New Big East

Taj79

It could just be all the same rumor, but I have heard from three completely (I mean completely) unrelated non-AD employees at SLU that SLU was outreached to during Biondi's Asia trip and he said he would talk to them when he got back.

Yech. I'm considering a dive off the Continental building, Don Draper-style.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could just be all the same rumor, but I have heard from three completely (I mean completely) unrelated non-AD employees at SLU that SLU was outreached to during Biondi's Asia trip and he said he would talk to them when he got back.

For all his faults I find this pretty far fetched.

Did Biondi fail to sell SLU? Probably.

Did Biondi refuse to take the Big East's call? I'd have trouble believing that.

If true, which I doubt, he should be subject to inquisition type torture; the rack, the steel head band, etc.

For all his faults I find this pretty far fetched.

Did Biondi fail to sell SLU? Probably.

Did Biondi refuse to take the Big East's call? I'd have trouble believing that.

LOL I picture him sitting at his desk, phone rings, caller id says BIG EAST, thinks about it for a second, goes back to words with friends

LOL I picture him sitting at his desk, phone rings, caller id says BIG EAST, thinks about it for a second, goes back to words with friends

he probably screens GOD calls, too. takes calls from his broker and his proctologist. that's about it. sockcucker...

Who is this St. Louis radio guy/Mizzou honk at issue?

I have no real idea who they are talking about. It can't be Slaten, because I don't think he has a home right now on radio. Of guys that would have decent access to information like this, Cusumano has always been a pretty good fan of SLU, Bernie isn't on the radio anymore and Rammer is the biggest SLU honk you can find. Not sure what other names out there would even discuss this, let alone be considered a Mizzou honk. Karriker maybe? McKernan?

I have no real idea who they are talking about. It can't be Slaten, because I don't think he has a home right now on radio. Of guys that would have decent access to information like this, Cusumano has always been a pretty good fan of SLU, Bernie isn't on the radio anymore and Rammer is the biggest SLU honk you can find. Not sure what other names out there would even discuss this, let alone be considered a Mizzou honk. Karriker maybe? McKernan?

Ever heard Larry Thornton from KSDK/101.1? Total Mizzou honk, can't stand SLU, acts like he's 15.

McKernan is generally pretty respectful toward SLU, IMO.

slaten currently = 1190 AM at 3 - 6 pm. use tunein radio as actually radio reception is hit and miss. slaten not much of any college program fan these days. since rickma passed away has been indifferent towards slu. i would say leans towards hate of the tigers still.

One thing I wanted to note about Fox Sports 1 and the new Big East is that they are going to show A LOT of games. They are paying big money and the schools benefit from that; they also MAY benefit from more exposure. For fans, the new Big East sounds like a no brainer--your team will have plenty of games on TV (and it sounds like they are guaranteeing ALL teams are shown, although marquee teams will be on more). They will be showing games most nights.

The MAY part of the above is that Fox Sports 1 itself is a gamble. There will be growing pains. It should work out but a lot of things are changing in the TV world (non-sports fans have even sued over forced payment for sports channels). Sports channels may grow but they may shrink and they may become more a la carte. Are large cable and satellite providers going to give Fox Sports 1 (currently buried in obscure parts of the dial) a better placement? Fox seems all in on this (even putting forth candidates from Fox Sports to be commissioner of the Smaller Big East) so it would seem that it has a good chance. However, CBS wanted to make a big splash and inked a deal with the A-10 a few years ago that initially was reported to be good money and more exposure (the exposure part turned out to be the "turd in the punch bowl" type).

Where are our resident self-proclaimed "insiders" when you need them? I'm sure they know what is going on.

why share that with us morons

he probably screens GOD calls, too. takes calls from his broker and his proctologist. that's about it. sockcucker...

Lawrence... there's a Jesus? on line 1 for you???.......... "who?...... sales call"

the main reason to remain in the A-10 is simply that it is still the most powerful men's basketball conference available to be in. the mvc and the horizon is a step down and will always be a step down. since this is our bread and butter sport, why would we want to be in a lesser basketball conference. case closed. however if you want to go on.......

second, the A-10 is also still the conference with the most like minded schools as Saint Louis University, both philosophically and ethically.

third, while there is no doubt the travel is tough and expensive, especially for the non-revenue sports, but on the other hand, the competition for the non-revenue sports would likely be far more than Saint Louis can handle. we would likely be at or near the bottom in most of the non-revenue sports in the mvc. we are extremely competitive in all sports in the the A-10.

