Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know much about Harry Giles and his recruitment? From a google search I can see he has cut his list to 8 with the other same 3 as Jayson's. Just curious if anybody follows recruiting closely enough to know if he has a couple favorites. I could see if he goes to Duke that would big a bigger pull to get Jayson to go to Duke but if he goes to Wake Forest, it might help SLU slightly.

Also, will Tyler Cook plan on cutting his list down? I don't even know if SLU would make a cut on that list as he seems to want to go away to school but just curious who his top schools would be.

Total guess here, but I think SLU will be on Cook's list when/if he cuts his list down. I don't think they're a "package deal" but I also don't think we get Cook without Tatum. I do think we can get Tatum and not Cook though.

Who else are we seriously recruiting in this class? Non local kids. Don't want to put all our eggs in the local kid basket and then walk away with another Welmer

Total guess here, but I think SLU will be on Cook's list when/if he cuts his list down. I don't think they're a "package deal" but I also don't think we get Cook without Tatum. I do think we can get Tatum and not Cook though.

Who else are we seriously recruiting in this class? Non local kids. Don't want to put all our eggs in the local kid basket and then walk away with another Welmer

Why would you trash one of our incoming kids before he even puts on a Bills practice jersey? Come on we can be better than that even if we are MBMs!

Are any of Jayson former Memphis AAU teammates high level recruits?

I hope that we could start recruiting Memphis more. Roby and Tatum might help open a few doors during this recruiting class.

Why would you trash one of our incoming kids before he even puts on a Bills practice jersey? Come on we can be better than that even if we are MBMs!

That probably came across the wrong way. I meant I don't want another Welmer as in a not highly rated recruit that didn't have any other big offers. Yes recruiting rankings don't mean everything, but Welmer probably isn't an instant impact guy

Does anybody know much about Harry Giles and his recruitment?

Duke is considered the leader for Harry Giles with UNC and Wake also in the mix. Being a North Carolina kid, he has some solid in-state options with Wake being the closest for him I believe. The other guy largely considered to be part of the package deal is another North Carolina kid, Dennis Smith. The leaders for Smith appear to be Duke, UNC, Louisville, North Carolina State, and Kansas all in the mix. I think I read Smith may wait until the spring to decide. More of these top recruits appear to be waiting until the spring after they know which guys are going pro and which guys are staying.

Duke is considered the leader for Harry Giles with UNC and Wake also in the mix. Being a North Carolina kid, he has some solid in-state options with Wake being the closest for him I believe. The other guy largely considered to be part of the package deal is another North Carolina kid, Dennis Smith. The leaders for Smith appear to be Duke, UNC, Louisville, North Carolina State, and Kansas all in the mix. I think I read Smith may wait until the spring to decide. More of these top recruits appear to be waiting until the spring after they know which guys are going pro and which guys are staying.

Thanks for the info. Not very surprising Duke seems to be the leader for all 3. Would all 3 of them even be able to commit in the fall based on scholarships available at Duke?

Either way it sounds like Jayson may be the first to decide where to go. Should be a fun few months of speculation.

Thanks for the info. Not very surprising Duke seems to be the leader for all 3. Would all 3 of them even be able to commit in the fall based on scholarships available at Duke?

Either way it sounds like Jayson may be the first to decide where to go. Should be a fun few months of speculation.

You can oversign and I would have to imagine Duke would oversign for those three kids.

Duke is wide open for 2016. What with Winslow joining Okafor in declaring for the draft, this leaves only six of their eight scholarship players still on board. Meaning seven open scholarships. They have two kids under LOIs for this coming year which then bumps it back up to eight. Meaning five to play with between incoming spring signees and Jayson's class. Plus, when 2016 rolls around they will drop seniors Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee from their rolls. Duke is in fine shape to do whatever Duke wants.

Does anybody know how many of Jayson's games Crews went to this year? Just read the Q&A with Justin Tatum on stltoday about Mizzou's recruiting of him and he mentioned he saw him there are 2. There was also the mention in the SI article from Justin about Jayson noticing when Crews and Anderson aren't there. Just curious the amount of games Crews would have went to compared to other coaches in his final 4.

Do guys lose their legacy locally just because they leave town for one year? With us not having a NBA team, he is going to be playing outside of St. Louis for the majority of his basketball career, so I question whether it really matters. If he becomes a star in the league like Brad Beal or David Lee while giving a nod to his hometown, the St. Louis sports fan will still treat him as a legend. I think the legacy is developed by what these local kids do in college (see Ezekiel Elliott) and at the next level (Beal, Lee, Ryan Howard, etc.), not where they go to college. If he goes to Duke or Kentucky, the majority of his games will be on national tv and St. Louis sports fans will still follow him. You picked some of the best players in our program's history to prove your point in Hughes, Bonner, Highmark, and Claggett. I think you could argue that Clagget and Highmark built a legacy locally because of what they accomplished at SLU and the team accomplished not necessarily because they were local kids. Are Dwayne Polk or Luke Meyer regularly mentioned locally? Jayson Tatum is going to be a hometown hero for most St. Louis sports fans regardless of this decision.

