Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a coupon code for 247 sports so I used it for one free month just to see this interview from a Duke reporter with Tatum.....Enjoy. (this is from January 23rd)

What's it like going up against someone like that who's constantly scoring on the other end? Do you feel like you have to answer?
It's not so much about going back and forth, you know, in the flow of the game, you've got open looks, so I feel like you've got to create and take the opportunity, but you know, I'm real good friends and, you know, I know he's a hell of a player.
(Ben Roberts)How often do you talk to Coach Calipari or that staff or just anybody from Kentucky?
I talk to him pretty often and Coach Kenny Payne, as well.
In terms of upcoming trips, what do you have planned?
I'm trying to take an official visit to the Duke and Syracuse game.
In that first half, you really got that step-back jumper going. Is that something that you feel you have complete confidence in?
Yeah, mid-post area is probably my strong point. You know, he's shorter than me, so I feel like I can take him down there and shoot over the top.
What have you been working most on in the past six to eight months?
Really perfecting the mid-post and, you know, my jumper, you know, just trying to get that complete.
(Ben Roberts) With Duke being your first possible official visit, should anybody read anything into that that they'd be the first ones getting the first official visit?
Uh, yeah, that would be my first official visit.
(Roberts) Does that mean anything? Are they your favorite at this point?
No, I don't have a favorite just yet. The opportunity presented itself that I could take that visit.
What schools are on your list right now?
Yeah, I cut it down to ten, I think, when school started.
I got them, I just wanted to make sure. Anybody else that you're looking at official visits to this season or in the near future?
I know there are schools I want to get to like North Carolina, you know, I haven't been there, as well as Arizona, UConn, Wake Forest. I think I've been to all of the other schools that are still on my list.
So basically, finish out the ones you haven't seen yet.
Yes, exactly.
(Roberts) Are there any schools working the hardest right now?
They all pretty much keep in contact. Some assistant coaches I text every, every other day.
In terms of comments on each of them, let's say Arizona. What has their discussion been with you? What do you know about them?
I talk to Coach Sean Miller every once in a while. You know, I obviously get to see them play in the national games.
Connecticut?
I haven't talked to Coach Ollie in a week or two, but you know, he calls me every so often, especially he calls my mom. They talk pretty often.
Duke.
Duke is probably one of the top three schools that I keep in contact with who texts me the most. Coach Capel, Coach K, Coach Scheyer, you know, we always talk.
Illinois. They were here
I just went to the Illinois game in St. Louis. I have a great relationship with Coach Walker. You know, he went to college with my dad, Coach Groce, they were one of the first schools to offer me in eighth grade, early ninth grade.
Kansas?
I went to Kansas in the fall of this year and they went to one of my first games and a couple of practices.
Kentucky?
Coach Cal was out there today. He likes to keep in touch often.
Missouri?
I went to the Mizzou game. I took a visit up there right after I went to Late Night at the Phog. I went to go see a football game. I think that's the second most place I've visited. It's not too far from my house.
North Carolina?
Roy Williams came to see me play earlier this year. He came to a game with an assistant coach and, you know, that's one school I'm looking to visit as well.
St. Louis?
SLU? I've probably been there every other week. It's downtown. It's like eight minutes from my house.
Did they offer you when you were in eighth grade?
No, SLU didn't offer me until the end of ninth grade.
Were they one of the first to get on-board?
No, they were one of the last.
And the last school is Wake.
Wake Forest, you know, Coach Manning, I talk to him a lot. He texted me "Happy Holidays" and things like that.
Have any of these visits stood out over the others or one or two that you especially liked over the last couple of years? You've been on a lot.
I enjoy myself at all of them. I go to SLU, I get a lot of love. A lot of fans know me. When I go to Kansas or Kentucky, there's a lot more recruits.
How much pressure do you feel to go to St. Louis, Missouri, or Illinois? You know, one of the local choices. Is there a lot of pressure?
You know, a lot of people in the city SLU, because my dad and Larry Hughes went there. I feel like it would be a great place for me to put St. Louis on the map. I just want to weigh my options out for which one's the best for me.
Is there any kind of time table for cutting to five or maybe a more manageable list?
Maybe cut it down to five around AAU season to really get serious about this college thing, but you know, I don't really know.
Do you feel like you're a young leader on this team? It's a very young team. I'm just curious about what you think your role is on this program.
Yeah, ever since probably halfway through my freshman year, I've got the respect, especially these guys. We've been friends for a long time and, you know, even though I'm young, most of these guys look up to me for the work I put in on the court.
In terms of today, I thought you were rebounding the ball better, passing the ball, even more than you were at the Eagles. Do you view yourself more as a multi-dimensional player now than you were?
Yeah. I feel like I improve every year. As I get older, stronger, quicker, you know, as I develop my game, I show I'm a complete player.
You've been working with Brad Beal still? Do you stay in contact with him?
Yeah, Brad's like my older brother. I've known him since before he went to college, in high school and middle school. We lived in the same neighborhood and in the summertime, he came and picked me up every day. We'd just go hang out and go to the gym. I text Brad every other day, you know, just see what he's doing. When he's in the season, I don't see him too much, but he comes over sometimes, he always calls me in the morning.
Do you get to watch him play much?
Yeah, when he's on TV and this year, we went to DC to DeMatha and we got to go, he played against the Clippers. He had twenty-nine.