Last the A-10 still has more to do with the target geographic areas that Saint Louis University wants to farm for prospective students.

Yes the new Big East gives us all the above plus is a better basketball conference by far, but we arent invited to the new Big East, thus the best place to be remains the A-10.

Same old, same old. :D

Last year, if we were in The MVC, wouldn't it be better than the A-10?

Wichita State, SLU, Creighton, 3 top teams out of eleven, all won first round NCAA games. Hell, Wichita State made it to The Final Four.

Without us, there would be 4 of 15 make it in the A-10.

(bizzle, do the RPI math, to see if it is true.)

Oh, and "like minded", that means a lot. Reggie & Lancona came here to play against "like minded" schools, I am sure.

Same old, same old. :D

Last year, if we were in The MVC, wouldn't it be better than the A-10?

Wichita State, SLU, Creighton, 3 top teams out of eleven, all won first round NCAA games. Hell, Wichita State made it to The Final Four.

Without us, there would be 4 of 15 make it in the A-10.

(bizzle, do the RPI math, to see if it is true.)

Oh, and "like minded", that means a lot. Reggie & Lancona came here to play against "like minded" schools, I am sure.

In a vacuum, if you placed SLU in the MVC with the same RPI that they had last year and took them out of the A-10, the conference RPI's would be:

MVC = .5419 (was actually .5336 last season)

A-10 = .5428 (was actually .5479 last season)

That places the MVC in a tie for 8th with the SEC, instead of 9th, where they were. It keeps the A-10 in 7th place. As far as tournament teams from the A-10, you are removing the tournament champs from the A-10, so there would be another auto-bid. It is very likely that one of the other 4 at-larges take that auto-bid (VCU was in the finals), but it does change the overall forecast. You also have a team (UMass) who was a bubble team (RPI 57) that might have had a chance to get an at-large bid, especially since they wouldn't have a loss to SLU on their record in that scenario.

So, yes, it is likely there would have been 4 bids out of 15 from the A-10, but it is really hard to say for certain that would have been the case, at least without going in depth into each team's record and looking at the likely outcomes with a changed schedule with SLU in the MVC and 15 teams in the A-10. You'd have to guess at the conference schedules because of the format change and come up with likely scenarios. You'd also have to assume that Creighton, WSU and SLU all get in from the MVC with 2 being at large bids and one getting the auto-bid. But, again, that isn't a given.

mb, maybe you didnt attend slu, i dont remember. but for some of us it is about more than basketball. i want my alma mater in the best position to prosper across the board. not just men's basketball. all sports, the school in gaining quality students (not just student athletes, but all students). so while it might not have meant a lot to reggie and lancona, i think it means a great deal to saint louis university.

and to throw it back at you, i doubt reggie and lancona even know where cedar rapids, peoria, evansville, carbondale, springfield, etc are located. one look at few of those barns riding the bus into those towns and they might really be questioning what they got themselves into.

It is good to see that her "innovative changes" are basically having the women's basketball tournament leech off the mens tournament. A page right out of the WNBA playbook.

I also like that the headline is that she is IN the pole, not on the pole.

mb, maybe you didnt attend slu, i dont remember. but for some of us it is about more than basketball. i want my alma mater in the best position to prosper across the board. not just men's basketball. all sports, the school in gaining quality students (not just student athletes, but all students). so while it might not have meant a lot to reggie and lancona, i think it means a great deal to saint louis university.

and to throw it back at you, i doubt reggie and lancona even know where cedar rapids, peoria, evansville, carbondale, springfield, etc are located. one look at few of those barns riding the bus into those towns and they might really be questioning what they got themselves into.

Of course I attended SLU.

I do not see a big difference in quality of basketball in the MVC vs the A-10. Majerus agreed, said so. And bizzle will tell you, though it is debateable.

IMO it was not worth the extensive travel for all teams to join the A-10. No rivalries, etc, we've been over this...

It WILL be worth it if we get into the new BE. Big names, tradition, $ 3M a yr in TV money, on Fox Sports all the time.

Why do you make fun of small towns? So, a 5* player that can go to Champaign, IL, or Columbia, MO... should he go to Fordham because it is in NY City?

I had also heard that Biondi was of the opinion that the BE should be bending over backwards to recruit SLU into their conference. I guess it is all water under the bridge now.