Yes. They do to some degree. Bradley Beal and David Lee will not be remembered as great St. Louis basketball products nearly as much as they would if they had gone to SLU. It doesn't change who they are or what kind of basketball player they became, but their "St. Louis" legacy is definitely different than it would have been if they had gone to SLU.

Does anybody know how many of Jayson's games Crews went to this year? Just read the Q&A with Justin Tatum on stltoday about Mizzou's recruiting of him and he mentioned he saw him there are 2. There was also the mention in the SI article from Justin about Jayson noticing when Crews and Anderson aren't there. Just curious the amount of games Crews would have went to compared to other coaches in his final 4.

FWIW Crews and Tanner were at every one of his games this last session.

FWIW Crews and Tanner were at every one of his games this last session.

That's impossible. SLU and Chaminade had some games at the same times, some of which were road games for one or both teams:

http://www.chaminade-stl.org/ccps_athletics/teams/team/index.aspx?TeamID=1385

http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93215&SPSID=632626&DB_OEM_ID=27200

That's impossible. SLU and Chaminade had some games at the same times, some of which were road games for one or both teams:

http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93215&SPSID=632626&DB_OEM_ID=27200

EBYL session, sorry.

I was only talking about the most recent AAU tourney.

Geesh guys, are you sure you are getting all the fly shxt out of the pepper???? Bottom line......we all LOVE SLU basketball and believe that JT staying home will give them a chance at having another good run. It is exciting to think about and if he does in fact stay home it will get even more exciting!!!

EBYL session, sorry.

I was only talking about the most recent AAU tourney.

Oh, got it. I read too fast and mixed up the words "session" and "season" there. I also think the question was referring to his HS season.

Geesh guys, are you sure you are getting all the fly shxt out of the pepper???? Bottom line......we all LOVE SLU basketball and believe that JT staying home will give them a chance at having another good run. It is exciting to think about and if he does in fact stay home it will get even more exciting!!!

Uh...what? Where did I say otherwise?

Oh, got it. I read too fast and mixed up the words "session" and "season" there. I also think the question was referring to his HS season.

Yea I was just curious if some of the people who went to some of Jayson's games could say they saw Crews at "x" amount of games so we know he was at that many. Obviously there were scheduling conflicts and other things so he wouldn't be at them all, just curious for a ballpark number.

Not a big deal as has been stated on here many times, there are many reasons why he would pick SLU and Crews is not the biggest but just curious. I was very glad to see him and Tanner at every one recently.

-I would like to see Stu do the same q&a from a SLU pov

-I wonder if anything to be read into the number three given the list is now four....But we didn’t want to waste Kim Anderson’s time or have anyone think Missouri was one of his top three, because they really weren’t. We wanted to make sure to get that out there.

-I would like to see Stu do the same q&a from a SLU pov

-I wonder if anything to be read into the number three given the list is now four....But we didn’t want to waste Kim Anderson’s time or have anyone think Missouri was one of his top three, because they really weren’t. We wanted to make sure to get that out there.

Unfortunately, it looks like Stu is as disinterested in SLU recruiting as Timmermann was.

Unfortunately, it looks like Stu is as disinterested in SLU recruiting as Timmermann was.

Do you really think it's an issue with Durango or more of an issue of SLU fans not demonstrating their support for the program. Look at the few SLU stories done online. How many comments or likes are associated with it? I'm sure they have the analytics to see who views what stories.

Do you really think it's an issue with Durango or more of an issue of SLU fans not demonstrating their support for the program. Look at the few SLU stories done online. How many comments or likes are associated with it? I'm sure they have the analytics to see who views what stories.

You are probably right. I think the analytics show that SLU fans were clamoring for Timmermann's travelogues and that people want to hear from Durando about a local woman winning a marathon or some swimming event in 2020 that the Sports Commission is bidding on. Even though numerous other local and national reporters tweeted that SLU got a commitment from a PG out of NYC and that SLU has been named a finalist by the #1 recruit in the country, clearly the analytics show that SLU's beat writer should not write an article, blog or even a tweet about any of this recruiting news.

There is definitely something to the fact that they will base it on readers. I think they stopped sending Stu on trips towards the end of the season probably because not enough people kept reading game stories of losses.

However there is some disinterest on his part too. He didn't even retweet the news or say anything about the fact SLU is in his top 4. That requires basically no effort on his part. I mean Brian haenchen wrote a little story about the news for insidestl.com. In general SLU recruiting probably wouldn't be a big read on stltoday, but I would think the top local kid being the recruit changes that.

I would like to see some local media talk to Justin about SLU. I was disappointed when Frank had Larry Hughes on his show the other day and they talked about Jayson as a player but not really much into his recruitment.