Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crews needs to show Tatum the film from the Duke/Mercer game last year and remind him that he could easily be a "one and done" in the tourney at Duke

Nah. Our recruitment of him isn't to try show why we're better than Duke or the other schools. If it was we wouldn't stand a chance. We're different. We're the hometown team. We're his family's team. And he can win here. And he can be a lottery pick after playing here. He can build a legacy here of monstrous proportions.

Nah. Our recruitment of him isn't to try show why we're better than Duke or the other schools. If it was we wouldn't stand a chance. We're different. We're the hometown team. We're his family's team. And he can win here. And he can be a lottery pick after playing here. He can build a legacy here of monstrous proportions.

I don't think the point of showing him that is to say we are better than Duke but basically it is to say that he may be impressed right now with the fact Duke is national champions, but they can just as easily be one and done the next year. Going far in the tournament isn't a guarantee no matter what school he would pick, it really would be on him that year to be the leader to take whatever team as far as it will go.

It is unfortunate that they won the national championship now thinking about it as I'm sure them visiting him in home right after made a good impression. If they would've lost second round and visited him right after, I think the wow factor would be a lot less.

Funny cuz I just read a 4 page article in sports illustrated all about him staying home. His AAU coach is quoted saying he believes Tatum will make an unconventional decision

Was there an entire 4 page article just about him? I have read the little paragraph from si with his dad's quote at the end but not sure if there was more in the magazine. At the end of the paragraph they did say that his decision will "shock" the basketball world, which, let's face it, there is only 1 choice on his final four that would shock the basketball world.

Also, was the AAU quote in the si article?

This

That is basically the point I was making in my prior post. We are plainly not better than Duke or the other schools, not in basketball. Our advantage is not in basketball at all.

I agree 100 % with you. Sometimes I think about a list of "Where are they now?" If JT in truly interested in his legacy in his hometown, he might want to think about some of the big time stars who left STL for bigger programs. Do you ever hear anything about Cris Carrawell, the big center to went to Georgetown (I can't even think of his name), Ryan Robertson just to name a few. Then think about some of the "lesser" stars who stayed home, AB, SH and EC. They all get mentions on a somewhat regular basis. And of course, The Legend is only The Legend because he stayed home, even if only for a year.

Given the fact that JT is at least as heralded as LH was coming out of high school, I think Jayson could forever write his name in local basketball lore by staying local.

If you really want him to come to SLU, then don't post like this. The kid has been a SLU fan all his life and might want to play in front of his family every night while putting his hometown team back on the map. Our coaching staff will prepare him well as he receives A10 POY, takes us to the Final Four then never has to pay for dinner again in the city of St. Louis because he is a hometown hero.

actually the BEST option to maximize his nba potential is saint louis. he goes to duke, kentucky, or north carolina he will share the spotlight. granted he gets more appearances on national tv but nba scouts dont really do their job watching espn on monday and tuesday night. Michael jordan didnt even average 20 points a game while at carolina. this year's kentucky team didnt have anyone average 26 minutes played per game. the towns kid only averaged 21 minutes per game. think about that. the best freshman in the country didnt even play 22 minutes a game.

If Jayson goes to slu, like his godfather Larry Hughes did, he will get the opportunity to carry the team. he will play as much as he wants. he will always take the last shot. He will really show how much of a leader, and difference maker he can be and be afforded the chance to carry the the team on his shoulders. every team will throw their best defense and defenders at him. when he dominates still, the world will know that jayson tatum is the man. i would be willing to say that his stock goes from a sure top 10 pick to the first pick simply by becoming a billiken and dominating.

i will never forget the boosters meeting the summer before larry came to slu and someone asked spoon just how good larry was. spoon, the man who downplayed everything about his team, his self always playing the "aw shucks" game with the people, looked down, then looked at us again with the most serious look on his face and said, "larry hughes is not a good player, he is a great player. he will make plays and win games that you all have never seen at saint louis before." I am sure if spoon were here today, we would hear the same thing if someone asked him "how good is jayson tatum".

if i was jayson's father, i would tell him to go to the only place that maximizes his talents, gives him a real college experience off the court, and allows him to play in front of his family and friends every game. the only place that will give him a chance to become the hometown legend that followed Hughes, Bonner and Easy Ed to immortality. Stay home Jayson. if you really want a chance to be all you can be, be a billiken.

