his spots offensively, and he has to rebound better.

We'll see Loe pick up some of the slack from Ellis. Loe will shoot 5 3s a game, bare minimum, probably more, maybe much more. Ellis took nearly 190 last year. Loe only had 90. Rob will get a good portion of those left over, as will Barnett. Loe also shot much better from 3 in conference. If he can shoot better than 35% he's absolutely deadly.

Manning has to stop picking up fouls and must hit shots from the field. He's highly skilled on both ends. Gets off any shot he wants, his release is really high, his shots are unblockable. He just has to hit them. He'll have some games where he doesn't show up but I bet Manning goes 15-20 points in at least 3 games this year.

Agbeko and Lancona are wild cards. Lancona seems to have the playing time edge for now. If Glaze and Manning are deemed ready to step up and can stay on the court for major minutes I'd expect one of the frosh bigs to redshirt.

A couple things in replacing Ellis. One obviously the charges. He created tons of turnovers every game. Do we have somebody in the frontcourt who can do something similar? Not necessarily getting charging calls? Will Loe pick up his defense? Can Manning get a couple blocks a game? The other thing is small ball. We had some great stretches the last couple seasons during games going small with Conklin or Ellis at the 5. This was sometimes to counteract bigger teams but also teams would go small against us as well and we had to matchup. Who plays the 5 in these scenarios now? We have two 7 footers without much defensive range. Loe and Manning can't handle a perimeter player. Can Glaze rebound enough and play well defensively for a long stretch to pull off this role? Can Lancona do it maybe? This will come up in our league. There aren't many traditional big men for Loe and Manning to match up against. If they get in foul trouble who do we turn to? We don't have a smaller player who can replicate what Ellis and to some extent Remuken did last year in this situation.

A lot of questions to answer which will be answered in 2+ weeks. Your analysis does not seem to show that you know what you are talking about either without some real facts. If anyone is implying that that 10 minutes of glorified all star game, no defense performance this past Saturday at Billiken Madness is a glimpse of what is to come then you may be reading too much into it.

A lot of questions to answer which will be answered in 2+ weeks. Your analysis does not seem to show that you know what you are talking about either without some real facts. If anyone is implying that that 10 minutes of glorified all star game, no defense performance this past Saturday at Billiken Madness is a glimpse of what is to come then you may be reading too much into it.

I'm simply speculating from what I've seen and heard from this past season and offseason. Certainly though take it with a grain of salt, I'm just another message board moron.

some people are suggesting that RA may be the odd man out, somehow; and/or that TL will be getting big minutes.

I will not go into detail, and I may be wrong. But I cannot see how they can keep RA off the floor. I'm not sure who he is like in billiken history but I don't see a comparable player on the roster. Not saying he is a starter or anything like that; but I'm pretty confident RA will be surprising some folks on here this year, based on the comments about redshirting etc.

I also think GG and JM will both be much improved, and get lots of minutes. Both have injury problems last year and fans need to be aware that the extent of injuries is not always fully explained. I really thought the Houston fans were idiots cheering when Matt Schaub got hurt against the Rams; athletes lay their bodies on the line. Given these are (again) just college kids, let's be charitable for these players, they both had pretty serious injuries. I think they are both pretty healthy -- for now.

By the way; redshirting used to be mainly (I believe) for injury related matters: and I always try to remember that kids get hurt. None of us knows if or when that injury bug may hit the Bills but it seems like every year something does happen, so redshirting may end up taking care of itself to some extent. KM did not redshirt last year but he missed a lot of the season, which affected the rotation quite a bit. It may happen again, which might give a kid like RA or Crawford some minutes they would not normally get.

Finally for Austin: yes, very very quick and fast but bigger guards will be a big matchup issue for him, defensively, so that's the rub there.

Doctor B, you could see the issue of the Houston fans cheering when Matt Schaub got hurt during the Houston Rams game as a modern manifestation of the kind of likes and emotions that fueled the gladiator battles in the Roman circus. After all, it has only been a couple of thousand years since the Roman era, it will take a lot longer than that to get the blood and hurt thirst out of the human race.

And yes, the issue of the extent of a particular injury affecting a particular player is never disclosed in full, even when said player continues playing he may be significantly limited by his injury.

I will not go into detail, and I may be wrong. But I cannot see how they can keep RA off the floor. I'm not sure who he is like in billiken history but I don't see a comparable player on the roster. Not saying he is a starter or anything like that; but I'm pretty confident RA will be surprising some folks on here this year, based on the comments about redshirting etc.

If you have the time, I'd actually like it if you went into detail since you probably have some reliable information.

I'll go with the good Doctor on his RA spin. Dr B was the only poster who was telling us to look at DE 4 years ago when everyone was oohing and aaahing about MM, RL, and JJ. Not that those guys have disappointed at all, but DE definitely turned out to be the real gem of that class.

The Good DoctorB is the only one I know of on here that has first hand knowledge on what RA has developed into under Crews and company since May. He is also right that we have not had a Billiken like him ever. From what I know he is a bigger version of DE with size, athleticism, and a rebounding nightmare.. I will leave it at that and let the public wait till opening night for our boys to handle their business for once. No more polls, speculation, slushy articles, just rugged Billiken basketball at its finest.

The Good DoctorB is the only one I know of on here that has first hand knowledge on what RA has developed into under Crews and company since May. He is also right that we have not had a Billiken like him ever. From what I know he is a bigger version of DE with size, athleticism, and a rebounding nightmare.. I will leave it at that and let the public wait till opening night for our boys to handle their business for once. No more polls, speculation, slushy articles, just rugged Billiken basketball at its finest.

This description sounds a lot like Anthony Bonner! Wouldn't that be nice.

the one video clip of RA recieving a pass from Ash was enough for me. The pass was too far out in front of him he adjusted, soft hands gathered the pass and an easy powerful move to the basket with court awareness. That and the prep school video of the drive from the top of the key with a punishing finish, he will get minutes. It will take him some time to acclimate to the college games, but he has the skills to do it. I pity the poor back up who comes in to give his teammate a rest while Evans rests, he will have to deal with Reggie.

Can't wait to be up 30 at half so we can see the young guns get some minutes late.

Can't wait to be up 30 at half so we can see the young guns get some minutes late.

The young guns may be a part of the reason we are up 30. Also, remember, there were many who thought Reed should take a red shirt and that Thompson would be a better player. I believe those who think Agbeko should red shirt are way off base. On what are they basing that?

I predict that this particular freshman will get major minutes because of the mismatch issues he creates on offense and his workman mentality on the glass. Any kid that can outrebound a Top 100 frontcourt by himself has my vote.