In terms of physically, what are you working on?
Just trying to stay healthy. We have a long season ahead of us. You know, just trying to keep my body right.
How do you feel overall about your season so far?
There were probably two games we should have won. The first game we lost was our first game. Especially against DeMatha, I really feel like we should have won that game because in St. Louis, we dominate.
What's your relationship like with V.J. King?
We know each other well through USA Basketball and built the relationship and we're really close.
(Another reporter) I know you're looking at some of the same schools. Is that someone you wouldn't mind playing with down the road?
We talk about it, but I'm not sure. We played on the same team twice and we know each other's strengths and I think we play well together.
During your matchup with V.J. King, do you talk at all on the floor with him? Or do you go about your business?
Towards the end towards the fourth quarter, we were up twenty-five, thirty, you know, I gave him a little trouble about it. Earlier, he said he was gonna get me by twenty, so I had to let him know about that.
It seemed like you got more aggressive in the second half and sort of played your game. Can you talk about what you wanted to come out with in the second half?
The first half I was struggling with turnovers and couldn't buy a basket. I was rebounding pretty well the first half, but besides that, you know, I'm just glad the other guys on the team the first half picked it up, you know, just gave me a chance the second half of the game.
I know you're scheduled to visit Duke at the end of February. Do you have any other visits scheduled at this point?
No, I don't.
Is it accurate about you cutting down your list before AAU season? Can you address that?
Yeah, I hope to cut it down to about five or so. When AAU season comes around, I'll get more serious about deciding where I want to go.
(Steve Jones, Kentucky reporter) Who are the ones that you hear from the most often?
I know Coach Roy Williams was the last head coach to see me before and Coach Ollie was out there. Coach Roy Williams came to see me this past Thursday.
Are you enjoying the process? How's the whole recruiting thing going for you the past year?
It's a good thing all of these coaches wanting my attention. It's been very nice and I enjoy it.
(Jones, Kentucky reporter) What is your interest level in Kentucky right now?
I have very high interest. You know, they offered me when I was a sophomore or freshman. I have a really good relationship with Coach Cal. I've been there twice. You know, we talk pretty often.
(Jones) Looking back, what did it mean to you that you were the first kid in your class that they offered? They don't usually offer kids that early.
It meant a lot. I was pretty excited when I got that phone call and I've just been trying to work hard ever since.
What did Coach Williams say to you when he came to visit if he talked to you at all?
I talked to him after the game and he just wanted to tell me that they really would like me to know that they were still recruiting me and that they'd love to have somebody like me as a player there.
(Jones, Kentucky reporter) Jayson, I guess the last time Calipari saw you was in West Virginia? Probably like two weeks ago or three weeks ago? Did he talk to you afterwards?
Yeah, he just told me that, you know, he loved the way I played and he said he'd love to coach me one day and just to improve and knock it. He told me to average twenty rebounds just to set that bar that high.
Twenty rebounds?
Yeah, and that if I don't reach it and get fifteen or sixteen rebounds, that's still pretty good.
In terms of the upcoming Duke trip, what are you looking forward to and which guys on the team do you know?
I know Jahlil (Okafor). I know him pretty well. I know Quinn (Cook). Just trying to see how it is at Duke. They play Syracuse.
(Jones, Kenucky reporter) With Kentucky, how do you think they've played this year and what do you think of how he's used these guys?
He's done a great job. All those egos and great players on the team, he molds them together and they play together undefeated. He's done a great job.
(Jones, Kentucky reporter) Do you like the idea of being on a team with five, six, seven, eight, nine five-star guys versus being the man?
The most important thing to me is winning and those guys are winning, so..
Can you talk about your improved rebounding? Your numbers are going up a lot this year versus last year. Is that something you wanted to do this year?
T his was my goal this year. I can score, but I wanted to add more to my game. I'm one of the best rebounding guards in the country and that's what I strive for.
And defensively, where do you see yourself at now and where do you want to be long-term?
I always could be better defensively. Overall, I feel like I've gotten better using my length.
Is there a coach or coaching staff that you feel you have the best relationship with at this point?
The best? I don't know right now.
How strong is the pull to stay home and play for St. Louis?
It's pretty strong, you know. They've been recruiting me for a while. Obviously, my mom went to law school at SLU, my dad played at SLU, and I'm a hometown kid and I know how much it would mean for the city and the state.
What are some goals or games that you're looking forward to down the stretch?
This was definitely one.
So, you got the W.
This was a big-time win for us, especially on the road. And then, this Friday, we play my dad's school, CBC, which will end a six game stretch.
Good luck.
How much college basketball do you watch?
When I get a chance to, I try to watch as much as possible.
Can you talk a little bit about what you like about Duke's program?
You know, they've got one of the greatest coaches ever. He's got about a thousand wins now. They've got a great tradition and great guys coming out of that program. It's somewhere I could see myself going.
How about North Carolina?
You know, Duke and North Carolina are somewhat similar because of the Final Fours and National Championships and coaches and guys they produce.
Who will be on the trip with you? Your mother? Your dad? Your coaches?
I think just my two parents.
How about Kansas? Are they on you hard right now?
Yeah. I talked to Coach Self today and Coach Kurtis Townsend. They told me good luck and that they'd be watching.
What do you like about them?
They're one of the top five programs, like Duke and North Carolina. Coach Self has done a great job producing pros.