Do you ever hear anything about Cris Carrawell, the big center to went to Georgetown (I can't even think of his name), Ryan Robertson just to name a few. Then think about some of the "lesser" stars who stayed home, AB, SH and EC. They all get mentions on a somewhat regular basis. And of course, The Legend is only The Legend because he stayed home, even if only for a year.

Do guys lose their legacy locally just because they leave town for one year? With us not having a NBA team, he is going to be playing outside of St. Louis for the majority of his basketball career, so I question whether it really matters. If he becomes a star in the league like Brad Beal or David Lee while giving a nod to his hometown, the St. Louis sports fan will still treat him as a legend. I think the legacy is developed by what these local kids do in college (see Ezekiel Elliott) and at the next level (Beal, Lee, Ryan Howard, etc.), not where they go to college. If he goes to Duke or Kentucky, the majority of his games will be on national tv and St. Louis sports fans will still follow him. You picked some of the best players in our program's history to prove your point in Hughes, Bonner, Highmark, and Claggett. I think you could argue that Clagget and Highmark built a legacy locally because of what they accomplished at SLU and the team accomplished not necessarily because they were local kids. Are Dwayne Polk or Luke Meyer regularly mentioned locally? Jayson Tatum is going to be a hometown hero for most St. Louis sports fans regardless of this decision.

Do guys lose their legacy locally just because they leave town for one year? With us not having a NBA team, he is going to be playing outside of St. Louis for the majority of his basketball career, so I question whether it really matters. If he becomes a star in the league like Brad Beal or David Lee while giving a nod to his hometown, the St. Louis sports fan will still treat him as a legend. I think the legacy is developed by what these local kids do in college (see Ezekiel Elliott) and at the next level (Beal, Lee, Ryan Howard, etc.), not where they go to college. If he goes to Duke or Kentucky, the majority of his games will be on national tv and St. Louis sports fans will still follow him. You picked some of the best players in our program's history to prove your point in Hughes, Bonner, Highmark, and Claggett. I think you could argue that Clagget and Highmark built a legacy locally because of what they accomplished at SLU and the team accomplished not necessarily because they were local kids. Are Dwayne Polk or Luke Meyer regularly mentioned locally? Jayson Tatum is going to be a hometown hero for most St. Louis sports fans regardless of this decision.

i disagree. people will say there goes brad beal or david lee, but they wont treat him with the adoration that a hometown guy like hughes gets. hell if erwin claggett and david lee were walking through the mall, i would go to claggett to shake his hand and thank him, i would nod my head at david lee.

actually the BEST option to maximize his nba potential is saint louis. he goes to duke, kentucky, or north carolina he will share the spotlight. granted he gets more appearances on national tv but nba scouts dont really do their job watching espn on monday and tuesday night. Michael jordan didnt even average 20 points a game while at carolina. this year's kentucky team didnt have anyone average 26 minutes played per game. the towns kid only averaged 21 minutes per game. think about that. the best freshman in the country didnt even play 22 minutes a game.

If Jayson goes to slu, like his godfather Larry Hughes did, he will get the opportunity to carry the team. he will play as much as he wants. he will always take the last shot. He will really show how much of a leader, and difference maker he can be and be afforded the chance to carry the the team on his shoulders. every team will throw their best defense and defenders at him. when he dominates still, the world will know that jayson tatum is the man. i would be willing to say that his stock goes from a sure top 10 pick to the first pick simply by becoming a billiken and dominating.

i will never forget the boosters meeting the summer before larry came to slu and someone asked spoon just how good larry was. spoon, the man who downplayed everything about his team, his self always playing the "aw shucks" game with the people, looked down, then looked at us again with the most serious look on his face and said, "larry hughes is not a good player, he is a great player. he will make plays and win games that you all have never seen at saint louis before." I am sure if spoon were here today, we would hear the same thing if someone asked him "how good is jayson tatum".

if i was jayson's father, i would tell him to go to the only place that maximizes his talents, gives him a real college experience off the court, and allows him to play in front of his family and friends every game. the only place that will give him a chance to become the hometown legend that followed Hughes, Bonner and Easy Ed to immortality. Stay home Jayson. if you really want a chance to be all you can be, be a billiken.

I get it. I do. I was in school at SLU during the Hughes year and it was magical. The 2016 team seemingly would have more talent than Hughes' team and the A10 is no 1997-1998 CUSA so he would be able to dominate. He has a tough decision.

The truth is none of us know precisely what his legacy would be. Having the best junior in the land and the most talented roster in the state hasn't gotten Chaminade to a championship game. We're all painting rosy best-case scenarios because that's what fans do. I love slu72's comment about community service. The notion of community is practically a dead concept in modern America when it comes to critical life decisions. If such a choice were to be made anywhere, though, it would be in a provincial town like St. Louis.

Jayson Tatum owes us absolutely nothing. He has no obligation to set the local recruiting dominos in motion. He doesn't owe us a Sweet 16. He doesn't have to turn his college decision into an act of giving. But it sure would be awesome if he did. That would be an awe-inspiring story that transcends basketball.

Great post. This is what we're selling. No more, no less.

The truth is none of us know precisely what his legacy would be. Having the best junior in the land and the most talented roster in the state hasn't gotten Chaminade to a championship

game. We're all painting rosy best-case scenarios because that's what fans do. I love slu72's comment about community service. The notion of community is practically a dead concept in

modern America when it comes to critical life decisions. If such a choice where to be made anywhere, though, it would be a provincial town like St. Louis.

Jayson Tatum owes us absolutely nothing. He has no obligation to set the local recruiting dominos in motion. He doesn't owe us a Sweet 16. He doesn't have to turn his college decision into an act of giving. But it sure would be awesome if he did. That would be an awe-inspiring story that transcends basketball.

Most kids that grow up in Stl will defend St. Louis till death. As much as St. Louisans shoot themsleves in the foot with the we pull, stl born and raised always take a lot of pride in their hometown. Add that to the fact that his parents both went to SLU and his godfather dominated at

SLU, I can see why he is strongly considering us still. Not saying Lee or Beal didn't have hometown pride, but they also didn't have their inner family circle having blue and white running through their veins.

God damn I'm hyped

Great post broy

Most kids that grow up in Stl will defend St. Louis till death. As much as St. Louisans shoot themsleves in the foot with the ###### we pull, stl born and raised always take a lot of pride in their hometown. Add that to the fact that his parents both went to SLU and his godfather dominated at

SLU, I can see why he is strongly considering us still. Not saying Lee or Beal didn't have hometown pride, but they also didn't have their inner family circle having blue and white running through their veins.

Well based on his final four, I don't think there is any denying that Blue and white is running through his veins.

I agree with Roy. SLU gives him the best chance to craft his game, and I would say that he already has a better supporting cast than Hughes did. Much of Hughes support were freshman like him. This Freshman class will be juniors and Neufeld and Welmer will have a year under their belt.

Most kids that grow up in Stl will defend St. Louis till death. As much as St. Louisans shoot themsleves in the foot with the ###### we pull, stl born and raised always take a lot of pride in their hometown. Add that to the fact that his parents both went to SLU and his godfather dominated at

Only problem is most don't associate SLU with the city but Tatum does.